Thread: Accessing Visual C++

Lively Member

Accessing Visual C++

I have just installed Visual Studio 2019 and got everything working OK for vb.net

I now need to use a DLL I wrote in VC++ many years ago which I use in vb.net. The run fails and I get an error message.

When I look into this and try to start VC++ (by clicking on xxxx.vcxproj) I get a message saying

"the application for the project is not installed" (see attachment below)

Prsumably I need to somehow activate it?

Thank you
    Bob

PS I ticked the box to download VC++ when I installed Visual Studio but maybe there was a problem?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by wavering; Apr 21st, 2021 at 04:07 AM.

Re: Accessing Visual C++

Can you show us a screenshot of the workloads selected in the VS installer?

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    Can you show us a screenshot of the workloads selected in the VS installer?
    Unfortunately not - this is all on a new laptop and when I installed VS I had not got my screenshot software properly installed

Maybe I could just re-install and only select the VC++? Maybe there are other components I missed but I ticked just about every box that seemed even vaguely relevant .. thank you for your help

PowerPoster yereverluvinuncleber's Avatar

Ctrl+prntScr will do it. Ctrl+v to paste. Alt+prntScr will take a shot of just the relevant window.

Quote Originally Posted by wavering View Post
    I had not got my screenshot software properly installed
    Is it Windows 10? If so then you have Snip & Sketch built in and I think that Snipping Tool is still there as well.

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    Is it Windows 10? If so then you have Snip & Sketch built in and I think that Snipping Tool is still there as well.
    Well, yes I do have Win 10! But I use Screenhunter 7 and now it is installed and properly working it means I just make a single click to copy images or videos and I am writing an image processing program that deals with thousands of images in a stream so that is needed (I hate buying software but sometimes it does help)

When you buy a new laptop it is a total war and I was fighting on numerous fronts ... fighting off software that wants to control my life ...

Anyway, back to my problem ... how to make VC++ operational ... any ideas?

Start VS2019. Under Get Started select Open Project Or Solution. Navigate to the .sin (or .vcxprj) file and open it. Within the Solution Explorer window you should see the solution. Expand the tree as needed. Expand Source Files. You should see the .c/.cpp files. Double lick each as needed to open. Then use Project/Properties to set the build options. Then Build/Build Solution to create the .exe/.dll et al.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by 2kaud View Post
    Start VS2019. Under Get Started select Open Project Or Solution. Navigate to the .sin (or .vcxprj) file and open it. Within the Solution Explorer window you should see the solution. Expand the tree as needed. Expand Source Files. You should see the .c/.cpp files. Double lick each as needed to open. Then use Project/Properties to set the build options. Then Build/Build Solution to create the .exe/.dll et al.
    Thank you for taking the trouble!

I have got it working - I did some random clicking (not a helpful statement I know) then clicked on the project and this time it suggested I do

Properties --> Retarget --> VC 2019

So I did that and got an error message which I corrected and the the program compiled so considerable progress!

Still not allowing me to call the DLL from VB.net but I am much further forward (I think)

[Edit] I can now use the DLL

It was coming up telling me the format was wrong ... solution seems to be

Build --> Configuration Manger --> Active Solution Plateform Chnaged to x86

Good so far ...
    Last edited by wavering; Apr 22nd, 2021 at 07:27 AM.