Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CDO.Message Problem

CDO.Message Problem

I just tired running an old VB6 program that uses CDO.Message to send emails. The last time it ran was a few years back and I believe everything worked if I’m remembering correctly, but when using it today emails weren't delivered.

The code is all pretty straightforward, create the object, fill in some fields and then send the request. However there is something I can’t figure out which has to do with how the fields are referenced / indexed using URL’s.

Fields("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpserver") = "smtp.gmail.com"

I don’t understand why its done like this but since things aren’t working I went ahead and tried coping some of the URL's into my browser and got this message:

“The resource you are looking for has been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.”

I don’t know this is a problem or not because I don’t understand how or why ‘Fields’ are being referenced like this. Is there another way of assigning the required fields other then using URLs?

Thanks

PowerPoster

Re: CDO.Message Problem

That's not an actual URL, just a strong name for the collection item. I'm not sure why you wouldn't use the predefined constant for it in the first place, but that would not change anything. This is not your problem anyway.

More likely GMail has changed its SMTP access since you used this last.

I didn’t use the constants in the CDO type library because I didn’t and still don’t understand how or why these things resemble URL’s. Can’t quite wrap my head around how what appears to be some sort of an ‘index’ into a Field structure is actually a string.

Way back when I put this code together I had taken it directly from an example found from a Google search which used the strings values. Today when learning things weren’t working I checked into using the defined constants from the Type Library hoping they’d fix the problem. I believed that I’d find constants defined as some integer value but only found that they were the exact same strings I was already using.

The defined constant for the string in the code below is cdoSMTPAuthenticate:

.Item("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpauthenticate") = 1

And it’s defined as:

cdoSMTPAuthenticate = "http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpauthenticate"

Then when Googling the URL string I found this on Microsoft’s web-site:

“This content is no longer actively maintained. It is provided as is, for anyone who may still be using these technologies, with no warranties or claims of accuracy with regard to the most recent product version or service release.”

So again not knowing what I’m doing an assuming I had working code, or at least code I believed used to work I was hesitant in wanting to change anything till I learned more.

And as for the possibility of Gmail changing there SMTP service, well I thought of that as well so I tried several other mail providers and was unable to get any of them to work.

Is there any other solutions for sending emails with VB6 or perhaps a known email provider supporting SMTP where this code would work?

Thanks.
    Last edited by JTaylor; Feb 19th, 2021 at 12:21 AM.

Last edited by Zvoni; Tomorrow at 31:69 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One System to rule them all, One Code to find them,
    One IDE to bring them all, and to the Framework bind them,
    in the Land of Redmond, where the Windows lie
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    People call me crazy because i'm jumping out of perfectly fine airplanes.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Code is like a joke: If you have to explain it, it's bad

Hey Zvoni thanks for the post

I grabbed the code and gave it a try and there’s a difference in how my version and the one from VBForums work.

Stepping through my version things just sail right on through without generating any errors behaving as if it sent the email yet nothings delivered.

When stepping through the VBForums version the code pauses for a while on the send function and then returns this error;

-2147220973 “The transport failed to connect to the server.”

While this is just a stab in the dark, I’d say the VBForums version is getting much further along then my own. It would seem as if its actually trying to connect to the Gmail server during the send function which I’m assuming is what’s causing the delay preventing it from returning immediately.

I know that when sending emails with Outlook and using invalid credentials it takes a little while before an error response is returned and it comes with an explanation for why it failed. I’m assuming this delay is a result from the system either attempting multiple connections due to the failure or just the normal timeout period expiring, either way the delay seems to indicate things are at least trying to work.

And while the VBForums version does return an error message, its rather generic lacking any reason or details for the failure. Is there anyway of getting more detailed information from the server similar to Outlook in order to help narrow down the reason for the rejected connection?

If Outlook is able to gather this information is means that it's being sent by Gmail, so there should be a way of getting it.

Thanks.
    Last edited by JTaylor; Feb 19th, 2021 at 04:05 AM.

PowerPoster

you do not provide enough information to readily provide a solution

the issue may not be the age of the code or any external changes to smtp, but a change of operating system, which you do not specify
    windows 10 has made 2 (at least) changes that affect cdo. one is security, the second is not using an existing smtp setup from outlook express or other mapi email client that were used by default in XP
    you must now provide full information of the stmp sever, port and login information

if you provide the full cdo.message code you use, it may readily indicate the problem
    i do my best to test code works before i post it, but sometimes am unable to do so for some reason, and usually say so if this is the case.
    Note code snippets posted are just that and do not include error handling that is required in real world applications, but avoid On Error Resume Next

dim all variables as required as often i have done so elsewhere in my code but only posted the relevant part

come back and mark your original post as resolved if your problem is fixed
    pete

It could even be SSL-Stuff (different ports)
    Last edited by Zvoni; Tomorrow at 31:69 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One System to rule them all, One Code to find them,
    One IDE to bring them all, and to the Framework bind them,
    in the Land of Redmond, where the Windows lie
    People call me crazy because i'm jumping out of perfectly fine airplanes.
    Code is like a joke: If you have to explain it, it's bad

I'm now using the code from VBForums pointed out to me by Zvoni as it appears to work better then my original version. When I intentionally mess with the code by turning off SSL support, I receive and error message stating as much. When I try the same thing with my original code I get no error message at all.

Code:
    On Error GoTo hell

temp = formEmailSetup.MousePointer
        formEmailSetup.MousePointer = vbHourglass
        'check validity of info
        If txtServer = "smtp.example.com" Or txtUserName = "example@example.com" Or txtDisplayName = "Your Name Here" Then
            MsgBox "Enter your information into all boxes."
            Exit Sub
        End If
        If VBA.Trim(txtServer) = "" Or VBA.Trim(txtUserName) = "" Or txtDisplayName = "" Or txtPort = "" Then
            MsgBox "All boxes must have a value."
            Exit Sub
        End If
        'setup for email
        Set objemail = CreateObject("CDO.Message")
        objemail.From = txtDisplayName & "<" & txtUserName & ">"
        objemail.To = txtUserName
        objemail.Subject = "Test mail"
        objemail.TextBody = "Your ability to EMail customers is ready to go!" & vbNewLine & emailSig & vbNewLine & vbNewLine & "------------------------------------" & vbNewLine & "This message was generated automatically from XXX"

objemail.Configuration.Fields.Item _
        ("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/sendusing") = 2

'Name or IP of Remote SMTP Server
        ("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpserver") = txtServer

'Type of authentication, NONE, Basic (Base64 encoded), NTLM
        If chkAuthentication.Value = 1 Then
            ("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpauthenticate") = cdoBasic
        Else
            ("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpauthenticate") = cdoAnonymous
        End If
        'Your UserID on the SMTP server
        ("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/sendusername") = txtUserName
        'Your password on the SMTP server
        ("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/sendpassword") = txtPassword

'Server port (typically 25)
        ("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpserverport") = txtPort

'Use SSL for the connection (False or True)
        If chkSSL.Value = 1 Then
                ("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpusessl") = True
        Else
                ("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpusessl") = False
        End If

'Connection Timeout in seconds (the maximum time CDO will try to establish a connection to the SMTP server)
        ("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpconnectiontimeout") = 60

objemail.Configuration.Fields.update

'==End remote SMTP server configuration section==

objemail.Send
        formEmailSetup.MousePointer = temp
        If licensed = "yes" Then
            MsgBox "Mail successfully sent to: " & txtUserName
        Else
            MsgBox "Mail successfully sent to: " & txtUserName 
        End If
        Exit Sub
    hell:
        formEmailSetup.MousePointer = temp
        If Err.Number = -2147220973 Then
            MsgBox "The server could not make the connection to your email account. Please check the information and try again"
        ElseIf Err.Number = -2147220978 Then
            MsgBox "The Email server has responded with an error: " & Err.Description & "Your message will not be sent, and your email is not properly set up. Please contact your email provider for assistance."
        Else
            MsgBox "An internal error has occured. Code:4003-" & Err.Number & " " & Err.Description
        End If
    So as I’ve been looking into this email problem a bit deeper I found a old tutorial on how to connect to Gmail through Telnet. I followed the instructions step by step and ran into a problem.

Telnet> Open smtp.gmail.com 587

Gmail response:
    220 smtp.gmail.com ESMTP m5sm6914500qkf.55 – gsmtp

I type: ‘EHLO smtp.gmail.com’

Gmail answered:
    250-smtp.gmail.com at your service. [23.105.163.103]
    250-SIZE 35882577
    250-8BITMIME
    250-STARTTLS
    250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
    250-PIPELINING
    250-CHINKING
    250 SMTPUTF8

At this point, per the instructions, I need to ask to login and enter: ‘Auth Login’

Gmail response:
    520 5.7.8 Must issue a STARTTLS command first. m5sm6914500qkf.55 – gsmtp

Don’t know if this is what’s causing the problem but it looks as if there’s a missing step in the instruction I was following which looks to be required for TLS. There no mention of TLS anywhere in the tutorial and I couldn’t make a connection, and perhaps the same is happening with the cdosys.dll – who knows at this point.

I tried looking into how I might be able to issue the STARTTLS command being requested by Gmail but couldn’t find any more information about it and was never able to enter the ‘Auth Login’ command and well that kept me from making a connection.

I did get back into the cdosys documentation and found a setting for TLS that was not in my original email code or the VBForums version:

"http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/sendtls"

I added it to the VB code setting its value to ‘True’ but didn’t seem to make any difference – I’m stumped!

Edit:

westconn1, I'm actually using the same machine from when this all worked, an old PC running Windows XP SP3. It's the same in every way as it was many years ago.

I also tried running the code on my Windows 10 computer without any success.
    Last edited by JTaylor; Feb 19th, 2021 at 02:58 PM.

PowerPoster

i was using cdo from xp sp3 until recently, when i upgraded the last of the computers here, too many issues with xp to continue
    i had modified the code for the program to run on windows 10

have you gone to gmail and changed the security setting to allow unknown programs to connect?
    at some point, several years ago, gmail changed the security to restrict access, there will be several threads here on this

google does not recommend changing the security setting, but that would, to the best of my knowledge, be the only option if you have to use gmail
    there are other options, such as an stmp sever provided by your internet provider or a free smtp service, which is what i use
    i do my best to test code works before i post it, but sometimes am unable to do so for some reason, and usually say so if this is the case.
    Note code snippets posted are just that and do not include error handling that is required in real world applications, but avoid On Error Resume Next

dim all variables as required as often i have done so elsewhere in my code but only posted the relevant part

pete

Actually yes I have, I believe the setting is called something like 'Gmail's less secure apps'

They have a configuration page where you can toggle this setting on and off, and I had to adjust to get Outlook to work.

Something I don't quite understand is that on the old XP box I can still use Outlook Express (I believe it's version 6) to connect to Gmail. It has no problem sending or receiving emails. One would think Outlook would be using the same basic code found in cdosys if not the exact same dll for it's own communications. If true all of this could just a problem with some configuration settings and should be correctable.

Oh don't get me started on Windows 10!

I agree that XP does have issues, but not because of a faulty OS but because of the lack of ongoing support. Have to tell you XP runs circles around Windows 10. Having both up and running at the same time I can do direct comparisons running identical apps on both machines. Windows 10 might have better support for the newest hardware along with the latest a greatest browsers, but honestly it's a pig.

I booted XP a couple months back and it's still running like a champ, Windows 10 can't come close to doing that. The headaches caused from when Windows 10 loads an update and random stuff just stops working is beyond infuriating. And there's been several occasions where I've found Windows 10 un-bootable after it loaded an update. And can't ignore the fact the blue screen of death has returned in Windows 10, something I haven't seen in XP for years.

Sorry, just hate how Microsoft and other big tech plays with planed obsolescent forcing people to buy new equipment and software just to keep there revenue flowing.

Frenzied Member

I am not familiar with CDO, but I have cleared numerous hurdles with GMail while creating my own email client program:
    https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....4-with-TLS-1-3

Gmail requires TLS, period. I am using TLS 1.3. SMTP on port 465 also requires Authentication. I supply the email address and password in a special Base64 encoded string using the "AUTH PLAIN" command. Gmail still allows the use of "Allow less secure apps", but have hinted strongly that will soon be discontinued. Gmail wants all users to use Oaut2, which is very much orientated to browser activity. As an alternative, Gmail allows the use of 2FA (2 Factor Authentication) and App Password. An App Password is a 16 byte random string assigned by Google.

Hope this helps.

J.A. Coutts

Good grief man, that whole email thread is as impressive as it is scary! Had no idea things were that bloody complicated just to send a message, no wonder there aren’t a bunch alternatives floating around out there to accomplish this.

I’ve started looking at installing some 3rd party mail server on my system to use as a relay of sorts and have it do all of the work. One I’ve been checking out is hMailServer but honestly don’t know if I’d only be creating more trouble then its worth as I would be seriously heading into uncharted waters. Heck I don’t even know if using a 3rd party server would solve my issue and allow me to send mail from VB. I mean there's a huge question / issue with how VB would even communicate with a server.

Oh and I have no particular reason for for working with a Gmail server, just happens to be the only free service I was able to find that still works with POP3. All of the others I've tried only offer POP3 once you upgrade and pay for there premium service. I'd gladly switch to another provider if it meant I could this to work.

PowerPoster

in my case i have my own mail server for incoming mail, but security and other issues deter me from having a smtp server on the same box

i either use my isp outgoing mail server, which may have limitations for bulk emails or a free smtp service (smtp2go), who do have limitations, but have been amenable to changing them on request
    some isp limit emails going out to other servers, particularly on port 25
    i have not done any updated cdo code on xp for some time, but the program i am using to create emails was still working up to christmas when i updated the computer, i got sick of XP freeze ups getting worse

pete

Does any of the following sound like a viable solution to enable TLS on XP?

I never like editing the registry unless I know exactly what's going on and not quite sure what's going on here with TLS.

Code:
    Enable TLS 1.2 Encryption on Windows XP/2008/7/Windows 2008 R2

TLS is the successor of SSL, EASendMail supports SSL 3.0/TLS 1.0 - TLS 1.2 very well. In EASendMail, ConnectSTARTTLS doesn't mean TLS encryption, it means STARTTLS command in SMTP protocol.

You don't have to set any property to enable TLS 1.2 encryption. If your server requires TLS 1.2 encryption, TLS 1.2 encryption is used automatically with ConnectSSLAuto, ConnectSTARTTLS or ConnectDirectSSL.

To enable TLS 1.2 on some legacy systems, you need to install the following update/packages:
    Windows XP/2003 32bit (x86)

POSReady.reg

Put the following POSReady text in POSReady.txt, rename to POSReady.reg, right-click Merge, Yes You can also download it from POSReady.reg.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 
        [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady] 
        "Installed"=dword:00000001

KB4019276

After you merge POSReady.reg, go to: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/search.aspx?q=kb4019276 Download and Install "Update for WES09 and POSReady 2009 (KB4019276)".

More information: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/4019276
        Add/merge the following registry keys to enable TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
        [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\TLS 1.1\Client]
        "DisabledByDefault"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\TLS 1.1\Server]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\TLS 1.2\Client]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\TLS 1.2\Server]
    Last edited by JTaylor; Feb 20th, 2021 at 12:31 PM.

Sorry for all the posts here about TLS, it would just really help if I could get this to work.

So from what I understand, XP uses TLS 1.0 which I was introduced somewhere way back in the late 1990's, and since there have been 3 newer version released. 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3.

Today TLS version 1.0 isn't compatible with much of anything out there while versions 1.1 and 1.2 are common place with most supporting TLS 1.2. Version 1.3 looks to be in limbo if I'm understanding correctly, while it lives and exists in the world not many have implemented it within their systems.

Apparently Microsoft has yet to commit in supporting TLS 1.3 for Windows 10.

With all of the legacy systems still floating around, this transition from TLS 1.0 to later versions has created a substantial problem for more people then just myself and Microsoft has addressed the issue.

“TLS 1.2 has been backported to Windows Server 2008 SP2 and XP POSReady 2009 to help customers with legacy obligations.”

Source:
    Solving the TLS 1.0 Problem, 2nd Edition, 02/18/2020
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sec...g-tls1-problem

My previous post references this “XP POSReady 2009” but I’m not quite sure what it is. It looks to be more of registry changes then anything else which makes little sense in how such modifications could effectively bring TLS 1.2 support to XP.

The POSReady system (point-of-service) appears to provide support for legacy retail device peripherals yet there are a number of vague internet articles / discussions in how it brings general TLS support to XP. I don’t even know what that means, could it be that POSReady provides a broad range of TLS 1.2 features to XP that would also allow email clients to make use it?

Again I'm always hesitant when making changes to the registry especially when I don’t fully understand what impact they might have to the rest of the OS. And even if I’m successful in installing this XP POSReady modification, I have no idea if it would address the email issues I’m having.

If anyone is familiar with POSReady or what it entails or understands how it works, I would greatly appreciate any guidance they might have.

Thanks.
    Last edited by JTaylor; Feb 20th, 2021 at 07:11 PM.

PowerPoster

If anyone is familiar with POSReady
    there was a thread here about a year ago, i will see if i can find it for you, https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....light=posready

the way i see it, if you can not get cdo code to work with windows 10, which already uses tls 1.3 by default then the tls may not be the problem you are facing

i will try some code to send email using gmail server, but as you have already said that you are not locked to using gmail, why not try with some other smtp server

pete

I've tried some others but encountered the same problem with each, verizon.net (actually AOL), comcast.net, and GMX.com to name a few. And the number of email servers still offering free POP3 service are dwindling by the day. I don't mind paying for a mail service but only if I know its going to work and that's almost impossible to know until after signing up and paying. Could amount to tidy little sum test driving server after server in the hopes of finding one that works, or worse yet striking out with all of them.

The servers I've tried all appear to have the same issue, well at least as far as I know it's the same issue, but in any case I'm not able to establish a connection through cdo with any of them. And actually Gmail is the only one that still works with Outlook Express in both sending and receiving. I can't get Outlook to work with either verizon.net or GMX.com, they both are able to receive messages through Outlook just can't send anything.

If anybody knows of a mail services that still works with TLS 1.0, please let me know as I'd sign up tomorrow for an account and put this all behind me.

PowerPoster

after a couple of changes to code, i now have the gmail server accepting cdo emails in windows 10, i will test with xp later

BUT i was initially locked out by gmail and had to set use less secure apps even though it was supposedly already turned on

edit: when i finally got the old laptop working, i had no problem with cdo to google, the original code worked fine in XP
    Last edited by westconn1; Feb 21st, 2021 at 05:09 AM.

pete

Check out smtp.gmail.com ports description at https://developers.google.com/gmail/imap/imap-smtp

<<<big snip>>>

The outgoing SMTP server, smtp.gmail.com, requires TLS. Use port 465, or port 587 if your client begins with plain text before issuing the STARTTLS command.
    http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpusessl setting controls if the connection is protected since initiation. If CDO supports STARTTLS there is no need to set any setting as the SMTP protocol negotiation starts in plain-text and at some point the server prompts the client to issue STARTTLS and upgrade to secure session before submitting credentials. So the http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpusessl setting must control if the TLS is started from get go, not as a response to STARTTLS which does not need a separate setting.

My point is: try port 25 with smtpusessl being set on CDO.Message and ports 465 and 587 with smtpusessl clear. There is no other possible combination this can work.

Another observation: if Outlook Express is able to connect to gmail's SMTP server over TLS there is no trouble with TLS protocol version as implemented by SSPI/Schannel per se (no need to hack in POSReady dlls).

cheers,
    </wqw>

edit: when i finally got the old laptop working, i had no problem with cdo to google, the original code worked fine in XP
    westconn1, can I have your laptop?? - Just kidding.

Just to clarify, when you say you have the original code working on XP are you referring to the code referenced in post #4 & #8 of this thread?

wqweto

My point is: try port 25 with smtpusessl being set on CDO.Message and ports 465 and 587 with smtpusessl clear. There is no other possible combination this can work.
    I've tired each of this combinations and every time it errors out with:

"The transport failed to connect to the server."

The only notable difference is that when attempting to use port 25 the system pauses for some time during the .Send command but it also eventually fails

Another observation: if Outlook Express is able to connect to gmail's SMTP server over TLS there is no trouble with TLS protocol version as implemented by SSPI/Schannel per se (no need to hack in POSReady dlls).
    My thoughts exactly, if Outlook can do it then why can't I, but then that's only if Outlook is using the same cdo dll, could be using it's own flavor of things.

Edit:

I had to enable 'Use Less Secure Apps' in Gmail for Outlook to receive emails. I doubled checked by tuning it off and sure enough Outlook failed to connect. So I can be pretty sure that if my Outlook is functioning, then I've successfully enabled Gmails 'Less Secure Apps'. Unfortunately even with it turned on cdo still fails.
    Last edited by JTaylor; Feb 21st, 2021 at 09:56 AM.

Here is a somewhat more accurate info on gmail's SMTP settings: https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7126229?hl=en

Just did some tests on a plain (non-POSReady) XP:

1. On port 465 SSPI/Schannel can connect by TLS1_0_CLIENT using 3DES cipher with SHA1 hash and RSA_SIGN key-exchange

2. On port 587 the connection cannot use TLS on initiation, has to connect with plain-text and issue STARTTLS and SSPI/Schannel can connect successfully too.

Code:
    335878.655 [INFO] Connect to port 587 [Form1.Command7_Click]
    335878.839 [INFO] ->    220 smtp.gmail.com ESMTP k22sm1772801ljk.90 - gsmtp [Form1.Command7_Click]
    335879.011 [INFO] <-    HELO 77.238.66.165 [Form1.Command7_Click]
    335879.068 [INFO] ->    250 smtp.gmail.com at your service [Form1.Command7_Click]
    335879.114 [INFO] <-    STARTTLS [Form1.Command7_Click]
    335879.168 [INFO] ->    220 2.0.0 Ready to start TLS [Form1.Command7_Click]
    335879.309 [INFO] TLS1_0_CLIENT using 3DES cipher with SHA1 hash and RSA_SIGN key-exchange [mdTlsNative.TlsHandshake]
    335879.358 [INFO] TLS handshake complete: smtp.gmail.com [Form1.Command7_Click]
    335879.383 [INFO] <-    NOOP [Form1.Command7_Click]
    335879.439 [INFO] ->    250 2.0.0 OK k22sm1772801ljk.90 - gsmtp [Form1.Command7_Click]
    335879.484 [INFO] <-    QUIT [Form1.Command7_Click]
    335879.540 [INFO] ->    221 2.0.0 closing connection k22sm1772801ljk.90 - gsmtp [Form1.Command7_Click]
    3. On port 25 the connection cannot use TLS on initiation but can successfully use STARTTLS as above on port 587

My conclusion is that TLS version 1.0 being used is not an issue with XP vs SMTP servers of gmail.com so the problem with CDO must be something else.

cheers,
    </wqw>

So after reading the last round of posts, I decided to start looking elsewhere for what might be causing the problem. Scanned the computer for virus, turned off my firewall and stopped my VPN but still have the same issue,

"The transport failed to connect to the server."

Next, using the Windows Components Wizard I removed Internet Explorer and Outlook, then reinstalled. Man was that a mistake!

When starting Outlook I get an error message saying it no longer likes the Gmail server:

Name:  Outlook Startup.JPG
Views: 4764
Size:  15.4 KB

And while I can click Yes to continue, can’t say this new development is a good thing.

And once past the server message another pops up for the message being displayed:

Name:  Outlook Message.JPG
Views: 4800
Size:  25.9 KB

I have no idea what I've done other then going the wrong direction trying to fix my cdo issue!
    Last edited by JTaylor; Feb 21st, 2021 at 10:56 AM.

Looks like you have some root certificates missing. Check out in Add/Remove Windows Components if Update Root Certificates is checked. (Might want to uncheck it + reboot and then check it back again + reboot.)

cheers,
    </wqw>

Frenzied Member

Just for your info, SSL is totally obsolete and TLS 1.0 and 1.1 are predicated. The TLS 1.3 standard requires the server to only allow fall back one version, but obviously Gmail is ignoring that. My main issue with Gmail at the moment is the non-standard handling of the "UIDL" command in POP3. It is supposed to return a list of emails on the server with message IDs newer than the one sent, but Gmail only returns a single item.

