Page 1 of 20 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting the ball rolling. Which VB6 projects are you working on?

PowerPoster yereverluvinuncleber's Avatar

Getting the ball rolling. Which VB6 projects are you working on?

There have been some discussions about the benefits of using VB6 over VB.NET and vice versa which just piqued my interest into what we are all actually doing with VB6. So I thought I'd just try to test the water on the current state of VB6 and its usage in real life.

So, if you wouldn't mind posting here, could you please let the community know what you are currently working on using VB6 in any form or manner whatsoever, especially if it is interesting and so we can view the continued potential of this language that we use.

I know what my projects are and I'd be happy to post mine but I am hoping someone else can get the ball rolling, I don't want this to be my thread alone.

To qualify, the project must have VB6 at the core but can use other components of course but it must be a recognisable VB6 project at its heart. A brief description as you like and as many pictures as you can muster. I generally host my images at imgur.com. A link to a project or a download link is also perfectly acceptable. Shameless plugging is fine, at least on this thread.

A picture speaks a thousand words and all posts of your project must include at least a picture (of the project) and a project name. Some notes on the project status, state of completion, technical problems you have encountered, what you have learnt would all be grist to our mill. If we received lots of replies on a specific project then we may take those to another thread (I ask for understanding on the part of the moderators).

So, please humour me in this thread and show me what you are working on, big or small, fat or thin, tall or short. It might also be good to see your working environment. In a short while I will post an image of one of my mini-projects that I am intending to complete but I hope someone else will assist me in getting the ball rolling.

Not trying to replace the code bank, I just thought it might be a nice way to see just what is going now in VB6 land.

PS. We could even create one for VB.NET a little later.

THREAD RULES:

1. An image per post per application
    2. A name to each application
    3. A link, if such exists - optional
    4. Summary description about each app.
    5. Description of the environment and tools used to develop (eg Win11, Dell omnibrain 12ghz)
    Last edited by yereverluvinuncleber; Feb 15th, 2021 at 05:50 AM.

Fanatic Member

Re: Getting the ball rolling. Which VB6 projects are you working on?

I have many programs out there. Including Lens & Screen designer for the Cinema Industry. Plus a couple of free programs aimed at Hospital/Student Radio.

Below is an image of the DJ version. All VB6 but includes a CodeJock report control and other CodeJock controls to get Unicode. The Black buttons are mine.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Please post shots of the others, all will be well-received. However, makes my little effort seem quite pathetic...

The one I am working on at the moment is a mediaeval replacement for the Windows Run Command box.

I coded the first one in QB64 and I'm just converting to VB6, the first built as a programming exercise for my son (12) on the BASIC language using a simple DOS-like IDE, the second is to demonstrate a more advanced Windows IDE in the form of VB6.

Originally, coded on a Dell core2duo laptop running win7 and testing an old HP Pavilion laptop with Win10.

The reason for creating it looking like that? Well, why not? Hints of Monty Python and the Holy Grail perhaps?

- and it is certainly better and more fun than:

I don't have any links to it yet but I'll be sure to post some when it is complete.
    Last edited by yereverluvinuncleber; Feb 13th, 2021 at 08:24 AM.

That's impressive, are you still working on improving it? I post the youtube link here too so that people can see it in action.

Superb interface!
    Last edited by yereverluvinuncleber; Feb 13th, 2021 at 08:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The trick View Post
    Yes, im working on 2 version with an imporved composer and new synthesizers.
    @trick - is that a commercial application that you market?

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Fanatic Member

As requested, here is a screenshot of LensCalc.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

What's the background to LensCalc? Is that commercial? What hardware did you develop that using and when? Is it well-used?

Fanatic Member

Until I retired I was the Chief engineer at Omnex Pro-Film in Manchester even though I live in Essex. Quite early on I realised the need for an accurate tool to calculate projection rake, porthole position, optimum screen size and, of course, Lens sizes and types. When we started to move away from film and go Digital, we also needed to know light requirements as well. It is free.

I started development around 1985 on an Atari ST. Then VBDos then VB3, VB5 and finally VB6. I have personally never had a website. So the program has always just passed hand to hand among colleagues and competition. This is actually the first time I've ever made public my work.

Is it not in the codebank here? If not, then it certainly should be.

I'm making specialized Antivirus utilities, which are working without (blacklist) databases and doesn't require an update.
    Most known (and the largest):

1. HiJackThis Fork

Name:  HiJackThis.jpg
Views: 3304
Size:  58.4 KB

Open source: https://github.com/dragokas/hijackthis
    Tool is used on major CIS forums, including Dr.Web and Kaspersky Club, helping to detect & cure Unknown malware. Help is free of charge.

2. ClearLNK and Check Browsers' LNK - to cure infected shortcuts (like .lnk)

Name:  CC.jpg
Views: 2576
Size:  27.8 KB

Closed source.
    Contains a really lot of algorithms, though, all 3 tools work for ~ 10 sec.
    Description: https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewd...d/81-clearlnk/
    --
    Most of my tools are console or has no interface. I'm concentrating mainly on back-end.
    Malware analyst, VirusNet developer, HiJackThis+ author || my CodeBank works

Quote Originally Posted by Dragokas View Post
    I'm making specialized Antivirus utilities, which are working without (blacklist) databases and doesn't require an update.
    Most known (and the largest):

1. HiJackThis Fork
    Wow, crikey! Heavy and serious stuff there. So it uses a different method to determine potential malware infection. What made you choose VB6 as the platform for your development? Was the previous code by Trend Micro in VB6 too? I remember using it approx. 12-15 years ago.

What system do you use to code?

HiJackThis doesn't detect malware infection directly. It lists/decode a lot of places in the system most commonly used by malware with whitelisting only Microsoft records.
    It is up to you to choose is it a legit program component or malware. It is the main difference from the classic antivirus. Analogue of HJT are: UVs, FRST.

Trend Micro is not a developer. It is an owner who bought HJT from Merijn Bellecom.
    VB6 was an initial language.
    Since I already knew VBA (my old job), it was easy to start learn VB6 and update HJT.

I must say VB6 was a good choice for its time (and for nowadays as well):
    - Nice speed, comparable to C++
    - Easy implicit type conversion
    - Wide range of OS Version support (from Win 2000 to 10) without need to deal with various Visual Studio versions to produce correct exe, installing VC++ dependency on the end etc.

Nevertheless, I had a lot of trouble as well, due to x86 only / ANSI specific of runtime functions / controls.
    Difficulties included:
    - full support of x64 platform (to access 64-bit objects from x86 application)
    - unicode support for all functions (for me, file / registry)
    - unicode letters on controls (for translation support)
    - full portability (which VB6 did just fine in the end)

Today most of the work is done (excluding, controls).
    I did unicode analogs of functions like Open/Put/Read Line/Environ/Dir/..., Wrapper for almost all WinAPI registry functions. Something you can see on codebank (outdated).
    StringBuilder fork, XMLParser fork, Portable PCRE RegExp wrapper also born from this project.

In general, it was a quite exciting experience, because most of security things, I faced, nobody did before in VB6, and somewhere, I felt as a pathfinder for any language.
    I'd like to give appreciation for help to guys and girls on this forum.

@dragokas - I see this is open source. Does you have commercial clients that pay a fee for use?

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

szlamany, the project doesn't have a payment model.
    Please, ask other questions in PM. I don't want to hijack the topic with my only case.

@dragokas, I've asked everyone that same question so far. Taking an impartial poll.

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Addicted Member

I still use VB6 for the development of three commercial applications, and several "in-house" utilities. I'm not a full-time developer, and have to be involved in many aspects of the business, I prefer to stick with what I know and feel comfortable with, instead of spending a lot of time to learn a new language. VB6 still does the job, and even if there is an "old-fashioned" toolbar instead of a flash ribbon, the majority of my clients are happy with the KISS approach.

The primary commercial app allows the user to replicate an in-store environment, visualizing products on shelves, a so-called planogram. This can be schematic, using colored blocks, or using actual product images, as in the attached screenshot. The software shows a simplified "flat front view", but actually calculates the whole setting in 3D. Beyond the visualization, there is a statistical module, that takes historical sales data, trend information, and combines that with a basic modelling of supply (logistics) and demand (consumers) to predict the performance of the shelf layout. Various analytical features allow the user to optimize the layout for inventory levels, financial results, etc.

Attachment 180222

As some of you have seen from recent posts, I'm currently improving the Unicode support, which comes with some challenges.

Addicted Member

Hmm, it's always a surprise if the picture is displayed in line, or as a link to an attachment...

Addicted Member

Name:  RSP.jpg
Views: 2343
Size:  80.2 KB

In a VB forum in my country there is a thread that each user places a screenshot of the system screen. Interesting this thread, congratulations on the initiative, Yereverluvinuncleber.

Fanatic Member

I have never developed commercial software through vb. What I develop are small toys that assist me in my usual work, similar to patches of commercial programs, and automated operations

My most successful thing is to develop an automatic learning software. Find the beginning and end of web video courseware through screenshots and clicked automatically. This frees up my hands and completes boring thought learning.Of course, these are not allowed and can only be used myself.
    Last edited by xxdoc123; Feb 14th, 2021 at 10:37 PM.

PowerPoster

Most recently I completed a project that is used for security it has two programs written in VB6 and one written in VB.Net the three work together with a backend db. The recent work was just a few changes to the existing project which I created a few years ago.

I do not do much in the way of new projects with VB6. I do still use it to maintain older projects and to do some in house stuff but find myself using VB.Net C# and others more often lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Erwin69 View Post
    I still use VB6 for the development of three commercial applications,
    That's impressive and unexpected too. What is it called, this 'planomatic' software you create? Is there a link? What do you use to develop it (o/s & hardware)?

Quote Originally Posted by xxdoc123 View Post
    What I develop are small toys that assist me in my usual work, similar to patches of commercial programs, and automated operations.
    xxdoc123, a picture is worth a thousand words, and an image is required on this thread, so please show your desktop and a few snapshots of your utilities, big or small, each is equal in our eyes to any commercial product. We just want to see VB6 in operations and real-life usage today, so post a piccie!
    Last edited by yereverluvinuncleber; Feb 15th, 2021 at 05:10 AM. Reason: typos

Quote Originally Posted by DataMiser View Post
    Most recently I completed a project that is used for security it has two programs written in VB6 and one written in VB.Net the three work together with a backend db. The recent work was just a few changes to the existing project which I created a few years ago.

I do not do much in the way of new projects with VB6. I do still use it to maintain older projects and to do some in house stuff but find myself using VB.Net C# and others more often lately.
    Still, DataMiser, we'd like to see the VB6 frontends and the .NET (if we really have to ) and a summary description, pictures mandatory! Name them too and a link! Thanks in advance.

Fanatic Member

I also still use VB6 for 4 Commercial App (more than 1000 clients)
    with high level functiunalities all in VB6 (OCR, QRCode, document managment, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by Thierry69 View Post
    I also still use VB6 for 4 Commercial App (more than 1000 clients)
    with high level functiunalities all in VB6 (OCR, QRCode, document managment, etc)
    Pictures! or it didn't happen!

I've added some thread rules to keep the thread back on track:

THREAD RULES:

1. An image per post per application
    2. A name to each application
    3. A link, if such exists - optional
    4. Summary description about each app.
    5. Description of the environment and tools used to develop (eg Win11, Dell omnibrain 12ghz)

Fanatic Member

I have been, for a few years, in my spare time, developing an image processing program.
    The program is called PhotoModularFX and it is portable. (donationware) [VBFORUM]
    It is unconventional in that it consists of a set of modules (effects) that can be linked together via their inputs/outputs.
    Each input/output channel represents a 2D surface (of a value between 0-1).
    These modules are of various categories and can perform functions from the simplest and most trivial to the most complex.
    Take a look at the List of linkable modules.

Each module can have its own tweakable parameters.
    Linking them together we obtain customizable photo effects. (These are called "projects")
    List of included projects.

OLD screenshot:

The program could have also been called "visual" photo-effects-creator. Because the process of creating custom effects is done in a visual way. Having an overall vision (through graphical representation) of the flow of the "operations" that are carried out on the various channels (of the image).

Example of the output of "Stippling2" module:

Example of some effects created:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nJyhVQEBfg

Example of how to create/edit a project.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7jtCgbn4eo

Webpage

For specific questions better to continue in its dedicated forum

If I broke the rules of the thread I am sorry and will edit this post. But I think that what I have put here is the minimum information that is easily available about the program.

No, you followed the rules better than many! No apologies needed. Once again an amazing tool with an original approach and interface.

I am sure I can find a use for that tool, I am a graphics designer using photoshop CS ver 8.0 as my main tool and it all comes to hand intuitively as it were, but with no defined flow, despite the occasional use of macros. A tool like yours that can automate a process could be very, very useful. This thread is turning out to be most useful as well as informative.
    Last edited by yereverluvinuncleber; Feb 15th, 2021 at 11:00 AM.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by yereverluvinuncleber View Post
    That's impressive and unexpected too. What is it called, this 'planomatic' software you create? Is there a link? What do you use to develop it (o/s & hardware)?
    In our industry we're calling it planogramming software (for visualization of shelf layouts) or floorplanning software (for visualization of total store layouts). More info can be found on the websites:

https:\\retailshelfplanner.com and https:\\retailfloorplanner.com.

As I mentioned before, the technical side is just a small part of my overall job, so I prefer to keep things simple. After hearing about challenges to get VB6 installed on post-XP Windows versions, I decided to set up a virtual machine, using Oracle VM VirtualBox. Once Microsoft pulled the plug on XP-support, I disconnected the VM from the Internet, so there is no risk of viruses, hacks, etc. I run that on a strong laptop (Intel i9, 64GB RAM, NVIDIA Geforce RTX 2060, 2x 1TB M.2 SSD, Win10 Pro) with two exernal 27"screens, so that I can efficiently run multiple apps (and even VM's) at the same time, search the Internet, etc. Hardware is a bit overkill, but it will keep me happy for a couple of years, so that I don't have to set up a new kit too often.

PowerPoster

Still, DataMiser, we'd like to see the VB6 frontends and the .NET (if we really have to ) and a summary description, pictures mandatory! Name them too and a link! Thanks in advance.
    Nah, way to much trouble

Nah, way to much trouble
    Then it never happened, you never wrote any software and we don't believe that you ever did. By the way, it is "too much trubble" (sic).

QuickDirector SX and Windows SX, also
    I have a huge free products range, of computer software in which you can download using any kind of 64-Bit Web Browser. Also there is coming a Social Networking section that I am making on my Website...

|Ambra Productions Inc. | The Black Sun Society | The Black Shield | Ambra College | Church of the Black Sun | Ambra Productions Inc's Homepage | Boomtick Event's Venues: Ambar Nightclub, Jack Rabbit Slim's, Villa Nightclub and Lucy's Bar | Pasta Ambra | Fish Feast Company | Wallet Wizard | Ambrose Liquor | Ambar Tavern | Ambra University |

Do you wish to do unpaid work for me??? If so, the PM me on this Forum, and then we can get to work, programming for the future of computers go by the name of ThEiMp. This is my ghost writers name. Also my nickname, means that I am: The Imperial of the Technology Industry, so then to make it really short, I just then wrote: The Imp, which is where I get the nickname from...

The Idiot

right now Im busy with the game I have created.
    creating a game is not just coding, but also lots of graphics, adding life, objects, map, footholds etc.
    and for this game I also have multiple "tools" that I made to make things faster, a item-editor, a compiler for the sounds effect, databases and such, a map-creator (will generate a png in layers of a map from a .xml data) and so on.
    so, the work is to update the game-engine, and add features to the tools or create a new tool when needed.

when things slows down, I will work on the next game-project, that is different from this one, so I will make a "game-editor" that will be used for future projects, so instead of creating a new game-engine each time, we will use this game-editor.

the game runs on direct2d and directsound.

PowerPoster

Then it never happened, you never wrote any software and we don't believe that you ever did. By the way, it is "too much trubble" (sic).
    Whatever, just don't see any reason to take the time to create and upload images or give any more details. I get paid for coding. I do not get paid to cater to your whims.

I used to get paid for m coding and design, along with my IT tech stuff, before my accident with the phone and router hub in the department which saw me nearly dead, even. and I don't want to talk about it again, even so!!
    I have a huge free products range, of computer software in which you can download using any kind of 64-Bit Web Browser. Also there is coming a Social Networking section that I am making on my Website...

|Ambra Productions Inc. | The Black Sun Society | The Black Shield | Ambra College | Church of the Black Sun | Ambra Productions Inc's Homepage | Boomtick Event's Venues: Ambar Nightclub, Jack Rabbit Slim's, Villa Nightclub and Lucy's Bar | Pasta Ambra | Fish Feast Company | Wallet Wizard | Ambrose Liquor | Ambar Tavern | Ambra University |

Do you wish to do unpaid work for me??? If so, the PM me on this Forum, and then we can get to work, programming for the future of computers go by the name of ThEiMp. This is my ghost writers name. Also my nickname, means that I am: The Imperial of the Technology Industry, so then to make it really short, I just then wrote: The Imp, which is where I get the nickname from...

Whatever, just don't see any reason to take the time to create and upload images or give any more details. I get paid for coding. I do not get paid to cater to your whims.
    Then why bother posting at all, just to foster discord?, what a strange person you must be. Are you a petulant teen?

Page 1 of 20 123411 ... LastLast