Thread: [RESOLVED] Ghost shortcut

Resolved [RESOLVED] Ghost shortcut

Hi,
    Windows 10 machine. I have a shortcut on my desktop which I'm trying to delete
    because I don't know where it came from and it's a shortcut to nothing.

I hover my cursor over it and it gives the name of the shortcut and 0 Bytes.

If I double click it, nothing happens. If I right-click it I get the usual options but most of the option do anything. If I select delete an error message appears...
    Could not find this item
    This is no longer located in C:\(+ location). Verify the item's location and try again.
    I can't find a location, I don't recognise the name of the item addressed. (Updater)

I don't recall doing anything recently connected with updating anything, which didn't work.

Poppa
    Along with the sunshine there has to be a little rain sometime.

PowerPoster

Re: Ghost shortcut

Assuming Windows 10 still has a functional command prompt (I don't use W10), navigate to your desktop folder from the command prompt and try to delete the file from the command prompt.

King of sapila

I don't have W10... Correction, I do have w10 on a laptop but it's out of juice and I can't find a cable.
    So I will try to suggest something close to w7 .
    On 7 the desktop location is usually at C:\Users\%userprofile%\Desktop , I'm thinking something similar will be on W10 if not the same.
    From what I've read it's either C:\Users\Public\Desktop c:\%userprofile%\Desktop.
    So search those locations and try to delete the file over there. If it does not delete fully (shift+delete), try to send it to recycle bin first and delete it from there.
    If nothing happens, try properties and try to get it to point to an existing file. presumably not on the C: Root as you may have permission issues there, just point to a non system folder. Then try to delete it (the shortcut, not the file).
    If you want to delete the file from command prompt as OptionBase1 suggested , the extension of the file is .lnk .
    Also , I have seen TONS of issues in W10 at the office with privileges on deleting something. My fast solution is to do a search on "command" in the search bar , find command or command prompt, can't remember the exact name right now , right click and select "Run as administrator" , that will make sure that you have sufficient permission on deleting a file, assuming that you are the PC administrator.
    But for starters try finding the desktop folder and delete.
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

Since you didn't mention it, I'm going to guess the file name is something like desktop.ini or Thumbs.db

Those little puppies show up when YOU UNcheck the HIDE protected OS files
    Wi-fi went down for five minutes, so I had to talk to my family....They seem like nice people.

Thanks guys,

When I re-booted the machine this morning the 'Ghost' was no longer there.
    I don't understand why, it didn't go when I re-booted yesterday !

Poppa

PS.

I've marked this thread as resolved, it isn't really... It resolved itself.

Pop
    Along with the sunshine there has to be a little rain sometime.