J.A. Coutts

PowerPoster

Just to clarify, when you say you have the original code working on XP are you referring to the code referenced in post #4 & #8 of this thread?
    the code i wrote around 10 years ago, before i started editing to use with windows 10
    i have never used gmail server to send outgoing emails i only ever had this code for testing purposes, sending email to myself on a different server
    my only issue was gmail less secure apps
    the code was quite basic as has been posted here in several threads
    some minor changes needed to be made to work on windows 10

edit: i see you are using createobject late binding so do you have a reference to cdo, if not the constants used are not valid so you would need to define the constants or use literal values
    Last edited by westconn1; Feb 21st, 2021 at 03:15 PM.

pete

So okay glad you brought up the cdo constants because I’m still scratching my head over the oddness of these strings in how they are being used to set the Configuration.Fields.Items. The only reason I see for using strings is if there position isn’t fixed within the structure and a search is performed to locate the correct field location, but to have them prefixed with URL’s totally throws me for a loop.

As for the numeric constants, I believe there are only two, cdoBasic and cdoAnonymous and I confirmed that the values are correct.

The reason I asked about the code you got working is because I’m curious to know if your using these 'URL prefixed' strings in your code?

This full sample works on both XP and Win10

Code:
    Option Explicit

Private Sub Form_Click()
        Const cdoSendUsingPort As Long = 2
        Const cdoBasic As Long = 1
        Const txtDisplayName As String = "wqweto"
        Const txtUserName As String = "wqweto@gmail.com"
        Const txtServer As String = "smtp.gmail.com"
        Const txtPassword As String = "*****"
        Const txtPort As Long = 465
        Const emailSig As String = "</wqw>"
        Dim objemail As Object

objemail.To = txtUserName
        objemail.Subject = "Test mail " & Timer
        objemail.TextBody = "Your ability to EMail customers is ready to go!" & vbNewLine & _
            emailSig & vbNewLine & vbNewLine & _
            "------------------------------------" & vbNewLine & _
            "This message was generated automatically from XXX"

With objemail.Configuration.Fields
            .Item("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/sendusing") = cdoSendUsingPort
            .Item("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpserver") = txtServer
            .Item("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpserverport") = txtPort
            .Item("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpusessl") = True
            .Item("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpconnectiontimeout") = 15
            .Item("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpauthenticate") = cdoBasic
            .Item("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/sendusername") = txtUserName
            .Item("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/sendpassword") = txtPassword
            .Update
        End With
        objemail.Send
    End Sub
    Skipping objemail.Configuration.Fields.Update method call fails under XP with "The transport failed to connect to the server" error on objemail.Send method call but works fine on Win10 so this extra call seems required and main culrpit for the troubles in this thread.

I'm using 2FA on my google account with application password for gmail access generated which is used in the snippet above.

cheers,
    </wqw>

PowerPoster

I’m curious to know if your using these 'URL prefixed' strings in your code?
    yes i am using those

here is the code, pretty basic
    Code:
          Set objmessage = CreateObject("CDO.Message")
          objmessage.Subject = "Example CDO Message"
          objmessage.From = fr
          objmessage.To = mee ' sent to myself, not at gmail
          objmessage.TextBody = "This is some sample message text."

objmessage.Configuration.Fields.Item _
          ("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/sendusing") = 2

'Type of authentication, NONE, Basic (Base64 encoded), NTLM
          ("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpauthenticate") = 1
          'Your UserID on the SMTP server
          ("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/sendusername") = usernm
          'Your password on the SMTP server
          ("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/sendpassword") = pass
           'Name or IP of Remote SMTP Server
          ("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpserver") = "smtp.gmail.com"
          'Server port (typically 25)
          ("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpserverport") = 465
          'Use SSL for the connection (False or True)
          ("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpusessl") = 1
          'Connection Timeout in seconds (the maximum time CDO will try to establish a connection to the SMTP server)
          ("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpconnectiontimeout") = 50
          objmessage.Configuration.Fields.Update
          objmessage.Send
          Set objmessage = Nothing
    username and password are assigned prior to the above, there is nothing very special about any of the code

if you want to pm your gmail address and login i will attempt to send through your account

edit: if you have a reference to cdo you can look in the object browser to see the constants for the field names (urls) for the configuration fields, but asfik, apart from one or two people most just use the url fieldnames with late binding
    Last edited by westconn1; Feb 22nd, 2021 at 03:28 AM.

pete

Hey wanted to apologize to all for my disappearance, bunch of us had to quarantine because a coworker tested positive for Covid forcing us all to stay away from our homes and families.

Want to thank wqweto & westconn1 for the code, but nothing I've tried seems to work. Starting to think it might have something to do with the security certificate error I'm getting from Outlook Express. Perhaps not directly but there appears to be a lot of things tied to Internet Explorer and Outlook. And if CDO uses credentials or configuration info from IE or OE to initialize a TLS connection I'm wondering if the problem with the security certificate could be messing with VB.

I'm not even getting to the point where gmail has the chance to reject my username and password, so I'm assuming that VB isn't even fully connecting to the server. And that seems to be about the same place where Outlook throws the security certificate error. Not sure what to do at this point although been thinking about trying to get stuff moved over to Windows 10, problems is the XP box has a custom board plugged into a PCI slot and the drivers are nowhere to be found, sort of killing the whole idea of moving to Windows 10 before even getting started.

Here's a questions that doesn't really fit here on VBforums, anybody know what the chances are in trying to upgrade the XP box to Windows 7 and then onto Windows 10? I was thinking that if I can't find the drivers maybe going through upgrades would allow me to keep the driver in it's place and hopefully all would work once Windows 10 was up an running.

For your Root Certificates troubles on XP you can try finding rootupd.exe by Microsoft in order to update the list of root CAs on your system.

Unfortunately this utility is no longer available from their site and you have to download it from 3-rd party backup sites like Kaspersky's copy or others.

cheers,
    </wqw>

PowerPoster

And if CDO uses credentials or configuration info from IE or OE to initialize a TLS connection
    this is only the case if specific configuration parameters are not provided in the code, with w10 all parameters must be supplied as there is no mapi client configuration, to provide default settings

what the chances are in trying to upgrade the XP box to Windows 7 and then onto Windows 10?
    is your old machine even up to spec for windows 10? maybe you have to look for an up to date version of the custom board, or alternatives

pete

Hey wqweto, thanks so much for the Certificate Update Utility, worked like a charm in fixing the Outlook Express error. Unfortunately it did nothing in the way helping with the CDO issue.

westconn1 - surprisingly yes! I put a second hard drive in the XP box and loaded Windows 10. Pretty amazing, the old system still has a 3.5 floppy drive and uses a SVGA video card but Windows is up and running. Haven't really tested all that much, Firefox & Chrome, Mircosoft Office and Access all appear to be working.

I tried loading the VB IDE following the instruction here on VBForums and while it loaded I'm getting an error when starting VB6

Name:  vb6 error.png
Views: 4751
Size:  47.8 KB

Its the Enterprise version of visual studio and C++, Foxpro, and InterDev all startup up just fine. Only VB6 has a problem. I loaded the VB6 service pack without issue, not sure why the IDE is mad.

Oh and I'm on the old XP box right now logged into VBForums with Firefox typing this very message while running Windows 10.

I'm trying to get an tiny piece of VB code running to test CDO here on Windows 10, but of course of all the programs I've loaded VB is the only one with an issue.

Thought I'd share this screen shot as it's Kind of wild seeing a Floppy Drive on Windows 10 that works! I just had to test it out and it reads and writes to the drive just fine.

Name:  Floppy Drive.png
Views: 4660
Size:  25.7 KB

Edit:

Not sure if is matters to VB, but I'm running Windows 10 (64 Bit)
    Last edited by JTaylor; Mar 6th, 2021 at 10:29 AM.

Fanatic Member

The error shown usually happens if not running VB6 as administrator. Go to the exe, right click /properties/compatibility. check run as administrator.

Thank for the info on running as administrator, unfortunately it didn't help. I'm starting to get the feeling this old XP box is cursed. I mean I've tried everything and nothings worked. Still have the upgrade idea in mind, going from XP to 7 and then Windows 10, but seems like a bunch of work and have no idea if it would even work.

Also looked at running a Virtual Machine inside of Windows 10 and I'm not even sure why! I mean its just a crazy idea thinking that if XP were running as a Virtual Machine on Windows 10 maybe it could share / make use of the TLS transport layer, but that's such a long shot - pretty sure I'm just making excuses at this point so I can play around with a virtual machine.

PowerPoster

i believe, some time ago, gmail stopped spoofing of the sender, so both from and sender may have to be the gmail email, or if left blank will be the gmail address

if you have ms office installed, you can test the cdo code in VBA, or the mostly the same CDO code would work the same as a VBS script file, in either case provide literal values instead of the textboxes
    i have had issues installing vb6 under w10, but never a problem loading the vb6 program

pete

Quote Originally Posted by JTaylor View Post
    I mean its just a crazy idea thinking that if XP were running as a Virtual Machine on Windows 10 maybe it could share / make use of the TLS transport layer, but that's such a long shot - pretty sure I'm just making excuses at this point so I can play around with a virtual machine.
    Not aware of any virtualization solution which provides for this. There is a POSReady edition of XP that has TLS (somewhat) updated to version 1.2 and some desparate people event retrofitted SSPI/Schannel DLLs from Win7 but this would be highly not recommended.

VB6 w/ SP6 should run elevated on Win10 x64 with no problems. (This is my current setup.)

cheers,
    </wqw>

The new idea / plan is to try and throw together a small homegrown VB client server deal where the XP box can ‘out-source’ it’s email send function. Whenever an email needs to be sent, the VB client on the XP box will communicate with a Windows 10 box where it will pick up the request, process it and send out the email using the latest and greatest TLS.

Bit of work but I have no way of getting the custom hardware drivers over to a Window’s 10 box, so at the moment I’m stuck with using XP somewhere in all of this.

I was hoping to use just one physical computer by installing a virtual machine, but I’m limited there as well because the XP hardware is so old. Wanted to use VMware but ran into compatibility issues. And it’s just not safe to be switching out the XP motherboard / CPU as I can’t risk a conflict with the custom board and it’s drivers so I ended up going with Oracle VM.

Went back and reinstalled VB6 on Windows 10 and the OLE error no longer pops up, don’t know why but at this point not too concerned as long VB runs.

So if everything works as planned, the old VB program will still run on XP complete with it’s custom board & driver all siting within an Oracle’s virtual machine and this should allow me to use only one computer.

I'll change the original VB program to output it's email to a disk file that can be shared between the Oracle VM and Window's 10. Then I'll write a new VB program to run on Windows 10 that monitors this 'email' file for any changes, when notified by the system that it's been modified, I'll open it reading the send to address, subject and message then hopefully send it off using CDO.

The VB program will most likely end up using a couple of files to synchronize and manager the sending of emails.

Edit:

Oh and this is only going to work on a single machine as long as i can successfully create a bootable CD emergency repair disk for my XP box that includes the driver for the custom board. Using this bookable repair disk is the only way I know of to get the old XP OS loaded into Oracle's VM.
    Last edited by JTaylor; Mar 9th, 2021 at 11:29 AM.

If you are going the proxy route then best would be to just install stunnel for Windows as the ultimate TLS proxing gateway and for a 32-bit XP you'll need something like version 5.49.

Once installed it comes pre-configured with gmail tunnels incl. smtp one like this:

Code:
    [gmail-smtp]
    client = yes
    accept = 127.0.0.1:25
    connect = smtp.gmail.com:465
    verifyChain = yes
    CAfile = ca-certs.pem
    checkHost = smtp.gmail.com
    OCSPaia = yes
    Just tested this setup on an XP VM with telnet like this:

Code:
    C:\Documents and Settings\wqw>telnet localhost 25

220 smtp.gmail.com ESMTP w12sm2127312ljm.50 - gsmtp
    quit
    221 2.0.0 closing connection w12sm2127312ljm.50 - gsmtp

Connection to host lost.
    Apparently stunnel is using openssl DLLs so its TLS implementation is OS version independant which is good.

cheers,
    </wqw>

PowerPoster

I haven't unraveled the lashup you've described. I thought the rusty XP box couldn't run a VM with a Win10 instance inside?

But in any case it is long past time to get beyond your fragile hardware and adding more hoops to keep it on life support. If any of the hardware breaks you'd be in bad shape.

If I was in this situation I'd do two things: 1.) Start looking for new hardware with driver support that can be used in a new Win10 box, 2.) if under the gun today rewrite as much as possible to run on Win10 calling back into an ActiveX EXE on the creaky XP box that does the bare minimum of accessing the weird hardware.

Name:  Suggestions.png
Views: 4677
Size:  3.9 KB

So divide across two physical PCs communicating over the LAN. As soon as you can get new hardware install that into a Win10 box and begin to reintegrate the two VB6 programs as one. Or even limit the effort by keeping the big program and rewriting the tiny ActiveX EXE to run on Win10 with the new board replacement.

Adding VM headaches is just asking for trouble. Your Win10 box might even be cheaper than the new board itself, it doesn't need to be very powerful or expensive.

Hey wqweto thanks for the info on stunnel, just downloaded it so I can check it out.

Have to say I’ve personally had some mixed reviews with OpenSSL as I use it on XP directly through VB for FTP. And while I’ve had troubles with it, I’m almost certain it’s the build I’m using. Wasn’t able to find a stable version already built for XP so I download all the make files and created the DLL’s myself struggling forever getting things to work. Still pretty sure my build is less then perfect.

dilettante - I'd love to put all of this behind me by updating the hardware, problem is that it's a laboratory setting and the board in question is one of a kind. Been searching for a very long time for a replacement and nothing comes close. And worse yet it’s connected to several other pieces of antiquated hardware including an extremely expensive electron microscope.

I too thought about using the LAN for communications but adding a level of complexity / management is something I want to avoid at all costs. The 2:00 am tech calls get old fast and I’ve learned that even if the solution is a bit clunky, the simpler the better. Relying on a single system mean there’s only one backup needed to restore, and I’ve implemented a disk to disk backup with a SATA switch panel on the front of the computer. Whenever changes are made, the secondary disk is powered up and a complete bootable image is made. If there’s ever a hard disk failure on the primary boot device, it can be powered down from the front panel while powering up the backup and the system can be started up immediately with literally no down time. Well except for the amount of time it takes to boot the system. And better yet, anybody can restore the system, push two buttons and restart the computer.

The tech goal for the Lab is to provide as close to 100% up-time as possible so at times the clunky solutions win out over the more eloquent and proper ways of doing things. It’s the ‘kiss’ approach at it’s worse but has always allowed us to meet our up-time goal.

What I worry about the most here is Windows 10!

The old XP box runs for months at a time without issue, no freezing up and no blue screens of death, it's solid as a rock. Windows 10 is a whole other story as it goes down quite frequently especially after updates. Oh and the blue screen of death has returned. Working in a lab environment with these computers running 24 hours a day I witness a very realistic side by side comparison, and I'd opt for windows XP any day when needing a reliable system that doesn't crash!
    Last edited by JTaylor; Mar 9th, 2021 at 02:49 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast