Thread: VB6: NEWS - TwinBasic VB6's Second Potential Replacement

PowerPoster yereverluvinuncleber's Avatar

VB6: NEWS - TwinBasic VB6's Second Potential Replacement

This is a more visible link to the well-hidden thread for TwinBasic, VB6's Second Potential Replacement which has just launched a preview and deserves some attention from the VB6 community.

https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....winBasic/page2

Mods. Please keep this post here so the VB6 community at large gets to see this thread.

Lively Member

Re: VB6: NEWS - TwinBasic VB6's Second Potential Replacement

I tried the preview and it worked well.
    The instruction on installing the compiler was a little vague (install from marketplace) but I ended sorting it ( Run, Install Additional debuggers/compilers, choose TwinBasic)
    I can't wait to see how TwinBasic develops. I was kind of really devastated to see the Vb6 PlanetVb web site disappear so I am hoping all the uploaders will turn to TwinBasic and convert their old vb6 projects. I was a regular uploader to PlanetVb. It might be nice to get sent email updates on the progress of TwinBasic. I will definitely buy it when it becomes available (hoping its not too expensive). I sent a few ex members of PlanetVB the details of Twinbasic.

Wishing you well Wayne PhillipsEA

Frenzied Member

There is some information on writing and debugging twinBASIC code here...

Debugging code in twinBASIC

Here is a video showing how to install twinBASIC (you need to download and install Microsoft VS Code first)...

twinBASIC - quick setup guide
    Last edited by VB6 Programming; Apr 10th, 2021 at 10:40 AM.

PowerPoster

Is there a Chinese version?
    If provide a kind of the simplest language pack way, I hope to be able to make a Chinese version of the language pack.

The mods moved the NEWS item on RADBasic to the other basic section when specifically asked not to. However, they only moved the RADBasic thread and not that for TwinBasic making the mods seem less than impartial. A bad decision I would say.

The community needs to popularise those threads to help these two new products succeed, they may be the future of VB6 and so the VB6 section needs to have a link to those threads.

So - please mods, let these the news threads be for a while, the TwinBasic should stay where it is just for the time being and please restore that for RADBasic and in so doing restore your impartiality.

The Idiot

I think its confusing to have twin/rad/anyVB in 2 different places.
    why not create a sticky with the title: "other basic (twinbasic/rad)" with a link to OTHER BASIC.
    its one of the other, or we place everything here or we have everything in Other Basic, not a mix.

also, for me RC6 should be placed in other basic or have its own section since its not part of VB6.
    for me RC6 is not just a class or module but more like a "mod" (modification).

Well, the mods do need to be consistent. Otherwise it is just bad moderation. I'll take what they do as moderating is a hard and unthankful task but it needs to be the same for all, one rule for all.

I hear what you say about RC6 but I can't comment.

PowerPoster

If this work is charged, the forum will say that you are advertising, so it is forbidden to post here. If it's free, because you're not VB6, even if you want to replace VB6, they have to transfer you to other boards unconditionally. Business forums are like this, and sometimes they are unreasonable.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by baka View Post
    ... for me RC6 should be placed in other basic or have its own section since its not part of VB6.
    RC6 is primarily a "free available COM-lib" (an ActiveX-Dll)... just another "Project-reference" you can check-in if needed.

We do these "reference-check-ins" in our daily work with MS-FlexGrid, MS-CommmonControls, DAO, ADO, WinHttp5.1, MS-XML 6.0, DirextX and Direct2D-typelibs...

If you want to move every discussion which involves any of the above "Helper-COM-libs" into "Other Basic",
    then the Main-VB6-Forum will contain basically no postings at all.

I sometimes wonder, whether we use the same Programming-language, baka.

VB6 is primarily a COM-lib "glueing-tool"...
    Remove COM and you can do basically nothing with VB6.

Olaf

It seems that the RADBasic news post was removed as it was reported by someone else on this forum, the moderator just moved it even though I asked him asked not to - and no it wasn't shaggy.

The mod. does not feel as if it is his job to be consistent and apply the same rules to every similar post. Hmmm. He feels that he does not need to do anything unless someone reports this post as well! So, it isn't the mod. that's being impartial it was the despicable chap who reported it.

So, I'll be reporting my own post to ensure it is removed to give equal treatment to the two news posts.

PowerPoster

I don't have a horse in this race, nor did I report any threads about either product.

That being said, the two products as of this moment in time are not equal or equivalent in status. One is able to be used, the other is not. The one that is not able to be used is also seeking donations. I'm not pointing that out because I think that is problematic, just that it is a difference.

Treating threads about the two products differently seems entirely reasonable at this point in time.

Well, I've reported it already so I for one will treat them equally. I want RADBasic to succeed in its promise to achieve 100% VB6 compatibility, if that's possible.

I like TwinBasic and its idea to be a BASIC for the future and I like the fact that Wayne is involved in it but it does worry me that support for some of the older graphic technologies will not be forthcoming, at least not immediately. It needs to be backwardly compatible with a lot in order to be a true VB6 replacement otherwise it is just another BASIC.

My GDI+ creation won't benefit from TwinBasic, that might not matter too much as I will be updating it at some point to D3D but it does mean TwinBasic is not currently my preferred option if both eventually deliver what they are currently promising.

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by yereverluvinuncleber View Post
    Well, I've reported it already
    I'm not sure that having this thread moved to 'Other Basic' counts as a win.

This thread would be better in the 'VB6 and earlier' forum where it is of interest to VB6 users, rather than hidden away where no one looks.

No, not a win but not looking for a win. Just want fair treatment and greater publicity for both.

Quote Originally Posted by yereverluvinuncleber View Post
    Well, I've reported it already so I for one will treat them equally. I want RADBasic to succeed in its promise to achieve 100% VB6 compatibility, if that's possible.

I like TwinBasic and its idea to be a BASIC for the future and I like the fact that Wayne is involved in it but it does worry me that support for some of the older graphic technologies will not be forthcoming, at least not immediately. It needs to be backwardly compatible with a lot in order to be a true VB6 replacement otherwise it is just another BASIC.

My GDI+ creation won't benefit from TwinBasic, that might not matter too much as I will be updating it at some point to D3D but it does mean TwinBasic is not currently my preferred option if both eventually deliver what they are currently promising.
    TwinBasic has the right recipe -- make a decent compiler, re-use popular IDE, let contributors port RC6, port/reimplement VB6 Forms, port/reimplement WPF from .Net (using D3D for GUI) and so on.

Try to make a better compiler (x64, multi-threading, generics, partial classes to drop binary resources in frx/ctx) and don't waste effort porting arcane VB6 Forms subsystem no one is willing to use anyway.

Work with Olaf on porting RC6 to polish compiler's rough edges and you have a compiler and a PoC it's actually working (in the face of RC6) *and* a modern cross-platform GUI system as large as a new runtime (there is no App object in TwinBasic now for instance).

cheers,
    </wqw>

The Idiot

yeah.
    Im not sure about the 100% back compatibility needs.
    what I want is the basic language that I enjoy working with. so I can start working immediately in twinbasic without the need to learn a new language.
    and that it will focus on stability and have its own graphic engine that will replace gdi completely to make it cross-platform compatible (cairo)
    if RC6, it need to be integrated with the IDE, so I dont need all the hassle to install it.

. . . so I dont need all the hassle to install it.
    Currently it's an ActiveX DLL with several companion standard DLLs but TB will probably be able to bundle these together if all of linker options are exposed (probably in advanced mode) so the distribution/registration can boil down to a single regsvr32.exe execution I suppose.

Another possibility which is long due and straight missing in VB6-land is a full-fledged packet manager but no one can be told how better that is. . . you have to see it for yourself :-))

cheers,
    </wqw>

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by wqweto View Post
    Currently it's an ActiveX DLL with several companion standard DLLs but TB will probably be able to bundle these together if all of linker options are exposed (probably in advanced mode) so the distribution/registration can boil down to a single regsvr32.exe execution I suppose.
    If it comes with the compiler itself (and then "sits there" in a wellknown location),
    then there's not even a registry-entry needed on the target-machine, to work with that COM-lib in the Code-Editor.

(that'd of course go for any COM-lib - in case it ships "officially" with the twinBasic-compiler -
    since Typelib-Infos can be retrieved directly from a given Dll-binary via LoadTypeLib-API).

The cConstructor "entry-instance" of the RC6 (the thingy I name 'New_c' in most of the Demos),
    is the only thing which the compiler would need to instantiate in a regfree manner (either via DirectCOM.dll or other means) -
    this way 'New_c' (or maybe even a shorter alias name like 'rc' for "runtime-classes") would be available as a "global constructor-symbol".

Olaf

yeah.
    Im not sure about the 100% back compatibility needs.
    what I want is the basic language that I enjoy working with. so I can start working immediately in twinbasic without the need to learn a new language.
    and that it will focus on stability and have its own graphic engine that will replace gdi completely to make it cross-platform compatible (cairo)
    if RC6, it need to be integrated with the IDE, so I dont need all the hassle to install it.
    I make your words, my words ... and I also wanted to leave microsoft ... I can't wait to see twinbasic out of Visual Studio code.

Addicted Member

I am so happy to see someone as knowledgeable as wqweto express optimism about Twinbasic. I don't know if Schmidt is optimistic or not (I'm pretty clueless about the more technical stuff) but he isn't being negative anyway I think.
    If I had something that would ensure the longterm viability of my vb code I'd be very willing to put hundreds of € per year into it.
    The one thing that would bother me is if it is closed source. I don't want to go out odf the frying pan and into the fire
    But then how do you ensure creators get paid for their efforts?

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by VB6 Programming View Post
    I'm not sure that having this thread moved to 'Other Basic' counts as a win.

This thread would be better in the 'VB6 and earlier' forum where it is of interest to VB6 users, rather than hidden away where no one looks.
    The forum Admins were incredibly negative, saying we only need VB6 and we don't allow any upgrades or replacements. In fact, if there are some free or very small cost of VB6 alternative products, the forum should give free support. If the product is paid for, charge half or less of the advertising fee.
    First of all, as long as the product is not VB6, it is not allowed to publish articles on the VB6 plate. Although their usage is almost 50-90% the same.

Quote Originally Posted by xiaoyao View Post
    The forum Admins were incredibly negative, saying we only need VB6 and we don't allow any upgrades or replacements.
    No one said they don't allow upgrades or replacements. All that was noted was that it because it wasn't VB specifically, it was being moved to the OTHER Basic forums. That's all.

Quote Originally Posted by xiaoyao View Post
    In fact, if there are some free or very small cost of VB6 alternative products, the forum should give free support. If the product is paid for, charge half or less of the advertising fee.
    I don't see why they should offer anythign for free or at a discount. VBForums is part of a business. They're not here out of some altruistic magnanimous desire to help. It's here because it's a vibrant active community, and there's a lot that can be made from it. Otherwise it would have been folded into one of the other sister sites ages ago. At least they're allowing the discussions of RadBasic and TwinBasic here... they could easily have been shuffled off to one of the other sites... then you would know true thread death.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    No one said they don't allow upgrades or replacements. All that was noted was that it because it wasn't VB specifically, it was being moved to the OTHER Basic forums. That's all.

I don't see why they should offer anythign for free or at a discount. VBForums is part of a business. They're not here out of some altruistic magnanimous desire to help. It's here because it's a vibrant active community, and there's a lot that can be made from it. Otherwise it would have been folded into one of the other sister sites ages ago. At least they're allowing the discussions of RadBasic and TwinBasic here... they could easily have been shuffled off to one of the other sites... then you would know true thread death.

-tg
    I'd never even though about who might own this site before your post, but it's there in the "About Us" link at the bottom of this page, a company called Technology Advice.
    I don't know how much it costs to keep this running but it would be a terrible blow if they ever decided it wasn't worth it any more.

Quote Originally Posted by vbrad View Post
    I'd never even though about who might own this site before your post, but it's there in the "About Us" link at the bottom of this page, a company called Technology Advice.
    I don't know how much it costs to keep this running but it would be a terrible blow if they ever decided it wasn't worth it any more.
    There are free Discussions tab available on every github repo. We'll make sure to setup something at the VBForumsCommunity org initially until a free host for Discourse (or vBulletin) is found.

The age of these forums software is surpassed only by our beloved VB6 so it won't be missed very much by our phone users I suppose. . .

cheers,
    </wqw>

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by wqweto View Post
    There are free Discussions tab available on every github repo. We'll make sure to setup something at the VBForumsCommunity org initially until a free host for Discourse (or vBulletin) is found.

The age of these forums software is surpassed only by our beloved VB6 so it won't be missed very much by our phone users I suppose. . .

cheers,
    </wqw>
    Great! I'm bookmarking that link, thanks!