Thread: Changing the height of a textbox with a button - Windows Form Application

Post Changing the height of a textbox with a button - Windows Form Application

Hello, very new to programming as a whole - how do I change the height of a text box with a button? The project I'm working on has a main textbox which is covers a search bar (and a smaller text box) for a different function on my Windows App Form, but I'm looking to shrink my main text box so that the search bar is visible for another function.

Re: Changing the height of a textbox with a button - Windows Form Application

Quote Originally Posted by JakeC View Post
    I'm looking to shrink my main text box so that the search bar is visible for another function.
    why shrink it when you can hide it :

Code:
    Private Sub Button5_Click(sender As System.Object, e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button5.Click
            If TextBox1.Visible Then
                TextBox1.Visible = False
            Else
                TextBox1.Visible = True
            End If

End Sub
    you could also change the z order if you still want to see some of it
    Last edited by Delaney; Apr 15th, 2021 at 02:07 PM.
    The best friend of any programmer is a search engine
    "Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better. Don't wish for less problems, wish for more skills. Don't wish for less challenges, wish for more wisdom" (J. Rohn)

More to Delaney's suggestion, since the Visible property returns a Boolean, you can toggle the visibility by using the Not keyword:
    Code:
    TextBox1.Visible = Not TextBox1.Visible

Quote Originally Posted by dday9 View Post
    More to Delaney's suggestion, since the Visible property returns a Boolean, you can toggle the visibility by using the Not keyword:
    Code:
    TextBox1.Visible = Not TextBox1.Visible
    The best friend of any programmer is a search engine
    "Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better. Don't wish for less problems, wish for more skills. Don't wish for less challenges, wish for more wisdom" (J. Rohn)

[QUOTE=Delaney;5518207]why shrink it when you can hide it :

So, the problem I have now is I've already hidden the main textbox for a different function. These functions are List and Edit, List shows a read-only textbox and Edit shows a normal textbox. How do I make it so I can switch between both modes at will without any overlapping?

The question doesn't really make sense as asked because, unless it's multiline, the Height of a TextBox is determined by its Font. You should absolutely be either hiding and showing the specific controls you want at any specific time or putting sets of controls on Panels and then changing the z-order so the Panel you want is in front. Rather than the vague and confusing description you have provided, be clear about what you want. Tell us exactly what you want to happen in exactly what scenarios, i.e. "I want to see A when X, B when Y, etc". If screenshots would help clarify, provide them. Once we know what you actually want, we can provide the best advice to achieve it.