Thread: Making 'cut' menu items for specific places in a text box - Windows Form Application

Post Making 'cut' menu items for specific places in a text box - Windows Form Application

So basically I'm wanting to make a 'cut' menu item for each specific area of a textbox, for example: 'cut left' (numbers on image) 'cut right' (symbols on image) 'cut middle' (letters on image). I'm also looking to make a 'clean' menu item which removes all symbols from the textbox - how would I achieve these two things?

cut tool sample.txt

Re: Making 'cut' menu items for specific places in a text box - Windows Form Applicat

You need to make your own contextmenustrip. When you say 'cut left' are you meaning the left part of the current line or the left part of all lines.
    Also have a look at the clipboard object, which has a SetText method. You want to look at String.Split too...

Re: Making 'cut' menu items for specific places in a text box - Windows Form Applicat

Thank you for your reply, sorry I'm not really sure what I'm looking for exactly (I'm very new to programming) and I mean part of all the lines.

Ok, so you want to take, for example, the left part of all lines. What do you plan to do with those parts? Then, do you want to take the middle parts, or right parts, at different times? So for example you might have 3 buttons. But what you plan to do with those substrings is most important at this stage...

In that example, I'm looking to 'cut' (remove) part of all those lines but I'm struggling as I'm not familiar with substrings at this stage.

Try this...

Attachment 181301

Code:
    Public Class Form1

Private leftParts As New List(Of String)
        Private middleParts As New List(Of String)
        Private rightParts As New List(Of String)

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
            'cut left
            If leftParts.Count = 0 Then
                leftParts = New List(Of String)
                Dim lines() As String = TextBox1.Lines
                For x As Integer = 0 To lines.Count - 1
                    If lines(x).Trim = "" Then Continue For
                    leftParts.Add(lines(x).Substring(0, lines(x).IndexOf("    ")))
                    lines(x) = lines(x).Replace(leftParts.Last & "    ", "")
                Next
                TextBox1.Lines = lines
                MsgBox(String.Join(Environment.NewLine, leftParts.ToArray))
            End If
        End Sub

Private Sub Button2_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button2.Click
            'cut middle
            If middleParts.Count = 0 Then
                middleParts = New List(Of String)
                    Dim parts() As String = lines(x).Split(New String() {"    "}, StringSplitOptions.RemoveEmptyEntries)
                    middleParts.Add(If(parts.Length = 3, parts(1), parts(0)))
                    lines(x) = lines(x).Replace(middleParts.Last & "    ", "")
                Next
                TextBox1.Lines = lines
                MsgBox(String.Join(Environment.NewLine, middleParts.ToArray))
            End If
        End Sub

Private Sub Button3_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button3.Click
            'cut right
            If rightParts.Count = 0 Then
                rightParts = New List(Of String)
                    Dim parts() As String = lines(x).Split(New String() {"    "}, StringSplitOptions.RemoveEmptyEntries)
                    rightParts.Add(parts.Last)
                    lines(x) = lines(x).Replace(rightParts.Last, "")
                Next
                TextBox1.Lines = lines
                MsgBox(String.Join(Environment.NewLine, rightParts.ToArray))
            End If
        End Sub

End Class

That's exactly what I needed thank you! Is it possible for when pressing one of the 3 buttons, for it to ask how many characters across you'd like to cut?

All 3 of the Button_Click handlers i posted there, just use the 4 character spaces " "
    How do you mean by asking how many characters across? If, for example, you have "123456" do you mean a subset of that string, or a subset of leftPart, or a subset of rightPart? If you're talking all of the leftPart and part of the middlePart, it'd have to be rewritten..