Re: Stuff to watch

Bicycle safety... or something:

Good introduction to Rifftrax.

PowerPoster

Interesting background on a beloved and influential classic:

Very interesting indeed.

I have a kind of soft spot for some classic Sci-Fi. Most of them are cheesy and dumb. But some like Forbidden Planet are absolute masterpieces as far as I'm concerned.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

PowerPoster

If you missed it, this series is very engaging and bingeable:

A take on automation and AI but with a focus on the people, both organic and machine.

PowerPoster

Here's a clip:

Odi is a damaged "Synth" who has recently lost his master and become self-aware. He's struggling with his self awareness, independence, and purpose.

The priest thinks he's just a random human parishoner.

Oh I watched the first season of that show like 3 or 4 years ago. I was waiting too see if they'd make a second season or if it would get cancelled. Guess I kinda forgot about it eventually.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

PowerPoster

The casting threw me at first in this reboot of a classic series I enjoyed over 40 years ago. Takes me right back with waves of nostalgia though.

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    The casting threw me at first in this reboot of a classic series I enjoyed over 40 years ago. Takes me right back with waves of nostalgia though.

When I was younger I na´ve, I used to enjoy romantic comedies like this but now I find it rare that I enjoy them. The majority of them portray the men as lovesick simps with no backbones trying desperately to win over some woman you'd never even notice if she passed you on the street. Not saying that's what this is, but a lot of modern remakes are tainted with modern garbage ideas of how a man should act. It's very disgusting.

PowerPoster

Well, they did rework the story a bit. The female housekeeper is portrayed much younger now, and with a different background and strengths. I'm not far enough into it yet to see where it may go with the female lead who begins as a minor character. So far though it keeps to its time and has not reconned the past too extensively.

So far the women and the men are all pretty strong. Season 2 isn't available here yet, so we'll have to see where it goes.

The story is about a young, newly certified country veterinarian as he makes his way in the world and acquires strong relationships in a new community and a kind of extended family.

Sounds interesting and hopeful. I might look at it when I'm in the mood for some "feel good" lightheartedness.

These days I'm in the mood for something more dark. I was feeling a Nazi theme last week and watched both Defiance and Schindler's List. This week I stumbled onto one of the best vampire flicks I've seen in a long time, Midnight Mass and I'm in the mood for more shows like it:-

It's a vampire mini-series but it's unlike any vampire show I've ever seen before. The vampires are actually not the main theme but just serves to carry the real story which is about religious belief and our relationship as people to religion and how we use it to relate to each other. It's a character driven story so don't expect vampires ripping people's heads off every 20 minutes. It's not an exciting show but it is a very good piece of storytelling that will captivate you if you give it a real chance. One of the best shows of the modern age. It's rare to find shows made with this level of quality and care towards the crafting and portrayals of it's characters in 2021.

PowerPoster

"All Creatures" isn't all giggles. It deals with its share of stressful situations and pathos.

Ah ok. I love a good drama, especially when they aren't afraid to push the boundaries a little and go a little dark.

PowerPoster

BTW: The original UK airings were much earlier than international syndication airings.

New Spider-Man

PowerPoster

To bring up another great (somewhat shorter) TV-series (7 Episodes)...

"The Queen's gambit"
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10048342/

I'm not much of a chess-player, but this little Masterpiece had no weaknesses IMO:
    - great cinematography, great story, great acting
    - great portrayal of "the 60s"
    - great insights into "how chess works, when played at a professional level"

"Chess is boring"?

Nope, not in this case - hard to describe, how exactly they managed it -
    but this was a binge-watch, keeping me at the edge of my seat throughout.

Olaf

PowerPoster

Something like 24 short (about 15 minute) episodes, hilarious and packed with cameos.

Hyperactive Member Peter Porter's Avatar

Don't Look Up, a satirical science fiction film

I just finished watching Don't Look up. It's getting mixed reviews, but I personally found it entertaining.

As of posting this comment, it's currently #1 on Netflix.

Last edited by Peter Porter; Dec 27th, 2021 at 07:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Porter View Post
    I just finished watching Don't Look up. It's getting mixed reviews, but I personally found it entertaining.

As of posting this comment, it's currently #1 on Netflix.

I just have one question....is it woke? I absolutely hate woke TV shows and movies which is practically every thing made after 2015. It's really hard to find those rare gems where the showrunners are not trying to convince you that there are 57 genders or that men are just horrible beasts with no brain and women are these perfect beings that need to be worshiped.

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    I just have one question....is it woke? I absolutely hate woke TV shows and movies which is practically every thing made after 2015. It's really hard to find those rare gems where the showrunners are not trying to convince you that there are 57 genders or that men are just horrible beasts with no brain and women are these perfect beings that need to be worshiped.
    Is it woke? Do you always ask that question when someone recommends a film or TV show? Did the video's pre-image worry you?

Normally I read reviews before viewing anything, but I decided to sidestep that, and took a chance with this film and found it enjoyable, even though it's not perfect.

I just give you some tidbits of the cast to help you decide:

• Jennifer Lawrence - student who discovers a comet.
    • Leonardo DiCaprio - her professor, who calculates the comet's trajectory.
    • Rob Morgan - head of the Planetary Defense Coordination Office.
    • Meryl Streep - US President. A cross between Hillary Clinton, Sarah Palin, and Donald Trump.
    • Jonah Noah - son of the President, but her Chief of Staff.
    • Ron Perlman - a foul-mouth racist general.
    • Mark Rylance - tech billionaire. A cross between Steve Jobs, Richard Branson, and Mister Rogers.
    Last edited by Peter Porter; Dec 28th, 2021 at 02:08 PM. Reason: spelling correction

Is it woke? Do you always ask that question when someone recommends a film or TV show? Does this video's pre-image worry you?
    Well yea. I've noticed the past few years that all the latest shows are full of American leftist propaganda. While normally I don't care, I've noticed that it just gets bolder and bolder each year to the point that I find it impossible to enjoy these shows because their socio-political messages actually hurt the quality of the stories. They just beat you over the head with it to the point that it's hard to ignore. For example, yesterday I tried a new show called Wheel of Time and from the get-go it was a bunch of feminazi man-hating propaganda. It just killed it for me.

[*]Meryl Streep - US President. A cross between Hillary Clinton, Sarah Palin, and Donald Trump.
    This is a red flag. Not because a woman can't be a capable President but because this kind of thing is the calling card of left-leaning show runners. I'd bet she spends all her screen time berating the "dumb clueless men" while the writers are careful to make all her terrible decisions work out in the end no matter how ridiculous. If you want to see an example of this phenomenon on crack, check out a show called The Outpost or the new Star Wars movies.

I don't care what people's politics are but for the love of God I wish they would keep them out of movies and TV Shows or at the very least, don't make the story unenjoyable because of it by beating us over the head with it every chance you get....
    Last edited by Niya; Dec 28th, 2021 at 03:20 AM.

Meryl Streep - US President. A cross between Hillary Clinton, Sarah Palin, and Donald Trump.
    This is a red flag. Not because a woman can't be a capable President but because this kind of thing is the calling card of left-leaning show runners. I'd bet she spends all her screen time berating the "dumb clueless men" while the writers are careful to make all her terrible decisions work out in the end no matter how ridiculous.

I don't care what people's politics are but for the love of God I wish they would keep them out of movies and TV Shows or at the very least, don't make the story unenjoyable because of it by beating us over the head with it every chance you get....
    So a President that is a mix between Hillary, Sarah and Trump, is a calling card for a left leaning show? Well, I'll tell you the truth, judging by your comments, you wont enjoy the movie if you see it, even though it doesn't play-out how you envision. All I'm gonna add to this is there's no Dr. Fauci equivalent, and through more than half of the movie, everyone (left, right, centrist, apolitical) don't take the comet threat serious, but are more interested, brainwashed into non-news. Oh, and there are no left sided news networks, from what I remember. But I'll watch it again to be sure and report back, just so you don't have a heart attack if you decide to watch it without this valuable information.
    Last edited by Peter Porter; Dec 28th, 2021 at 01:21 PM.

So a President that is a mix between Hillary, Sarah and Trump, is a calling card for a left leaning show?
    Not exactly. It's difficult to explain. It's one of those things where you know it when you see it. Nonetheless, I'm not saying it's a bad show because of that, only that it might be. I'll take a look at the show. I'll be able to tell within the first 30 minutes whether it's an actual movie that's meant to entertain us or just another piece of left leaning propaganda.

Not exactly. It's difficult to explain. It's one of those things where you know it when you see it. Nonetheless, I'm not saying it's a bad show because of that, only that it might be. I'll take a look at the show. I'll be able to tell within the first 30 minutes whether it's an actual movie that's meant to entertain us or just another piece of left leaning propaganda.
    The movie does divide, but it feels like one party vs everyone else.

The side that goes along with the "Don't Look Up" movement (started by the Pres admin), eventually see the comet since it's impossible not to notice, and they get pissed off!

I'd bet she spends all her screen time berating the "dumb clueless men" while the writers are careful to make all her terrible decisions work out in the end no matter how ridiculous.
    Hey, remember the detail I wrote about the President going in, and that her son is the Chief of Staff.
    Last edited by Peter Porter; Dec 28th, 2021 at 05:30 PM.

Ah ok. I'll take a look at it and tell you what I think.

PowerPoster

Here is a 1998 Christmas movie, though the holiday isn't very central to the plot. Essentially it's more of an action thriller a little like Die Hard or perhaps the Bourne franchise.

You may have already seen it, but it holds up to a second or third viewing pretty well. And it is probably as relevant as back then seeing that the same cabal is back in power in the US again.

Here it is currently streaming free (with ads) on Tubi. Internationally you may find it elsewhere.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12