Thread: Finally. Help after Running Winhlp32.msi on windows 10/W10

Lively Member

Finally. Help after Running Winhlp32.msi on windows 10/W10

This seemed too easy, just run the winhlp32.msi and clicking on my help.chm file, I do get the help displayed, but as a separate task.

I call this progress. But there is no link to the help file inside my W10 vb app available.

Do you suppose something can be kludged together to make it work?
    One can dream.
    There is a computer disease that anybody who works with computers knows about. It's a very serious disease and it interferes completely with the work. The trouble with computers is that you 'play' with them!
    Richard P. Feynman

Frenzied Member

Re: Finally. Help after Running Winhlp32.msi on windows 10/W10

If you're asking how to open a *.chm file in vb6 from your program it should work just to use the "Shell" statement.
    Last edited by Peter Swinkels; Apr 24th, 2021 at 04:14 PM.

Lively Member

Thanks. But I want to display the context help I programmed into my app.

If I do shell, Is there a way to switch to the shelled help when the user right clicks on help?
    A caveat; my w10 is 32 bit.
    Last edited by VB-only; Apr 24th, 2021 at 02:32 PM.
    There is a computer disease that anybody who works with computers knows about. It's a very serious disease and it interferes completely with the work. The trouble with computers is that you 'play' with them!
    Richard P. Feynman

PowerPoster

Winhlp is the old help system, unrelated to CHM files at all. "Running" a CHM file is nearly as demented an idea.

It might be worth looking at this attachment which uses several ways to get CHM help in context. There are probably other samples in the CodeBank.

The HTML Help API function itself is documented in the CHM help for the HTML Help Workshop tool.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Lively Member

Thanks but what is this help demo? There's no doc telling me what this does. I installed it and ran the vb code and nothing happens. Click on the ? just hangs.
    It's a bunch of code with no comments.

I am able to get my original .hlp to run from the desk top, but is it only because I have w10 32 bit machine? I would prefer to run this way.
    Richard P. Feynman

PowerPoster

I guess you don't know how "What's this?" help works. You click the ? and then click the control you want help for. With "F1" help you select the control and press F1.

Lively Member

Your right. I never did get an explanation for "what's this" Thanks.
    Richard P. Feynman