Thread: NullReferenceException when adding list

NullReferenceException when adding list

Hello,

I am trying to add something to a list, but I get a System.NullReferenceException: 'Object reference not set to an instance of an object', this is my code:
    Code:
    Module Module1
        Structure tList
            Dim sgName As String
            Dim sgTest As String
            Dim stModule As List(Of tModule)
        End Structure

Structure tModule
            Public sgName As String
            Public sgTest As String
        End Structure
        Sub Main()
            Dim l_stModule As New tModule
            Dim l_stList As New tList

l_stModule.sgName = "Module"
            l_stModule.sgTest = "Test"

l_stList.stModule.Add(l_stModule)
        End Sub
    End Module
    I don't understand how to solve this.

Re: NullReferenceException when adding list

replace
    Code:
    Dim stModule As List(Of tModule)
    by

Code:
    Dim stModule As new List(Of tModule)
    The best friend of any programmer is a search engine
    "Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better. Don't wish for less problems, wish for more skills. Don't wish for less challenges, wish for more wisdom" (J. Rohn)
    “They did not know it was impossible so they did it” (Mark Twain)

Welcome to VBForums

Initially a List(of ...) is not set to anything (it is not even an empty list), so you need to initialise it appropriately by assigning an empty list to it.

You can do that either after you create it:
    Code:
            Dim l_stList As New tList
            l_stList.stModule = New List(of tModule)
    ...or possibly within the declaration itself:
    Code:
            Dim stModule As New List(Of tModule)

edit: it seems I typed slowly!

Hello, thanks to both of you for the warm and fast welcome.

I understand. If initialise the list within the declaration VS show the error BC30795 / Non-shared member in a Structure cannot be declared 'New'. As the list will be used several times I find it easier to use the solution within the declaration - is it safe/okay to use the Shared declaration?

Well it means that something on the line on which occurred us null or nothing. Your best bet is to examine each object from left to right when it happens. From experience, I can tell right off the bat what the problem is... you've got somehting that isn't initialized before you use it. Declaring an object doesn't make it exist magically. You need to create it first. Even if it is inside a structure.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Quote Originally Posted by IronJosie View Post
    Hello, thanks to both of you for the warm and fast welcome.

I understand. If initialise the list within the declaration VS show the error BC30795 / Non-shared member in a Structure cannot be declared 'New'. As the list will be used several times I find it easier to use the solution within the declaration - is it safe/okay to use the Shared declaration?
    Ah, yes I forgot that...Shared means the list will be shared by all instances of the structure, if you have only one instance, it can be ok else you may have some suprise. It should be better to replace the structure by a class

Code:
    public class tList
          Dim sgName As String
          Dim sgTest As String
          Dim stModule As  new List(Of tModule)
     End class

public class tModule
          Public sgName As String
          Public sgTest As String
    End class
    Last edited by Delaney; Feb 11th, 2021 at 05:44 PM.
    The best friend of any programmer is a search engine
    "Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better. Don't wish for less problems, wish for more skills. Don't wish for less challenges, wish for more wisdom" (J. Rohn)
    “They did not know it was impossible so they did it” (Mark Twain)

Well, the learning curve coming from VB pretty steep, but I like it. The error form my first post was a reduction to point out the issues that I had. I am trying to male my way from there and I have updated my code to this:
    Code:
    Module Module1
        Class clList
            Public sgNameList As String
            Public sgTestList As String
            Public lsModule As New List(Of clModule)
        End Class

Class clModule
            Public sgName As String
            Public sgTest As String
        End Class

Sub Main()
            Dim l_clList As New clList
            'Dim l_cModule As New cModule

For i16Loop As Integer = 1 To 10
                Dim l_clModule As New clModule With {
                    .sgName = "Name " & i16Loop,
                    .sgTest = "Test " & i16Loop
                }
                l_clList.lsModule.Add(l_clModule)
            Next
        End Sub
    End Module
    If I understand it correctly, I have to create a new instance of l_clModule per loop iteration, otherwise the reference in the list is still to the old instance. Is the implementation quite right, or is there something that can be done better?

Move the classes outside the module. You can leave them in the same file, or put each in its own file, but they shouldn't be inside the module.

In .NET, a Module IS a class...essentially. It's just a class where every member is shared, but you don't have to declare them as shared. This was done to make a module act kind of like a module in VB6. Instead of a module, you could just create a class and make every member shared, but then you'd have to use the class name as well as the member name:

Module1.Main()

rather than just plain:

Main()

Because you used a Module, you don't need to use Module1. Had you used a class with all shared members, then you would need to use the class name. Therefore, modules are somewhat easier than using a class with all shared members....but their the same thing. They only work differently so that VB.NET looks more like VB6.

Still, the bottom line is that a Module is a class, so you have defined two classes within a separate class. There are times when that is the right thing to do, but it usually isn't. In this case, it would be better not to do so. Thus, move the classes out of the module.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Another point is that structures are MUCH less desirable in .NET. You should only use a structure if there are only a few members (like two or three), and they are all value types (integer, double, etc.). If you have a member that is a reference type (EVERYTYHING else), then a class is the right thing to use instead of a structure.

For this reason, I have rarely used structures. They have some interesting characteristics when you use them in an array such that they don't always behave the way you expect them to if you don't give it much thought. They don't behave the way classes do in the same situation, while classes behave the way you expect them to. So, you usually want to use classes over structures.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Thank you very much for the detailled explanation!