Thread: How can I create an executable app within an app

How can I create an executable app within an app

I'm not even sure where to start, and I've searched all over but cannot find anything regarding this.

I can easily create a .bat file but I would like to create a exe file with attributes that someone can change with the press of a button. Any and all help regarding this will be appreciated.

Re: How can I create an executable app within an app

Start here:

https://www.bing.com/search?q=.net+codedom

A lot of relevant information will likely relate to C# but everything will be the same or similar for VB.

I'm inclined to say that if you explained what your ultimate goal was, I'd discourage you from trying. There are narrow domains where this approach works well, but there are even more idealistic domains where my experiences have not been positive. I have worked with a series of generators, which are applications that allow a person to create a program without writing code. These tend to be well intentioned, and occasionally truly impressive, but they all have some significant drawbacks, in my experience.

I'd say that if you have in mind an exe that can be modified to serve a narrow range of purposes, then go for it, but if you find yourself expanding your goals to where the exe will be able to change very greatly to meet a wide range of targets, then you may want to reconsider. That's a hole with no bottom, from which there may be no way out, either.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    I'm inclined to say that if you explained what your ultimate goal was, I'd discourage you from trying. There are narrow domains where this approach works well, but there are even more idealistic domains where my experiences have not been positive. I have worked with a series of generators, which are applications that allow a person to create a program without writing code. These tend to be well intentioned, and occasionally truly impressive, but they all have some significant drawbacks, in my experience.

I'd say that if you have in mind an exe that can be modified to serve a narrow range of purposes, then go for it, but if you find yourself expanding your goals to where the exe will be able to change very greatly to meet a wide range of targets, then you may want to reconsider. That's a hole with no bottom, from which there may be no way out, either.
    Are you implying that I am trying to create something malicious? would never... I'm trying to create an IRC chat where the server owner can create an executable that is unique to the server. I want to make it so the server owner can create different classes for each client that is created like (admin, moderator, and chatter) It'll take a long time to create something like this because I'm fairly new to coding. I thought I'd figure out how to get basic functions down like building an exe first and then go from there

No not implying that at all. I was suggesting that you might be trying to create a generator, and my experience with those has been that they are more trouble than they are worth.

However, with that description, I would suggest you look into plugin systems, as it might suit your needs pretty well.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing