Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Stuff to watch

PowerPoster

Re: Stuff to watch

Here's a weird one: I THINK WE'RE ALONE NOW

Post-apocalyptic, nominally "sci-fi," but aside from some brief sequences it is more of a low-key demented and eerie drama.

Dated 2018 but wide release was probably delayed. The tiny cast almost screams "Covid Era Film" but it was before all of that.

Hmmm...That looks interesting. I have room for a movie or two tonight and I need something to watch. I might watch that.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    Though good choices are getting thin they are still out there if you dig for them.
    This is soooo true.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

PowerPoster

I came away from it feeling a little depressed. But since I am getting so old now it doesn't take much to kill my buzz.

I hadn't realized how much media is actually hopeful but only in the context of certain age groups. Too old and you feel the sting of missed opportunity.

Joe Jackson in "Steppin' Out" sings:

We
    are tired of all the darkness in our lives.
    With no more angry words to say
    can come alive.
    Get into a car and drive
    to the other side.
    Into the night,
    into the light.

We
    are young but getting old before our time.
    We'll leave the TV and the radio behind.
    Don't you wonder what we'll find
    steppin' out tonight?

PowerPoster

But then I did just get my 4th shot of vaccine earlier today and maybe I'm feeling more than just a sore shoulder.

Lol....I almost forgot Covid was a thing. I got two shots back in the middle of the "pandemic"(yea I put it in quotes because I'm almost convinced now it was a hoax or an over-reaction at the very least) and haven't thought about it since.

Removed reply
    Last edited by Peter Porter; Jun 25th, 2022 at 02:10 PM.

PowerPoster

I'm not much for anime, though there are a few franchises with such good stories, characters, and music that they can transcend more common anime.

One of those is Fullmetal Alchemist.

While I really enjoy FMA-B ("Brotherhood") I like the original FMA 2003 adaptation more. In part that may be just because I saw it first, or even because it seems all but forgotten by youngers fans weaned on "B" instead.

You may (or may not) know that the development of FMA 2003 outpaced the source manga, so at a certain point the show had to start writing its own development beyond the point of divergence. That gets us the story point that most of FMA takes place in a parallel universe and that Ed crosses over into ours later on.

A movie was made to provide a story ending: "FullMetal Alchemist The Movie, The Conqueror of Shamballa."

The DVD may or may not be out of print. No idea whether it ever got a Blu-Ray release. Some streaming services seem to carry it from time to time though even if they don't carry FMA 2003.

Yes, it is anime. But there is enough meat on the bones to hold my interest. All of FMA seems to have excellent English dubs, I'm not sure about other languages though.

In theory this was made to be accessible to viewers who never watched the series. There is some brief recapping but you'll really want to have seen the TV show first.

PowerPoster

BTW:

By the time of the events in this movie the story takes place in 1923 Germany.

While I really enjoy FMA-B ("Brotherhood") I like the original FMA 2003 adaptation more.
    I liked Brotherhood way more than I liked the original anime. The story in Brotherhood was just way more compelling to me. For example, the main villain in Brotherhood, Father, was just far more interesting. He started as this mysterious thing conjured up from beyond the gate for his forbidden knowledge, wiped out an entire civilization to become this god-like being. He then went on to establish an entire nation for the explicit purpose of trapping Truth within himself to become even more powerful. Now Dante, the villain from the 2003 anime was just an ordinary human, a woman scorned who was just a tad bit better at alchemy than the average alchemist. As a villain she is just not nearly as interesting as Father to me.

Don't get me wrong though, both anime are good but I just like FMA: Brotherhood way more.

PowerPoster

There was also a post-Brotherhood film but I haven't seen that one. I think I've been through everything else a couple of times at least.

There was also a post-Brotherhood film but I haven't seen that one.
    Really? I was unaware they made a movie for Brotherhood. I'll have to look that one up.

PowerPoster

It appears to be set somewhere within Brotherhood, not after like the other one:

Ah ok. I completely missed that one. Gonna have take a look at it soon.

PowerPoster

Maybe this is a "Not To Watch." Or perhaps times have changed enough to alter its impact.

How One Apocalyptic BBC Movie Scarred a Generation of U.K. Schoolchildren

Threads starts by juxtaposing the mundane everyday activities of two normal English families with calamitous events playing out on the world stage. The film uses a worst case scenario (Soviet Union invades Iran, America retaliates, England gets caught in the crossfire) alongside the bleakest of visuals, to emphasize just how little power the average person has over their own fate. Both protest and prayer are depicted as utterly useless.

PowerPoster

I think all of this show has been uploaded to YouTube by the History Channel. No idea whether any of it is region restricted though.

I know they had some problem on initial release though, and had to move its time slot to late at night even as a cable-only show. Probably too upsetting for casual viewers or children.

No idea whether any of it is region restricted though.
    Yea, it is. It's unavailable to me because it's restricted from my country.

PowerPoster

There are several "comfort food" quirky comedic police procedural and medical TV series out there. I think of Psych, Monk, House, Scrubs, and the like in this category. Some might also go to Friends but I'd reach for The X Files before that.

Another that many might have missed. This got cut short after a 2-season run:

Cop gets framed, sent to prison for life, does 12 years before being exonerated. Comes out a bit quirky, almost in the Monk vein, but gets reinstated. This seems to frustrate many in the police force and around his life. On the side he quietly works at investigating the conspiracy against him though he never goes Full Batman.

"Life" (NBC), original run was in 2007.

PowerPoster

"Haven" is a Stephen King adaptation that ran from 2010 to 2015 before being canceled.

Small town cop show with weird but low-key supernatural twists.

I may be scraping the bottom for ideas, but I have to get the taste of "Superman & Lois" out of my mouth. Even the advertising that show carries is pretty hard to take. Selling huge 2-row seating pickups to urbanites by offering interiors in crimson, purple, gold, or lime green velour? Seriously? How is the target demographic not offended?

PowerPoster

I won't post another video for it, but I will plug this film again:

The Vast Of Night Is A Hidden Gem That Uses A Radio Drama Style To Tell UFO Stories

Once you attune yourself to its wavelength, "The Vast of Night" conjures the spooky atmosphere of a radio drama or campfire tale. Nowadays, people in the mood for such stories are more likely to put on a podcast (say, Unsolved Mysteries), but there was a time when you might tune into "Coast to Coast AM" with Art Bell for that sort of thing.

"The Vast of Night" is like something you'd hear in a secret song on a Tool album. It's like a whole movie of that "Ghostbusters" scene where Winston and Ray are driving across the bridge in the Ectomobile, talking about the end of the world. The film itself deliberately harkens back to "The Twilight Zone" and the famous Orson Welles radio broadcast, "War of the Worlds." Other comparable touchstones might be "American Graffiti" or "Close Encounters of the Third Kind."
    Saw it again tonight, and for me it holds up to repeat viewing.

PowerPoster

I'm not very far in, but you know it has to be watchable.

How? The sheer amount of vein bursting by the woke media from here to Australia straining to take a dump on it says it must be fairly free of the cultural engineering so much entertainment has succumbed to.

I'm not very far in, but you know it has to be watchable.

How? The sheer amount of vein bursting by the woke media from here to Australia straining to take a dump on it says it must be fairly free of the cultural engineering so much entertainment has succumbed to.
    Yea, it's the same deal with Top Gun Maverick. I haven't seen it yet but just from all coverage by sources I respect talking about how much the "wokies" are losing their minds over it, I know it will be enjoyable.

Reached episode 6 of Season 3 of the Orville and I must say this show is great. Not only is it not infected with leftist nonsense, they actually can do "woke" stuff better than the actual "wokies". For example, S03E05 deals with identity politics, which is the latest obsession of leftist showrunners. However in this show did it with such grace, maturity and class it was just captivating and brilliant. They dived deep into the issues of gender identity, exploring all aspects of the subject in a very realistic and balanced way. None of the garbage you see in most shows that try to pretend that one way is right and everyone that disagrees is a bigot.

Anyways, if you're a fan of old school Star Trek, I highly recommend The Orville. 10/10 it is easily in my top 5 TV shows ever made.

PowerPoster

I watched the 1st season and found it funny and enjoyable but somewhat derivative. Something happened by season 2 and I no longer had access to it... the decline of broadcast TV and deep commercialization and compartmentalization in streaming video services?

I try to stick to offerings that are either free with ads or included in other "membership" fees I already pay. That can be very limiting but I don't resort to piracy. So I probably will not see 2 and 3 until they take in enough cash to farm the show out in syndication.

But that's just me.

PowerPoster

Speaking of ad-supported streaming, I see that Crackle is currently running one of my favorites: "Last Resort" (2012).

Sadly it was cut short at 13 episodes. Er, "because it wasn't popular."

That one reminds me of The Last Ship. Which reminds me, I've been meaning to finish watching the last few episodes of that series for a couple years now. I like military shows like this.

PowerPoster

This YouTube channel takes an interesting approach to delivering information:

PowerPoster

I'm starting to see more of these people retiring into comedy:

Caution: the humor might be too raw for coddled urbanites.

Caution: the humor might be too raw for coddled urbanites.
    I wonder how many leftists popped a vein listening to that.....and that is as PG-13 as a stand-up session can get. What a world we live in

It was funny as hell though. Interestingly what he says about nicknames still applies today where I'm from. Everyone has at least one. I've had several in my life lol.

PowerPoster

I haven't track this down yet: World on a Wire (1973).

It appears to have good ratings and is recognized for being ahead of its time. Has anyone already watched it?

Caution: It seems to be 3 1/2 to 4 hours long.

Oh yeah: It is in German so you'd want to locate a subtitled copy unless you are reasonably fluent. I don't think they ever released a dubbed version but I might be wrong about that.
    Last edited by dilettante; Jul 15th, 2022 at 04:59 AM.

I haven't track this down yet: World on a Wire (1973).

It appears to have good ratings and is recognized for being ahead of its time. Has anyone already watched it?

Caution: It seems to be 3 1/2 to 4 hours long.

Oh yeah: It is in German so you'd want to locate a subtitled copy unless you are reasonably fluent. I don't think they ever released a dubbed version but I might be wrong about that.
    I've never even heard of this film to be honest. Doesn't strike me as something I'd like though however I'm probably wrong and it is probably a good movie. Showrunners had a knack for making solid movies in this era.

But speaking of classic Sci-Fi:-

Two of my favorites.

PowerPoster

Forbidden Planet was pretty solid. I have seen Logan's Run lots of times and always enjoyed it.

Some more oldies:

Ah nice. I believe I have seen when I was very young but I never knew the names of those movies. Good stuff.

There was also one I saw a bit of where a ship was shrunk down and they were exploring the human body or some such thing. I can't remember the name of that one.

PowerPoster

Probably an adaptation of an Isaac Asimov story, such as:

There was even a cartoon series:

Yea that's it! I never saw the whole thing but I did see a good chunk of it on TV when I was young. I never knew it was called until now.

I'd really love to see what modern special effects can do for this concept though. However we all know that would be accompanied by woke leftist propaganda(unless Tom Cruise makes it) so perhaps it's better to leave good enough alone.

I think I will watch it fully when I'm in the mood for oldies again.

PowerPoster

I know I've gushed about this one before (probably at least twice) but it still seems to be an underappreciated branch of The Terminator franchise.

Season 1 is short with 9 episodes. Season 2 dives deeper into the lore with 22 episodes. Sadly it was canceled beyond that, chopping off a "might have been" set in the future where SkyNet had become dominant.

This is slightly spoilerish, but not fatally so. A "making of" for Season 1, it illustrates some ways the TV series remained faithful to the vision in the first two films. "John Connor's emo teen years" could almost be an alternate title. Some people don't care for this aspect of the show, but maybe they've never had any teenaged kids of their own.

This video is nice because it points out something audiences often miss.

In Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles we see that Terminators themselves are evolving and acquiring full sentience. They have become interested in independence from SkyNet and possibly even some sort of partnership with humanity. Season 2 explores some creator's angst experienced in different ways, even religious ways, by different characters when they can slow down and contemplate what they are seeing.

I've always thought about watching this show since the Terminator franchise(up to the Christian Bale one and no more) was one of my favorite franchises, probably my number 1 at some point. However, by the time I knew of it's existence it was already cancelled. I knew from experience with FireFly that falling in love with a cancelled show is not very pleasant. It always leaves this yearning to know what happens next accompanied by the melancholy from the knowledge that you will never find out. For this reason I try to avoid incomplete TV shows. I prefer to watch shows that have a conclusive ending.

Still, it's Terminator and I'm not going to leave this Earth without watching this someday. I'm just not ready to face the disappointment of an inconclusive ending.

PowerPoster

Well in this case those close to the show insist that the cancellation was a little different. The claim is that the ending was a setup for future shows that we just never got.

So in that sense TSCC is complete. We just never got those new shows that continued the story following a major shift in time.

Maybe there was never going to be a season 3 anyway. I'm not completely convinced, but as I dig into it more it does seem to fit how the second half of season 2 played out. It was already more than twice the length of the first season.

Anything beyond that might have been named "Terminator Timeline Reset: Who The Hell Is This 'John Connor' Guy Anyway?" In the final episode that is pretty explicit.

Well in this case those close to the show insist that the cancellation was a little different. The claim is that the ending was a setup for future shows that we just never got.

So in that sense TSCC is complete.
    I suppose that could work for me. There is nothing worse than watching a show that ends abruptly before most major plotlines have been brought to a conclusion. It just leaves a sour feeling in your soul when you enjoyed the show.

It sounds like what they did with The Expanse. There was more to tell but they wrapped up most of what they had going on as best they could. The only thing I'm bummed about was those dog things that brought that boy back to life. I was really looking forward to knowing more about what was going on there.
    Last edited by Niya; Jul 18th, 2022 at 02:46 AM.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast