Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 678910111219 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting the ball rolling. Which VB6 projects are you working on?

PowerPoster yereverluvinuncleber's Avatar

Re: Getting the ball rolling. Which VB6 projects are you working on?

If you hate that, you may hate this even more.

I have a mediaeval version of it too.

Code:
    [ img]http://www.vbforums.com/images/ieimages/2019/12/1.png[ /img]
    This bloody forum, keeps swapping the original image for a locally sourced version and then swallowing it whole wit the above **** path. This is my third attempt at reposting it.

Last edited by yereverluvinuncleber; Apr 27th, 2022 at 04:14 AM.
    https://github.com/yereverluvinunclebert

Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.

By the power invested in me, all the threads I start are battle free zones - no arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign.

Hey Yereverluvinuncleber, how do you get your images so large on the page? Everytime I upload someting they show as small, like my last picture set... Like every picture set....

PowerPoster

Perhaps I made wrong assumptions when you said "but for me, the UI is everything.".

Quote Originally Posted by yereverluvinuncleber View Post
    but for me, the UI is everything.
    I thought in a consumer/commercial product where to please the user and to make something visually appealing is a primary goal.
    More users that like the product means more sales, more income.

But of course my assumption was totally wrong.

Nobody can discuss tastes.

And I have no idea about the purpose of this project.

Well, it is still true that for me, the UI IS everything. However this is not a commercial and nor a consumer product and so the UI is not designed to appeal to, let's say, a type of bulk consumer.

It is a product designed for a specific niche of consumers and of course visually appealing to them and probably them alone - and possibly visually appalling to the rest.

Of course we can discuss tastes, we just don't necessarily like someone else's taste. Your last comment - If you can't understand the purpose of the project it probably just isn't designed for you. Sometimes if you don't 'get' something you can just forget it and move onto something else, that is what I do. There is so much I don't like and I simply ignore it. There is so much code in the code bank...

Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.

By the power invested in me, all the threads I start are battle free zones - no arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign.

Quote Originally Posted by -Corso-> View Post
    Hey Yereverluvinuncleber, how do you get your images so large on the page? Everytime I upload someting they show as small, like my last picture set... Like every picture set....
    I don't upload. I add the image to IMGUR then drop the picture into the chat using tags.

Sometimes, if you ask the forum tool to help upload or drop the image on the chat, the forum kindly eats it and swallows it whole, never to be seen again. You may have to go back and do it all again if it does.
    Last edited by yereverluvinuncleber; Apr 26th, 2022 at 06:39 PM.

PowerPoster

Of course we can discuss tastes
    People can discuss anything. The point is if it makes sense.

That we can't discuss tastes is a saying (actually the saying is "there's no accounting for taste"), and common sense.

How could someone argue with someone else that something is beautiful/ugly?

we just don't necessarily like someone else's taste. Your last comment - If you can't understand the purpose of the project it probably just isn't designed for you. Sometimes if you don't 'get' something you can just forget it and move onto something else, that is what I do.
    No doubt.

There is so much I don't like and I simply ignore it. There is so much code in the code bank...
    This is what I did so far.

What I don't like is when people say "this is good" not being honest. I prefer to tell the truth (at least what I think it is).
    I mean, if someone has a commercial goal with what he is doing.

With 8 pages of the ball rolling I think you have to accept some different opinion. So far I only remember dilettante that said something.

On a few words: if you are saying that the UI is so important to you, can't I suggest then that IMO you better get rid of the 3D look immediately?
    Why are you posting this in a public forum if you only want opinions of people that like it or has tastes similar to yours?

Quote Originally Posted by Eduardo- View Post
    Why are you posting this in a public forum if you only want opinions of people that like it or has tastes similar to yours?
    Can you please relax a bit and get off your high horse? You seem to becoming defensive. This is not an argument. I appreciate your position I am simply ignoring it for my own personal reasons.

You seem to misunderstand me so let me explain and appreciate whilst I am doing so I am not arguing with you.

I do not care (in a nice way) whether you dislike the design or not, it is not relevant to me, that is the whole point. You may continue to dislike it and I will be entirely happy with that - but I am not seeking your opinion nor your approval.

This isn't to say that I am arguing with you over your opinion as it is perfectly valid for most users. It is just that I personally am not interested in your opinion with regard to design -as this project is taking a different approach. You should not get upset at that nor waste any more of your time. Certainly please don't think I am being rude to you or disrespecting your artistic eye, as I am not.

When someone does something you don't like just let them get on with it.

To answer your response, I am posting here not for approval nor of the opinions of others, it suits me if some like it, and it suits me if some do not. In this case I am responding to your specific comments out of politeness - and showing you my approach - and my reason for posting is that I'm just following the title of the thread and showing what I am currently up to.

You might want to post what you are up to. I'd love to see that. Perhaps I could cast some judgement upon your creation and you could ignore my recommendations. I'd be happy with that too.

PowerPoster

Can you please relax a bit and get off your high horse? You seem to becoming defensive. This is not an argument. I appreciate your position I am simply ignoring it for my own personal reasons.

You seem to misunderstand me so let me explain and appreciate whilst I am doing so I am not arguing with you.

I do not care (in a nice way) whether you dislike the design or not, it is not relevant to me, that is the whole point. You may continue to dislike it and I will be entirely happy with that - but I am not seeking your opinion nor your approval.

This isn't to say that I am arguing with you over your opinion as it is perfectly valid for most users. It is just that I personally am not interested in your opinion with regard to design -as this project is taking a different approach. You should not get upset at that nor waste any more of your time. Certainly please don't think I am being rude to you or disrespecting your artistic eye, as I am not.

When someone does something you don't like just let them get on with it.

To answer your response, I am posting here not for approval nor of the opinions of others, it suits me if some like it, and it suits me if some do not. In this case I am responding to your specific comments out of politeness - and showing you my approach - and my reason for posting is that I'm just following the title of the thread and showing what I am currently up to.
    If you post something in a public forum it is not a private conversation with a single member. So if you don't care at all what I think, that's fine, but what I say is not just for you.

It does not mean that I want to make other members to think that your design is not good, no. It means that if other people is tempted to think that the 3D design is "cool" and up-to-date and that it sells, they are wrong (of course, it is my opinion).
    Being the VB6 default, some people could be tempted to think that it is still "good enough" in 2022. I would say that "I don't think so". BTW the simpler alternative is to use themed controls and a manifest.

Of course, it is not for you, it is just for others, because you don't care what I think and because you already know what you are doing.

You might want to post what you are up to. I'd love to see that. Perhaps I could cast some judgement upon your creation and you could ignore my recommendations. I'd be happy with that too.
    Possibly, but I need to finish what I'm doing.
    But it is nothing too special regarding UI, it has mainly just normal controls themed.

No, wrong. I DO "care" what you think, I do not discount it. I am sure it is correct for the majority of applications you might want to build. I accept it as being true for the vast bulk of people and users out there - I'm just going to ignore it. so, I value your opinion - but just I am not going to take it into account in relation to what I am doing there - as it is a deliberate implementation of that specific UI. That's it, all done. Let's move onto the next creation.

I look forward to seeing what you are doing.

PowerPoster

Yes, anyway I would like to know (and possibly understand) what is the purpose of your program.

So far, the idea that I have, is that it is a window to launch programs and that it has an Indiana Jones like interface.

It is a replacement for Windows execute screen, being the following the Spanish version of Windows 11 one:

Name:  WinExecute.png
Views: 708
Size:  10.3 KB

But I have the feeling that I must be missing something, or possibly misunderstanding.

Not here please Eduardo. This is turning the thread into a "what Eduardo likes and why he likes it" thread. This is not that thread.

Please open another thread for your own UI likes and dislikes when it comes to style and I will happily join it - but not here. This thread is being poisoned by an argument which I am not actually a part of and for which I do not have an opinion either way.

PowerPoster

Not here please Eduardo. This is turning the thread into a "what Eduardo likes and why he likes it" thread. This is not that thread.

Please open another thread for your own UI likes and dislikes when it comes to style and I will happily join it - but not here. This thread is being poisoned by an argument which I am not actually a part of and for which I do not have an opinion either way.
    And what does your problem with people disliking your UI has to do with my question about what is this program about?

Well, you are trying to be argumentative and failing and I don't want to be involved in an off topic discussion with you.

So, currently I am trying to ignore you on two levels.

PowerPoster

Well, you are trying to be argumentative and failing and I don't want to be involved in an off topic discussion with you.

So, currently I am trying to ignore you on two levels.
    I just asked what is the function of your program (what is it for, I guess it must have a purpose, it is for "something"). I'm not all-knowing. I need to ask things.

If that offends you so much, OK, what can I say?
    That doesn't seem normal to me, but it is YOUR problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Eduardo- View Post
    but it is YOUR problem.
    Yes, it is. That is my point, it is MY problem but you are trying to make it yours, so I will ignore you for the moment and describe what the program is for later when I have the time and the inclination - but not here on this thread.

I find a skill on this forum is identifying when someone wants a battle. So forgive me if I bow out without a fight as I have more pressing things to do. Also, forgive me if I misunderstood your intentions but I don't think I did!

PowerPoster

Yes, it is. That is my point, it is MY problem but you are trying to make it yours,
    No, you are making mine (and everybody else).
    I don't want to have any problem.
    When I said "your problem" I meant "unable to face critiques".

Having that Windows 2000 UI is, yes, in fact your problem (and I don't care/I'm not interested on it).

so I will ignore you for the moment and describe what the program is for later when I have the time and the inclination - but not here on this thread.
    Do whatever you want.

I find a skill on this forum is identifying when someone wants a battle.
    There is not need for much skill, it is clear who is trying to have a battle here.
    Someone that feels like is attacked with nuclear weapons because is unable to accept that some people won't like something he did.

So forgive me if I bow out without a fight as I have more pressing things to do. Also, forgive me if I misunderstood your intentions but I don't think I did!
    The only one that is trying to start a fight is you.
    OK, I'm out. Bye.

OK, cheerio. No fight to be had here.

Phew!

Quote Originally Posted by Episcopal View Post
    To refine an art (program) takes so much work.
    I'm trying to improve my component, and I never finish.... there's always a bug. I want to refine it to bring it to the public.

Edited: And you?

My coding ability is minimal at best. I am NOT a programmer as the definition holds. I am hobbyist with hobbyist-level skills. Therefore all my code is really just one giant bug. In amongst this giant bug I create sub-bugs. I fix those and in the process I find that I am learning.

A bug a day keeps the ridicule away - for when I eventually release it.

My current desktop showing three of my main VB6 applications. I feel I am slowly getting to a place where I could demonstrate my code and not be truly ashamed. I am perfecting the UI (to my own personal tastes) and implementing improvements as I discover how to do them.

I am just implementing drag and drop to and from various locations and rolling my own message box.

I was thinking of coming up with a name for the whole shebang, perhaps TempleOS?

bro I use vb.net now can you post a vb.net one pls
    Basic page
    Text

I have a working VB.NET version of the icon Settings tool, just the one on the right but I largely gave up on it one third of the way through. It is now so out-of-touch with the VB6 version that it would need a lot of work to bring it up to standard. I might do it one day but not yet as I am still teaching myself VB6.

None of the other programs are yet in VB.NET and I don't want to spend my remaining years in programming in VB.NET.

PowerPoster

gaouser, there's a VB.NET board and a VB.NET CodeBank, maybe you should be posting there if you want VB.NET projects, this is the VB6 board.

--
    I too refuse to spend my remaining years programming in .NET, and I'm only in my 30s

I have just completed my implementation of standard and OLE dragging/dropping within the utility I am currently fettling. Now working on automatically extracting installed program names from the registry and start menu.

Nothing to show visually. Working on a bug or feature per day and as a result of this slow but steady progress, this utility is finally 99% complete bar the testing, manifest building, packaging &c.

What are you up to chaps? Some images of your current projects would be interesting and might even boost our coding spirits. It would be really appreciated.

Despite the bad news in the world, the good news emanating from TwinBasic and RADBasic - progress on creating new successors to VB6. It feels rather nice to be involved in something that is, for the first time in decades, VB6 close to the cutting edge of technology - something completely new in the world of VB6. Who'd have thought it?

For a while I really thought about migrating all my tools to VB.NET, if only for 64bitness and future proofing. I'm rather pleased that I avoided that migration now.

Your photos please chaps, let us see what you are up to!
    Last edited by yereverluvinuncleber; Jun 15th, 2022 at 06:04 PM.

On VB6 I am tinkering with my projects, fixing tiny UI bugs and adding new functionality only when it can be achieved within 30mins. This is due to life being a bit full.

I can't quite believe it but someone has given me a programming job! Node.JS, javascript/typescript, VSC, Postgres SQL within the cryptocurrency sphere. 30 hours per week with decent cash all based upon them seeing my VB6 creations and my javascript widgets. How amazing is that?

I am keeping an eye on TwinBasic and RADBasic. Both projects seem to be achieving a level of backing and progress. TwinBasic seems to have slowed a little recently or perhaps that is just my inaccurate perception. It must be a hell of a job to keep yourself on the rails of a project that large. I am so impressed by the ability of these programmers to achieve something so huge.

Watching RADBasic, if you aren't a Patreon of RADBasic you won't have seen the progress so far. There is now a RADBasic team of four people, I believe they are backed by a company or at the least are in bed with the company to some degree. The RADBasic team say they have been working on a multi-pass compiler to catch forward declarations, variable scoping, stabilizing the core and testing. There is a beta release at the end of November.

Regardless, I have faith in both the projects to keep our code alive. One at least must succeed.

I don't have any other VB6 projects in the pipeline, I just need to finish those that I have started.

PowerPoster

The most important thing to me that I've been working on is something I call "EScripts." The "E" is for "The Expanse" and "Scripts" is because it works with the episode teleplays.

Once "perfected" it should be usable for other TV series as well.

There is a "loader" application that can download the teleplays published on a fan web site that offers them for any non-profit uses. Then it uses separately written "sanitizing scripts" of error correction search/replace/transform rules that attempt to clean up as many of the glaringly awful typos in the posted text material. Along the way it grabs still image frames posted for each episode. Text, still images, and a keyword dictionary are used to create a database.

The main application uses the database to produce views of the show: hierarchical by season, by subplots, a list by character/setting introduction, etc. on the left.

Another tab of the left pane opens keyword, name, and full text searches within the entire show, a season, or an episode. Drag/dropping text can initiate a search.

A selected episode's teleplay text and interstitial stills is displayed on the right. The right pane can be scrolled or highlight the searched text and perform first/next/previous/last navigation through the episode. Image display can be turned off to fit more text on-screen.

Most of the effort has gone into the sanitizing engine and index building logic. It all works but the sanitizing scripts can always stand enhancement. In working with it as a user I am also finding useful feature ideas for the main viewer program.

PowerPoster

Oh yeah, I've also been playing with a music and sound clips feature for the system now that more MP3s have been put online.

Crikey, love to see some images of that.

PowerPoster

You'd think RadBasic would at least *describe* the progress they're making, if they wanted more backers... they never posted any updates beyond the very, very simple Form editor demo with virtually no code, some equally primitive demos that looked like just regular VB files in a repo they said they'd post binaries of but never did...

From 6 months ago:

Code:
        Added support for creating new projects (at this moment only Standard EXE).
        Added support for adding, moving and removing controls in Form Designer.
        Added new Form Layout tab.
        Support for adding and removing forms in the project.
        Incremental compiler: By default RAD Basic compiler only compiles modified files.
        Added Rebuild all project menu item, to force regenerate all files and not use incremental compiler.
        Added Clean project menu item, to clean generated files and force regenerate all files and not use incremental compiler.
        Added pop-up menu in Project Explorer with most used actions.
    Then a single post since saying Beta 1 this month.

I don't know I'm starting to doubt they're really making much progress. Certainly not like twinBASIC, which already runs large, complex projects (e.g. my event tracer and task dialog class) and has already implemented a ton of new language features on top of complete VB6/VBA7x64 syntax support (minus GoSub lol). Really the only major thing missing from tB in terms of compatbility is complete control support (it supports most OCX controls when compiled, but only has partial support for creation and can't use them as .ctls yet) and nonmodal forms/MDI forms. Then some of the lesser used features of the app object and controls, and additional controls (mainly an issue for 64bit as 32bit common controls ocxs from both MS and Krool work).

I don't think they're in the same class at this point. One is real, one unfortunately appears to be vaporware.

--
    My current project is actually an advanced Search-by-Properties in tB... one limitation of VB6 is when using shell interfaces to read file properties, if the property handler is only 64bit, you can't read properties it handles-- so if you have Office 64bit, no xlsx/docx/etc properties. Kind of a full-featured app version of my structured queries demo and presenting results in IExplorerBrowser.

Name:  propsearch.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  48.1 KB
    Last edited by fafalone; Nov 13th, 2022 at 03:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fafalone View Post
    . . . has already implemented a ton of new language features on top of complete VB6/VBA7x64 syntax support (minus GoSub lol)]
    I hope this abomination and single procedure view in the editor never get implemented by Wayne or at least to be part of only Advanced Mega Compatibility Pack for Dummies Edition with tripled the price of Ultimate Edition :-))

Unfortunately these are not the realities of most commercially provided software. . .

cheers,
    </wqw>

PowerPoster

What's wrong with single procedure view? You've never had a supersized procedure in a large module where scrolling around it is so much easier that way? I don't use it that much... but it is helpful sometimes. As long as it's not the default

But yes, Death to GoSub!

Frenzied Member

On VB6 I am tinkering with my projects, fixing tiny UI bugs and adding new functionality only when it can be achieved within 30mins. This is due to life being a bit full.

I can't quite believe it but someone has given me a programming job! Node.JS, javascript/typescript, VSC, Postgres SQL within the cryptocurrency sphere. 30 hours per week with decent cash all based upon them seeing my VB6 creations and my javascript widgets. How amazing is that?

I am keeping an eye on TwinBasic and RADBasic. Both projects seem to be achieving a level of backing and progress. TwinBasic seems to have slowed a little recently or perhaps that is just my inaccurate perception. It must be a hell of a job to keep yourself on the rails of a project that large. I am so impressed by the ability of these programmers to achieve something so huge.

Watching RADBasic, if you aren't a Patreon of RADBasic you won't have seen the progress so far. There is now a RADBasic team of four people, I believe they are backed by a company or at the least are in bed with the company to some degree. The RADBasic team say they have been working on a multi-pass compiler to catch forward declarations, variable scoping, stabilizing the core and testing. There is a beta release at the end of November.

Regardless, I have faith in both the projects to keep our code alive. One at least must succeed.

I don't have any other VB6 projects in the pipeline, I just need to finish those that I have started.
    Quantitative change leads to qualitative change. I believe that in a few years we'll see a lot of amazing things coming out of the VB6 community. Therefore, we must live healthy, witness miracles, and enjoy the convenience that miracles bring us.

PowerPoster

"Death to GoSub" is sort of dumb. We don't have local procedure declarations within blocks, so that's all we have as the next best thing for writing procedures that share locally-scoped variables.

You only rarely need it and it has limitations, but GoSub in VB still has applications making it useful from time to time. It should be left deep in the toolbox but I see no reason to ditch it without a replacement.

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by fafalone View Post
    I don't know I'm starting to doubt they're really making much progress.

I don't think they're in the same class at this point. One is real, one unfortunately appears to be vaporware.
    I don't know anything about RADBasic, but from my gut feeling, I think they should have made a lot of progress.

In a few months, I may be able to compile my project in twinBasic, which makes me look forward to it.
    Last edited by SearchingDataOnly; Nov 13th, 2022 at 10:51 PM.

PowerPoster

They *should* have, to justify continuing to charge money... But in the 2y between the first videos and April of this year, they got to... "Adding support for creating new projects" and "Added support for adding, moving and removing controls in Form Designer." (if these just got added in 2022, their videos in 2020/2021 were heavily misleading-- they showed a control box and Form next to it and heavily implied they were showing demo projects made in radbasic... but I looked back and it they never *actually* showed adding a control, just resizing one, so it appears that at least between 2020-2021 all it could do it view forms/code), then that was 6 months ago, and since then, only 1 public tweet, saying Beta 1 in a month.

Which, ok, tB took the same approach of doing the compiler and language first, but didn't suggest otherwise, and could compile more than the most trivially simple code.

I really do hope the beta comes out next month and people can rub it my face how wrong I was, but imo it's just not looking good at this point.

I have a level of trust in Carles and what he wants to do. He has had some technical challenges, some financial challenges and a team to build. We are all overly optimistic from time to time but he looks as if he has managed to get those challenges sorted.

In any case, the discussion should be best diverted to the RADBasic thread.

Looking at it all positively, I mentioned to Olaf a few years ago that I felt VB6 had reached a sort of critical head-of-steam that meant that in the near future we would have a VB6 replacement in the works. We have two, possibly three of them now and I feel we should be incredibly thankful and supportive where possible.

Faf, I love your Search-by-Properties utility, I love even more, the way we are considering these TB programs to be more-or-less VB6 by default, TB just giving it the power to do what it could not previously. Do you remember the days when your car's bootlid had the simple word "turbo" just to distinguish it as being the better version? Perhaps TurBo is what TB really stands for?

You might want to add the extra moniker, so it becomes, Search-by-Properties (TurBo).

PowerPoster

Looking at it all positively, I mentioned to Olaf a few years ago that I felt VB6 had reached a sort of critical head-of-steam that meant that in the near future we would have a VB6 replacement in the works. We have two, possibly three of them now and I feel we should be incredibly thankful and supportive where possible.
    Aside from TwinBasic and RadBasic, what's the third?

Getting the ball rolling. Which VB6 projects are you working on?

I had to reinstall my win11 .... to my surprise my pc was not having problems, but a virus was erasing the partition of my HDs. Some HDs are recognized by the bios but they do not appear in the manager disk and device manager. So I'm not working on my projects...

Aside from TwinBasic and RadBasic, what's the third? MixLangz???

The third? Perhaps I am being overly optimistic but I always feel that right at the last moment, just when no-one is expecting it, 64bit OlafBasic will be announced to the world.

Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 678910111219 ... LastLast