Thread: [RESOLVED] PerformClick a button in TabControl ???

Hyperactive Member pourkascheff's Avatar

Resolved [RESOLVED] PerformClick a button in TabControl ???

Hi all! \O
    I recently realized that when I link a button to a StripMenu button with following code:
    Code:
        Private Sub ShutdownToolStripMenuItem_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles ShutdownToolStripMenuItem.Click
            Shutdown_btn.PerformClick()
        End Sub

Private Sub Shutdown_btn_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Shutdown_btn.Click
            End
        End Sub
    Shortcut set on stripmenu button (example= Alt + F4) performs exact the same expected action.

But when you relocate the mentioned button in a TabControl you should open the corresponded tab and press shortcut buttons otherwise nothing happens. Seems shortcut will be bypassed.

Is there any tabcontrol property to set to "true" to get global shortcut sensitivity ???

Re: PerformClick a button in TabControl ???

First, the control is a MenuStrip, not a StripMenu.

Secondly, don't use End for anything. If you want to exit a WinForms application then call Application.Exit.

As for your issue, it's not what you think. What's actually happening is that a TabControl is optimised such that controls on TabPages don't get created unless that TabPage is selected. That way, creating a form with lots of controls on it is still quite quick. The solution to the problem is to not put the functionality you want executed in the Click event handler of the Button. Put it in its own method and then call that method from both event handlers. That way, the menu item has no reliance on the Button having been created.

Hyperactive Member pourkascheff's Avatar

Whatever...

"End" command was an example.

No idea what are you talking about. I'd rather select its tabindex, perform what I need then return back to normal cause btn.performclick doesn't work in middle of the code neither. Shortcut was also an example dooshy

He didn't mean use PerformClick at all. He said use a sub or function in your form code, that would be called from both your ShutdownToolStripMenuItem_Click and your Shutdown_btn_Click handlers