PowerPoster

Re: Stuff to watch

The first youtube videos that I've watched in their entirety in ages:

PowerPoster

The History Guy:

PowerPoster

Seems all but forgotten though once a fairly regular Saturday TV offering a few decades back:

PowerPoster

Not the biggest fan of the modern theatre experience, but this looks interesting:

Weird for a Christmas message though. Basically this evil Claus attacks populist mercenaries preying upon some innocently hyper-privileged rich family.

Egad, the Reagan Years really are back! Shades of DuckTales, where Donald gets shipped off to war and Scrooge McDuck becomes a cuddly plutocratic hero to children.
    Last edited by dilettante; Oct 8th, 2022 at 04:08 PM.

PowerPoster

Browsing some older material from the late 1960s and early 1970s, I'd forgotten how diverse science fiction visual media once was before Lucas and Spielberg sucked the oxygen from the room.

Here's an old Thanksgiving-themed pilot for a TV series that just was not meant to be.

Since it was released as a TV movie there are not many good digital copies out there today. Most are roughly VHS quality.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

evil Claus
    Does look like some pretty ridiculous fun.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

PowerPoster

Ahh, that classic October comedy bit to annoy your friends with:

PowerPoster

Supervized

"Wake up and smell the justice!"

A simple little comedy vehicle for some aging stars.

PowerPoster

Everybody loves creepy AI movies, right?

Not out yet:

But early-release insiders claim it is good. If you like horror.

King of sapila

Windows software no doubt.
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

I know it's mainstream AF so kind of pointless spittin' it over here but still, I like it. Soo here goes.
    Dahmer, available on Netflix, definitely worth watching!

PowerPoster

Is that the "Dahmer - Monster" biographical drama thing?

I haven't given Netflix money since they were a DVD rental by mail thing that often substituted awful Asian movies with a similar English title slapped on when you selected stuff. Today they may be more than the semi-scam they were back in the day, but I'm too cheap and can still feel my burnt fingers from the last go-round.

However they seem to have a ton of subscribers and some people like that sort of show too. You sound satisfied or even appreciative, so that's an endorsement.

PowerPoster

What's the deal with the campy slob horror genre "Chucky" TV series?

I remember the original film franchise. Not my bag, but I do recall trailers.

For some reason Syfy/USA has put S2E2 up on YouTube for free. Is that a one-off or have they been doing this all along?

Oh wait, I see S2E1 there as well. Not sure if they are having trouble getting eyeballs or something else (Halloween season promotion?) is at work.

PowerPoster

Watched a show on NetFlix called "Last Breath". Documentary about a saturation diver accident @ 300ft down in the North Sea. It keep my interest, actually caught myself tensing up. lol

Lots of actual video. Really enjoyed it.

I haven't given Netflix money since...
    I'd say it's worth signing up for a free trial and seeing what you think. You can always drop it at the end of the trial.

I personally have it as my only paid streaming service. I preferred it back in the day when they had a huge catalogue of golden oldies. Now they mostly concentrate on the latest Hollywood films and their own series which isn't as interesting to me but some their own series have been particularly good.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    Watched a show on NetFlix called "Last Breath". Documentary about a saturation diver accident @ 300ft down in the North Sea. It keep my interest, actually caught myself tensing up. lol

Lots of actual video. Really enjoyed it.
    Did it take your breath away?
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

I was picking things on Netflix based on very little research. At least, that's probably why I added The Battleship Potemkin to my list. It may be that I thought it was a documentary, and didn't look too closely. Turned out to be a soviet propaganda film from the silent film era. Pretty entertaining, really. Two people would come up to one another, one would say something, the other would talk for a minute or two, then the first would reply for a time...and then a dialog card would come up and say, "Hello".

I had no idea what that movie was about. The thing with soviet propaganda films was that there was always a message, it just wasn't always clear what the message was.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Did it take your breath away?
    Someone did stop breathing. I was mainly clinching my teeth.

It's pretty amazing the way they do saturation diving. The crew live in a gas rich chamber for 28 days at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    The crew live in a gas rich chamber for 28 days at a time.
    I had a colleague who ensured a gas rich environment for more than 28 days.

PowerPoster

ensured a gas rich environment
    How do you do that???

PowerPoster

Baked beans and boiled cabbage?

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    Baked beans and boiled cabbage?
    lol,

Yeah, that will do it.

King of sapila

Since you where talking about Netfix, this might probably be the best of it:

And a good new one to spend a couple of hours:
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

this might probably be the best of it:
    I'll second that. The Irishman is an excellent film.

PowerPoster

Ahh, MST3K. So funny, not just the film riffing but also so many of those hosting bits.

Sadly a lot of it references popular culture now far outside the experiences of recent audiences. But for the oldies among us this one roasting Jack Palance a little is hilarious:

Do people even remember Jack Palance any more, much less recall his TV series "Bronk" now?

Or remember the "Gor" books, one of which was adapted into the film they riffed on here in episode #519 in 1993?

I've just started watching the Midnight Club on Netflix. Been pretty good so far. It's made by the same people as The Haunting of Hill House (which was awesome!) but aimed at a lower age demographic - teens and twenties. I'm not in that demographic, in case you didn't guess, but I'm finding it stands up regardless.

Edit> I should note that the subject matter is DARK. I think it's handled well but may not be for everyone.

PowerPoster

I've heard that darker matter like that tends to be avoided by older and specific audiences. Older folks are feeling too close to mortality watching people leaving them one by one. Some audiences are fighting issues of anxiety and panic attack in their lives and can be "triggered" (overused word today) or put on edge by darker stuff too easily to enjoy it.

PowerPoster

I didn't say that to be insensitive. I'm old myself and have also had some anxiety issues (sometimes severe) and won't claim to understand them. So in both cases above I'm pretty sympathetic.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    I've heard that darker matter like that tends to be avoided by older and specific audiences. Older folks are feeling too close to mortality watching people leaving them one by one. Some audiences are fighting issues of anxiety and panic attack in their lives and can be "triggered" (overused word today) or put on edge by darker stuff too easily to enjoy it.
    I'm definitely old and I'd say my tastes have moved farther away from "scary" movies. But not much because I've never been a big fan that genre. Especially I've never liked slasher movies. For many years I've avoided most movies that feature a lot of fear or pain. So you wont catch me watching "Saw". Just the thought of a situation like that makes me uneasy. And the last thing I need is more things making me uneasy. But I have no problem with action movies where some guy kills dozens of bad guys. lol
    Last edited by wes4dbt; Oct 18th, 2022 at 01:37 PM.

PowerPoster

Yeah, I was thinking of some weirder stuff. Not even slashers.

I tried to watch a subtitled film from India billed as "mature horror" and it turned out to be entirely about older people getting trapped under things and dying, abandoned and ignored as they died in poverty from hunger and exposure, etc. Sort of like a series of very short Twilight Zone episodes with the same themes. When I got to the one where street thugs broke into an old lady's shack and terrorized her... "click" off it went. The jarring soundtrack didn't help much. It seemed to be mostly squeaky flutes and something like a concertina wheezing and wailing.

That sounds like something specifically designed to target anxieties. There are plenty of weird coping mechanisms, fetishes, and stuff, so it probably has it's own niche audience.

The stock market can be it's own horror show, these days. You just can't take it seriously.

PowerPoster

I like to watch old movies that give a sense of how people lived in the 1930s, 1940s, and 1950s. How they spoke, dressed, etc. including things like average folks' views of authority and the government or how they respond to alarming events.

Here's another one, a 1957 flick. A cut above the drive-in fare of the time. People were still going to theaters until TV took over in a big way for most families and going to the theater became a rarer event.

Though the story is about "aliens" arriving it is more about human reactions and actions.

I think I might have given the wrong impression about The Midnight Club. It's not a slasher, it's barely a horror. I'd describe it as a character drama that hints at being a ghost story (though I get the feeling those hints may become more pronounced as the series progresses - don't know yet).

When I say the subject matters dark I mean it deals with some dark themes but I don't feel it sensationalises them. I think I can give the set up without spoiling anything that isn't covered in the first episode. A young woman is diagnosed with cancer, the treatments aren't working so she decides to check herself into a hospice with other terminally ill young people so she'll feel accepted. They sneak into the kitchen each night at midnight to tell each other ghost stories. Given the setup, their stories tend to be very fatalistic and deal with subjects like self-harm, drug abuse, religion, prejudice etc. It's all very maturely handled but, yeah, could trigger (I agree - over used word) some folks and for other may just be total turn off. But if you want some solid drama with heavy themes, it's pretty good.

New recommendation if you want some lighter, thoroughly inappropriate NSFW fun: The Boys. I'm loving the new series but it's definitely aimed at those of us with a puerile sense of humour.

PowerPoster

New recommendation if you want some lighter, thoroughly inappropriate NSFW fun: The Boys. I'm loving the new series but it's definitely aimed at those of us with a puerile sense of humour.
    Have no idea what NSFW mean but The Boys is much more my type of entertainment. But I didn't stick around very long with this series. Can't really say why. I did make it through the Umbrella Academy. Which is very similar.

Well, when I say "make it through" a series, it's only true in the technical sense. My usual method is, I'll watch the first couple of episodes to learn all the players/goals/story and then fast forward through most of the other episodes, just stopping to watch enough to keep up or the situations/characters that I enjoy. Then, I watch the last episode. I can usually finish a series in a 3hr sitting. lol

I'd say it was a because of a short attention span but I can sit through a 3 1/2hr movie like Lawrence of Arabia and not touch the remote. Except to pause the movie for a bathroom break and give my butt a rest. lol

PowerPoster

Little known today:

"In 2087, free thought is illegal and the population is controlled by governments. A small band of free thinkers sends Garth A7, a cyborg, back in time to 1966 to prevent Professor Sigmund Marx from revealing his new discovery. The discovery will eventually make mind control possible and create a tyranny in Garth's time. He is pursued by two "Tracers" (also cyborgs) sent by the government to stop him."

Sounds like pure schlock, but it isn't as tacky as the description makes it seem. Very low budget and meant for television release.

PowerPoster

He was in one of my favorites in my younger years. The Day The Earth Stood Still. I still enjoy it.

NSFW = Not Safe For Work. It was originally used to tell folks not to open a link/attachment etc. at work but it's become a catch all for "content is risqué".

Umbrella Academy
    Excellent choice. I don't think the second and third series were as good as the first but they're all good.

PowerPoster

Not awful, and it tries to deliver a message for the times.

It got a lot of negative criticisms, though mostly from people pushing back against the message... and aviation nutjobs complaining that the movie poster featured a jetliner's silhouette and the aisle between the seats of the plane interior set was unrealistically wide!

"The film's storyline deals with an alien abduction. When his flight disappears, a rocket scientist finds himself on trial in the future for his part in designing a weapon that has destroyed all life on Earth."

Bonus: For fans of the Theremin this movie uses one for background music.
    Last edited by dilettante; Oct 22nd, 2022 at 12:16 AM.

PowerPoster

Are you into cryptozoology? Puppetry and practical effects? Meat Loaf's acting?

Ok, sarcastic humor?

Something to play in the background while playing handheld video games maybe.

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast