Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: What skills are needed for IoT?

  1. #1

    Thread Starter
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    25

    What skills are needed for IoT?

    What skills are needed for IoT?

  2. #2
    PowerPoster
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    22,976

    Re: What skills are needed for IoT?

    What do you want to do?

    Normally to accomplish much here you need at least some fundamental electronics background. You can play around with breadboards but you need soldering skills to do anything "real." Not to mention working with some form of circuit boards even if just playing around using bare perfboard.

    The programming skill required seems to be pretty thin for basic stuff. These days most of it is done using script interpreters for Python dialects or code generators like Arduino.

    Patience is always a virtue.

  3. #3
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    8

    Re: What skills are needed for IoT?

    What skills are needed for IoT

    Machine Learning
    AutoCAD
    Node.
    Security infrastructure
    Security engineering
    Big Data
    GPS Development

  4. #4
    Frenzied Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Central Europe
    Posts
    1,338

    Re: What skills are needed for IoT?

    Quote Originally Posted by johnsinha View Post
    What skills are needed for IoT

    Machine Learning
    AutoCAD
    Node.
    Security infrastructure
    Security engineering
    Big Data
    GPS Development
    sorry, but that list is not correct and misleading.
    you need some electronics background as dilettante mentioned.
    not sure why autocad is mentioned but a tool for boardlayout may be handsome. you will certainly get in touch with C language for embedded development. once you add network support to your device, security topics should be considered. but "machine learning", "big data" and "gps" are just buzzwords in that context

  5. #5
    Frenzied Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Central Europe
    Posts
    1,338

    Re: What skills are needed for IoT?

    one more skill not yet mentioned: you need to be able to read and understand datasheets like e.g. this one: Atmel-7810-Automotive-Microcontrollers-ATmega328P_Datasheet.pdf i.e. have the understanding of computing basics like I/O, Interrupts, Memory Addressing aso

  6. #6
    Frenzied Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Norfolk UK (inbred)
    Posts
    1,255

    Re: What skills are needed for IoT?

    You need a solder gun and a hammer/chisel to cut the hole.

  7. #7

    Re: What skills are needed for IoT?

    Top IoT skills to master:

    Machine learning and Artificial Intelligence.
    JavaScript and Python.
    Knowledge about how sensors work.
    UI-centric Approach.
    Node.js Development.
    Big Data.
    GPS systems.
    Cloud Computing.

  8. #8
    Smooth Moperator techgnome's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    33,533

    Re: What skills are needed for IoT?

    Quote Originally Posted by johnsinha View Post
    What skills are needed for IoT

    Machine Learning
    AutoCAD
    Node.
    Security infrastructure
    Security engineering
    Big Data
    GPS Development
    What?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hemanath View Post
    Top IoT skills to master:

    Machine learning and Artificial Intelligence.
    JavaScript and Python.
    Knowledge about how sensors work.
    UI-centric Approach.
    Node.js Development.
    Big Data.
    GPS systems.
    Cloud Computing.
    What? No... Again... no...

    Because:
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalShaman View Post
    sorry, but that list is not correct and misleading.
    you need some electronics background as dilettante mentioned.
    not sure why autocad is mentioned but a tool for boardlayout may be handsome. you will certainly get in touch with C language for embedded development. once you add network support to your device, security topics should be considered. but "machine learning", "big data" and "gps" are just buzzwords in that context
    -tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

  9. #9
    PowerPoster
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    22,976

    Re: What skills are needed for IoT?

    It sound more like a job listing for a position at the exploiter end of IoT.

  10. #10
    Frenzied Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Norfolk UK (inbred)
    Posts
    1,255

    Re: What skills are needed for IoT?

    Hot glue gun is also useful.

  11. #11
    Frenzied Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Norfolk UK (inbred)
    Posts
    1,255

    Re: What skills are needed for IoT?

    ... and a certificate from the Elders of the Internet to allow you to start cutting bits of the internet and putting them into things.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Click Here to Expand Forum to Full Width