Thread: [RESOLVED] Any troubleshooting ideas to solve CR causing VS crash?

Resolved [RESOLVED] Any troubleshooting ideas to solve CR causing VS crash?

I can't preview a crystal report because whenever I do it crashes Visual Studio.
    We might be using CR not the way everybody else does. We have rpt files and we run them in Visual Studio. We have a CRSample solution with some code that can interface with the rpt files and then the files themselves.
    My question is not really what you think is wrong becase I don't think you could know that, but what I might be able to look at to see for myself?
    I can run some reports but not this particular one. Could it be I am missing some control or support file? (This report prints to a label not a regular piece of paper).
    The application event log gives me not very helpful info like "Event Name: APPCRASH" from Source = Windows Error Reporting, and "The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception" from devenv.exe. Is this something I can find more about? A crash with no specific error messages to help is kind of hard to fix.
    Thanks.
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Re: Any troubleshooting ideas to solve CR causing VS crash?

I remember doing some tests with a Label-Printer (instead of "regular" Laserprinter) and i encountered something similiar, since the printer-driver seemed to be very picky about sent parameters.
    1) Ist this "label" printed on a Laser-Printer (e.g. just different/second paper-tray) or is it a "real" different/dedicated label-printer?
    2) Bitness of drivers/your application? IIRC, there might be some trouble if your App is 32-Bit, and the OS provides only 64-Bit drivers

Since you mention the event-log of the OS says "The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception": Can you log/debug the source-code of your app?
    It's just to make sure that it's your app causing the crash, and not something else
    Last edited by Zvoni; Tomorrow at 31:69 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One System to rule them all, One Code to find them,
    One IDE to bring them all, and to the Framework bind them,
    in the Land of Redmond, where the Windows lie
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    People call me crazy because i'm jumping out of perfectly fine airplanes.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Code is like a joke: If you have to explain it, it's bad

Are you going to a dymo label printer?

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

@szlamany, I am not sure but before I find out I need to ask why the printer would even matter when I am not printing yet, just trying to run the preview?
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

I believe it formats to the default/ selected printer
    Sometimes the Programmer
    Sometimes the DBA

Mazz1

I know dymo had a huge issue a few weeks ago with some driver problems with Windows 10. If dymo was involved I was going to ask you to google your errors with "dymo" added...

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

I see. Anyway, I am kind of starting over and so far I *am* able to do a print preview with my new report. So I will see as I build it up into what the other report is if it reaches the point where it crashes. But so far, so good. Thanks for the replies and I'll reply back one way or another.

Oh, Steve's reply snuck in there. The odd thing is, when I use the report directly in our application it prints the labels just fine. It is only when I am trying to work with the rpt file in VS and try to preview it, the crash would happen then.

OK, the *interesting* thing is, I am building up a new report. I have four simple fields that come from my SELECT statement. The results are correct and no crash occurs. I added parameters because otherwise it is selecting every row in the table and of course I don't want the whole table. Now I am crashing.

I am looking into this: The old version of PSAPI.DLL loaded from location other than C:\Windows\system32 from https://apps.support.sap.com/sap/sup...edge/E/1314259

So in the meantime, my coworker came over, the one who generated the report in the first place which I am modifying, and we installed Crystal. I am not sure why they did not give Crystal to me from day one. Maybe developing Crystal reports within Visual Studio isn't the best development environment?

I mean, I kind of suspect that was the issue, if you recall in my original post I said We might be using CR not the way everybody else does

When I was developing CR reports for use in VB (or .Net) I always developed them in CR and just used them in the app.
    Sometimes the Programmer
    Sometimes the DBA

Mazz1

Honestly, I din't even know I had the option of getting Crystal. You'd think they'd have given it to me from the get-go.
    Thanks for all the help. I will close this now.