Thread: What is next after doing PHP basic

Addicted Member

What is next after doing PHP basic

Hi Everyone.

I've started PHP development. I'm following a youtube playlist of PHP (with required HTML where needed) and PHP + MySQL.

I've followed most of those tutorials after which I've fundamental understanding of how PHP is working. Basics of PHP, conditional statements
    Loops
    Functions
    Arrays
    CRUD queries with MySQL all by using XAMPP.

Question:
    What is next now?
    What I need to go ahead? There is a lot in that Youtube Channel. But as a new learner of PHP its an ocean of programming in web development side.

My only point is that do I need to practice something or keep learning and learning and learning........
    And if learning so where do I move ahead?

Thank you.

Re: What is next after doing PHP basic

Like everything else in this industry... "It depends" ....

gads I'm getting tired ofs aying that... but it's true. It depends on what you want to do next. I've no clue what's in "PHP Basic" ... so maybe the next step is "PHP Advanced"? Maybe it's Javascript? Or React. Or Neither. Or something else. Or SQL. Or.... shrug, I don't know. You haven't given any indication on what your goals are, what is it you're trying to achieve, so it's difficult to say "take this path" ... heck, even if you did know, there's still probably more than one path to get there, so again... *shrug*.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

I would suggest learning how to build a RESTful web API.

Most of my experience with PHP has been to act as a medium between the client-side and the database.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

Addicted Member

Many years back, when I opted for vb.net and not web development, so I had a reason in mind that web development does not require only PHP, but you have to work with so many tools to complete 1 website. HTML, CSS, JS, Jquery, mySQL, Ajax, etc etc etc.

After so many years I'm joining the PHP again and finding the same problem as I had years ago.

So I started with PHP basics i.e. called Core PHP. After completing that I worked upon mySQL and I got little practice as well. After that I found that CSS is mandatory for designing. When I started work on CSS and grab most of it from tutorials. Then I found that CSS is gone, there Bootstrap in the market and much more easier. When I put my hands on Bootstrap, so it was little difficult for me. Then a web developer friend of mine told me that you have gone through PHP so get your hands on Laravel or some other framework. I preferred Laravel. He said that Bootstrap is basically designing, so it will give you hard time. When I started Laravel, so its lot more confusing. As its all in PHP OOP.

So I diverted my drive towards the OOP PHP.
    Now I am looking at 3 different PHP OOP tutorials and all of them said at the beginning that Laravel, and OOP PHP is required only when your website is much bigger and its difficult to handle the code (Core PHP).

So, there are so many things to cover and keep them in your pocket to carry on.

That's why I am thinking that when I finish my basics of PHP, so where do I need to go ahead?
    Or I should stick with Core PHP and go deeper into it instead of moving towards PHP OOP?

Guidance please. Thank you

*shrug* I don't know. I don't know what it is you want to do. From where I am, there's no need for PHP developers. Maybe there is where you are. I don't use PHP where I'm at. I could if I needed to. I have in the past. It's something I could easily pick up again if I need to. You're asking a bunch of VB developers what your PHP career path should be. That doesn't sound like a good thing to do, especially when it sounds like you don't even know what it is you want to do and are just picking things up as you go along. Personally, you should first decide what your end goal is, and then start working towards that. Look at the requirements of your ideal job. That should be your end game.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

If you don't know the basics of web development, like HTML5 or CSS, then I wouldn't have even bothered with PHP.

Even though there are CSS frameworks out there like Bootstrap, you should still take the time to learn CSS because it will help you when you go to leverage a framework. But you are right in that there is so much to web development, usually on the front-end you'll have HTML, CSS, and some flavor of JavaScript, then on the back-end you'll have either PHP, MVC, or something else along with some database.

Personally I use C# MVC for my job and PHP for my contract jobs. But I do not use Laravel when I do my PHP development, but it is strictly personal reasons (Laravel community feels a lot like the VB6 community, i.e. cultish).

If you need career advise, I will give you a very libertarian answer: follow the market. If someone values your specific PHP skill over the money they have on hand, then they'll take you. If I were you, I would be doing market research in (or around) your area.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

Addicted Member

@tg
    From where I am, there's no need for PHP developers. Maybe there is where you are. I don't use PHP where I'm at.
    Why not?
    The place you live in, what companies are using to develop or maintain their websites? Or even lets just say, what this vbforums is using to maintain this website?

I asked the question here because I've learned so much in vb.net from this forum. So there is a PHP section so that's why I asked here the PHP relevant question.

@dday, @tg
    What you suggest that if I go along only to development side e.g. php, mySQL or LAravel etc and not on designing site like Bootstrap and CSS or javascript etc.