Thread: Defender is flagging my application

Hyperactive Member

Defender is flagging my application

I have an application that I originally built many years ago and have been using without issue since then. It is a Windows Forms project that uses MS Access for its back-end database. The application is crucial...I use it to manage my on-line account passwords, security challenge questions, notes, and other details (preferred browser, website URL, etc.). The back-end database is encrypted with a password.

The last time I rebuilt the application (Release) was 20-Feb-2021 and I've been using it almost daily without incident since then.

This morning when I launched this application, my Defender anti-virus program flagged it. The offending item is shown below

Code:
    Trojan:Script/Wacatac.B!ml
    Defender then removed the executable (.exe) and shortcut (.lnk) files from my PC (everywhere, including in my backup/archive folders). Defender didn't remove the MS Access back-end database file.

This is the first time I've experienced this, so my first thought was to plug in a USB flash drive that I use to store backups of important files and restore the deleted files back to my PC.

Defender then immediately removed the executable (.exe) and shortcut (.lnk) files from the USB drive.

I launched VS2019 and rebuilt the application (Release). When I launched the rebuilt application, my Defender anti-virus program flagged it again and removed it from my PC as described above.

I then opened Defender and "allowed" the above flagged item, rebuilt the application again (Release), and launched the application. This time, the application started without interference from Defender.

Has anyone seen this issue? What is causing the problem? Why is this problem appearing now (after years of trouble-free experience with my application)? Should I be concerned (especially given the function of this application)?
    Last edited by Mark@SF; Apr 20th, 2021 at 06:44 AM.

Re: Defender is flagging my application

If you Google:

Trojan:Script/Wacatac.B!ml

You will see you are not alone.
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

Hyperactive Member

Tyson -

You will see you are not alone.
    I did take a look at Google before posting this thread. Google showed a bunch of links to ads for anti-virus software. I use Microsoft's Defender anti-virus software.

Do you know how to use Defender to delete the Trojan:Script/Wacatac.B!ml offending item?

The only thing I see in the Defender software is to "allow" or "remove" the offending item. Choosing to remove the offending item also removes my application . Choosing to allow the offending item means that I can run my application, but if this offending item is truly a threat, then this approach probably (?) isn't appropriate.

Here's the Defender window.

Name:  2021-04-20_7-59-47.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  16.3 KB

The "Learn more" link in the above window takes you to the following webpage.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi...tid=2147735503

This link gives "circular" advice...

Name:  2021-04-20_8-02-39.jpg
Views: 729
Size:  25.3 KB
    Last edited by Mark@SF; Apr 20th, 2021 at 07:03 AM.

This isn't an ad...did you try it:

https://www.windows10forums.com/thre...dows-10.22550/
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

You mean by "delete" to delete the virus/trojan from the the file?
    It's a false positive, so there is nothing to delete.
    The scanner doesn't really find a virus/trojan, but only some fingerprints which have something in common with fingerprints in their database.

And it was a very long time ago when VirusScanners were able to remove the actual virus from an application.

You should submit your application
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/filesubmission

Hyperactive Member

Tyson -

Thanks, that fixed the issue.

Hyperactive Member

Arnoutdv -

Do you know what might have happened to make Defender think my application was infected this morning?

I ran the application yesterday evening with no complaints from Defender.

An update of the virus database and maybe some newly added heuristics