Thread: [RESOLVED] New Printer (Recommendation needed)

Fanatic Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] New Printer (Recommendation needed)

I've got an old HP Deskjet 500C that has served me well for many a year (maybe 40+). I print rarely. The biggest problem I've had is when I really need to print the inkjet cartridges are dry.

I'm now in a situation where I have to submit a number of required documents to probate court.

Am looking for a reasonably priced, good print quality, laser printer (because quality). The little I know about them, no ink drying, but the possibility of cartridge unavailability because of time runout.

Also wondering whether a combo, printer, copier, fax/scan may be the way to go -- I have an old scanner, also rarely used. If scanner included Abby OCR -- not trial or water down version -- that would be a plus, but without OK.

Any suggestions on one their happy / unhappy with?

King of sapila

Re: New Printer (Recommendation needed)

I can tell you from my experience, from the multinational company I work for.
    We are mostly handling Ricoh, Panasonic and HP printers.
    Ricoh, no, just no, Panasonic more reliable but will break eventually, HP....They just work. And that goes against brands that we are official retailers in Greece.
    I've also heard good things about Epson but we only have Epson thermal printers in use, it's not what you ask but anyhow, I estimate having around, errr 40-50 thermals and I can't recall one that broke yet (I'm 6 years to that company) but it may have slipped one or two as I wasn't really paid attention .
    Also, you say no INK dry and you ask for a laser printer? Little confusing over there but if you only do documents then a Black and white HP laser will last forever. If you want color then things change as color printers are very expensive and the peripherals tend to finish at a higher pace and are more expensive. I would better be looking for an Epson Inkjet color for that use. If anyhow you just need color laser, we had an HP for over 10 years that printer around 5-10.000 pages weekly and never broke, but we deprecated it due to expensive peripherals and struck a deal with a exoteric retailer for prints.

Hope it helps.
    Last edited by sapator; Feb 8th, 2021 at 11:33 PM.
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

I bought this Brother B&W Laser printer a few years back when it was close to 50 dollars.... It still works fine.

https://www.amazon.com/Brother-HL-L2...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
    Wi-fi went down for five minutes, so I had to talk to my family....They seem like nice people.

Fanatic Member

Thanks both for input.
    Mr. Jones had looked at that Brother prior post, but because of price was wondering.
    Your owning it gives helps a bunch.

Brother printers are the way to go these days. They are inexpensive and reliable, and the toner costs far less than ink cartridges on a cost-per-page basis. If you have a network of computers, get a network capable model.

I've got a Brother duplex printer and haven't had issues with it once the 4 years I've been using it so far. The price seems to have doubled since March of last year though, which is a bummer: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0763WDSYZ/
    Currently using VS 2015 Enterprise on Win10 Enterprise x64.

CodeBank: All ThreadsColors ComboBoxFading & Gradient FormMoveItemListBox/MoveItemListViewMultilineListBoxMenuButtonToolStripCheckBoxStart with Windows

I've used a Brother A4/photo colour inkjet/scanner for over 7 years - no problems except the cost of genuine Brother inkjet cartridges!
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)