Thread: Phone Menu System (DTMF)

Hyperactive Member

Phone Menu System (DTMF)

Hello I am trying to create a program that can deal with phone calls and require some help on this subject.
    Basically I will have a phone line either magic jack or landline and I will have people calling in to the number.

Q: What needs to happen when they call the number?

A: The vb .net program will pickup when it rings and play a recorded message and they will have some choices on the phone system menu.
    Example: Press 1 To Hear Santa Clause, Press 2: To Leave A Message For Santa, Press 3: To Enter ID Code and Receive An Email From Santa

If you are wondering about option 3 they would need an account/email registered first obviously.

So I need to know how I can do this I mean I realize that they must use the phone keypad to enter the DTMF tones but I really have no idea how to start with this..
    If anyone can help me get going in the right direction I really appreciate your help.

King of sapila

Re: Phone Menu System (DTMF)

I'm not sure about the response calls.
    Anyhow, I have 2 option in mind.
    1)Find the API of the manufacturer
    2)I created a phone managing system 9 or 10 years ago, i did have the manufactured API ( I believe it was Siemens) but it was in German! So no modern translations, I had to use the Windows Telephony API.
    I believe it was TAPI2 not TAPI3 , other than that, I don't have a clue if I have the program as it was a previous company app. I guess you would also need to google for some samples but here is the MSDN docs:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...ing-interfaces
    I'll see if I can find any leftovers from the app I had tomorrow but there is a very slim chance.

Hyperactive Member

ok I think TAPI3 is probably what I might require, I will be using a magic jack..
    The first problem is how will I detect if it is ringing and then how to pick it up and play the menu audio file and waiting for user input..
    I can play audio files via windows API I have that, I just don't know the rest.

if anyone has any idea how I might do this with a magic jack I have no idea how this process works..

I guess I am a bit confused because the landline works via a 56k modem connected to the PC but the magic jack is USB
    This seems like it would be a different way I would need to approach this if using a magic jack vs landline.
    Although the magic jack still does use a phone jack.. so yeah I was just wondering if it would use the same windows protocol?
    Last edited by DreamWarrior77; Apr 16th, 2021 at 08:42 PM.

King of sapila

Hmm.
    I can't find the app. If it's on my old PC I would need to remove the drive and search.
    Anyhow. First things first.
    You need to make your system identify your peripherals as modem or phone. You will probably need a driver to ID you devices. It does not matter if it's usb or line or anything.
    As long as it identifies then you can use the TAPI.
    Then you should try the basic functions of make a call, redirect a call , get a call, keep your line running, close the line. If all of these are made then we can see about the music.
    So, I don't usually recommend this but, it would be better to find an example and after read any MSDN documents. The reason is that I remember that I had used the most API functions I've ever used in my life to get this to work and back then, without examples, I had to create everything from scratch. It took me 2-3 months just to make the basics I describe above.
    So , drivers, examples, documentation. And I'll try to look in my old HD if I have anything for this.