Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Stuff to watch

PowerPoster

Re: Stuff to watch

Caught up on the Peripheral tonight. Hadn't watched it since episode two. I still like it but I don't enjoy long drawn out series. Would enjoy it more if they cut out some of the side stories and have a four episode series. Then start a new season with a new plot line.

PowerPoster

Woo-hoo, a holiday gift.

One of their most bizarre suites of weird old videos, full length.

PowerPoster

Hilarious episode, probably Shatner's favorite too as George plays his fussy, bumbling self.

Did you catch the Stargate franchise actors in these clips? There are at least two.

PowerPoster

An introduction and tribute to a relatively unknown slice of meta-Americana. A hilarious comedy that captures so many real scenarios that some viewers find the pointed reminders of their own childhoods too painful.

The TV movie itself is hard to come by, since it was only released once on NTSC VHS and got little promotion. Close to original airing in 1988 it was shown a few times but then fell off the syndication circuit.

If you look you can find a VHS transfer on YouTube, but other than that garage sale copies of the tape are probably all you'll ever find. Since there is another new effort at HBO Max to cash in on "A Christmas Story" perhaps Disney might revive this early sequel from higher quality sources in the vaults somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    Caught up on the Peripheral tonight. Hadn't watched it since episode two. I still like it but I don't enjoy long drawn out series. Would enjoy it more if they cut out some of the side stories and have a four episode series. Then start a new season with a new plot line.
    I finished the entire season of the Peripheral. It was pretty interesting.
    Now I am watching Wednesday Adams. 2 episodes in and I am hooked.
    Everything that has a computer in will fail. Everything in your life, from a watch to a car to, you know, a radio, to an iPhone, it will fail if it has a computer in it. They should kill the people who made those things.- 'Woz'
    save a blobFileStreamDataTable To Text Filemy blog

PowerPoster

Not sure many caught this take on the character:

Note that the "thumbnail" image s another character in one episode.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

I've watched the first episode. It's good but she just doesn't feel like Wednesday to me. She comes across as a sulky teen rather than having Wednesday's self assured darkness. And the relationship with Morticia is all wrong. Morticia should be should be totally supportive of Wednesday but she comes across as dissaproving.

Like I said, though, it's good and I'm going to give the rest of the series a fair chance.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

PowerPoster

Old man vlogging:

Just one of many, but a perspective on life that might seem foreign to younger folks.

Most of his posts feature mid day meal prep and consumption with tales of his early years and entertainment industry career.

PowerPoster

Most of us know the film "White Christmas" but here is a brief making of video covering some of the story behind it:

The "VistaVision" process seems to be a cleverer bit of technology than I had imagined. It was used as an early low-cost way to help Paramount compete with television, which was picking up audience share. There were other processes, and later more advanced but costlier ones requiring more equipment and theater upgrades.
    Last edited by dilettante; Dec 12th, 2022 at 10:31 PM.

PowerPoster

It seems the coastal urban enclaves are beginning to twig to the changes under way:

Of course denial is still the way foreword elsewhere in the world. With just a few exceptions their fortunes look dim under demographic collapse and without the backs of American families to ride on any more.

They'll have no problem riding on the backs of American families. The US population drives the bulk of GDP in this country, and likely will for a very long time. So long as we are buying vast quantities of crap, there will be people making vast quantities of crap. Where that is made will keep on changing. Sometimes it will change in good ways, sometimes in bad. If labor costs are a bigger issue than shipping costs, then globalization will continue apace. If labor costs drop below shipping cost...you had best be asking why that is, because it may not be a good thing.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

PowerPoster

Metajournalism of science fiction, fantasy, comics, etc.

Old guy, interviewing an old guy, who used to do video interviews of old guys when he was a young guy.

Aspects of the TV program's format may have provided inspiration to Mystery Science Theatre 3000, a very different kind of show.

PowerPoster

If you enjoy this sort of thing you're probably quite aware of the story, but this retelling doesn't do a bad job of outlining the tale.

25 minutes, but there is additional video material there in the form of a livestream discussion.

PowerPoster

Old farts know stuff.

I'm sure that all around the world there are retired and retiring scientists with information and advice to pass on.

PowerPoster

A snippet of hilarious history. I have to say I miss the old guy though.

Just starting rebinging (that soooo needs to be a word) Babylon 5. I'd forgotten how good that series was.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

PowerPoster

This one seems oddly neglected. It says so much about our times.

I saw one of the stupidest scenes I've ever seen in a movie, yesterday. I watched Hunter Killer, which is a simple action movie, and was entertaining as such. However, it opened with a totally superfluous scene of the hero hunting in the Scottish highlands. He was bow hunting, which is illegal in Scotland, but that wasn't the bad part. He also took aim at a trophy bull elk from WAYYYYY too far for a bow, but that wasn't the bad part, either. The fact that elk aren't found in Scotland wasn't the bad part, either.

The bad part was that he was about to shoot the elk when he sees a doe and fawn following it, so he decides not to shoot it. There is SO much wrong with that. It's hard to cover them all. Was it that they don't form family units? Or the fact that it was an elk with a whitetail doe? Or the issue with the fawn being really young, yet the elk had antlers it would only have in the fall?

Worse, the scene had nothing to do with the movie, so it was a really bad scene for no reason at all.

yeah there's a lot of stuff wrong with that. I saw a bollywood movie where the protagonist went full-speed at a flatbed trailer on a horse, then slid the horse, on its side, under the trailer (while still saddled to it) and out the other side then the horse popped up and kept going. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUi_...=Hadeswithaids
    My light show youtube page (it's made the news) www.youtube.com/@artnet2twinkly
    Contact me on the socials www.facebook.com/lordorwell

Horses don't like doing that.

PowerPoster

I'm only into this season 2 episodes, but it still looks good:

I just finished watching ET. He made it home. That was a relief.

PowerPoster

"The Postman" (1997) the movie that woke Hollywood doesn't want you to see.

Trailer:

Last edited by dilettante; Dec 31st, 2022 at 11:36 AM.

PowerPoster

I'm not sure why this made me laugh so hard. Perhaps the accent?

PowerPoster

Not about Hitler or even the Bigfoot. More of a character story about a long lifetime.

I'm not sure there is much audience left for such films. No caped spandex, no pap sports, no live-action cartoon story.

PowerPoster

Seems to be fantasy eco-horror, but I haven't gone past the first episode yet. Might be a rehash of a 2010 movie of the same name, which is probably an adaption of some bottom shelf novel.

I'm not really into Lovecraft style stuff, and clunky accents don't cover thin stories for me. But I might stick with it and see if some of the sourness dissipates.

Without spoiling the tale for others, did anyone here like this new show?

PowerPoster

This one is interesting though I never finished it because it kept getting bounced around the schedule to accommodate pap sporting events.

Like so many other great shows it was canceled before it's time.

Interesting story. On the surface it looks like bad guys vs, good guys but things are a lot more nuanced than that. At a high level though it's basically a ripoff of S. M. Sterling's "Dies The Fire" book series. Shocking they never gave credit.

PowerPoster

In regard to "Revolution" (2012-2014) above, who remembers when the weird AI ("the Nano") started doing bizarre experiments on rats and humans to the soundtrack of its favorite song?

After rewatching the TV show I now realize why this song has been giving me the creeps in recent years.
    Last edited by dilettante; Jan 31st, 2023 at 12:22 AM.

PowerPoster

I haven't finished this or quite figured out what it is yet. Seems to be billed as "a feature length comedy."

This trailer mentions where it can be seen in the UK. In the US (and maybe Canada?) you can stream it for free on The Roku Channel. Probably lots of other places in the rest of the world.

The humor level is lowbrow - sort of like that of "Red Dwarf or "Shaun of the Dead."

I'm most of the way through "The Watcher" on Netflix. REALLY good suspense drama.

PowerPoster

I know some people don't care for media reaction videos, but this guy is hilarious. He does a great job, and though he doesn't like gore, jump scares, or sudden noises he's a good sport and lets his business partner and his viewers subject him to the movies he's avoided all his life.

When I came across one of his videos I wondered if he suffered from some form of Tourette's because he would shout "Shut up!" at the camera out of nowhere. Turns out that he is aware that his audience gets the giggles when something makes him jump. He's a good sport and I wish him success.

Here's a good example:

Just took the chance and watched S03E01 of Star Trek: Picard and I got to say, it's certainly an improvement over previous seasons. It's less CW teen drama and more actual Star Trek. No long monologues about feelings or thinly veiled social justice messages, just decent Sci-Fi entertainment. Let's hope they stay on this path. They might be able to redeem themselves.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    They might be able to redeem themselves.
    That's something anyway.

I was never big on TNG so I'm in less of a hurry but at least I can watch that episode for free.

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    That's something anyway.

I was never big on TNG so I'm in less of a hurry but at least I can watch that episode for free.
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    No long monologues about feelings
    I just want to rephrase what I said here. I shouldn't have said "no monologues", there are a couple but they're not in every scene like some teen drama as it was in previous seasons. For once the plot isn't driven by what everyone is feeling. There is far less melodramatic nonsense.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

King of sapila

The thing is a great movie btw.

Start trek, 2 first movies with Picard, not very good, the third one was better.
    But, that is from a guy that his best Star Trek movie is The wrath of khan
    Last edited by sapator; Feb 23rd, 2023 at 05:05 AM.
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

PowerPoster

JL from post #392 is really funny and remains a good sport.

His reaction to The Exorcist was amazing: "Now I'm going to buy ice cream and sit eating it in the Church parking lot until I feel better."

PowerPoster

These podcasts seldom fail to impress me. Great guests and respectful, intelligent discussions. Here's a clip:

Full length episode link: https://youtu.be/JBArxEqL3RU

PowerPoster

Trek role plays? Maybe not your thing, but this one isn't awful:

This is more ASMR than Star Trek. For anyone that doesn't know, ASMR content is the latest fad among the younger generation where extremely attractive young women milk the thousands of lost and lonely young men without a strong father figure out of their cash through a special kind of pseudo-sexual performance that focuses primarily on auditory stimuli. The most well known personality milking this fad is Amouranth who can be found on Twitch streaming to thousands of lost souls that go there to throw away their money like they found it.
    Last edited by Niya; Mar 3rd, 2023 at 01:12 PM.

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 ... LastLast