Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 411121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting the ball rolling. Which VB6 projects are you working on?

Frenzied Member

Re: Getting the ball rolling. Which VB6 projects are you working on?

Here's my CodeViewer, which borrows two features from VSCode:

(1) VSCode-like breakpoint and code folding (see picture in #Post522)

(2) The color-blocks of the OLE_COLORs can be displayed(painted/drawn) in the code browser (see the picture below)

Note:
    The keywords highlighting algorithm comes from wqweto's BBCode example, thank you so much, wqweto.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by SearchingDataOnly; May 26th, 2023 at 03:38 AM.

Frenzied Member

My CodeViewer, VSCode-like breakpoints and code folding:
    Last edited by SearchingDataOnly; May 26th, 2023 at 03:16 AM.

Frenzied Member

Here is my Object-Browser.

The initial plan is:
    Click on the method in the grid row, ToolTip will appear with Code-Samples, click the three small dots on the right to enter the code debugging window. But those jobs may not be completed until next year
    Last edited by SearchingDataOnly; May 26th, 2023 at 03:51 AM.

PowerPoster yereverluvinuncleber's Avatar

Looks amazing! The name - DreamScript - I like that. Good to see some stuff from you SearchingData/dreamManor in the form of pictures. they don't tell the whole story but it makes it real. Impressed.
    https://github.com/yereverluvinunclebert

Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.

By the power invested in me, all the threads I start are battle free zones - no arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign.

Will you be creating a forms designer?

Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.

By the power invested in me, all the threads I start are battle free zones - no arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign.

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by yereverluvinuncleber View Post
    Will you be creating a forms designer?
    Of course. I'll take two days off and start working on Form-Designer the day after tomorrow.

In addition, I have some trouble surfing the Internet now, so I may not be able to reply to the information of the forum in time.

I removed a few posts that were off topic. This thread is about VB6 and only VB6. While there are other options that are getting somewhat compatible with VB6, that's a subject for a different thread.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by xiaoyao View Post
    twinbasic like vb.net,
    If that was true I wouldn't touch it with a 10' pole.

Quote Originally Posted by fafalone View Post
    If that was true I wouldn't touch it with a 10' pole.
    Actually, I strongly agree with what he says. Back when I was heavily testing it before there was a UI engine, it felt like I was using VB.Net far more than VB6. I mean classes had constructors, there was generics, an IntPtr equivalent, a 64 bit integer type, multiple classes in a single file, shorthand operators like +=. It might be compatible with VB6 but it has a lot of the things I love VB.Net for.
    Last edited by Niya; May 28th, 2023 at 11:14 AM.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Eve Online - Mining, Missions & Market Trading!

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    Actually, I strongly agree with what he says. Back when I was heavily testing it before there was a UI engine, it felt like I was using VB.Net far more than VB6. I mean classes had constructors, there was generics, an IntPtr equivalent, a 64 bit integer type, multiple classes in a single file, shorthand operators like +=. It might be compatible with VB6 but it has a lot of the things I love VB.Net for.
    Those are all "quality of life" features which are present in all modern languages.

PowerPoster

When I think of .NET, I think of more along the lines of giant frameworks, hostility towards lower level stuff, 'everything is a class!' (Even IntPtr... LongPtr isn't really equivalent; it's a raw value, there's no LongPtr.TryParse or LongPtr.MaxValue), managed code... not, like VanGoghGaming says, common features for any modern language.

The Idiot

some time ago we did have arguments about the future of TB and I was against the approach many wanted
    and it was to make it more like .net, so Im not 100% happy about it. sure its good that I get something new but its starting to get more and more strange.
    theres no feeling of basic, its not there except for the 100% back compatible. so Im sure .net people are happy.
    so Im not invested into it, don't have that nice eager feeling for something nice to use. I was before. now Im more curious what RadBasic can do, if it will ever get released.
    I rather have a limited language that IS basic than many features that makes it into something else. I mean, why choose TB if I need to code in non-basic language? I can download freebasic or something else.
    I was waiting for TB to create my next project. a game-editor, where I take knowledge of my 5 year DEV of the game-engine I have been doing. but it seems I will start it in VB6, as TB is not there yet to run my game.

Let's see what you are building with VB6, let us see an image of your game editor. Images lads, images!

PowerPoster

If the pure want to implement VB6 function, that is not enough. Multiple lines of text, all kinds of new expressions.
    Even Microsoft can't implement C# and. NET function synchronization, so finally gave up VB.NET, only C# development.

What function the compiler can achieve limits his development prospects. TWINBASIC theory is to use the principle of VB.NET to achieve. So his project files can't be saved directly by VB6. Visualstudio is supposed to be able to import VB6 projects, but without such a versatile implementation, many may fail to import.

PowerPoster

TWINBASIC compiler in the end what is the principle of implementation,
    twinBASIC_win64.dll 4MB,twinBASIC_win32.dll 4MB,
    twinBASIC_ide_win32.dll 1.5MB
    The new version mainly changes these three files and is updated almost weekly
    main.js
    websocketWorker.js
    liveBackupWorker.js

new webview sample project,
    08:18:59.681
    Executing 'Main'...
    08:18:59.681(compile error: Unrecognized symbol 'Main')
    Last edited by xiaoyao; May 28th, 2023 at 07:21 PM.

PowerPoster

Components list coming soon!
    Other controls OCX and COM DLLS can be referenced, but cannot be displayed, perhaps under development.
    For now, you must add ordinary coM references to the approriate ActiveX type library,and the components will then appear here in the form designer automatically.

Attachment 187724
    Attachment 187725

PowerPoster

FOR MAKE COM DLL,CAN'T run in vb6 ide,make exe run it ok

Code:
     Dim testObject As MyTestLibraryProject.MyTestLibrary
     Set testObject = New MyTestLibrary

MsgBox testObject.MultiplyByTen(123456)

PowerPoster

baka has an interesting philosophy where he seems really excited about getting his game running in tB, but won't disclose what missing features or bugs are preventing that, and just intends to wait on other people eventually finding all the same bugs. Wayne is very responsive to prioritizing bugs preventing programs from working for people actively trying to get them to, so it could happen a lot sooner I think

TWINBASIC compiler in the end what is the principle of implementation,
    twinBASIC_win64.dll 4MB,twinBASIC_win32.dll 4MB,
    twinBASIC_ide_win32.dll 1.5MB
    The new version mainly changes these three files and is updated almost weekly
    main.js
    websocketWorker.js
    liveBackupWorker.js

new webview sample project,
    08:18:59.681
    Executing 'Main'...
    08:18:59.681(compile error: Unrecognized symbol 'Main')
    You can't rely on whether a single file changes, or you'll miss something, and corrupt something somehow. I just checked the most recent beta, all the WebView2 samples are working fine.

Or maybe you mean the WebView2 Control demo? In which case, yes, it's a control, you can't run a control by itself, you have to build it into a DLL/OCX then place it on a Form in a regular project. Can never understand what you're talking about.

PowerPoster

now i khnow,it's ocx control,but i can't add to vb6 control tools
    webview_win32.ocx, 6.7MB

i change something,for create object in activex dll,use for vba

There's a lot of other code that I don't need, but it would be nice if you could create a WEBVIEW project with minimal code
    Last edited by xiaoyao; May 28th, 2023 at 10:46 PM.

PowerPoster

Yes, "Sample 0 - WebView2 Examples" has 3 different examples of using a WebView browser in standard exes.

---

For the Monaco Control demo, did you select the "Register to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" option (and run as admin when compiling)? That's required for VB6 to be able to use it.

It works fine for me in VB6:

PowerPoster

only two sample
    Sample 0. WebView2 Examples
    Sample 9. ActiveX Control WebView2 + Monaco

PowerPoster

The control 'VSFlexGrid1' crashed during instantiation.
    Check if the ActiveX control requires Data Execution Prevention (DEP) to be turned off.
    lf the control is not compatible with DEP, you must turn DEP off in the
    IDE Settings AND also in the project settings.

Twinbasic allows you to set third-party OCX control properties in a form
    This function is good, so you have a lot of controls, if. NET controls can also set properties here, so there are thousands of controls
    But he can generate a form of DLL, and can generate dozens of K of standard DLL, a little wizard

Assuming he is VB.NET source code, debugging with VB.NET dynamic compilation function, and then compilation of EXE, with a form to be attached to a 1000KB or so of the LIB or runtime static compilation in it.

Some time ago testing, found a lot of problems, a stream of standard DLL can run for a while can not run, the latest version is much more stable.
    Now the main problem is the generation of COM DLL and OCX control, in VB6 IDE can not run, to compile generated EXE can be called normally.

Anyway, this is a great product that does most of what we want. Generate 64-bit program, compatible with VB6 old project, if still can put. NET UI controls are also wrapped in for use with TWINBASIC.
    Plus you can directly write some simple code VB.NET, JS code mixed programming, that is very convenient.

PowerPoster

only two sample
    Sample 0. WebView2 Examples
    Sample 9. ActiveX Control WebView2 + Monaco
    Sample 0 has 3 different samples in it.

Now the main problem is the generation of COM DLL and OCX control, in VB6 IDE can not run, to compile generated EXE can be called normally.
    I haven't had any problems at all with standard DLLs. Some controls have problems but many can run... if one isn't working, make a bug report.

This whole conversation should really continue in the tB thread.

To get this thread rolling again back to what VB6 projects we are working on, here is a picture of a portion of my desktop, just a quarter.

This screenshot contains the dieselpunk Xwidgets plus just the one VB6 'widget'. All the Xwidgets in javascript are being updated to bring them up to scratch, then I will archive them and then set about recreating one more of them, a more complicated one, in VB6 + RC5/Cairo. Then see if the same is possible in TB.

PowerPoster

run vb6, the system is Ubuntu 22.04, Wine version 8.0, a simple test, in addition to the window size can not be adjusted with the mouse, function parameters prompt is not normal, no other problems found, should be able to compile and run some not too complex programs

PowerPoster

That's neat, didn't know the IDE itself could run under WINE. They've made a lot of progress over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by fafalone View Post
    That's neat, didn't know the IDE itself could run under WINE. They've made a lot of progress over the years.
    It also now runs under ReactOS - with some of the usual VB6 installation shoe-horning and complete with reliability/stability issues!
    Regardless it works!

PowerPoster

If twinbasic is not based on webview, it may run under ReactOS. But for us, it's not as good as one computer running two operating systems at the same time. Virtual machine can also be used, a virtual machine to specify a graphics card, that is not very good?

Mini update: VB6 & Cairo, Monster Autobuilders.
    If any of you lot play Turn Based Roguelikes, you may know they suffer from lack of graphics, and or, a lack of diversity of graphics. Most are built with Ascii characters representing a monster or a thing.
    I've recently updated Photoshop scripts (which output hand drawn monster parts) and the Photoshop layering effects (I don't need to physically shade body parts anymore, work time saved 95%, aka musculature). Add to that, I've streamlined the VB+Cairo code to hunt through directories and dump whatever it finds into Ccollections. It then re-titles said collections to physical names, Head, Left Leg, Right Arm for example. Then it writes each randomly chosen part to surfaces, to which they are constructed, colourized, resized and whatnotted.
    End result, thousands of uniquely shaped and coloured variants of the original, (so long as I draw other body part sections to allow it to choose).
    Here is a mini sample of some monsters. There are a few double-ups if you look closely, and many singles.

Oh, and above in green, that's the name of the game being made. It should at least give you an idea of what your character is, (her selectable form).
    Last edited by -Corso->; Jun 15th, 2023 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by -Corso-> View Post
    Mini update: VB6 & Cairo, Monster Autobuilders.
    Superb game characters. Never encountered "Roguelikes".

It's a pretty popular genre, but not many 'good' or great games.
    TOME: This one is free, https://te4.org/
    ADOM: This is also free, https://www.adom.de/home/downloads.html
    Elona: Also free, https://elona.fandom.com/f/p/4400000000000044431

They have an enormous following, and there are paid versions on Steam too.
    They are sooo old though... Good for thought provoking strategy and monster-mashing.

Cairo and VB can seriously update the game benchmark.

Frenzied Member

Recently, I made a FormViewer that can open VB6-Forms(Frm/Frx) in three different compatibility modes:

(1) CompatibleMode_None (use ms-controls)
    (2) CompatibleMode_VBCCR (automatically convert all ms-controls to Krool's VBCCR)
    (3) CompatibleMode_RC6 (automatically convert all ms-controls to RC6Widgets)

Here's what it looks like in CompatibleMode_None mode:
    Last edited by SearchingDataOnly; Jun 30th, 2023 at 10:46 PM.

Frenzied Member

In CompatibleMode_VBCCR, all ms-controls will be automatically converted to Krool's VBCCR. (VBCCR is amazing, thank you so much, Krool)

Here's what it looks like in CompatibleMode_VBCCR mode:
    (VBCCR can set the control-background to transparent)
    Last edited by SearchingDataOnly; Jun 30th, 2023 at 10:45 PM.

Frenzied Member

In CompatibleMode_RC6, all ms-controls will be automatically converted to Olaf's RC6Widgets. (RC6 is amazing, thank you so much, Olaf)

In addition, My FormViewer will provide some special features specifically for RC6, such as automatically generating RC6WidgetForm-Classes based on traditional VB6-Forms.

RC6Widgets is an excellent UI-lib developed based on advanced concepts, but it is used in a completely different way from traditional VB-Controls, because RC6Widgets are used entirely as classes. My FormViewer will make RC6Widgets easier to learn and use, to be precise, make it more in line with the traditional usage habits of VB6ers.

Here's what it looks like in CompatibleMode_RC6 mode:
    (RC6Widgets can set the control-background to transparent)
    Last edited by SearchingDataOnly; Jun 30th, 2023 at 10:47 PM.

Frenzied Member

Some more complex VB-Forms can also be opened in My FormViewer. But right now I haven't found a way to extract all the resources from the FRX files, so the display of some complex VB-Forms is incomplete.
    Last edited by SearchingDataOnly; Jun 30th, 2023 at 10:37 PM.

Frenzied Member

In the future, my FormViewer may add more CompatibleModes, such as CompatibleMode_Html. In addition, it will provide a better MenuEditor.

PowerPoster

VB6 CONTROLS,RC6Widgets,VBCCR,YOU have three ul controls,
    if you add .net ui,web ui(button,div,html table),you will have 5 types ui list

Hyperactive Member

Good job SearchingDataOnly hallucinating

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by SearchingDataOnly View Post
    Some more complex VB-Forms can also be opened in My FormViewer. But right now I haven't found a way to extract all the resources from the FRX files, so the display of some complex VB-Forms is incomplete.
    Looking good... hopefully the project explorer will have a view to support nested folders without limiting to same file type? That's been driving us all nuts for 25 years.

Honestly impressed SDO, this is the sort of work, we as a team should have been churning out for years, or is it decades? SDO, don't be put off by any naysayers. What anyone starts and then places into open source can form the basis of new works yet to come.

To those naysayers: It is easier to criticise than it is to do. It is far more noble to make something happen than it is to sit around talking yourself into not doing anything at all.

Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 411121314151617 ... LastLast