Thread: Visual Studio 2017 How to create a individual setup grouping 3 applications .net

Visual Studio 2017 How to create a individual setup grouping 3 applications .net

Hello,

How is it possible to create only one setup.exe file which regroups 3 applications vbnet?

I know how to do this for a separate application, via publish.

Here I have an application AppA which starts an application AppB which starts an application AppC. They are all Windows applications forms.

I tried to group these 3 applications into a solution, but I can't see where I can create an setup.exe for a solution.

Any idea? Do I have to use an external software? Which one?

Thanks

Pierre

Re: Visual Studio 2017 How to create a individual setup grouping 3 applications .net

ClickOnce is the only deployment technology built into VS by default these days. You used to be able create a Windows Installer Setup project but that was removed some time ago, in favour of a partnership with Installshield. That didn't really go as well as planned, so Microsoft has now recreated the ability to create Setup projects, but it is not included in VS by default. You have to add it via an extension. The web page for the extension is here but you can add it directly from the Manage Extensions dialogue in VS. You can search for the full name of Microsoft Visual Studio Installer Projects but it will be listed even if you just search for "setup".

I've not really used it in anger but, if I'm not mistaken, you can add the output from as many projects in the same solution as you like. You may already be aware but you don't actually have to create the projects in the same solution if you don't want to. You can create a project in its own solution and then add it as an existing project to another solution. The second solution will reference the project in its existing location so, as long as you don't move it, both solutions will find that project without issue.

Re: Visual Studio 2017 How to create a individual setup grouping 3 applications .net

By the way, this is a deployment issue, not a VB issue, so I have asked the mods to move this thread to Application Deployment. Please post in the most appropriate forum for the subject of the thread.

Sorry for the wrong forum. I didn't see this specific forum for Application Deployment. Thanks for the move.
    And I will carefully read your answer and work on that.
    Cheers
    Pierre