Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Stuff to watch

PowerPoster

Re: Stuff to watch

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    It sounds like what they did with The Expanse. There was more to tell but they wrapped up most of what they had going on as best they could. The only thing I'm bummed about was those dog things that brought that boy back to life. I was really looking forward to knowing more about what was going on there.
    That did feel like an odd way to let a subplot trail off. I'm not sure what the goal was there. Maybe there is some sort of short-run thing planned for that. Maybe something like a short-episode thing, more like "webisodes." Or maybe a movie or something. Perhaps we'll get something, perhaps not.

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    That did feel like an odd way to let a subplot trail off. I'm not sure what the goal was there. Maybe there is some sort of short-run thing planned for that. Maybe something like a short-episode thing, more like "webisodes." Or maybe a movie or something. Perhaps we'll get something, perhaps not.
    I too was wondering about that. I didn't even know it was going to be a short season until like the penultimate episode so I thought they would have wrapped up that plotline as well.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

PowerPoster

I'd guess these guys are are from 68 or so up into their 80s somewhere. I was worried this "comedy" might end on a grim or deeply sad note, but nobody dies after all.

"Fish out of water" movie, where the "water" is modern life and finding yourself old before you are prepared for that. There was enough here to be worth watching. Some of it low-key funny, some of it painful enough to trigger introspection.

It might be an incredible choice to watch with younger family though. There are parts that might make them curl right into a ball from embarrassment.

Last edited by dilettante; Jul 20th, 2022 at 05:16 AM.

PowerPoster

This is so bad even George Takei would exclaim "Oh my!"

The only thing notable is that within the first 15 minutes you can see where George Lucas got Luke & Leia, Han & Chewie, perhaps even Obi-Wan... as well as the Cantina. And maybe even most of his screenplay dialog style.

By 18 minutes in the story deviates from the Star Wars tale more substantially. Come for the plagiarism, stay for the comical monster effects.

PowerPoster

Pretty funny parody of election campaigns:

Pretty funny parody of election campaigns:

lol....that was funny. Also pretty effective at illustrating what a circus elections are.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

PowerPoster

Slow paced, parts of it almost look like modern video game animation rather than live action. Not as bad as low budget indy stuff tends to get though.

The back story is a little vague.

My mental rewrite of it is that coastal urban excess has depleted the resources of the heartland of the US. Solar and wind farms combined with excessive energy consumption, paving over the land, and growing water-wasting almonds and avocados and dairy cattle in the desert have altered the climate drastically.

The big cities are feeling the pinch but getting by. Everyone else must produce more than they consume or get "sent to New Eden" by the neo-feudal urban masters.
    Last edited by dilettante; Aug 5th, 2022 at 07:55 PM.

My mental rewrite of it is that coastal urban excess has depleted the resources of the heartland of the US. Solar and wind farms combined with excessive energy consumption, paving over the land, and growing water-wasting almonds and avocados and dairy cattle in the desert have altered the climate drastically.
    lmao....

Slow paced, parts of it almost look like modern video game animation rather than live action. Not as bad as low budget indy stuff tends to get though.
    Donno how I missed this one. The post-apocalyptic genre is among my favorite genre of movies/TV Shows. Though it doesn't strike me as something ground-breaking, it's going on my to-watch list. Plus Nicholas Cage is one of my favorite actors. I often enjoy his performances.

PowerPoster

Here's another goofy "climate change backdrop" indy flick. Low budget, Charlie Sheen, primitive CGI, but somehow I enjoy it.

Not to be confused with the over-hyped big budget train wreck with the smoke-ring blowing Snuffleupagus aliens and weird mental time travel tacked on. They stole the name, but that's about it.

Note the year of release. Hollywood has been promoting artificially produced climate change for a very long time.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    The post-apocalyptic genre is among my favorite genre of movies/TV Shows.
    Are you familiar with "The Postman" (1997) with Kevin Costner? It gets a lot of hate. I liked the book well before the movie got made.

"The Road" (2009) is almost too grimly dystopian for me to watch again.

But I really would like to see a movie or a mini-series made of Niven and Pournelle's "Lucifer's Hammer" published in 1977. Closest thing I've seen is the TV movie "A Fire In The Sky" (1978), not to be confused with the silly UFO abduction tale that ripped off the name.

Last edited by dilettante; Aug 6th, 2022 at 10:13 AM.

PowerPoster

At the very end of The Humanity Bureau (above) we get a cameo by Lorne Cardinal.

He was one of the regular cast of Corner Gas and voices the same role in Corner Gas Animated.

If you aren't familiar with that, well, it is sorta kinda the sister show of Stargate SG-1. The main difference it nobody there knows about the Stargate or aliens and it doesn't pretend that it isn't in Canada. Brent Leroy and Jack O'Neil have an almost identical sense of humor.

PowerPoster

Canadians aren't above "eating their young" so to speak either. Here's is a run they took at their own general population:

I believe it began as short videos on YouTube and then became a TV series for a while.

PowerPoster

No, by no means is this a good movie. Yet somehow, some way, it is a great movie.

No, by no means is this a good movie. Yet somehow, some way, it is a great movie.

OMG! Can't believe you mentioned this one! This movie is no doubt a cheap B movie with many problems but by some miracle it is one of my all time favorites since I was a teenager. Even to this day, I go back and watch it in full every couple years or so. I must have watched it 10 or more times by now.

Speaking of B movies, there is also Guyver 2: Dark Hero. This one was also a favorite of mine since my teenage years and I've watched it probably over 100 times by now. As a matter of fact, I've already re-watched it about 4 times already this year, the most recent being just a few days ago. The special effects are ok, the acting is mostly terrible and the dialogue is horrible. Despite these gaping flaws, there's just something about it that I just can't get enough of.

Note: You can actually find the full movie easily on YouTube. It's a B movie and my guess it whoever produced it either don't exist anymore or they don't think it's worth to effort to prevent it from being pirated. This is typical of B movies.
    Last edited by Niya; Aug 14th, 2022 at 01:23 PM.

PowerPoster

I should look into the Guyver franchise again. I'm not sure I have watched any of it for a very long time.

Thanks, this might be another movie or two for rainy days.

PowerPoster

The "Kolchak" franchise comes to us from way back in the 1970s. Two original TV movies and a one-season series have become cult classics. There was even another brief series about 20 years later, sort of a reboot. And it also has some direct ties as an inspiration for "The X Files" where Darrin McGavin (the original Kolchak from the '70s) was even showcased in a few cameo appearances.

Here is a "Creature Features" presentation of the original film "The Night Stalker."

"Creature Features" is a cable-TV-and-YouTube program of the hosted horror show stripe with interstitial skits, guest interviews, etc. to add color and flavor.

A has-been rock star hosts horror films in his haunted mansion. Guest: Former Creature Features host John Stanley. Movie: The Night Stalker from 1972.

PowerPoster

I liked the Night Stalker. Always liked Darrin McGavin. I never thought about it but that show was a lot like the X Files. But without all the secret government agency stuff.

PowerPoster

If you enjoyed "Romancing the Stone" (1984) and it sequel... it looks like we have a sort of reboot.

"The Lost City" is a sort of comedy adventure parody thing.

My expectations were low, but it had me laughing a lot. What a name for an adventure hero: "Dash McMahon."

If you enjoyed "Romancing the Stone" (1984) and it sequel... it looks like we have a sort of reboot.

"The Lost City" is a sort of comedy adventure parody thing.

My expectations were low, but it had me laughing a lot. What a name for an adventure hero: "Dash McMahon."
    Funny you should mention this one. About a week ago or so I was looking for a movie to watch or a new series to get into. I saw the poster for that show and blindly assumed it was some high adventure show in the like of Indiana Jones or Uncharted. It was 10 minutes in when I realized it was some kind of chick flick. I had a good laugh over how I managed to fool myself. Ended up settling on a new show called Evil. I'm currently in it's second season.

PowerPoster

I thought it was going to suck at the beginning too. But then the comedy really kicked in and I found it enjoyable compared to the sort of crap we've been getting recently.

I thought is was a series, but now it appears to be just one movie. Of course if I had finished watching it I'd already know that - duh.

Game of Thrones fans might enjoy this.

It's a Game of Thrones prequel that's been in development since the original ended. I just watched the pilot. I had my doubts and still do have some. There was a scene scene where a princess was being schooled by her mother on her duty to produce an heir for the king and her response was to babble some nonsense about wanting to be a knight and fight in battles. Almost stopped watching right there as I recognized it as a signature of the leftist feminist trolls that somehow bamboozled their way into Hollywood. But I kept watching and found it not bad. It has potential to be a great successor to Game of Thrones. The set design, special effects, dialog and acting are all top notch, exactly what you'd expect from a successor to Game of Thrones. I only hope they don't water down the plot with leftist garbage in the coming episodes. If not, this could turn out to be one of the best shows in recent years. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

PowerPoster

When TV was still young and sitcoms still simple and direct. This show began airing in 1952:

Black and white, and in transcoding the aspect ratio got a little squished, but the audio is mostly crisp. Some may benefit from turning on auto-generated subtitles though. Pronunciation and vocabulary has changed.

For example the "bop language" (bop as in "bebop") Episode 2 referred to soon become "beat language" and today most people have no words for it at all. It was a sort of white bread imitation of the slang used by jazz musicians, but very quickly was replaced by hippie slang in the 1960s as the well-off Silent Generation got older and bolder about privilege.

This comedy provides an idealized view of upper middle class Silents and their parents in the decade before they turned on and tuned out. Funny how most kids today get confused and refer to Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders as "Boomers" - though they are not.

PowerPoster

"Salvage Marines"

Has anyone else sampled this new series yet?

No idea how well it might be doing and I'm only partway through the 1st episode. It's a bit of a slog but setting the stage often takes a few episodes in the first season.

Production values are low, about the level of Canada's "Starhunter" (2000) in its original incarnation. But the budget is probably very tight. So far I find it on second- and third-tier streaming services like Crackle and Popcornflix here in the US.

"Starhunter" plus "Starhunter 2300" (its late 2nd season) got a re-edit and enhancement and came out as "Starhunter Redux" (2017). Essentially identical from a "10 thousand foot" view, but with significant enough changes to make it nearly a different show.

PowerPoster

It appears to be based on a book series. Book 1 of 6: "Salvage Marines (Necrospace)"

"Salvage Marines"
    That looks like my kind of series. However, the trailer gives me low budget vibes. Casper Van Dien, Armand Assante are staples in low budget productions and the special effects look like early 2000s TV special effects. I would be willing to give it a chance since good acting, dialog and an interesting plot can overcome it's lack of a reasonable budget. A good example of this is the FireFly franchise. It also has low budget "feels" but is excellent in it's dialog, writing and acting. FireFly has since become a cult classic that is still referenced to this day. It was a really good show. Perhaps this could be the case here too. I'll take a look at it and see for myself.

PowerPoster

These shows are hard to judge until they have a full season "in the can." Even then Star Trek The Next Generation was pretty darned awful until it got its act together halfway into Season 2.

So I'll try to get through the episodes available now, then try to remember to come back for more as they trickle out. You're right, so far effects, directing, editing, etc. all seem pretty cheesy and the actors haven't settled into their roles.

I'm pretty happy with "Resident Alien" (Alan Tudyk, even Linda Hamilton in a recurring role) so far. However it is smaller in scope and can get by on a smaller budget for effects but the acting is great even for the children in the cast.

PowerPoster

PowerPoster

I almost think the entire story was hinged upon the term "anti-hero."

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Bit of a late suggestion but The New Legends of Monkey on Netflix. It's actually a pretty worthy successor to the old 70s series that pays enough homage to the original while also going in it's own direction.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Here a trailer for it so people can see what they are getting:-

Not my usual stuff but it seems to have a charm of it's own. It doesn't seem to be another woke leftist propaganda piece probably because of NetFlix's purge of leftists from it's ranks recently. I might give this a try. I do like the fantasy/adventure genre.

PowerPoster

When starved for stuff to watch there are always videos I call "travel samplers" that can show where you might like to go on a short trip. Or you can watch them, nod, and save yourself the trip.

Some are overproduced amateur video, others more professionally done. Some are just simple and quaint, just above the "family home movies" level.

I don't know these people, and only watched this one video by them because I know the location (at least as it was 30 years ago when it was much wilder).

From the excessive gear for such a short Summer trip they look like city folk. From the accents I'd guess Detroit suburbs but the rest of their videos (thumbnails) suggest Milwaukee. Perhaps they are transplants?

It doesn't seem to be another woke leftist propaganda piece
    Why would you assume it was?

I've just started on The Devil is in Ohio which is looking good so far. A little heavy handed on the hints at Satanism perhaps but intriguing and, after 3 episodes, I'm thoroughly hooked and curious about where it's going to go.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    Why would you assume it was?
    Why would I assume it's not. Hollywood was taken over by far left nut jobs in recent years and they have ruined so many great franchises with their nonsense. Shows that are devoid of leftist politics are extremely hard to come by today. It's always safe to assume that every new show that comes out is going to be "woke" as hell.

There is some good news though. People are getting tired of it and are starting to push back. Just look at Mark Ruffalo's recent tweet about the new She-Hulk show. It brought a smile to my face to see that people are finally waking up to this insanity. It took too long but better late than never.
    Last edited by Niya; Sep 10th, 2022 at 04:19 PM.

PowerPoster

For some reason the word "woke" is now a pain point.

I hear arguments like "This was once a social badge of honor, but both the 'intentionally and unconsciously racist' are now using it to call us out on our bullshit. Unfair! How dare they use the label we chose to identify ourselves by to identify us?"

One the one hand "unconsciously racist" bears a strong resemblance to Philip K. Dick's term pre-crime. One the other hand... batshit?

Here's a guy who trades in popular media rumors who isn't very comfortable as the tide turns against the positions he has chosen:

Shows that are devoid of leftist politics are extremely hard to come by today.
    You're clearly not looking very hard. I can certainly identify franchises that have embraced inclusivity, but I can trivially identify franchises that have simply ignored it too. I guess the standard advice applies: if you don't like it, don't watch it.
    Last edited by FunkyDexter; Sep 11th, 2022 at 10:04 AM.

Inclusivity? So I'm supposed to enjoy the garbage shows just because they are "inclusive" Is this how it is now?

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    I guess the standard advice applies: if you don't like it, don't watch it.
    I will gladly avoid them but this leftist garbage is in 95% of shows now. It's unavoidable.

OK, I've asked you to avoid provocation multiple times and you seem to be unable to make a post without including a barbed, baiting insult. Take two weeks.

PowerPoster

Loved this series, it had me in stitches:

Based on some of the reviews I read, it seemed to piss off both the left & right wingers about equally (for different reasons of course). It must have been doing something right

I like the team behind it. That looks good.

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast