Thread: Can I lock a collection in a multi thread application

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Can I lock a collection in a multi thread application

I've inherited a multi threaded application. My multi threading knowledge is pretty woeful I'm afraid.

In a nutshell, the user can start and abort a fairly lengthy process. They can then restart that process, possibly abort it again and so on. The first thing that happens when they start is that a collection of items to process is populated based on selection the user has made. Let's call this thread the processing thread and the collection the toDoList.

There is a separate thread that is responsible for updating the UI with the status of the items in the toDoList. This is triggered by a timer tick and it iterates over toDoList using a For loop. Let's call this thread the display thread

The problem is that it's possible for a user to abort and restart the process while the display thread is part way through iterating over the toDoList. When this happens the processing thread clears and repopulates the toDoList which, in turn, causes the display thread to crash because it's iterating over a collection that's being amended (Collection was modified; enumeration operation may not execute.)

The obvious solution that jump to mind is that I want to somehow lock the collection before it's used in either thread. By way of a metaphor, the UI thread would want a shared (read) lock and the processing thread would want an exclusive (write) lock.

I've been googling and can find all sorts of ways of locking a section of code so that only one thread can enter it at a time but that's no good to me because the code paths are completely separate and unrelated, they just both access the same resource.

Any suggestions?
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Re: Can I lock a collection in a multi thread application

<sigh> isn't that always the way? I spent a couple of hours going up the wrong paths yesterday before I posted here and this morning my first google search after posting turned up what looks to be the right answer. The locks will always be exclusive but I don't think that'll be a problem.

I haven't implemented and tested it yet but will pop back and resolve the thread if it all works.

Edit>Yep, it all seems to be working. It's hard to say for certain because it's hard to test a timing collision but several runs haven't thrown up the error so I think I'm good. The syntax is slightly different from my link (which was C#) and in VB it's just SynchLock.

I do have one concern that I'd like peoples thoughts on. I originally wanted to read the collection in a shared lock so that multiple reads wouldn't "queue up" and create a snowball effect. I.e. the timer tick that updated the UI is currently set to 4 secs. If the toDoList was really big and it tool more than 4 secs to iterate it, is there a risk that this will create a bottleneck as multiple reads queue up behind each other?
    Last edited by FunkyDexter; Mar 4th, 2021 at 05:11 AM.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

I think that if you describe correctly your problem in the forum or anywhere else or to anyone that's make you take a step back and help you to find more easily the solution.
    The best friend of any programmer is a search engine
    "Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better. Don't wish for less problems, wish for more skills. Don't wish for less challenges, wish for more wisdom" (J. Rohn)
    “They did not know it was impossible so they did it” (Mark Twain)

Lively Member

Maybe have a look at BlockingCollection class?

I would be inclined to make a copy of the list for use in the display thread, but that assumes that iterating over that thread takes some noticeable amount of time. If that condition was met, then the list could be wrapped in a class that allowed controlled access to the list. For example, the class could have methods for Clear, GetCopy, and GetItem. The first two would try to lock on the list (or some other object, but the list should be a fine object to lock on), and would only perform any actions if it got the lock (synclock). The GetCopy would return a deep copy of the list, especially since it sounds like just a List(of String). That would be a quick method, at which point the display thread can go ahead and do what it wants because it is no longer working with the actual list. The Clear method would also need to lock on the object such that it isn't called when the GetCopy is called. GetItem probably doesn't need to be locked for a variety of reasons.

However, that might be what you are already doing.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Fanatic Member

I would be inclined to make a copy of the list for use in the display thread
    I thought about that but I wasn't sure whether the overhead of taking the deep copy would be much less than using it directly. The operation the UI actually carries out on it are pretty minimal and testing in my limited development environment wasn't showing any significant slow down. For now I've submitted it for testing with an instruction to performance test it. If blocking looks like being an issue I'm going to try the copy as you suggest.

Thread-Safe Collections
    Just having a read now. Thanks for the link.

The issue I have with thread safe collections, and the like, is that I'm not sure that it applies. Thread safety should be about adding, deleting, and so on, from the collection. That's not really the issue here, as I understand it. It seems like the issue is that you do this (or some variation on this):
    Code:
    'If using a thread safe list:
    For x = 0 to list.Count 'The count is evaluated ONLY here. That would be thread safe.
     list(x) 'Get one item from the list, which is also thread safe.
    Next 'This has nothing to do with the list, and can't be thread safe.
    The idea is that VB will evaluate the number of iterations right off, which will be N. Accessing elements from the list by the display thread can be done in a totally thread safe manner, but N is still N. If the other thread clears the list, that clearing will be done in a totally thread safe manner, and N will STILL be N, but N needs to be 0 (and the loop exit), because the list.count has now changed. In other words, the list itself is thread safe, but the loop that accesses the list doesn't know anything about that, it just keeps on going until N is reached, even though N is no longer the loop.count.

If that's the case, the obvious way to test would be to greatly exaggerate the loop. Add something like a Sleep(1000) before accessing the list element. That would give the thread a good long time for the list to be cleared before accessing an element that is no longer valid, which should make failures far more likely.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    The issue I have with thread safe collections, and the like, is that I'm not sure that it applies. Thread safety should be about adding, deleting, and so on, from the collection. That's not really the issue here, as I understand it. It seems like the issue is that you do this (or some variation on this):
    Code:
    'If using a thread safe list:
    For x = 0 to list.Count 'The count is evaluated ONLY here. That would be thread safe.
     list(x) 'Get one item from the list, which is also thread safe.
    Next 'This has nothing to do with the list, and can't be thread safe.
    The idea is that VB will evaluate the number of iterations right off, which will be N. Accessing elements from the list by the display thread can be done in a totally thread safe manner, but N is still N. If the other thread clears the list, that clearing will be done in a totally thread safe manner, and N will STILL be N, but N needs to be 0 (and the loop exit), because the list.count has now changed. In other words, the list itself is thread safe, but the loop that accesses the list doesn't know anything about that, it just keeps on going until N is reached, even though N is no longer the loop.count.

If that's the case, the obvious way to test would be to greatly exaggerate the loop. Add something like a Sleep(1000) before accessing the list element. That would give the thread a good long time for the list to be cleared before accessing an element that is no longer valid, which should make failures far more likely.
    Also part of the problem is this, "The problem is that it's possible for a user to abort and restart the process while the display thread is part way through iterating over the toDoList. When this happens the processing thread clears and repopulates the toDoList ..."

I don't think that thread safe collections will help with that.
    My First Computer -- Documentation Link (RT?M) -- Using the Debugger -- Prime Number Sieve
    Counting Bits -- Subnet Calculator -- UI Guidelines -- >> SerialPort Answer <<

"Those who use Application.DoEvents have no idea what it does and those who know what it does never use it." John Wein

Hmmmmmm.....

This little experiment shows that List fails, but surprisingly BlockingCollection doesn't(didn't during my limited test runs).

Code:
    Public Class Form1

Private procTask As task
        Private dispTask As task

Private Sub Form1_Shown(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Me.Shown
            LoadToDo()
            procTask = Task.Run(Sub() Proc())
            dispTask = Task.Run(Sub() Disp())
        End Sub

Private Sub Form1_FormClosing(sender As Object, e As FormClosingEventArgs) Handles Me.FormClosing
            _disp.Set()
            dispTask.Wait()
            _proc.Set()
            procTask.Wait()
        End Sub

#Const Test = False 'True for List, False for BlockingCollection

#If Test Then
        Private ToDo As New List(Of String)
    #Else
        Private ToDo As New Concurrent.BlockingCollection(Of String)
    #End If

Private Sub LoadToDo()
            'clear ToDo
    #If Test Then
            todo.Clear()
    #Else
            If ToDo.Any Then
                For Each s As String In ToDo.GetConsumingEnumerable
                    If Not ToDo.Any Then Exit For
                Next
            End If
    #End If
            For x As Integer = 1 To prng.Next(9, 21)
                ToDo.Add(x.ToString)
            Next
        End Sub

Private Shared prng As New Random
        Private _proc As New Threading.ManualResetEvent(False)
        Private Sub Proc()
            Do
                For Each s As String In ToDo
                    If prng.Next(1, 31) = 10 Then
                        LoadToDo()
                        Exit For
                    End If
                Next
            Loop While Not _proc.WaitOne(100)
        End Sub

Private _disp As New Threading.ManualResetEvent(False)
        Private Sub Disp()
            Do
                Me.Invoke(Sub()
                              RichTextBox1.Clear()
                              RichTextBox1.Refresh()
                              For Each s As String In ToDo
                                  Threading.Thread.Sleep(10)
                                  RichTextBox1.AppendText(s)
                                  RichTextBox1.AppendText(ControlChars.Cr)
                                  If _disp.WaitOne(0) Then Exit For
                              Next
                          End Sub)
            Loop While Not _disp.WaitOne(500)
        End Sub
    End Class
    My First Computer -- Documentation Link (RT?M) -- Using the Debugger -- Prime Number Sieve
    Counting Bits -- Subnet Calculator -- UI Guidelines -- >> SerialPort Answer <<

"Those who use Application.DoEvents have no idea what it does and those who know what it does never use it." John Wein

Yeah, list won't work for the reasons identified. It might make a single addition safe but I need the entire collection to be safe. BlockingCollection is interesting though. Thanks for the suggestion.

Fanatic Member

These thread-safe collections are what .NET Framework provides. There are other external libraries (some can be found on NuGet) which may provide some features that are closer to your requirements. But anything external is just another dependency to think of in the future: is it supported and bugfixed; will it work with .NET Core/.NET 5+; what about backward compatibility of latest versions (e.g. to use with .NET 4.5 on some old machines)...

You can do it by using language features like locks: SyncLock in VB.NET and lock in C#

There are many features and libraries that help multi-threading apps so developers can use what is most suitable for the specific problem.

Yeah. I've gone with a synchlock for now. I'm little concerned over potential performance implication but it seems to be ok so far. I've told the test department to do some big runs on it to make sure.