Thread: Access the excel statusbar

Access the excel statusbar

Hi,

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum and if it is would appreciate a mod moving it. Thanks.

Longish post warning!!

This is a multipart sort of question from a newbie to vbforums. I've been using VBA for some time now and am comfortable with using APIs. Possibly not series of them where they may need to be called in sequence and so on but anyroad....

My original question then. Using the statusbar as a progress bar is a well known, documented, and accepted method of displaying.. well.. progress.
    I'm unhappy with the way when posting messages via Application.StatusBar, a proportional font is used. It quite often makes reading the progress not such an easy thing to do because the length of text changes so much.

So I started out to change the font of the excel statusbar to a non proportional one. Easy you say. Piece of cake you say. I'd suggest trying it. I've come to the opinion that the excel application.statusbar is an extra window built on top of the actual statusbar. Also that it seems different to most other application statusbars. I could actually add a statusbar object and use that but I can't get it to cover the real statusbar like application.statusbar does.

This will I'm sure involve the API hence my posting here.

Now then.. During my research on this and coming upon this site I thought it would be useful to use VB and visual studio instead of VBA. I duly downloaded VS 19, the latest I could find free, downloaded a VBP from vbforums - howto_get_listbox_choices , opened it and tried to run it. HOW DO I DO THAT PLEASE!!??

I feel I'm missing something fundamental and have noooo idea what it is! If someone has a link to explain it all I would be very grateful.

Many thanks In Advance
    Lisa

Re: Access the excel statusbar

Hi jdc,

Weeeelllll.. not really. They both sort of depend on "padding" out the string to a certain length which isn't what I was looking for. There are multiple posts on the net about doing this and it's really messy deciding which proportional characters to fill out the padding with. You can't just change the font at all. The closest I've come so far is to use a text box on a not visible form. The text box wll expand with the text you put in it. When it's a specific length you can use that text in the statusbar. It's not a very satisfactory solution. I was looking to alter the font in the statusbar. A side effect is that if I can alter the font I can alter the colour as well which is a bonus to make it more noticeable. In any case I'm hooked now! I want to know why I can't change the font!!!

Lisa

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by lisagreen View Post
    Now then.. During my research on this and coming upon this site I thought it would be useful to use VB and visual studio instead of VBA. I duly downloaded VS 19, the latest I could find free, downloaded a VBP from vbforums - howto_get_listbox_choices , opened it and tried to run it. HOW DO I DO THAT PLEASE!!??
    The last version of VB (6.0) was released in 1998. It was never free, though there was a stripped down "Learning Edition" that was bundled with some books and in-person courses back in the day.

This was killed in its crib in favor of The Great Pretender VB.Net which is totally unrelated but sort of looks like VB in many ways. Not that much though really, which is why at the time people suggested it be called Visual Fred in order to reduce confusion. This has undergone rapid churn over the years, which helped further dilute the brand.

That's all in the past now and there is no going back. Even VB.Net faces ongoing uncertainty regarding its "supported" status. During months with no "R" in the name it seems to be supported and in the others not so much.

The only version of Visual Studio that included Visual Basic and is viable today is still Visual Studio 6.0 from 1998. A few people still try to skid by using the stopgap release of VB 5.0 from 1997 because it was all they could find at the Salvation Army thrift shop. VS/VB 6.0 is very hard to come by at this late date.

VB.Net is its own thing... or series of things. Use it if you like, but it is of limited value when it comes to opening a VB6 project.