Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Stuff to watch

PowerPoster

Re: Stuff to watch

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    You're clearly not looking very hard. I can certainly identify franchises that have embraced inclusivity, but I can trivially identify franchises that have simply ignored it too. I guess the standard advice applies: if you don't like it, don't watch it.
    That's good advice.

The biggest problem I have is being old means you've already seen all these various situations portrayed many times. I haven't been watching any new TV comedies or dramas ... for several years. I mainly watch the Science Ch, Discovery, History, Cartoon Network(adult swim), Turner Classic Movies, sports. On Netflix and amazon I watch a lot of documentaries.

Even with all of that, I still hardly ever find anything I'm excited to watch. Not because there's something about the shows that offends me but it's just hard to find something fresh that interests me.

Old age sucks but the alternative is worse. lol

PowerPoster

I think you understand his complaint but reject it because he delivers it too aggressively and it conflicts with your own bias. Inclusivity is one thing, and perfectly reasonable. But what I think he objects to is cultural misappropriation and indoctrination.

If you watch recent advertising (let alone entertainment programming) you'd think your own country is 90% non-white, 50% gay or trans, 99% female, and families 70% multiracial.

There are certainly places in the world where some of that is true, but that isn't the geography being targeted. And if you view domestic media in African and Asian countries you don't see any of that at al.

So when well-off western white professionals preach "inclusivity" their double-speak really means exclusivity. The lower-middle and working class folks are being bludgeoned because "I don't have to outcompete the bear, I just need to outcompete you - by holding you down and excluding you from your own society."

It is class warfare that has nothing to do with "minority" people except as tools.

I'm sorry if that comes off as too aggressive.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    I think you understand his complaint but reject it because he delivers it too aggressively and it conflicts with your own bias. Inclusivity is one thing, and perfectly reasonable. But what I think he objects to is cultural misappropriation and indoctrination.

If you watch recent advertising (let alone entertainment programming) you'd think your own country is 90% non-white, 50% gay or trans, 99% female, and families 70% multiracial.

There are certainly places in the world where some of that is true, but that isn't the geography being targeted. And if you view domestic media in African and Asian countries you don't see any of that at al.

So when well-off western white professionals preach "inclusivity" their double-speak really means exclusivity. The lower-middle and working class folks are being bludgeoned because "I don't have to outcompete the bear, I just need to outcompete you - by holding you down and excluding you from your own society."

It is class warfare that has nothing to do with "minority" people except as tools.

I'm sorry if that comes off as too aggressive.
    I don't find that aggressive. No name calling or degrading comments of stupid people and idiots. But I don't agree.

I've said this before, TV or politics are driven by the people. TV is a business and it's purpose is to make money. The more viewer they can attract the more money they can make. So, TV is provide what people want.

If it's,
    so be it. Those numbers are extreme but I agree the real US is not near that inclusive. TV has never been a true representation. I mean June Cleaver wore a pearl necklace while cleaning the house. lol

I'd say TV is more representative of what people wish the world was like. Cops catch the bad guys, racism is minimized or called out, happy endings, ....

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    "entertainment programming"
    Ah, there you have the whole issue, expressed in just two words...
    ...(and it apparently works on people, as the recent "banning" has shown).

wes4dbt is right, that mass-media was always (mis)used, to transport "agendas".

What Niya (and others, myself included) are trying to say here (and I'm all for "real inclusivity")
    is the "increased intensity" of these programming-attempts over the recent years.

It's "the degree of it" which makes one sick (when encountered) these days...

Just my $0.02...

Olaf

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

I think you understand his complaint but reject it because he delivers it too aggressively
    That's actually a fairly accurate summary of why he was banned. He's entitled to his opinion, he's not entitled to the aggression. For the record, though, it's not the aggression that leads me to rejecting his complaint. I reject it because I disagree with it.

But let's not derail yet another thread onto this particular culture war. The "what to watch" discussion is pretty useful and derailing it probably won't lead anywhere good anyway. If people want to have that discussion I'd suggest starting a new thread but people should keep it civil and avoid baiting. (I actually think it would be an interesting discussion to have as long as it's kept civil)

Edit> This should probably go without saying but just to be clear: @Wes, @Dil and @Olaf, nothing you've put in those last few posts would be considered beyond the pail. It would be completely appropriate for a discussion to be had in that tone.
    Last edited by FunkyDexter; Sep 13th, 2022 at 05:13 AM.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

PowerPoster

But let's not derail yet another thread onto this particular culture war.
    Yeah, I was disappointed by where it had begun to go myself.

I'm beginning to think what causes things to get so harsh and brutal is escalating rounds of "Well I can't let that go unchallenged!" that start slow then ramp up exponentially. The flaw behind that might be a vain belief that "If people can just hear my truth they'll fall in line or at least be silenced." That can't possibly work for these kinds of topics.

It doesn't even work for programming topics that have far more objective "truths" though in practice few are absolute. Even if you narrow things to issues of performance there are things to consider like algorithm edge cases or risk of implementation flaws, volume of data, or tradeoffs between space and time. Is a binary search or a hash table important when your application never has more than 12 items to juggle and only needs to do it once?

Well, I can't let that go unchallenged!

Can't think of anything to add to it, though. Good post.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

PowerPoster

No, Rick Deckard was not a Replicant.

How about a reptile? I'm not too concerned about the spelling. Replicant, reptile, I'm flexible.

And I don't know who Rick Deckard is.

PowerPoster

Seriously?

Welcome to Los Angeles:

Arguably the first major cyberpunk feature film, and a landmark in science fiction cinema.

PowerPoster

I'd hoped to find this scene for something closer to the theatrical and television release cuts. Those had more narration over the silences to provide exposition that is still probably useful for those who haven't seen the movie in its various forms over the decades since initial release.

PowerPoster

For the masochist:

But of course the narration comes out as a muddle after all of this mixing.

I saw that movie about thirty years ago. I didn't remember his name after all that time.

PowerPoster

One of my sons saw it when he was 19 as part of a college class on literature and media, and became obsessed with it for a while. He was even caught up in a campus fan club for Philip K. Dick and adaptations of his work, which at least had more girls than something like a board gaming clan would have back in those days.

a landmark in science fiction cinema
    Definitely! I thought the recent sequel was a worthy successor too. Not ground breaking in the way the original was but still had an intelligent plot, great direction, great acting and stunning visuals.

Speaking of sequels, if you haven't seen it, go and see the new TopGun. Objectively it's a very silly film but so was the original and that didn't stop either of them from being AWESOME!
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

Arguably the first major cyberpunk feature film, and a landmark in science fiction cinema.
    One the my favourite Science Fiction Movies ever, love Blade Runner.

I thought the recent sequel was a worthy successor too
    I Liked the Sequel but didn't love it, it was a bit slow and I guess I'm just not a Ryan Gosling Fan he is no Harrison Ford.
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by NeedSomeAnswers View Post
    I Liked the Sequel but didn't love it, it was a bit slow and I guess I'm just not a Ryan Gosling Fan he is no Harrison Ford.
    I feel ambivalent about the newer Mad Max movie too.

The 1st movie is good in its way, but the 2nd and 3rd are pretty good stuff for its genre. The recent "Fury Road" was ok but seemed too derivative and opportunistic. I have no idea what to expect of "The Wasteland" or "Furiosa" that were slated to arrive soon.

I really liked Fury Road. Like the new Top Gun, it's a very silly movie but I don't think that matters. A Mad Max film is all about the visuals and the vehicles and they absolutely nailed that (particularly the Doof Warrior).

Some films I want a serious and intelligent plot from (Blade Runner being one) but other's I just want to be left grinning like a loon.

PowerPoster

I really liked Fury Road. Like the new Top Gun, it's a very silly movie but I don't think that matters. A Mad Max film is all about the visuals and the vehicles and they absolutely nailed that (particularly the Doof Warrior).

Some films I want a serious and intelligent plot from (Blade Runner being one) but other's I just want to be left grinning like a loon.
    I got a kick out of Fury Road. As you said for the visuals. Plus I've been a Charlize Theron fan ever since I saw her in Two Day in The Valley many years ago. She just was an absolute knockout.

The first time I saw blade Runner it was at a drive in and you couldn't really see crap. I wasn't impressed. I've come to like it more now that I've seen it on a good TV.

PowerPoster

Well to me "Fury Road" was really just a random action/visuals flick. They could have replaced Max by any random character or left his role out entirely and nothing would change. The Max character wasn't really even the audience POV this time.

It's like "Big Trouble in Little China" with no Jack Burton. It would go from a spoof of Asian exploitation martial arts flicks to just another example of what it was pushing back against.

But who knows what audiences are thinking. People watch "Starship Troopers" with no self-awareness or a clue that they are supposed to be cringing at nearly every moment of the authoritarian cultural tendencies it lampoons.

PowerPoster

Well to me "Fury Road" was really just a random action/visuals flick. They could have replaced Max by any random character or left his role out entirely and nothing would change. The Max character wasn't really even the audience POV this time.
    True, it was just a action/visual movie. But with a very large budget. So the quality of the visuals was excellent. Of coarse whether you like them or not is your choice. But you got to have Max in a Mad Max film. Other wise it's just another post apocalyptic, lone wolf film.

One thing the movies have taught me is stay away from lone wolfs, their tortured souls have made them like a violence magnet and they're almost impossible to kill.

PowerPoster

A failure to generate wealth for the bottom half of the population, the slowdown of general education, and the rise of a fatalist worldview. Stuff we don't seem to look at head-on.

In 1970, Stanford professor Paul Ehrlich published a famous book, The Population Bomb, in which he described a disasterous future for humanity: “The battle to feed all of humanity is over. In the 1970s and 1980s hundreds of millions of people will starve to death in spite of any crash programs embarked upon now.”

That prediction turned out to be very wrong, and in this interview American Enterprise Institute scholar Nicholas Eberstadt tells how we are in fact heading toward the opposite problem: not enough people. For decades now, many countries have been unable to sustain a population replacement birth rate, including in Western Europe, South Korea, Japan, and, most ominously, China. The societal and social impacts of this phenomenon are vast.

We discuss those with Eberstadt as well as some strategies to avoid them.
    Two guys talking for an hour. Painful but some things worth hearing here.

Yes, there is some self-congratulatory conservatism here but I discount that as the kind of fallibility we all have. It is hard to escape our own bias.

I seem to be on a reboot binge. Been watching Cobra Kai and absolutely loving it.

PowerPoster

This was decent:

A filthy animal unfit for human company… and a dog.

That does look good.

Another recommendation for fans of the woofer would be "A Dog's Purpose" but be prepared to shed a tear or two.

PowerPoster

I just noticed that The Roku Channel has season 5 available for the next few weeks.

I haven't seen these episodes since they first ran on TV.

PowerPoster

If you can place yourself in its time, this is sort of "the nerdy man's Ocean's 11."

The tech is mostly obsolete but in its day it was gripping, so much so that it was a bit over the heads of general audiences.

The movie is mostly a showcase for its cast. Young people today probably won't even recognize most of the actors though, despite the fact that 1992 really isn't that long ago.

Oooh, I've never heard of that but it looks good. And what a cast! I'll have to see if I can hunt it down.

I've seen that one a few times. There is a scene in there in some kind of penthouse with some art on the walls. Most people wouldn't notice that, and I don't really understand the reference, but either the art was owned by a friend of my sister's, or the penthouse was owned by him, or something like that. They all recognized the art, anyways...and I did not.

PowerPoster

Ryan Reynolds. What a goon.

Any chance this is for real?

PowerPoster

Anyone remember Defiance?

Any chance this is for real?
    Think so. I'm seeing lots of Deadpool memes starting to crop up.

I'm 50/50 on whether I want to see more Deadpool films. I thought the first was awesome, the second was good. On that trajectory it could trend toward mediocrity. If the recapture the first, though, I'll call it a win.

PowerPoster

I thought it was interesting that the tease seems to be serious about Jackman returning as Wolverine. But I suppose that could just be a Deadpool gag.

I'd say the odds are pretty high. They definitely like taking the mickey out of Wolverine and I get the impression Jackman enjoys leaning into it.

PowerPoster

I'm not sure how much of the 1980s schlock and semi-schlock sword and sorcery flicks inspired by the success of the Star Wars franchise people are familiar with.

Here's one that seems less known today:

Not up to the quality of the Conan movies, maybe not even up to Krull's level. But still fun and a part of '80s culture.

They should have had Arnold playing Conan in that movie. After all, Red Sonja and Conan often crossed paths in the comics of the time, and Arnold had already played Conan, so it would have fit.

PowerPoster

"Sleepcore" takes old visual media and strings snippets together and re-contextualizes them.

These videos vary by theme. There is also an annual "Nightmarecore" for Halloween season. Those are not posted to YouTube, but dig around there and you can find links to them.

Here's one of the more conventional examples:

While these are not intended as a sleep aid, many people seem to find them useful for that purpose. Lots of them will offer a taste of advertising and educational shorts of the 1950s and 1960s. Many of those filled out the programs of movie theaters and drive-ins, while others were aimed at classrooms or on-the-job training.

PowerPoster

Maybe check this out first:

Banned

Loft
    Name:  p10479485_p_v8_an.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  91.4 KB

PowerPoster

If you dig around you can find the skits and snippets of this prototypical role model for the iPhone and EV owners of today.

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast