Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: Stuff to watch

Re: Stuff to watch

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    Then don't engage in the discussion on this forum about contentious subjects. Your choice.
    Your Choice for now

Add me to the warpath list, I don't want to be left out. I'm always up for a good walk on a good path.

There is a branch of the Hindu religion that holds that to get to 'heaven' (they don't really have that, but it's the best translation for this purpose) you have to constantly keep God in mind. Therefore, there is a parable about a devout atheist who spent all of his time denying the existence of God. When he was working he was denying God, when he was eating he was denying God, all the time he was denying God. So, when he died, he was pretty surprised to be invited into heaven. After all, he had spent all his time thinking about God, if only to deny him.

Niya, you dwell too much on your darkness.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

PowerPoster

Well darn, there go my hopes for a companion thread "Stuff not to Watch."

I'd probably list the entire "CW Network" roster, including the current "Simperman Defers to Lois."

Guess I'll let that go.

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    I'd probably list the entire "CW Network" roster, including the current "Simperman Defers to Lois."
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

PowerPoster

Add me to the warpath list, I don't want to be left out. I'm always up for a good walk on a good path.
    I'll join, if little foot soldiers are allowed. Actually, a sarcastic, wise arse foot soldier. But, nobody is perfect.

PowerPoster

I shouldn't have made my last post. Why trigger people further? That's the end of it for me.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    Add me to the warpath list, I don't want to be left out.
    I'll join, if little foot soldiers are allowed...
    Guess there's still some hope, since it was at least correctly recognized:
    "The only rank there will ever be" (in that kind of "military")...

Olaf

The Mandalorian

Back to stuff to watch, I've started watching The Mandalorian about a month ago. The first season was garbage, but so far the second season is pretty good.

I was gifted Disney+ last year for Christmas, and after reading good reviews of the 2nd Season of the Mandalorian, from the same reviewers who trashed the 1st season, I figure I would give the series a chance.

I'm gonna watch episode 5 today of the 2nd season. Hopefully the show doesn't goes down hill from there.
    Last edited by Peter Porter; Feb 5th, 2022 at 06:49 AM.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Yeah, I've heard great things abut the Mandalorian and the new Bob Fett series. I've never bothered with a disney subscription but I'm considering a temporary sign up for those two.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Moonraker - Where's Dolly's braces?

Call me crazy, but does anyone else remember this scene from the James Bond movie Moonraker, where after a cable car accident, Jaws meets the love of his life, who smiles a full set of braces?

I have a funny feeling they were CGIed out in the early 2000s.

Last edited by Peter Porter; Feb 20th, 2022 at 05:53 PM.

PowerPoster

Who else recalls MST3K 624 "Samson vs. The Vampire Women" an English-dubbed Mexican horror flick? That's the one where Torgo The White rescues TV's Frank and takes him to Second Banana Heaven:

anyone else remember this scene from the James Bond movie Moonraker, where after a cable car accident, Jaws meets the love of his life, who smiles a full set of braces
    Yes - but checking my DVD version (bought 2002) they're not there any more!.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Quote Originally Posted by 2kaud View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Porter View Post
    anyone else remember this scene from the James Bond movie Moonraker, where after a cable car accident, Jaws meets the love of his life, who smiles a full set of braces?
    I brought this movie on VHS back in the early 90s, way before DVDs were introduced in 97. If I can find it, and she doesn't have braces, then we're nuts!

I threw away my VHS tapes years ago when I replaced them with the DVD versions...
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

Yeah, I've heard great things abut the Mandalorian and the new Bob Fett series. I've never bothered with a disney subscription but I'm considering a temporary sign up for those two.
    Not watched Boba Fett, but The Mandalorian was good.

I have been watching - The Man in the High Castle - on Amazon prime recently which is a good series, it been out for ages but never got round to it for some reason.

The 2nd series of Upload is due out soon on Amazon Prime too, the first series was great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwFSCZgeftY
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

Moonraker - Jaw's girlfriend, Dolly's braces

Quote Originally Posted by 2kaud View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Porter View Post
    anyone else remember this scene from the James Bond movie Moonraker, where after a cable car accident, Jaws meets the love of his life, who smiles a full set of braces?
    A Finnish producer of a Visa commercial that Richard Kiel played in remembered the braces. In the commercial, Kiel walks around a store, scaring a few people, just right before he meets a girl working the register. After she sees him smile, she smiles, revealing braces, while music over the store's speakers sings "telling me that this was love at last."

From the BBC website, the day Richard Kiel died:
    Kiel reprised the role of Jaws in the 1979 film Moonraker. The film culminated with Jaws changing sides and joining forces with Bond to save the world. It also saw romance blossom between Jaws and Dolly, a small, pig-tailed blonde with braces, comically played by Blanch Ravalec.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-29160096
    Last edited by Peter Porter; Feb 21st, 2022 at 10:42 PM.

PowerPoster

Is anyone following the "Hanging With Doctor Z" talk show?

PowerPoster

THE COMPANION PRESENTS these hilariously fun highlights from the Stargate A.I. project, organized by the science fiction magazine site with help from STARGATE SG-1 co-creator Brad Wright and Google A.I. advocate Laurence Moroney. They fed an artificial intelligence all the scripts from Stargate, and then had it generate a "script" for the actors to reunite with a table reading.

That made me feel something. I really loved seeing all of them again, especially Jewel Staite! I haven't seen her since SGA and FireFly. It also kills my hope for a proper ending to SGA, something I've secretly hoped for for like a decade plus. She has aged way too much to play a 20 something year old doctor and of course Jason is now a big superstar now so they can't possibly pay him to reprise a role on a TV show.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

PowerPoster

Yeah, the world has changed and aging of familiar faces is a big part of that.

There is another piece of it that may hit people harder right at home when it directly impacts them. I'm not sure who might follow Fran here, she's in electronics and has an interest in historical aerospace engineering. But this was an interesting video about the changing face of technical employment for all fields:

It's one thing to be ousted into the cold for your age at all. Even more so when you face being put on a track toward "put out to pasture" starting as early as 35 years old.

PowerPoster

Another classic. I'm actually surprised how many have never watched the trilogy, even among those who watched the derivative cash grab "Fury Road" that was made much later.

PowerPoster

Has anyone seen those sarcastic insurance commercials where the crusty aging Gen-Xer "Dr. Rick" constantly berates Millennial homeowners "not to turn into their Baby Boom parents?"

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    That made me feel something. I really loved seeing all of them again, especially Jewel Staite! I haven't seen her since SGA and FireFly. It also kills my hope for a proper ending to SGA, something I've secretly hoped for for like a decade plus. She has aged way too much to play a 20 something year old doctor and of course Jason is now a big superstar now so they can't possibly pay him to reprise a role on a TV show.
    I'm not sure where Stargate will go. The only recent concrete news is that we just (April 1st) got a new Stargate Channel on Pluto TV (Viacom/Paramount) streaming the old movies and shows 24 hours/day.

Frenzied Member

Here are a few somewhat random recommendations:
    -Anyone who is interested in futurism should give Isaac Arthur on YouTube a try.
    -Better Call Saul is a surprisingly good Breaking Bad spin-off.
    -There are two surpisingly decent Masters of the Universe (He-Man) series on Netflix (one is more for older fans and the other for children).
    -Personally I am waiting for Rick and Morty season 6.

There are so many things I could go on for a while. :-)

I'm not sure where Stargate will go. The only recent concrete news is that we just (April 1st) got a new Stargate Channel on Pluto TV (Viacom/Paramount) streaming the old movies and shows 24 hours/day.
    I'm hungry for some new stuff. I have all the old stuff on my HD which I binge watch from time to time. I want new entries in the Stargate franchise.

King of sapila

I watched Fight Club yesterday. Believe it or not there is a known member here that hasn't watched it and still refusing to do so.You give someone a gem and sell it to get an ice cream...
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

PowerPoster

Who remembers that final season of Star Trep Deep Space 9 and the character "Vic Fontaine," a 1950s holographic lounge singer?

Remember when he helped Nog come to terms with the loss of a leg and its associated PTSD:

Frenzied Member

@dilettante: I remember that.

Yea, I remember that episode. Nog got addicted to the Holosuite in an attempt to hide from his pain. DS9 was such a legendary show the likes of which would never be seen again.

PowerPoster

So far I've noticed that Pluto TV has added a Stargate Channel, at least in the US.

It seems to be rotating the movies and 3 series, in a TV-like fashion since that's their "live TV" model. I haven't seen what they offer "on demand" yet. They are cross-promoting by running Stargate Chaanel advertisements on their other channels. That might bring in new fans.

Nothing concrete on new content though.

Edit

Just checked and Pluto TV does have the 3 Stargate series on-demand too. I'll have to see if the movies are all there.

I've been seeing YouTube videos showing up in my feed lately talking about new Stargate material in the works right now. Though I will only believe those when there are official announcements.

PowerPoster

Scary places life can take you:

PowerPoster

A lot of us old codgers remember the "Peanuts" specials that came out on broadcast TV back in the '60s.

How many remember one of the longer ones that came out late (1972) as a movie shown in theatres that later started to run on TV in the US (1976)? "Snoopy Come Home" revealed to all of us (including Charlie Brown himself) that Snoopy was a "used dog" with a former owner.

My oldest sister has a soundtrack CD she got one Christmas, and still tears up when this tune is played:

While very dated today, this movie should still resonate with kids today. Perhaps even more so since culture in much of the world has become even more pet-focused than 50 years ago.

Not sure it ever made it into BluRay collections, but the DVDs are probably still around and surely some streaming service has the rights to offer it.

PowerPoster

Supernatural mystery thriller series, western setting but not really a western. It is basically set in the present day.

Appears that episodes will drop 2 per week for the first season, which runs 8 episodes in length.

PowerPoster

If you know it, you know it. if not you are in for a treat. A forgotten comedy: Doctor Detroit.

The Doctor is in:

PowerPoster

If you aren't really a fan of where the Star Trek franchise has gone, there is always comedy gold to be found in reviews.

These guy mainly review things like home video era schlock horror and select indie films, but a couple of them are also classic Star Trek fans. Their review series on "Star Trek: Picard" season 2 is pretty funny, their pain is palpable.

I'll be honest, the only reason I watch Star Trek: Picard is because of Patrick Stewart(Cpt./Admiral Picard) and Jeri Ryan(Seven of Nine) and the hope of seeing other cameos from real Star Trek shows. The show itself reeks of the same rubbish you find in CW shows like all the woke stuff and a cavalier attitude towards situations that should be taken seriously, an attitude that is characteristic of children and teenagers. For example characters are always cracking jokes and making snide or sarcastic remarks when the situation doesn't call for it. They are also very heavy on feelings being used to justify decisions no matter how utterly stupid, which is another characteristic of childish CW shows. For example, the character Rios actually had to be told that jeopardizing the future of the entire human race just because you have some childish school-boy crush on a pretty woman is a bad idea. Like seriously? They put such an irresponsible person in charge of a star ship? You would never see this kind of garbage back in the day in real Star Trek shows. These plots and characters feel like they were written for children by children.

That's my main gripe with Star Trek: Picard. Only nostalgia keeps me watching it to be honest. If Patrick and Jeri wasn't in it, I wouldn't have bothered with it at all. This show isn't Star Trek, it's just a CW-esque teenage soap-opera that pretends to be Star Trek.
    Last edited by Niya; Apr 21st, 2022 at 02:56 AM.

PowerPoster

Here's a good one. It's a short documentary about an animated media creation technology that is so nearly forgotten now that it can freak modern audiences right out. We once took it for granted though it was always quaint. These days it is seem as nightmare fuel.

