Thread: MMM error

MMM error

I used Make My Manifest app to create a manifest file for an application that has some ocx files around. It works well for most of these COM files but there is one that for some reason does generate the error below. Does anyone have any idea what is causing it ? I mention that in the log file I don't find any clue about it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "VB code is practically pseudocode" - Tanner Helland
    "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all" - Matt Groening
    "If you wait until you are ready, it is almost certainly too late" - Seth Godin
    "Believe nothing you hear, and only one half that you see" - Edgar Allan Poe

PowerPoster

Re: MMM error

The Event Log entry might show the position in the XML document where things went awry. That would at least offer a starting point for some detective work.

Hi Dille. I spent many hours to understand this issue but so far with no success. It is interesting that I was not able to find any log in the PC even I used MySxSTrace.exe, Event Viewer, checked in the registry on SideBySide. I installed all MS Visual C++ redistributable files x86 x64 from 2005 to 2019 and no effect. To simplify the analysis I compiled a form with no line of code, only with the com libraries inserted in the Form. It is frustrating that a single library generates this issue and once I remove it everything works well. But the same library has a normal behavior if it is called from registry, either my project is in IDE or compiled. So I am still looking for a solution to deal with this hidden error..
    "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all" - Matt Groening

PowerPoster

Which library is involved in the failure?

I don't know if you are familiar with the suite of libraries from codejock but I've been using it for 10 years successfully. It is first time when I try to deploy these controls making a package based on a manifest file. That library in my case is called Codejock.SkinFramework.v15.0.1.ocx. Thanks.

As an update, it is interesting what I found. If I take the controls one by one - so that to have only one inserted in the Form - they are recognized by the manifest file with no error. But once I insert more than one the issue above occurs again.. Simply the manifest file doesn't support more than one control in the same time.

PowerPoster

Very strange. Aside from generating the manifest file and examining it I'm not sure where else to look.

Fanatic Member

Hi Daniel, I use the CodeJock controls including the skin framework all the time without any issue with my res file.

However I have seen that exact error when the res file was not exactly divisible by 4. I use LaVolpe's manifest creator.

PowerPoster

I remember that I had a nasty problem like this, but now I'm not totally sure if it was that exact error (but I think it might be), and it turned to be that some text was not in the exact case (Uppercase/Lowercase) required.
    It only happened in an specific OS, I think it was Windows 7 32 bits, not in XP or other.

If I recall correctly, the problem was at the line:
    Code:
    <supportedOS Id=
    that is within <application>.

The text 'supportedOS Id' must be exactly like that, not 'SupportedOS Id', 'supportedOS ID' or 'supportedos Id'.

HTH

Hi Steve, this rule with divisibility by 4 is strange but anyway it doesn't work in my case. Perhaps it is applicable to LaVolpe's manifest creator. I will search for it in the CodeBank. Thank you.

Fanatic Member

No RES files must be exactly divisible by 4 no matter how they are created. I have taken the liberty of attaching my Standard.RES file.
    Attached Files Attached Files

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Eduardo- View Post
    The text 'supportedOS Id' must be exactly like that...
    Good point. Old versions like 0.12 had the wrong casing there. That was corrected way back on 0.13, which was never released. Of course now MMM is at 0.27 but that can no longer be released because I worked on it myself. Long story. Sadly, pressure to release the source has hurt the community.

It's a pity dilettante that you even don't want to release the compiled version.
    I find even the current version a very valuable tool.
    I understand the reason for not wanting to share the source, but iss there a specific reason you don't want to release a compiled version?

PowerPoster

With no pressure to release it I was able to take it in another direction. The UI is completely different, and a lot of it is driven by config file data for each Project to make it less interactive. I also cleaned up most of the really ugly code.

The problem is that when I tried to open the source it shed a light on what I was doing. The legal agreement that resulted no longer allows me to release any of it that I work on myself. I can't imagine what it might cost to have it "clean room" rewritten at this point.

It all goes back to the problem of my employer, when I wrote the early versions. They won the rights to it in court.

PowerPoster

Er, the "it" being my work on SxS technology. Basically they claimed what I had learned while employed there as "work for hire" even though it was done at home.

It all goes back to the problem of my employer, when I wrote the early versions. They won the rights to it in court.
    Pfff, that sucks.

I now understand that you don't to release anything related to the topic of SxS.

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    Er, the "it" being my work on SxS technology. Basically they claimed what I had learned while employed there as "work for hire" even though it was done at home.
    Ouch! This is so unfortunate.

I’ve only heard this possibility for legal consequences only in theory, never thought this would be enforced on someone in these forums by an a**l-retentive employer. Are they selling it now?

PowerPoster

No, they never sold it.

When I first got permission they didn't care as long as it was not worked on during work hours using their office, PCs, etc. But I had never mentioned source code. Sadly the written permission was a "form" that specified no source code release and I hadn't questioned it.

Later on I came back for a release to distribute source. I don't know whether it was just a new HR or Contracts person handling it or a real policy change, but I got back a list of things I'd have to do first. The biggest one was rewriting "unique" parts of it using an approved 3rd party who had never seen the source code.

Just negotiating and finding an acceptable programmer took weeks, and then there were the legal fees as well as paying this programmer. At the end the snarky County Magistrate said "Next time get permission before success!" Grr.

PowerPoster

And now what happens if someone else that has the source code makes a new version?

PowerPoster

It doesn't matter what anyone else does.

Note that the released source is pretty messy though. It was written "in the dark" with short time constraints.

I have made it to work excluding from manifest those classes that do not have threading model. All you have to do is uncomment two lines of code in the ManifestComponents procedure that will filter out these cases.

PowerPoster

This issue seems to me very weird.

Let's suppose that someone has learned JavaScript at work while being employee at a company.
    Then he is not able to use his knowledge of JavaScript for his private use for life?
    AFAIK the manifest technology that includes SxS is not a business secret of any company, but it is publicly published by MS at MSDN.

I can understand the prohibition to use code of software made in the company, but not if you start a project from scratch using your knowledge.

It makes no sense to me.

Another thing that does not makes sense to me is that if you are not allowed use the code that has been already published on internet to make improvements publicly (or a derivative work), nobody else should be allowed to do so either.

PowerPoster

Well, the good news for me is that the agreement expires in June of 2022. That means there could be an MMM 1.0 released as open source after that.

I just think it might be too late by then to be of much value. VB6 is already far into its last days.

PowerPoster

Ah, OK, this was an agreement.

Thank you for clarifying this issue, that even being of you personal (and I guess with an emotional burden), it raised questions.

Yeah, 2022 may be too late, but it is too late now too, and I guess in 2022 will still be VB6 developers.