Thread: SQLite+RC5

SQLite+RC5

Due to same complex (correlated) settings that are required to be saved on disk and because I wasn't satisfied with methods based on PropertyBag or UDT array I intend to use a small SQLite database for this purpose. I know that RC5 has already some functionalities included in the library but it is a bit unclear to me if the exe file deployment requires some additional files to be exported or installed on the server (from RC5 or ODBC Driver). I mention that we do not have to affect the registry in that machine but we have rights to copy and paste files in folders. Is it feasible a solution based on SQLite ? At least for the sake of stability and speed.
    "VB code is practically pseudocode" - Tanner Helland
    "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all" - Matt Groening

PowerPoster

Re: SQLite+RC5

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Duta View Post
    Due to same complex (correlated) settings that are required to be saved on disk and because I wasn't satisfied with methods based on PropertyBag or UDT array I intend to use a small SQLite database for this purpose. I know that RC5 has already some functionalities included in the library but it is a bit unclear to me if the exe file deployment requires some additional files to be exported or installed on the server (from RC5 or ODBC Driver). I mention that we do not have to affect the registry in that machine but we have rights to copy and paste files in folders. Is it feasible a solution based on SQLite ? At least for the sake of stability and speed.
    The SQLite-support via RC5 is stable and fast.

As for deployment of RC5-libs...:
    - no extra ODBC-Dll installation is needed
    - instead the SQLite-engine itself is contained in vb_cairo_sqlite.dll

So, if you ship your App (e.g. in a Zip-Folder-Structure) like this:
    \MyApp\MyApp.exe
    \MyApp\Bin\vbRichClient5.dll
    \MyApp\Bin\vb_cairo_sqlite.dll
    \MyApp\Bin\DirectCOM.dll

Then you can do XCopy-deployment (by just unpacking that Zip into a target-folder), as long as you have:
    - put one of the "regfree-support" *.bas modules into your MyApp.exe project
    - and instantiate any RC5-Object via New_c or Cairo (instead of using VBs own New Keyword)

HTH

Olaf

Re: SQLite+RC5

Thank you, Olaf. I remember that in the past I was able to use some functions from RC5 without having to deploy vbRichClient5.dll. I only used your regfree procedure in the exe file but in this case I think there are certain dependencies between them. I hoped fewer files were needed but perhaps a simplification will be possible in the future.
    "VB code is practically pseudocode" - Tanner Helland
    "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all" - Matt Groening