Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting the ball rolling. Which VB6 projects are you working on?

PowerPoster yereverluvinuncleber's Avatar

Re: Getting the ball rolling. Which VB6 projects are you working on?

Baka, please a picture or two.

Quote Originally Posted by ThEiMp View Post
    QuickDirector SX and Windows SX, also
    A picture or two please TheImp as per the rules would be most useful, thanks.

he wants money for his work, okay then that is final, even so
    I have a huge free products range, of computer software in which you can download using any kind of 64-Bit Web Browser. Also there is coming a Social Networking section that I am making on my Website...

|Ambra Productions Inc. | The Black Sun Society | The Black Shield | Ambra College | Church of the Black Sun | Ambra Productions Inc's Homepage | Boomtick Event's Venues: Ambar Nightclub, Jack Rabbit Slim's, Villa Nightclub and Lucy's Bar | Pasta Ambra | Fish Feast Company | Wallet Wizard | Ambrose Liquor | Ambar Tavern | Ambra University |

Do you wish to do unpaid work for me??? If so, the PM me on this Forum, and then we can get to work, programming for the future of computers go by the name of ThEiMp. This is my ghost writers name. Also my nickname, means that I am: The Imperial of the Technology Industry, so then to make it really short, I just then wrote: The Imp, which is where I get the nickname from...

Quote Originally Posted by yereverluvinuncleber View Post
    Please post shots of the others, all will be well-received. However, makes my little effort seem quite pathetic...

The one I am working on at the moment is a mediaeval replacement for the Windows Run Command box.

I coded the first one in QB64 and I'm just converting to VB6, the first built as a programming exercise for my son (12) on the BASIC language using a simple DOS-like IDE, the second is to demonstrate a more advanced Windows IDE in the form of VB6.

Originally, coded on a Dell core2duo laptop running win7 and testing an old HP Pavilion laptop with Win10.

The reason for creating it looking like that? Well, why not? Hints of Monty Python and the Holy Grail perhaps?

- and it is certainly better and more fun than:

I don't have any links to it yet but I'll be sure to post some when it is complete.
    How did you applied that skin ? Have you used a dedicated library ?
    "VB code is practically pseudocode" - Tanner Helland
    "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all" - Matt Groening
    "If you wait until you are ready, it is almost certainly too late" - Seth Godin
    "Believe nothing you hear, and only one half that you see" - Edgar Allan Poe

before my accident with the phone and router hub in the department which saw me nearly dead, even. and I don't want to talk about it again, even so!!
    You can't drop a line like that without piquing our interest. I know nothing of your accident and now I want to know! Is there a thread somewhere where you have previously described what happened?

Here is my artwork, which is called: QuickDirector SX

Attachment 180230
    I have a huge free products range, of computer software in which you can download using any kind of 64-Bit Web Browser. Also there is coming a Social Networking section that I am making on my Website...

|Ambra Productions Inc. | The Black Sun Society | The Black Shield | Ambra College | Church of the Black Sun | Ambra Productions Inc's Homepage | Boomtick Event's Venues: Ambar Nightclub, Jack Rabbit Slim's, Villa Nightclub and Lucy's Bar | Pasta Ambra | Fish Feast Company | Wallet Wizard | Ambrose Liquor | Ambar Tavern | Ambra University |

Do you wish to do unpaid work for me??? If so, the PM me on this Forum, and then we can get to work, programming for the future of computers go by the name of ThEiMp. This is my ghost writers name. Also my nickname, means that I am: The Imperial of the Technology Industry, so then to make it really short, I just then wrote: The Imp, which is where I get the nickname from...

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Duta View Post
    How did you applied that skin ? Have you used a dedicated library ?
    No, I simply use controls that take an image. QB64 can take a skin well to controls, VB6 slightly less well but it can still be done. Buttons tend to stand out a little more than the image shown above but the result is still acceptable. The work is started in photoshop with a design that needs to take VB6's limitations into account with regard to spacing of controls. Then I use a script that takes all the various Photoshop layers and converts them into discrete objects with defined properties, all in XML format. I then have a RAD design that tests on my desktop as a moveable program without any logic.

I can then apply the individual images manually to each VB6 control. This last stage is a manual process that I could automate but I haven't managed to get around to doing it yet.

Addicted Member

Then why bother posting at all, just to foster discord?, what a strange person you must be. Are you a petulant teen?
    yereverluvinuncleber, I appreciate the initiative of this post, and your enthusiasm to keep it moving, but remember that people participate volunteerly. Some people don't mind to spend a bit of time to share what they're doing, others prefer to keep it small and simple. Looking at the fact that DataMiser has done nearly 14.000 posts, I believe he has done more than his fair share of sharing information on this forum. Give him a break if he doesn't want to free up time for screenshots.

Understood, maybe I misunderstood his attitude, still seems strange to me that he would bother even turning up.

Attachment 180230
    The attachments seem to fail quite often, TheImp, I host mine on imgur. It seems to be more reliable.

Now it is time for my one of own magnus opus, a recreation of Punklabs' Windows re-interpretation of the os/x dock, known as Rocketdock.

I am working on this now. The two VB6 forms are the dock's utilities, these are both largely complete. They are functional duplicates (with graphical and functional enhancements) of Rocketdock's original utilities. The dock itself at the bottom of the screen with the orange (user-selectable) theme is working but incomplete and I am working on completing it.

Work was rapid to get thus far but bug-fixing and the road to completion is turning out to be long and slow.

My interpretation is called SteamyDock.

Right click and view image to see full size.
    Last edited by yereverluvinuncleber; Feb 16th, 2021 at 06:47 AM.

The coding was carried out on a Dell E5400 core2duo using photoshop CS ver 8.0 to perform the designs. The VB6 forms are fully skinned to act in high contrast (Windows Classic theme) mode on any recent version of Windows. The dock uses GDI+ to place the graphics on the screen and the idea is to use as little CPU as possible during operation. When it is idle it uses almost zero CPU.

My current system is a Dell E6410 laptop running Windows 7 and I'm looking after my dementia mother whilst typing in code on the kitchen table. That is why progress is SO slow. I used to be a technical Project Manager and a VMS Systems Administrator. Now I code in VB6 for my sanity and to shore up lost skills.

Last edited by yereverluvinuncleber; Feb 16th, 2021 at 06:06 AM.

Name:  QuickDirector.jpg
Views: 1586
Size:  34.8 KB

So, what does it do, this QuickDirector SX software and is it commercial or FOSS? I can see you appear to use Win10 as the platform of choice at least for testing and display purposes.

It would be good to see what Olaf Schmidt is working on... Olaf?

who is that person meant to be, then. a member of this forum or not so, even

PowerPoster

The attachments seem to fail quite often, TheImp, I host mine on imgur. It seems to be more reliable.
    Be aware: A while back VBForums upgraded the forum software here, and this new version has a feature that randomly picks old posts, replaces imgur embeds with what appears to be an attempt to host the image from here, but it never actually copies the image, so the image will not appear. It will also change it right back if you edit and put the imgur url back. I still haven't figured out how it picks which threads to do this to.

There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of interest in fixing this

See this thread I made about it
    Last edited by fafalone; Feb 17th, 2021 at 05:14 PM.

Crikey Moses

Crikey Moses
    Your knowledge of colloquial English is impressive.

Hyperactive Member

FolderMatch - compares folders/files and finds duplicates. It's a shareware/trialware utility that's been around for many years - since Win95, I'd say.

http://www.foldermatch.com

Name:  fm_startpage.jpg
Views: 1102
Size:  24.0 KB

Name:  fm_comparefolders.jpg
Views: 1144
Size:  37.9 KB

First class stuff, didn't know it existed, very useful! Are you still keeping it updated? I think I could use it.
    Your development environment must have changed over the years from the days of Win95, 66mhz to 3.0ghz quad core I might imagine and the MS BASIC language version from QB or PBS to VBn to VB6 or similar?

It is fascinating how for many of us, our work environment and life has changed so much in all that time whilst the essential component that enables all of our creativity, the VB6 IDE and language has stayed exactly the same. The same place to work regardless of all.

This is a component for editing correspondence, among other types of text. It's almost finished. I've been working on it since 2009. : eek:

Sorry, the control text is in Portuguese.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hyperactive Member

First class stuff, didn't know it existed, very useful! Are you still keeping it updated? I think I could use it.
    Your development environment must have changed over the years from the days of Win95, 66mhz to 3.0ghz quad core I might imagine and the MS BASIC language version from QB or PBS to VBn to VB6 or similar?
    Thanks bro!

You're looking at a recent release - within the last year. The pace of future development will probably drop off however as I'm having to reenter the work force.

The first version was created using VB3

Quote Originally Posted by Episcopal View Post
    This is a component for editing correspondence, among other types of text. It's almost finished. I've been working on it since 2009. : eek:
    2009 isn't so bad, it is only 12 years! Is there an English language version? What do you see the editor being used for specifically, when completed? What was the working environment in that time?

What is your editor called, does it have a name and a link?
    Last edited by yereverluvinuncleber; Feb 25th, 2021 at 04:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AAraya View Post
    The first version was created using VB3
    Has the core functionality always been more or less the same? What was the development machine under win95, do you remember?

I remember using a directory differences tool under open VMS years ago and it was an essential component when I maintained the systems that controlled the chocolate factory at MARS back in the late 1990s. We used it to compare the folder structures of two different machines over DECnet.

Looks like your tool has been a good source of income over the years.
    Last edited by yereverluvinuncleber; Feb 25th, 2021 at 04:23 AM.

We are taking far too long on our projects. I remember when working on my project in QuickBasic v1.00 for DOS 5.00, even. and then now it's on the windows platform, then

Hyperactive Member

Has the core functionality always been more or less the same? What was the development machine under win95, do you remember?

I remember using a directory differences tool under open VMS years ago and it was an essential component when I maintained the systems that controlled the chocolate factory at MARS back in the late 1990s. We used it to compare the folder structures of two different machines over DECnet.

Looks like your tool has been a good source of income over the years.
    Initial development was either on a 386 or 486, can't recall which.

The core functionality of comparing folders has always been there but the implementation has evolved quite a bit to make it more scalable, performant, handle error conditions better, handle Unicode file/folder names, etc.... Additional related functionality has been added over the years.

Over the last 18 years, FolderMatch has provided a full time income for about 10 years and part time income for about 8. Before that it was basically pizza money. It's had a good run in the world of shareware.

Now with so much of the world moving away from desktop applications and the flood of quality freeware, it's harder.
    Last edited by AAraya; Feb 25th, 2021 at 09:17 AM.

2009 isn't so bad, it is only 12 years! Is there an English language version? What do you see the editor being used for specifically, when completed? What was the working environment in that time?

What is your editor called, does it have a name and a link?

When I started to develop this component I was young. Today I realize that I need to refactor the code, which should even take 2 weeks. This will make you faster. There are 12 more years of experience.

It's actually in English, it's just the content of the label and button that are in Portuguese.

This component is much more advanced than the windows wordpad. However, I still haven't worked on the zoom issue. But it is easy to implement. What was more difficult was to implement the insertion of rows and columns (before and after) in tables.

The component is called WordProcessor.

Wait the RichTextbox can be used as a word processor, hey dude

Wait the RichTextbox can be used as a word processor, hey dude
    As I said, the wordprocessor component can go beyond wordpad or richtextbox. It was customized.

Edit: However, it is inferior to Ms Word.

sure as hell could be. The Word app, has things like many features that you can't find else where, also at that. I am able to show graphics and tables, in my version of RichTextBox ActiveX control

Addicted Member

This is an application which I wrote some time ago for CAT (Computer Aided Transceiver) control for Amateur Radio use. It was written specifically for use with the Yaesu FT-891 & FT-991 transceivers. Frequency display, analog meter, status indicators and all controls are updated in real time. It is intended to be freeware. It has not as of yet been completely finished nor released because I had to move on to other things but it is about 85% complete and most functionality is there. The entire program is written in VB6. The interface is rendered at runtime using GDI+.

Name:  kiralinkscrn.jpg
Views: 1050
Size:  71.7 KB
    Last edited by SomeYguy; Mar 11th, 2021 at 01:20 PM.

Once again, a good interface. Are you intending to complete it when you have time? What did you code it on and how long has it taken you to get this far? The code for that meter and that signal analyser would be interesting to see.

Addicted Member

I do plan to finish but no timetable right now. I was forced to sell the radio (an FT-991A) which I was using to help write this. Written mostly on an HP/Compaq 7900 machine running Windows 7, and some parts written over lunch on a Microsoft Surface Go laptop running Windows 10.

The analog meter is pretty simple actually - the meter face is a picture (there are several to choose from in the program), and the pointer is simply rendered with rotation about a center axis using GDI+ with smoothing. The incoming signal from the radio is a variable value from 0 to 255, and the meter code calculates the correct pointer position from that value for the reading. There is a lookup table for fine calibration. One can also right-click on the meter face and it will toggle between analog and digital bar graph style meters.

The digital mode stuff at the bottom isn't mine. The engine for that is a free and very good OCX control from Here. It was an experiment in this program.

In a later version, I dumped the digi mode decoder and replaced it with an analog tuning scale, also rendered with GDI+
    Last edited by SomeYguy; Mar 11th, 2021 at 02:21 PM.

Righto, understood. Do you have any links for the in-progress version or will you only release when it is of usable-quality?

i guess he hasn't got any in-progress version, he may want to give. because it might cause him to loose copyright rights to his product

Addicted Member

It really isn't a product per se because it will be freeware as in no charge, no money, nada. I haven't released it yet because I don't feel that it is ready, and I haven't had time to work on it for awhile due to my day job in the fitness industry. And I no longer have the radio which I was using to test it with but I might buy another so that I can finish it at some point.....

Cool

Because I do become bored and have an inclination to do the thing that interests me more than the thing I should be doing... I have to have a side-project or two to distract me when I am bogged down (or bored).

I have done a lot with my main project, steamyDock but on occasion I find myself Docked-out. It is solved by some beer (good beer) and a snack or two and a diversion into something else.

In addition a side project or two is useful to have.

I have created a tool with a lot of help from a friend called fire call that is a peer to peer communications tool that encrypts text and drops files onto its UI. I use it to exchange data, text, chat and files between the two of us that work closely together.

It was written in .javascript and uses the old YWE framework to place web apps on the desktop. Everything that I type or send to him appears on his desktop within seconds, so it is only semi real time - but for us and the way we work it feels real time.

This is the .js version on my desktop, more advanced than the VB6 version in some respects, no form, transparent background.

I am knocking up a VB6 version, first of all the configuration utility, menus &c and then afterwards the main VB6 form that I am currently devising, I want it to be practical and look good, not always easy with a standard VB6 form!

This is the config utility from the .js version

This is the config utility from the windows version

I'm obviously still working on it but on the whole is it not too dissimilar - and that is the point entirely. A better font, some tweaking of the text and reading all that data from a configuration file on startup and it will start to look better and better.

I work at it from time to time without worrying about whether it functions or not, the idea is to test the migration from .js to VB6 and judge the workload, thence to VB.NET/TwinBasic/RADBasic, not decided which yet.

Some immunity from pending obsolescence is part of the reason.

Just waking this thread from the dead by the power invested in me as the OP.

This is what I am doing at the moment - until I become bored of course.
    Last edited by yereverluvinuncleber; Jun 5th, 2021 at 11:36 AM.

I have made some progress on that communication 'chat' utility that I am working on. The preferences/config screen read/validates and writes user configuration changes to a config file in the user appdata location - and the nice thing is now I have a template for any future preference/config forms that my VB6 programs need.

I have more or less created the interface for the tool and I'm now implementing the chat utility itself. The interface is my own style as always.

Right click and view image for full detail.

Shown on my laptop's small screen Windows desktop.

[Edit: Updated the screenshot to show the application/chat in action]
    [Edit: Updated the screenshot to show the application new buttons and lamps]
    Last edited by yereverluvinuncleber; Jun 12th, 2021 at 04:08 PM.

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast