Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting a new machine

Re: Getting a new machine

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    I had to read over that page a couple times, and at this point I'm still not sure what the point is. It appears to be just an alternative to the Type Cover, which MS stubbornly refuses to include with the SP. It talks about wireless, but the pictures make it look like it attaches to the SP directly. So, is this something about the SP 5? Did the Type Cover not exist at the time? That cover looks to be the same thing, just bulkier, and a bit more expensive.
    The Type Cover connects physically to the Surface Pro/Go via a dedicated port and using it requires use of the kickstand on the device to support it. The Brydge keyboard does not connect physically to the device but instead uses Bluetooth, which means it is possible to use the keyboard some distance from the device. The keyboard has a clasp on each side with silicon inside that you slip the Surface device into. It physically holds the device so you can open and close it like a regular laptop and also use it on your lap (or anywhere else) without using the kickstand. Basically, the Brydge keyboard turns a Surface Pro/Go into a regular laptop without losing its tablet/convertible functionality. I have a Type Cover and a Brydge for my SP5. I tend to use the Type Cover and my partner uses the Brydge because she prefers the laptop feel. If I'm wearing shorts and want to use it in my lap, I'll use the Brydge too, because the kickstand is quite thin and can be uncomfortable on bare skin.

Ah, so you can use it disconnected or connected, and you don't need the kickstand. I can see those two advantages, but they aren't for me. I'm already not using the kickstand because I wanted to add a bit of protection to the device. I have it in a folio, so when opened, the folio provides what amounts to a platform that the kickstand rests in. Therefore, the kickstand wouldn't be on my legs, but on a wider, cloth backed, platform, which wouldn't be at all uncomfortable.

I had an even nicer cover on the SP2, but the 'kickstand' on that cover wasn't great, though the cover was. That company doesn't appear to exist anymore, so that doesn't really matter.

One other thing about the Brydge is that they have a Google ad buy. Just going to that link was enough.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Ican't remember when I used a laptop for the last time. I guess it was back at the uni.

Any computer should work, it isn't like you have to run a super complicated app or program. But, if you want to save up some money, then you will have to do some research. This is what I suggest: understand your needs, what are you going to do with your computer? Play games, write essays, watch movies or run super hard programs? This is important because after answering this question you will know what is the most important for you: the memory, the graphic ram, the power, and so on. After that, try to look for computers compatible with your needs.
    Last edited by Shaggy Hiker; Apr 12th, 2021 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Removed a link that was pretty close to advertising.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12