Thread: Adding Webview2 Control To The Toolbox

Hyperactive Member

Adding Webview2 Control To The Toolbox

Hi I am having some confusion trying to figure out which webview2 file/control to add to the toolbox.. I have already installed it via nuget and everything went fine with this but I am trying to follow along to a youtube video of a guy who was using the beta version and it is now on a stable release.

I am given a bunch of choices and not sure which one I might need in my situation so I am hoping someone can help me figure it out.
    Going into the toolbox and Choose Item.., then browse, then look into my project folder where I have installed the nuget package for it.

There are 3 folders inside the main package install folder "Microsoft.Web.WebView2.1.0.705.50"
    build, lib, and runtimes I am not sure which folder I require..
    I would assume one of the runtimes but just wanted to make sure..

and in those folders more folders/files, first which folder do I need for this?
    Last edited by DreamWarrior77; Feb 5th, 2021 at 10:27 PM.

Re: Adding Webview2 Control To The Toolbox

You are looking for the DLL file that contains the type definition for the WebView2 control. My guess would be lib, which is short for "library"/"libraries". You can find it easily enough by trial and error though. If you do that and there are multiple, THEN would be the time to ask and to specify what files there are that contain it and where they are located.

Hyperactive Member

Nevermind I figured it out it is the net45 version as I am using win forms so it would not be the net core version but I am not sure what net45 stands for but I think it is correct since the net core version will not load into my win forms project. Thanks, it loads fine now and is in my toolbox.
    Last edited by DreamWarrior77; Feb 5th, 2021 at 11:23 PM.

Using WinForms does not preclude targeting .NET Core. .NET Core 3.1 supported VB WinForms, although it was still incomplete support. .NET 5.0 is still missing one or two things but supports almost everything in VB WinForms that .NET Framework does.

"net45" is short for .NET Framework 4.5.