Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Windows 7 and Windows 10 compile differences.

The Idiot

Re: Windows 7 and Windows 10 compile differences.

u really think Im an noob?
    the game is following the monitor refresh rate, so if u have 60hz, it will render 60 frames per second.
    theres a formula to adjust the speed depending on frame rate.
    theres no vb.timer, its a loop that uses direct2d calls to "wait" for the right moment to draw to the screen.
    ita a multi layered 2D platform rpg game.
    the most heavy part of the game, with lots of animations going on, are still just eating a couple of % of the CPU.

all the example u posted are "basic", and I avoid strings.
    I use bitmap fonts and use my own textdraw function using Direct2d.
    most parameters are binary data, this to avoid string. and the string I use are all basic ascii.
    70% of the string and pre-compiled into a data-file that is loaded at startup.
    the user can only input 1 time, and its his name and its a controlled input-box that I created that allows only basic ascii.

also,
    the game is working 100% when I compile in windows 7. u seens to ignore this facts.
    I didnt post because I have issue with my game, but because when I compile in windows 10 some users reports bugs.

This has nothing to do with being a noob, but with being arrogant.

You asked a question, others do suggestion while consulting their crystal ball.
    And you ignore every suggestion, because you seem to know the answer.
    Every reply you give is the same, you know because you know.

Even the suggestion of The Trick to attach a crash dump is being ignored.

No one ignores the fact that your compiled version from W7 doesn't give problems, but when compiled on W10 gives problems with some W7 users, you ignore every suggestion made by the other members.

Quote Originally Posted by baka View Post
    the game is following the monitor refresh rate, so if u have 60hz, it will render 60 frames per second.
    theres a formula to adjust the speed depending on frame rate.
    theres no vb.timer, its a loop that uses direct2d calls to "wait" for the right moment to draw to the screen.
    ita a multi layered 2D platform rpg game.
    the most heavy part of the game, with lots of animations going on, are still just eating a couple of % of the CPU.

all the example u posted are "basic", and I avoid strings.
    I use bitmap fonts and use my own textdraw function using Direct2d.
    most parameters are binary data, this to avoid string. and the string I use are all basic ascii.
    70% of the string and pre-compiled into a data-file that is loaded at startup.
    the user can only input 1 time, and its his name and its a controlled input-box that I created that allows only basic ascii.

also,
    the game is working 100% when I compile in windows 7. u seens to ignore this facts.
    I didnt post because I have issue with my game, but because when I compile in windows 10 some users reports bugs.
    Build a version on Windows 10, build a version from the same source on Windows 7 and do a binary file compare. If they come out the same then they are the same, if there are differences then at least you can prove it is the OS you are building on that is causing the issue. If that is the case perhaps the differences could be used to identify exactly what is different.

The Idiot

theres no way to make a crash dump.
    theres no issue with the game. I dont get any errors.

u think Im just an idiot that dont know anything.
    most of the post you try to find issue with the game, when really the issue is the VB6 in windows 10.
    u fail to see that and instead focus on the game and how I make it.
    but if the game is working 100% it means theres nothing wrong with it. but u keep going around and around the same stuff.

maybe u need to accept that you dont know. so stop trying.
    I dont know what the hell is going on. and I have lots of knowledge of VB6.

I hoped that someone did have experience with this, and it seems some users did.
    ghosting, is one. issue that can not be explained.

stop trying to fix my game, theres nothing wrong with it.
    I didnt post here to get help, I posted to reveal that something is going on between 7 & 10 compiled version.
    if u dont agree. fine. but stop trying to find bugs on my game that works for me without any issues.

Did you read the last 2 replies?

The Idiot

PlausiblyDamp
    I already posted,
    the size are identical, to the byte.
    so, the exe created in windows 7 and the exe created in windows 10 where 100% the same in size.

but the windows 10 exe, did create bugs for certain people.
    when they got the windows 7 exe, it fixed all the bugs for those.

this is not the first time this happened.
    last year happened the same, irregular bugs, strange things happened, I thought, OMG my game is all buggy, what happen, how could it be like that? until I discovered that the exe compiled in windows 7 worked without issues.

(I live in 2 places, one place I have a windows 10 computer and something I work on my game there as well)

PowerPoster

Absolutely, 100%, and provably so, when you write this:

PlausiblyDamp
    I already posted,
    when asked if you've done a file comparison. That's the equivalent of saying two books must be identical if they have the same number of pages.

I'm out. Good luck.

The Idiot

that doesnt help.
    if there was a problem with locale (I dont even read in string, I read in binary) It would affect the game.
    u can not push a issue that only happens when u compile in windows 10.
    what about windows 7? magically it works?

there need to be a reason why the windows 10 compiled exe is messed up, but not the windows 7 compiled one.
    and it can not be string handling, locale, binary array conversions. that would affect both!

that is why u are not helping, u try to find an error when theres none.

PlausiblyDamp
    I already posted,
    so, the exe created in windows 7 and the exe created in windows 10 where 100% the same in size.

but the windows 10 exe, did create bugs for certain people.
    when they got the windows 7 exe, it fixed all the bugs for those.

this is not the first time this happened.
    last year happened the same, irregular bugs, strange things happened, I thought, OMG my game is all buggy, what happen, how could it be like that? until I discovered that the exe compiled in windows 7 worked without issues.

(I live in 2 places, one place I have a windows 10 computer and something I work on my game there as well)
    So two files with the same size are identical? Wow, I should be able to save on disk space by deleting all but one file for each unique file size!

Fanatic Member

You are waiting for Vsync, I imagine the function does a thread sleep() until the next VSYNc arrives, but what if at driver level, those problematics customers has his vsync = off, so games try to output the maximun FPS it can. And maybe that can affect your game.

The problem, is that you didn't published any syntom like a YT VIDEO showing the issue. you didn't answer my questions about if it dissapear mid play, or is absolute dissapeared from start to end.

And please, use FC /B to compare both binaries, the one done in win7 against the other done in win 10

The Idiot

of course the content is different. how can otherwise the 2 exe act different?
    I thought it was obvious.
    but the filesize, is the same, so content wise they both contain the entire-game.
    also, even if the data is different, theres no easy way to understand that.

that doesnt help.
    if there was a problem with locale (I dont even read in string, I read in binary) It would affect the game.
    u can not push a issue that only happens when u compile in windows 10.
    what about windows 7? magically it works?

there need to be a reason why the windows 10 compiled exe is messed up, but not the windows 7 compiled one.
    and it can not be string handling, locale, binary array conversions. that would affect both!

that is why u are not helping, u try to find an error when theres none.
    I never said anything about strings or data conversions.
    You need to read more carefully and stop make accusations to people trying to help.

The only suggestion I made was put in a lot of error handling. When using debug levels for you error handlers you can ask users with problems to increase the debug level so more detail can be logged. So maybe this can give you a clue.
    Last edited by Arnoutdv; Feb 2nd, 2021 at 03:07 PM.

Fanatic Member

And please, use FC /B to compare both binaries, the one done in win7 against the other done in win 10

And just ignore the compile time/date stamp surelly inside the EXE header differences.

even if the data is different, theres no easy way to understand that.
    Using debuggers like OllyDbg
    Examining crash dumps as suggested by The Trick

of course the content is different. how can otherwise the 2 exe act different?
    I thought it was obvious.
    but the filesize, is the same, so content wise they both contain the entire-game.
    also, even if the data is different, theres no easy way to understand that.
    Simple concepts...

You say they are different but haven't actually checked to prove this or identify what those differences are. So how do you know they are different? Belief is something for religion, not debugging and trouble shooting.

Do a file comparison, find what is different. The differences can be used to identify the problem. It could be linking against different versions of a file, it could be a meta data from a tlb or similar, without even attempting to find out what is different you are doing nothing to actually figure out the problem.

Fanatic Member

baka FILESIZE in compiled EXE from VB6 acts BLOCKY, it don't increase o reduces just byte by byte as you increase just one extra line of code....

Filesize in compiled files are more like in chunks, include you can have a bit of wasted unused space at the end of the exe.

So, that happens, change a bit the source, just a tiny bit, and it will remain the same filesize

The Idiot

theres no crash! as I wrote.
    the game is not crashing. how many times do I need to repeat saying that?

THERES NO CRASH

THE GAME IS WORKING WITHOUT ANY ISSUE.

I can play for hours and it works well. its stable, very stable.

thousands have downloaded it and it works perfectly.

Fanatic Member

THERES NO CRASH

it is freeware?

Baka ... I've seen complaints of this kind ..... come here ... if you compress using WinRAR and observe that the CRC32 code is different then there must be something different ... understand?

Edit: Are you using access to a database?
    Last edited by Episcopal; Feb 2nd, 2021 at 03:28 PM.

THERES NO CRASH

Quote Originally Posted by baka from 1st post
    I have noticed that if I compile my project in Windows 10, some people are reporting strange bugs with my game. like items vanish, crashes (when attempting to open a text that doesnt exist in the list)
    but if I compile in Windows 7, it seems to work for everybody.
    is there any differences between Windows 7 and 10 that can cause this?
    its like the memory allocation is all scrambled and parameters gets added in the wrong place for some users.
    You can play it without errors for hours on your computer, but some people experience problems on their computer.
    Ask them for crash dump, add error logging so they can increase the debug level and send reports.

Geesh, of course you can't fix things if it's running stable on your computer, but it is about the other people, isn't it??

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoutdv
    This has nothing to do with being a noob, but with being arrogant.

You asked a question, others do suggestion while consulting their crystal ball.
    And you ignore every suggestion, because you seem to know the answer.
    ++
    Unsubscribe.

I already proposed crash analysis.

As a result, it turned out that OP disorientated us in the initial question, so the dump will gives us nothing (much likely), because - read this post. Crash - is not reason, but a result of consequences.

After that, I kindly explained how to make log levels.
    Result = ignoring, continuing saying **** about - "I have no problems", "I don't need help", "I'm smart, all fools."

So, in such case what's the whole point of your topic - saying not to use Windows 10, because you are so experienced developer,
    that you can't (don't want) to find a reason even if you know exactly which set of functions could be problematic ?

Nobody will follow your suggestion in 1st post, bacause it's like "This program is working bad in Windows, try to use Linux instead".
    No sense in the whole topic at all, if you can't (don't want) to find the reason, and 10x times repeat the same ****.

I really would like to be more restrained, but you are talking nonsense / no constructive at all.
    Unsub.
    Malware analyst, VirusNet developer, HiJackThis+ author || my CodeBank works

The Idiot

can you read at all?
    I say:

THERES NO CRASH.

the game is working 100%

THE GAME IS WORKING FOR "ALL" PEOPLE THAT DOWNLOADED THE GAME. ALL! ALL!

stop assuming things that you dont know anything about.

(I asked for something too hard for u to understand, u just confuse yourself, not helping me at all, it just mess things up, please stop)
    Last edited by baka; Feb 2nd, 2021 at 05:18 PM.

PowerPoster

can you read at all?
    I say:

THERES NO CRASH.

the game is working 100%

THE GAME IS WORKING FOR "ALL" PEOPLE THAT DOWNLOADED THE GAME. ALL! ALL!

stop assuming things that you dont know anything about.

(I asked for something too hard for u to understand, u just confuse yourself, not helping me at all, it just mess things up, please stop)
    I think we can all read. I can read this post:

I have noticed that if I compile my project in Windows 10, some people are reporting strange bugs with my game. like items vanish, crashes (when attempting to open a text that doesnt exist in the list)
    but if I compile in Windows 7, it seems to work for everybody.
    is there any differences between Windows 7 and 10 that can cause this?
    its like the memory allocation is all scrambled and parameters gets added in the wrong place for some users.

The Idiot

I tried that approach, but it went all wrong. its impossible to have a proper discussion about the "real" issue here when members here want to help me make my game better, give advice how to make it, string handling, locale etc.
    but I dont need help with my game, its already working, its not a broken product.

more interesting would be:
    - is there anything in windows 10 that could do different?
    you dont have any idea? its ok, me either. but please stop trying to find errors when theres not.

but you keep coming back and back and back that I need to change my game. I dont need to do anything since its working well.
    its stable.

- whats going on with the compiled exe in windows 10?
    not sure, could be the VB6 program is corrupted, could be some API that in not linking well, a special case that could mess things up for this game and its not compiling well in windows 10. its unknown.

so now I don't care anymore, I don't have energy to answer the same question over and over that has nothing to do with the issue.

theres some easy solutions and thats to:
    - not use windows 10
    - reinstall VB6 and see if it can work
    - try another windows 10 and see if its the same.
    - or, keep using windows 7 since thats my main computer anyway.

Fanatic Member

The only difference compiling in two different develop environment, is the LINKER, linking to DLLs, linking to OCX, it is the only thing that can change.

But, you are not using sockets., socket presented two model signatures pre WINXP vs LATEST WINXP/VISTA so on. So, at that time, VB programs compiled to work with the newer .OCX don't work with the .OCX found in old win98, winNT, etc. When any signature don't match (dll / ocx / activeX in general), you will get a nice VB6 error box poping up!, saying just that.

Now, when new versions of DLL and OCX., etc. are compiled, it is set to compile again in retro-compatible way, (no reissuing a new signature), so it will work backward compatible. The only thing alowed in new versiones is to add functions at the end of the exported functions list, and to change the behaviour of the function, you they can't alter the ammount of parameters, and the main usage of parameters, what they can improve is internal rules of the existing functions, nothing more.

The linker, lookup the functions indexes (ordinal values) for each DECLARE line in your code, or any call in your code, and stamp in the EXE convertion "External function name" -> "Ordinal function number inside the library", so your code speed up because it don't need to resolve the function name each time to run the program. So hardcoding in exe the ordinal.

Now these problems, if compiled linking to a new version of the dll not retro-compatible, that exe will fail if run in win7.

Right now, I don't remeber if it will throw error msgbox at all, I know, IT WILL DO if attempting to call ACTIVEX dll or exe and there is one with a different signature installed, but with ORIGINAL win32 DLL system, I think the _stdCall won't return an error.

If the parameter count is the same, I think VB core will run the function, wrongfully but will run it, if the parameter count don't match, it wil ruing the thread STACK pointer, and the next assembler RET opcode, won't return it properly to your VB code.

but, your WIN10 environment where compile it, must be using a non retro-compatible DLL version of the DLL you are using. For all this trouble to happen.

And you will be able to see this, just BINARY FILE COMPARE the TWO EXE, that ordinal numbers just are different.

But this issue will be .... compiled in win10 won't work in win7 at all. Or will work but a an exact same point it will fail somehow, but CONSISTENT, NOT RAMDONLY.... CONSISTENT.

But sure you do know already how the library dinamic linking work, right?, it is quite old school!.
    Last edited by flyguille; Feb 2nd, 2021 at 06:19 PM.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by flyguille View Post
    The only difference compiling in two different develop environment, is the LINKER, linking to DLLs, linking to OCX, it is the only thing that can change.
    VB6 installs its own Link.exe so unless you've replaced it with another the one installed gets used.

And no, it has nothing to do with DLLs or OCXs, which by definition are not linked.

PowerPoster

baka, why did you make another compilation from the Windows 10 machine if you already had one version of the game for download (the one made from the Windows 7 machine)?

Did you make any change, a very minor one that you consider harmless (and to be ignored) with that update?

I suggest to copy the source files from one computer to a folder in the other, and compare the two sources, including typelibs. Use Winmerge for the comparison, don't do it by hand (and file sizes alone are meaningless).

If you believe that the problem is Windows 10 and you are so convinced about that that you don't want to try anything, then OK. But you are placing here this "information" without proof. At least the facts that you have provided are not convincing for most of us (or any).

I hoped that someone did have experience with this, and it seems some users did.
    As I see it, the only thing people here agree is that different component versions on the compiling machine can cause problems.

What is this alleged "ghosting" and what are the steps to reproduce it?

PS: we need to be scientific here, guesses and imagination are not very usefull for making conclusions.

Edit: Winmerge is very easy to use and useful, you can compare all files within two folders in one shot.

Fanatic Member

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    VB6 installs its own Link.exe so unless you've replaced it with another the one installed gets used.

And no, it has nothing to do with DLLs or OCXs, which by definition are not linked.
    I didn't say that the linker itself is changed, I said it can be linking to different versions non retro-compatible DLLs for your code.

By example:

In Windows 10 it brings its OWN VB6runtime DLL, when you install the VB6 and SP6 in win10, the O.S. will deny to downgrade the runtime dll at SysWOW64. So, your win10 compile EXE is linked to the new version of Win10 VB runtime.

While in win7 it will work with the runtime dll placed by the SP6 or maybe a later windows update. But win10 has its own.

And that is one difference, between both development environments.

Now, normally it won't make a difference running the game, but if your code is doing obscuring, non standard things...., well... I wish luck!.
    Last edited by flyguille; Feb 3rd, 2021 at 08:41 AM.

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by PlausiblyDamp View Post
    Build a version on Windows 10, build a version from the same source on Windows 7 and do a binary file compare. If they come out the same then they are the same, if there are differences then at least you can prove it is the OS you are building on that is causing the issue. If that is the case perhaps the differences could be used to identify exactly what is different.
    ????

...if do a compile of my major application, and then do the same compile again, the resulting executables are wildly different!
    No idea why though!

Also, there are quite a few bugs in VB, sometimes out of the blue it forgets about Conditional-Compilation settings or in the resulting executable some things just don't work. A recompile fixes this, so I never bothered.

Fanatic Member

Quote Originally Posted by tubus View Post
    ????

...if do a compile of my major application, and then do the same compile again, the resulting executables are wildly different!
    No idea why though!

Also, there are quite a few bugs in VB, sometimes out of the blue it forgets about Conditional-Compilation settings or in the resulting executable some things just don't work. A recompile fixes this, so I never bothered.
    Computation in general is DETERMINISTIC, it is weird that you get DIFFERENT results for the same source code, and the same environment. Also if compiling an activeX component and don't check the "maintain binary compatibility", etc,, the SIGNATURE hashes which is a ID constant will be reissued, so all those bytes will be changed (re-signed).

There is things that changes within the EXE, list header timestamps (so any CRC or HASH check will be different), but the code and linkage and addresses must be the same for the same source and the same environment.

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by flyguille View Post
    Computation in general is DETERMINISTIC, it is weird that you get DIFFERENT results for the same source code, and the same environment. Also if compiling an activeX component and don't check the "maintain binary compatibility", etc,, the SIGNATURE hashes which is a ID constant will be reissued, so all those bytes will be changed (re-signed).

There is things that changes within the EXE, list header timestamps (so any CRC or HASH check will be different), but the code and linkage and addresses must be the same for the same source and the same environment.
    ... well, yes, that's what I would *think* too, but -alas- it isn't!
    And by wildly I mean wildly. And not only at certain places, but throughout the executable.
    The application is nothing special, medium sized (~70'000 statements, 16 forms, 2 modules, 4 classes, 4 UCs, few OCXs)

One thing is special though: because I can't for the life of me install SP6 into my (legit) copy of VisualStudio, I use NanoVB6 which has SP6 included.
    May be that's the culprit!

Something clearly is *NOT SO DETERMINISTIC* here!

I don't see how you can say that the VB environments are the same on the 3 computers because they aren't. VB (and everything else for that matter) uses various Windows supplied library files, both compile time and runtime, along with those that vb itself installs. Those Windows libraries are clearly subject to change so it's very unlikely the W10 version is the same as that for W7 although they SHOULD be compatible. Even the ones installed by VB may differ as if they are installed already and are a later version than the ones with VB they will not be changed.
    I'm also unsure why you bother recompiling the game in all these different versions. The compiled W7 version should work on W8, W10 etc so just issue that one, maybe set the compiled program's compatibility to W7, which is always a good idea anyway.
    Last edited by IanBrooke; Feb 3rd, 2021 at 12:51 PM. Reason: typo

Fanatic Member

For what it's worth, I too have seen this happen in my compiled program.
    Compiled on Win7 everything works perfect, on Win10 not so much.
    Crash or unpredictable results.

My solution was to find where crash occurred on Win10 compile program, and write code to handle it.

ie
    Code:
    If runningWin7 Then
        'Do this code block
    ElseIf runningWin10 Then
        'Do this code block
    EndIf

Fanatic Member

Quote Originally Posted by mms_ View Post
    For what it's worth, I too have seen this happen in my compiled program.
    Compiled on Win7 everything works perfect, on Win10 not so much.
    Crash or unpredictable results.

My solution was to find where crash occurred on Win10 compile program, and write code to handle it.

ie
    Code:
    If runningWin7 Then
        'Do this code block
    ElseIf runningWin10 Then
        'Do this code block
    EndIf
    what kind of code you has to write OS specific?

The Idiot

I live in two different places. I stay in one place 4-5 days and go back.
    when Im in the place where I have windows 10 I open up the project, continue my work. so that is why I compile in both windows 7 and windows 10.

but I will avoid that, I can still work, but will wait until I come back before I do a new build, this to avoid issues.

also, once compiled in windows 7, the Exe is working in windows 7/8/10, without problems.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123