Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 80 of 364

Thread: Stuff to watch

  1. #41

    Thread Starter
    PowerPoster
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    23,809

    Re: Stuff to watch

    Interesting background on a beloved and influential classic:


  2. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,802

    Re: Stuff to watch

    Very interesting indeed.

    I have a kind of soft spot for some classic Sci-Fi. Most of them are cheesy and dumb. But some like Forbidden Planet are absolute masterpieces as far as I'm concerned.

  3. #43

    Thread Starter
    PowerPoster
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    23,809

    Re: Stuff to watch

    If you missed it, this series is very engaging and bingeable:



    A take on automation and AI but with a focus on the people, both organic and machine.

  4. #44

    Thread Starter
    PowerPoster
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    23,809

    Re: Stuff to watch

    Here's a clip:



    Odi is a damaged "Synth" who has recently lost his master and become self-aware. He's struggling with his self awareness, independence, and purpose.

    The priest thinks he's just a random human parishoner.

  5. #45
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,802

    Re: Stuff to watch

    Oh I watched the first season of that show like 3 or 4 years ago. I was waiting too see if they'd make a second season or if it would get cancelled. Guess I kinda forgot about it eventually.

  6. #46

    Thread Starter
    PowerPoster
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    23,809

    Re: Stuff to watch

    The casting threw me at first in this reboot of a classic series I enjoyed over 40 years ago. Takes me right back with waves of nostalgia though.


  7. #47
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,802

    Re: Stuff to watch

    Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    The casting threw me at first in this reboot of a classic series I enjoyed over 40 years ago. Takes me right back with waves of nostalgia though.

    When I was younger I naïve, I used to enjoy romantic comedies like this but now I find it rare that I enjoy them. The majority of them portray the men as lovesick simps with no backbones trying desperately to win over some woman you'd never even notice if she passed you on the street. Not saying that's what this is, but a lot of modern remakes are tainted with modern garbage ideas of how a man should act. It's very disgusting.

  8. #48

    Thread Starter
    PowerPoster
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    23,809

    Re: Stuff to watch

    Well, they did rework the story a bit. The female housekeeper is portrayed much younger now, and with a different background and strengths. I'm not far enough into it yet to see where it may go with the female lead who begins as a minor character. So far though it keeps to its time and has not reconned the past too extensively.

    So far the women and the men are all pretty strong. Season 2 isn't available here yet, so we'll have to see where it goes.

    The story is about a young, newly certified country veterinarian as he makes his way in the world and acquires strong relationships in a new community and a kind of extended family.

  9. #49
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,802

    Re: Stuff to watch

    Sounds interesting and hopeful. I might look at it when I'm in the mood for some "feel good" lightheartedness.

    These days I'm in the mood for something more dark. I was feeling a Nazi theme last week and watched both Defiance and Schindler's List. This week I stumbled onto one of the best vampire flicks I've seen in a long time, Midnight Mass and I'm in the mood for more shows like it:-


    It's a vampire mini-series but it's unlike any vampire show I've ever seen before. The vampires are actually not the main theme but just serves to carry the real story which is about religious belief and our relationship as people to religion and how we use it to relate to each other. It's a character driven story so don't expect vampires ripping people's heads off every 20 minutes. It's not an exciting show but it is a very good piece of storytelling that will captivate you if you give it a real chance. One of the best shows of the modern age. It's rare to find shows made with this level of quality and care towards the crafting and portrayals of it's characters in 2021.

  10. #50

    Thread Starter
    PowerPoster
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    23,809

    Re: Stuff to watch

    "All Creatures" isn't all giggles. It deals with its share of stressful situations and pathos.

  11. #51
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,802

    Re: Stuff to watch

    Ah ok. I love a good drama, especially when they aren't afraid to push the boundaries a little and go a little dark.

  12. #52

    Thread Starter
    PowerPoster
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    23,809

    Re: Stuff to watch

    BTW: The original UK airings were much earlier than international syndication airings.

  13. #53
    New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2021
    Posts
    1

    Re: Stuff to watch

    New Spider-Man

  14. #54
    PowerPoster
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    6,254

    Re: Stuff to watch

    To bring up another great (somewhat shorter) TV-series (7 Episodes)...

    "The Queen's gambit"
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10048342/

    I'm not much of a chess-player, but this little Masterpiece had no weaknesses IMO:
    - great cinematography, great story, great acting
    - great portrayal of "the 60s"
    - great insights into "how chess works, when played at a professional level"

    "Chess is boring"?

    Nope, not in this case - hard to describe, how exactly they managed it -
    but this was a binge-watch, keeping me at the edge of my seat throughout.

    Olaf

  15. #55

    Thread Starter
    PowerPoster
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    23,809

    Re: Stuff to watch

    Something like 24 short (about 15 minute) episodes, hilarious and packed with cameos.


  16. #56
    Hyperactive Member Peter Porter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    473

    Don't Look Up, a satirical science fiction film

    I just finished watching Don't Look up. It's getting mixed reviews, but I personally found it entertaining.

    As of posting this comment, it's currently #1 on Netflix.

    Last edited by Peter Porter; Dec 27th, 2021 at 07:16 PM.

  17. #57
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,802

    Re: Stuff to watch

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Porter View Post
    I just finished watching Don't Look up. It's getting mixed reviews, but I personally found it entertaining.

    As of posting this comment, it's currently #1 on Netflix.

    I just have one question....is it woke? I absolutely hate woke TV shows and movies which is practically every thing made after 2015. It's really hard to find those rare gems where the showrunners are not trying to convince you that there are 57 genders or that men are just horrible beasts with no brain and women are these perfect beings that need to be worshiped.

  18. #58
    Hyperactive Member Peter Porter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    473

    Re: Stuff to watch

    Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    I just have one question....is it woke? I absolutely hate woke TV shows and movies which is practically every thing made after 2015. It's really hard to find those rare gems where the showrunners are not trying to convince you that there are 57 genders or that men are just horrible beasts with no brain and women are these perfect beings that need to be worshiped.
    Is it woke? Do you always ask that question when someone recommends a film or TV show? Did the video's pre-image worry you?

    Normally I read reviews before viewing anything, but I decided to sidestep that, and took a chance with this film and found it enjoyable, even though it's not perfect.

    I just give you some tidbits of the cast to help you decide:

    • Jennifer Lawrence - student who discovers a comet.
    • Leonardo DiCaprio - her professor, who calculates the comet's trajectory.
    • Rob Morgan - head of the Planetary Defense Coordination Office.
    • Meryl Streep - US President. A cross between Hillary Clinton, Sarah Palin, and Donald Trump.
    • Jonah Noah - son of the President, but her Chief of Staff.
    • Ron Perlman - a foul-mouth racist general.
    • Mark Rylance - tech billionaire. A cross between Steve Jobs, Richard Branson, and Mister Rogers.
    Last edited by Peter Porter; Dec 28th, 2021 at 02:08 PM. Reason: spelling correction

  19. #59
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,802

    Re: Stuff to watch

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Porter View Post
    Is it woke? Do you always ask that question when someone recommends a film or TV show? Does this video's pre-image worry you?
    Well yea. I've noticed the past few years that all the latest shows are full of American leftist propaganda. While normally I don't care, I've noticed that it just gets bolder and bolder each year to the point that I find it impossible to enjoy these shows because their socio-political messages actually hurt the quality of the stories. They just beat you over the head with it to the point that it's hard to ignore. For example, yesterday I tried a new show called Wheel of Time and from the get-go it was a bunch of feminazi man-hating propaganda. It just killed it for me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Porter View Post
    [*]Meryl Streep - US President. A cross between Hillary Clinton, Sarah Palin, and Donald Trump.
    This is a red flag. Not because a woman can't be a capable President but because this kind of thing is the calling card of left-leaning show runners. I'd bet she spends all her screen time berating the "dumb clueless men" while the writers are careful to make all her terrible decisions work out in the end no matter how ridiculous. If you want to see an example of this phenomenon on crack, check out a show called The Outpost or the new Star Wars movies.

    I don't care what people's politics are but for the love of God I wish they would keep them out of movies and TV Shows or at the very least, don't make the story unenjoyable because of it by beating us over the head with it every chance you get....
    Last edited by Niya; Dec 28th, 2021 at 03:20 AM.

  20. #60
    Hyperactive Member Peter Porter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    473

    Re: Stuff to watch

    Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Porter View Post
    Meryl Streep - US President. A cross between Hillary Clinton, Sarah Palin, and Donald Trump.
    This is a red flag. Not because a woman can't be a capable President but because this kind of thing is the calling card of left-leaning show runners. I'd bet she spends all her screen time berating the "dumb clueless men" while the writers are careful to make all her terrible decisions work out in the end no matter how ridiculous.

    I don't care what people's politics are but for the love of God I wish they would keep them out of movies and TV Shows or at the very least, don't make the story unenjoyable because of it by beating us over the head with it every chance you get....
    So a President that is a mix between Hillary, Sarah and Trump, is a calling card for a left leaning show? Well, I'll tell you the truth, judging by your comments, you wont enjoy the movie if you see it, even though it doesn't play-out how you envision. All I'm gonna add to this is there's no Dr. Fauci equivalent, and through more than half of the movie, everyone (left, right, centrist, apolitical) don't take the comet threat serious, but are more interested, brainwashed into non-news. Oh, and there are no left sided news networks, from what I remember. But I'll watch it again to be sure and report back, just so you don't have a heart attack if you decide to watch it without this valuable information.
    Last edited by Peter Porter; Dec 28th, 2021 at 01:21 PM.

  21. #61
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,802

    Re: Stuff to watch

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Porter View Post
    So a President that is a mix between Hillary, Sarah and Trump, is a calling card for a left leaning show?
    Not exactly. It's difficult to explain. It's one of those things where you know it when you see it. Nonetheless, I'm not saying it's a bad show because of that, only that it might be. I'll take a look at the show. I'll be able to tell within the first 30 minutes whether it's an actual movie that's meant to entertain us or just another piece of left leaning propaganda.

  22. #62
    Hyperactive Member Peter Porter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    473

    Re: Stuff to watch

    Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    Not exactly. It's difficult to explain. It's one of those things where you know it when you see it. Nonetheless, I'm not saying it's a bad show because of that, only that it might be. I'll take a look at the show. I'll be able to tell within the first 30 minutes whether it's an actual movie that's meant to entertain us or just another piece of left leaning propaganda.
    The movie does divide, but it feels like one party vs everyone else.

    The side that goes along with the "Don't Look Up" movement (started by the Pres admin), eventually see the comet since it's impossible not to notice, and they get pissed off!

    Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    I'd bet she spends all her screen time berating the "dumb clueless men" while the writers are careful to make all her terrible decisions work out in the end no matter how ridiculous.
    Hey, remember the detail I wrote about the President going in, and that her son is the Chief of Staff.
    Last edited by Peter Porter; Dec 28th, 2021 at 05:30 PM.

  23. #63
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,802

    Re: Stuff to watch

    Ah ok. I'll take a look at it and tell you what I think.

  24. #64

    Thread Starter
    PowerPoster
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    23,809

    Re: Stuff to watch

    Here is a 1998 Christmas movie, though the holiday isn't very central to the plot. Essentially it's more of an action thriller a little like Die Hard or perhaps the Bourne franchise.



    You may have already seen it, but it holds up to a second or third viewing pretty well. And it is probably as relevant as back then seeing that the same cabal is back in power in the US again.

    Here it is currently streaming free (with ads) on Tubi. Internationally you may find it elsewhere.

  25. #65

    Thread Starter
    PowerPoster
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    23,809

    Re: Stuff to watch

    If you are into "weird" I found this:



    Originally 2 seasons of short episodes, some streaming services now carry it stitched together into two "movies" of around 2 hours in length.

    I can't tell whether it is just really bad or meant to be some sort of "avant garde" stuff.

    One site called it "science fiction soap opera" but I'm not sure even that covers it. It almost feels like somebody wrote three stories and tried to shuffle segments together like cards.

  26. #66
    Super Moderator FunkyDexter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth
    Posts
    7,806

    Re: Stuff to watch

    I wasn't blown away by Midnight Mass. It was good but nowhere near as good as Haunting of Hill House. If You haven't seen it, do! It's the directors previous work and was truly excellent.

    Watched the Lighthouse recently. Now that's intense.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

    Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

  27. #67

    Thread Starter
    PowerPoster
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    23,809

    Re: Stuff to watch

    The History Channel has been doing well for a number of years with things like its "Ancient Aliens" and "UFO Hunters" type shows.

    Here is a drama series in a similar vein, combining a lot of Cold War history and fantasy. It only ran for 2 seasons though before being canceled.





    Post-war Nazi defectors galore, both East and West.

  28. #68
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,802

    Re: Stuff to watch

    Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    It was good but nowhere near as good as Haunting of Hill House. If You haven't seen it, do! It's the directors previous work and was truly excellent.
    That's interesting. I've also heard something similar among various YouTube review channels. However, a lot of the them claim that his previous work is stronger in some areas while Midnight Mass is stronger in others. They also say that Midnight Mass is the most ambitious of them all. Nonetheless, point taken

  29. #69
    PowerPoster
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,199

    Re: Stuff to watch

    Quite enjoyed this one:



    I thought Martin Freeman put in a great perfomance, and pulled off a very convincing Scouse accent. Would love to hear what you guys England-side think?

  30. #70
    Super Moderator FunkyDexter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth
    Posts
    7,806

    Re: Stuff to watch

    Haven't seen it but it's been getting rave reviews. BBC tends to be really good at hard hitting crime dramas so I hold out high hopes for it.

    As for the accent, it sounds pretty good to me but I'm from the other end of the country so may not be the best judge. I'll defer to our expert in all things Norvern, NSA.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

    Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

  31. #71
    PowerPoster
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,199

    Re: Stuff to watch

    If I closed my eyes I could be convinced it was Stephen Graham playing the part at times. It took me a while to figure out what kind of soup they were having in one scene! Anyway, I won't say I have a perfectly tuned ear for the accent, but it didn't sound like Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins at least

    Speaking of Stephen Graham, this was another one I enjoyed recently:


  32. #72
    Super Moderator Shaggy Hiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    37,703

    Re: Stuff to watch

    Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    Well yea. I've noticed the past few years that all the latest shows are full of American leftist propaganda. While normally I don't care, I've noticed that it just gets bolder and bolder each year to the point that I find it impossible to enjoy these shows because their socio-political messages actually hurt the quality of the stories. They just beat you over the head with it to the point that it's hard to ignore. For example, yesterday I tried a new show called Wheel of Time and from the get-go it was a bunch of feminazi man-hating propaganda. It just killed it for me.
    Did you read the books? The first few were pretty good, but eventually they ended up with so many different plot threads that you'd end up with this thousand page book that didn't manage to advance anything much at all. Still, the show, if it was faithful to the books, would probably drive you crazy, since it has strong women in it.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

  33. #73
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,802

    Re: Stuff to watch

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    since it has strong women in it.
    This isn't the problem. The problem is when they do at the expense of the men in the story. These modern shows make it a point to paint the men around these "strong" women as incompetent, cowardly or lustful brainless brutes unable to do anything without her guidance. The idea is to force a contrast that make the women seem like more than they really are. It's cheap and distasteful.

    If you want to see this on full display, check out a show called The Outpost. I just could not connect with any of the male leads because they were so damned incompetent and it was all to make the women in the show seem better than they really are. It was truly ridiculous. These men couldn't find dirt in the desert without the guidance of a "strong independent" woman.

    Another example, look at the trailer of the Batwoman series for the Arrowverse. The premise is that she came out of where ever she was to take over the role of Batman. There is a part of the trailer where she asks the tech guy that makes all the gadgets to fix his suit. He told her it was perfect to which she responds, "It will be, when it fits a woman". The implication is obvious here. Women are better than men. I've watched all the Arrowverse shows but I stayed clear of this garbage because I have no interest in watching a show that's constantly going to preach to me that I'm defective or inferior just because I was born a man. To hell with that nonsense. And just in case you think I'm crazy, here is the link to the trailer. Scroll down to the comments section and you'd see that I'm not the only one that has a problem with this garbage. Here are some comments that from video, just so you know it's not just "Niya being crazy":-
    Batman: “It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.”

    Batwoman: it’s important that everyone knows im a girl.
    BatMAN’s suit is flawed because it is designed to fit a MAN. Makes perfect sense.
    Imagine creating a strong female character that doesn’t constantly remind us she’s a female character
    This shows plot is literally just "fEmAlE BeTtEr tHaN mAlE"
    Everything about this even the song, is literally screaming "I'M A WOMAN" all over. Like damn, ok i get it.

    The point is, the batman series didn't really have the need to emphasize his gender. Just straight up action.

    This batwoman's gender is basically her whole personality at this point and that's all what's going for her.
    “I’m not about to let a man take a woman’s work”
    As she takes everything bruce wayne has built including his legacy. Not creative DC!!!
    Steals a man's entire persona


    "I'm not about to let a man take credit for a woman's work"
    "It will be when it fits a woman." Now reverse the role and tell me this line isn't sexist.
    This B: "I'm not about to let a man to take credit for a women's work"

    Batman: "Now hold on a second there buddy!!! Did you lose your parents!!! where you orphaned at a young age!!! did
    you have to fight on the streets of Gotham to survive!!! Have you fought and trained years in a martial arts dojo in the mountains!!! did you
    climb out of a prison deep in a massive hole!!! Did you save your family's fortune and legacy!!! did you create the Bat suit!!!
    did you design the bat gear!!! did you modify the bat cave under my manor!!! Did you fight crooks on the street!!! Did you save
    thousands of innocent lives!!! Did You stop the Joker or Riddler!!! Did you help Harley try and get over Joker that one time!!! Did you
    fight alongside the Justice league!!! Did you devise all of the emergency procedures in case if superman were to go super evil!!!
    Did you raise a boy after also being orphaned the same as me!!! did you solve crimes like sherlock Holmes!!!! Did you ever ONCE get beaten the crap
    out of so badly that you basically had to get life saving surgery that you would've died from if you hadn't ran a successful and honest
    business by helping the public!!! I don't think so honey, all that stuff you say should be yours!!! MY BLOOD WAS SOWNED INTO THAT!!!!

    Whilst you had grown up in a life of comfort while being able to have dinner every night with your FAMILY!!!! I was out there, in the cold and
    dark, patrolling in the night, protecting the place you lived in from being robbed or shot up by burglars!!! You lived an easy life because I gave
    my one up!!! and your saying that the bat suit is only perfect if it fits YOU!!!!!! you ungrateful, entitled little piece of DOG ****!!!!!
    It goes on and on. This kind of thing is all too common in many modern shows. Too many shows are just straight up unwatchable because the writers are more focused on preaching about a bunch of SJW and identity politics nonsense that nobody asked for rather than just telling a good story.

    But let's look at the other side. Is it possible to write a good story with a strong female character? Hell yes. Ellen Ripley from the Alien franchise is a great example. However, the best example I have ever seen actually comes from the Star Wars franchise(another franchise that's been infected with the identity politics disease as of late). I don't know if you like Star Wars but a few years ago they created an animated series called Clone Wars. Don't let the fact that it's animated fool you, it's actually quite enjoyable even to mature audiences. One of the main characters is a character called Ahsoka Tano who is a very formidable young woman. This character is the perfect example of how to write a strong female lead. She works really well without making the male characters around her seem like hollow stand-ins that only serve to boost her glory. She adds to and compliments the story in a very believable way. I think every writer in Hollywood should be made to watch this show before they are allowed to write female leads so they can learn how to do it right so we don't end up with man-hating trash like Batwoman.
    Last edited by Niya; Feb 4th, 2022 at 12:13 AM.

  34. #74

    Thread Starter
    PowerPoster
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    23,809

    Re: Stuff to watch

    Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    It goes on and on. This kind of thing is all too common in many modern shows. Too many shows are just straight up unwatchable because the writers are more focused on preaching about a bunch of SJW and identity politics nonsense that nobody asked for rather than just telling a good story.
    I think it is about increasing market share by bending their appeal toward profitable, er, groups. This can be by ethnicity, gender, or even by country in the case of China for example.

    As long as nobody in the corporate popular media trust breaks rank, those consumers in traditional market segments "have nowhere else to go." They can just take you for granted.

    They've reached such levels of market dominance that nobody can rise in opposition to go after the disenfranchised segments. There is no free market, so market dynamics can't operate.


  35. #75
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,802

    Re: Stuff to watch

    Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    I think it is about increasing market share by bending their appeal toward profitable, er, groups. This can be by ethnicity, gender, or even by country in the case of China for example.

    As long as nobody in the corporate popular media trust breaks rank, those consumers in traditional market segments "have nowhere else to go." They can just take you for granted.

    They've reached such levels of market dominance that nobody can rise in opposition to go after the disenfranchised segments. There is no free market, so market dynamics can't operate.

    This is pretty spot on here! I've given up on it ever improving because of this. I just mostly stick to watching older shows now since they were made before all this madness infected Hollywood. There are a few gems here and there in the modern age but not nearly enough to make a difference.

  36. #76

    Thread Starter
    PowerPoster
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    23,809

    Re: Stuff to watch

    I found some really funny stuff on this, but I won't post any links because I suspect we are venturing very close to prohibited discussion once again.

  37. #77
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,802

    Re: Stuff to watch

    Yea, it's probably best to kill this line of discussion before it gets out of hand. Steve and Funky are on the warpath these days with political/social discussions. This is a good thread. I'd hate to see it get locked.

    PM the links to me lemme have a look-see.
    Last edited by Niya; Feb 4th, 2022 at 04:13 AM.

  38. #78
    Super Moderator FunkyDexter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth
    Posts
    7,806

    Re: Stuff to watch

    It's not so much that the discussion is prohibited, it's the manner in which it's held. With a contentious subject like this, it's important to stay very low and level rather than reaching for hyperbole and buzz phrases. If you can't avoid terms like Feminazi, SJW and Simp, which are clearly deployed to provoke, it's a pretty strong indicator that your argument isn't strong enough to stand on its own merits... which is a shame, because I actually agree that there have been recent examples of the film and television industries reaching for identity politics as a cheap marketing tool. I feel you're overstating the volume and I ascribe it to lazy writing rather than any sort of agenda but I don't think it's a conversation we should have while your tone is as it is.

    So yeah, the feminism topic probably is one that would be better dropped for now and, in that vein, please do. When everyone has cooler heads, perhaps it be revisited while retaining civility.
    Last edited by FunkyDexter; Feb 4th, 2022 at 06:26 AM.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

    Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

  39. #79
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,802

    Re: Stuff to watch

    Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    If you can't avoid terms like Feminazi, SJW and Simp
    Unfortunately I will be unable to do this. In my culture a blunt instrument works best when communicating ideas. If you sanitize your language towards a more politically correct language, people will perceive you as wishy-washy and lacking conviction and they won't take you seriously. We are very practiced in using blunt and emotionally charged language where I'm from. I try my best to sanitize my language when communicating with Americans online but I can only go so far. It's always a huge struggle for me to write in a way that is palatable to the sensitive disposition of a primarily American audience while staying true the whatever thoughts I'm trying to express. People often misunderstand what I'm saying because I'm not used to watering down my words so much.
    Last edited by Niya; Feb 4th, 2022 at 06:50 AM.

  40. #80
    Super Moderator FunkyDexter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth
    Posts
    7,806

    Re: Stuff to watch

    Unfortunately I will be unable to do this
    Then don't engage in the discussion on this forum about contentious subjects. Your choice.
    Last edited by FunkyDexter; Feb 4th, 2022 at 09:21 AM.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

    Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Click Here to Expand Forum to Full Width