I always got a kick out of its use within a landmark episode of Stargate SG-1. Skip ahead about 1 minute 45 seconds:

PowerPoster

Archaeologists have recently uncovered ancient human footprints beneath the windswept landscape of White Sands National Park in New Mexico that date to as far back as 23,000 years. That makes these footprints the earliest unequivocal evidence for human habitation in the Americas, pushing back our understanding of the date of arrival by as much as 10,000 years. The history-shaking find also helps to validate Native American claims of a deep time connection to this continent, and could forever alter our theories about the peopling of the Americas.

New discoveries push origins further and further back. When matched against other known mileposts in time such as glaciation intervals a lot of myths and hypotheses will need to be revised. So far the Beringians still dig in their heels, squint hard, and create "magical corridors" and other epicycles and Piltdowns but that particular myth has already been all but undermined by more recent findings.

I recently finished the herculean task of finishing watching the 4th season of Star Trek: Discovery and by God I was sick to my stomach by the end of it. The visuals and special effects were top notch but the characters and dialogue were some of the most idiotic nonsense I have ever seen in my life. That show is just pure unapologetic trash. Just pure trash. MY GOD THAT SHOW IS GARBAGE!! To date this show is by far the best example of how political narratives ruin the quality of what could have otherwise been a fantastic show. It surpasses the Disney Star Wars movies in this regard.

I know we were talking about Stargate earlier but after watching this latest season of Discovery, I do not want them to bring back Stargate. It would no doubt be infected by the same disease of far-left political propaganda.

EDIT:

And just to be sure that it's not just all in my head, I decided to look up how others felt and it seems I'm not the only one that felt this way. I mean look at these reviews.
    https://www.metacritic.com/tv/star-t...reviews?page=0

Here's are a couple of reviews from the site:-
    Except for the name this has nothing to do with star trek. The agenda pushing ruins what's left of the show.

If you are looking for something that actually feels like star trek I recommend watching the Orville.

/edit: the show manages somehow to become even worse.
    What the heck did I just watch? My God... Every negative review here is right.
    What a waste of opportunity. Politics destroys fun. This is actually not Star Trek. This is propaganda. But... there is positive side here... Hollywood is going to destroy itself. Who cares.
    Every episode is like the creators wanted to get an Oscar. Wokeism, tokenism, virtue signaling - you can all find it here. The makenosense dialogs and cringe. The story is not bad - I can say that I like it. Some of the main characters are not likable and you want them dead, some have nothing special to offer yet are promoted.
    Everything except the special effects are really terrible. The main char is some sort of black Jesus character that is responsible for everything good in the universe and every white person is evil and gets crushed by asteroids as soon as they talk back to the main character.

Sad to say, but this is really really woke and bad.
    I can't get into this show. I tried I really tried but the writing is so bad that it is painful to watch. The story doesn't make any sense and I feels like a generic sci-fi show and NOT star trek. One character spock says a line "I like science". If that is not the definition of bad writing I don't know what it.
    What a total train wreck!!! I've never seen such a bad series in my whole life!! Hollywood and Disney love ruining franchises as they have done with Ghostbusters, Star Wars, Terminator and now Star Trek! I have more fun doing homework and reading a boring book than the new Star Trek. I actually made me feel sick in my stomach cause it's that bad.
    Cringy soap-opera in space with a annoying main cast and constant emotionally overloaded partnership quarreling. If Burnham is not crying right now she either ignores orders and does what she wants or solves unsolvable problems that apparently only she is capable of solving. Doug Jones's Saru is one of the few bright spots in this trainwreck of an embarrassing rip-off of Star Trek
    If we made a "Stuff not to watch thread", this trash would be number 1 on my list. The only good thing that comes out of my suffering through this garbage is that I can warn others to avoid it. Watching paint dry would be a better use of your time than watching this.
    Last edited by Niya; May 8th, 2022 at 05:40 AM.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast