Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Stuff to watch

PowerPoster

Stuff to watch

In these times we face a lot of indoors time yet at the same time not as much traditional new media gets produced for obvious reasons.

I'm not really one for celebrities and actors but Inside of You with Michael Rosenbaum holds my interest now and then. He's gotten pretty good at long-form interviews that get the subjects to open up and be themselves. He also has a backlog of interviews with a wide range of folks you might be interested in.

Name:  Inside-of-You sm.png
Views: 2815
Size:  18.0 KB

These tend to run an hour to hour and a half, but you can always stop and resume later since they're on YouTube. And if nothing else it might give you something to leave on as background noise like people used to do with television in earlier times.

The audio podcasts are typically available from Spotify, ITunes, Podbay, etc. etc.
    Last edited by dilettante; Apr 21st, 2021 at 09:37 PM.

PowerPoster

Re: Stuff to watch

Small film, big names, quite a ride. Better than the trailer suggests.

PowerPoster

Here's one that won't be everyone's cup of tea. A short series, 7 stories, interconnected by a thread, and sort of "Twilight Zone" like.

But the overall theme is probably aimed at audiences maybe 55 years old and up.

PowerPoster

There are a couple of YouTube channels that specialize in nostalgia. If you're old enough you may rediscover things long forgotten.

Frenzied Member

Hmmm, I watch all kinds of stuff on Youtube, I already mentioned some stuff in the "what are you listening to" thread. The Geodiode channel has uploaded some pretty good stuff about climates and biomes recently.
    Last edited by Peter Swinkels; Jun 3rd, 2021 at 02:29 AM.

PowerPoster

Here's a quicky from 1979. MCU fans may appreciate the AntMan bit.

PowerPoster

Italian comedy miniseries that has been edited into the weirdest 2-part spaghetti western you've ever seen.

Thin plot, low budget, clunky acting, awkward sound design, goofy special effects, slow paced. Yet the story still seems to move at a nice if relaxed pace, the scenery is decent, and the characters can be quite endearing. Quite... er, "wholesome" I guess, as entertainment out of "Torontowood" goes lately (Hollywood works in Canada these days to evade taxes and unions). Your grandmother would have no problem with it at all.

Comedy? Well, yeah. But this ain't your Blazing Saddles or Legend of Brisco County Jr.

The Idiot

talking about Italian and Terence Hill.
    I would recommend any spaghetti western starring Terence Hill and Bud Spencer. actually any movie with those 2.
    one classic that I really enjoy and want to recommend, now, with Terence Hill and Henry Fonda, My Name is Nobody. its a nice movie that also has music made by Ennio Morricone.

PowerPoster

Thanks. Sounds like a good recommendation.

PowerPoster

When life cries for a little sarcasm:

PowerPoster

Before COVID we had:

Sort of "Star Trek on the high seas."

PowerPoster

Watched this again. Even wackier and raunchier than I remembered.

PowerPoster

Wow, so many "pandemic" stories in cinema. Many clearly made before this real one officially hit too.

Here is another one, with more of a "Children of Men" vibe. Seemed a bit slow and sad, but I think that was what they were going for. I just wish the indie film makers could get the hang of editing time jumps and flashbacks better, less subtle and jarring. Most of the big budget companies seem to manage it.

PowerPoster

Here is a horror flick, not slash and gore but spooky. I found it watchable and I don't seek out this sort of thing.

I'll admit to a guilty pleasure though. I like the ginned up "documentaries" by Small Town Monsters on cryptozoological mysteries. I don't take them even half-seriously, but they make good "cool down" background before bed in these times when you don't chat on porches with neighbors at the end of the day.

A neighbor even got several of us into doing "watch parties" of them on Amazon once a week. Gives us something else to talk about on the phone, across the street, etc. Lots of older folks in my neighborhood, so people try to "distance."

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    Before COVID we had:

Sort of "Star Trek on the high seas."
    OMG totally forgot about this. I have to finish watching this. I was watching it while it was still on going. Last episode I saw was with the Spanish guy, Tavo I think his name was. Having to wait every week for a new episode kinda made me forget about it which is why I never finished watching it. This one is on my "to do" list.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Swinkels View Post
    Hmmm, I watch all kinds of stuff on Youtube, I already mentioned some stuff in the "what are you listening to" thread. The Geodiode channel has uploaded some pretty good stuff about climates and biomes recently.
    My YouTube is mainly STEM content with some history thrown in there. I also watch a lot of financial content, some red-pill content, and a little League of Legends content and of course, music but who doesn't listen to music on YouTube.

Yea but History and STEM are the majority of what I watch on YouTube and where 90% of my subscriptions are. I especially love PBS Digital Studios and all their related channels. I'm also subscribed to ColdFusion, Veratasium, It's Okay to be Smart, The Science Asylum, Thoughty2 and many many more.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

PowerPoster

Yeah, getting busy and missing an episode or two can put you off a show, and they move them in the schedule too. Both can lead you to abandon a show.

Yeah, getting busy and missing an episode or two can put you off a show, and they move them in the schedule too. Both can lead you to abandon a show.
    Yea, I have so many shows like that to finish. I can't even remember them all. And sometimes, I start watching one show and then I discover another show and fall it love with it and forget about the previous show. For example, recently I started watching Under the Dome, then I gave True Blood a try. I ended up completely forgetting about Under the Dome and binged watch all 7 seasons of True Blood like a madman.

PowerPoster

My YouTube viewing is mainly music, financial, paleo-anthropological, and geopolitical. But I've been following the pandemic story as it unfolds too. Oh, and stories about battery technology developments, electronics, and some retro consumer electronics gear stuff.

Oh, and stories about battery technology developments
    I have a great interest in this too. I can't help it whenever I see a new video about the latest developments in battery tech. I can't wait to see which of all these new technologies will eventually dethrone Lithium ion. I'm betting on solid state batteries.

Geopolitical.
    For some reason, I have very little interest in politics. Politicians are great at saying a lot without saying anything which I find incredibly annoying and boring.

Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen | A Cappella Multitrack by Matt Mulholland

Discovered Matt Mulholland a few days ago. Love his comedic cover of this song!

PowerPoster

Geopolitics is more of a "where we've been, where we are, and where it looks like we are going" thing. Nonetheless it tends to rankle people highly focused within their own Bubbles. A lot of people are used to politicized banners and sound bites so they have a hard time sitting through a geopolitical presentation which might take a hour, two hours, or more.

Geopolitics is more of a "where we've been, where we are, and where it looks like we are going" thing. Nonetheless it tends to rankle people highly focused within their own Bubbles. A lot of people are used to politicized banners and sound bites so they have a hard time sitting through a geopolitical presentation which might take a hour, two hours, or more.

Ah I see.

I just took a little piece of his opening and I'm sold. I'm probably gonna end up watching this whole video. It's more like a historical analysis but with a more political colouring than a typical historical analysis piece. This is definitely my kind of stuff too.

PowerPoster

Keep in mind that politics was just the 1st segment in his talk.

I watched all the way up to the Q&A. It was very interesting. He seemed a bit biased at times which is a little jarring but he mostly kept it straight. He did a good job explaining his points to someone like me who really doesn't understand much about politics. I especially liked the segment near the beginning about how Americans align themselves politically and the reasons behind it and I wish he spent a little more time on this.

PowerPoster

He has his biases, and plays to his audience which tends to be business segments having conventions. There are some things I disagree with, others I hope he proves to be wrong about, but he's a futurist not a prophet.

Here's one he did for a group of Indian Economic Conclave folks, but it runs about 40 minutes. You'll see him refer to the same books and slides though. He's basically selling his books and lectures and stuff.

He has his biases, and plays to his audience which tends to be business segments having conventions. There are some things I disagree with, others I hope he proves to be wrong about, but he's a futurist not a prophet.
    Err. Well nobody is perfect I guess. But I find his presentation overall appealing. He seems mostly neutral and sticks to facts and figures which I love. I hate when people talk out of their ass with zero evidence to back up their claims. That's definitely not this guy.

Here's one he did for a group of Indian Economic Conclave folks, but it runs about 40 minutes. You'll see him refer to the same books and slides though. He's basically selling his books and lectures and stuff.

Watched a couple minutes of this to get a sense of what it's about. I will definitely watch this later. There are a couple of talking points in that I'm eager to hear about, specifically about how the American military is playing it's part in the world arena.

PowerPoster

I wouldn't call this a "big" film and it does bog down in places but it is watchable and something you may not have seen. No gore, but there are images that you might find disturbing depending on the context you approach the movie from.

It's another take on a cautionary tale about AI, but it takes things in a different direction from most films on that topic. Perhaps a less sappy "Chappie" but I think that movie had its points as well.

It's almost "District 9 meets Mad Max, with robots" in a way.

PowerPoster

Prefer stories about supersoldiers?

PowerPoster

Here's a wartime Christmas season flick that seems all but forgotten today. No spoilers, but there is actually a lot here. This isn't just a vacuous story to someone who has had family in such situations. It's also a slice of life from an earlier time, practically historical times by today's standards.

This one is a must watch in my opinion. It's been a long time since a mainstream movie has entertained me this much. All of the politically correct SJW feminazi rubbish made today is really hard to stomach to be honest. This one was a rare gem.

PowerPoster

If you like the wacky crypto-science spook hunter genre you might give Hellier a try. Well done as such things go, about 15 episodes in total telling a more or less linear yarn.

This one starts around the Kentucky Goblin Caves legends but wanders from that quite a bit.

Yea, that one very interesting. I'll have to check it out.

PowerPoster

This isn't for everyone, but it's a movie I keep coming back to.

The setting is a small New Mexico town one evening in 1959. This is a light horror/sci-fi picture that recaptures the feel of the better 1950s drive-in B movies like "The Blob" thinly wrapped in a "Twilight Zone" format, but done using modern cinematic equipment and techniques. It has the feel of a campfire tale or late night call-in talk radio segment told so well that the movie plays out in your mind as you listen.

It isn't for the impatient. There are no caped spandex superheroes and not one explosion to be seen. One of the important characters is an old man only heard over the telephone. Another is an old homebound woman telling her piece of the story.

PowerPoster

Here's one most people have missed. Not a kids' story, it's a little bit rougher than PG-13.

I think all three parts are still free on YouTube.

PowerPoster

Clip: John Connor meets his father.

Time travel is so freaky!

PowerPoster

This show is probably another sleeper many have missed. A science fiction drama.

This clip is from late in the run of the show, but it contains an example of the show's use of an instrumental arrangement of Radiohead's "Creep" that gets used fairly often underlying various scenes. The lyrics actually go quite well with the story.

Caution: If you haven't seen the show and plan to, this clip is a little spoilery. And violent.

This show is probably another sleeper many have missed. A science fiction drama.
    I've watched this entire show a few years back. It started out pretty plainly but it got very interesting as the show went on. The only thing that disappointed me was that the doctor on the island was a fraud. It would have been 10x more interesting if he was in fact some kind of ancient immortal that discovered the secrets to eternal life. Still though, really good show.

Also. I'm convinced that Tatiana Maslany is the most talented actress alive. She played all these clones, yet she did it so good that you sometimes forget they were all played by one actress. Never seen anything like that before. Very few actors could do something like that. Johnny Depp might be the only well known actor who can match her in the sheer talent of playing a wide diversity of characters convincingly.
    Last edited by Niya; Oct 31st, 2021 at 12:30 PM.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    I've watched this entire show a few years back. It started out pretty plainly but it got very interesting as the show went on. The only thing that disappointed me was that the doctor on the island was a fraud. It would have been 10x more interesting if he was in fact some kind of ancient immortal that discovered the secrets to eternal life. Still though, really good show.

Also. I'm convinced that Tatiana Maslany is the most talented actress alive. She played all these clones, yet she did it so good that you sometimes forget they were all played by one actress. Never seen anything like that before. Very few actors could do something like that. Johnny Depp might be the only well known actor who can match her in the sheer talent of playing a wide diversity of characters convincingly.
    Another show I think is similar in some ways is "Hanna" which repeated and extended the story of the earlier movie of the same name. It differs though. It has genetically modified humans bred to be female next-generation Jason Bournes. Season 3 should drop on Amazon this Thanksgiving (US).

The young actresses in this show do a pretty good job too, though different since they are playing "Pretender" assassins.

Come to think of it the old "Pretender" TV show was pretty good itself.

PowerPoster

Bicycle safety... or something:

Good introduction to Rifftrax.

Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast