Thread: Will a frog jump out of slowly boiling water?

Will a frog jump out of slowly boiling water?

Seems like a silly question but it is often used as an analogy of a business that is slow to change...

https://brainmass.com/business/strat...trategy-437538

Surprising, and as can be expected, you can find links to support yourself either way. Here is "proof" it is NOT true:

https://asianintp.wordpress.com/2017...is-not-a-myth/

Kind of impressive

It turns out if you take out their brains it is true and that is part of the myth:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boilin...l%20jump%20out

My point is, and I'm just kidding around to have fun, you can always find something impressive looking on the web to prove your point.
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

Re: Will a frog jump out of slowly boiling water?

When I read this sentence:

those past researchers were never trying to boil frogs
    my first thought was, "of course not, they were German. Had they been French, however...."

Anyways, this reminds me of an attempt in grad school to figure out how far the common green frog could jump. A buddy of mine got an electric Lilli pad made for him. We'd put the frog on the pad, then give it the most mild shock we could. It was just enough to annoy the frog, at which point the frog would jump off the pad....and then launch itself so far as to make a mockery of any attempt we had to measure that initial jump. They'd jump just far enough to get off the pad, but then they'd make it abundantly clear that the initial jump meant nothing, but we had no means the measure the subsequent jump.

Phooey on frogs. They kept us ribbeted for a couple hours trying to measure a jump.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

What this proves to me is that scientists are douchebags

Name:  kermy.PNG
Views: 164
Size:  273.3 KB
    Last edited by FunkyDexter; Feb 17th, 2022 at 04:58 AM.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Phooey on frogs. They kept us ribbeted for a couple hours trying to measure a jump.
    Maybe you are jumping to a conclusion. Maybe something was wrong with the frog. Maybe it was old and ready to croak.

King of sapila

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    When I read this sentence:

my first thought was, "of course not, they were German. Had they been French, however...."
    Ah, in some regions in Greece they eat frog legs, aka, my one side of relatives are from Epirus region. They are frog legger eaters.
    They also eat snails and lamp eyes and brains (braaaiiinnns) .
    Also it figures that they where vaxbies before they actually became vaxbies.
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

Are they epicureans? Epirus epicureans would be so very fitting.

@Funky: There were some studies done back then that were totally bizarre. They weren't just hard on the frogs, they were hard on themselves: https://royalsociety.org/blog/2014/0...ific-injuries/

King of sapila

Unfortunately completely different meanings.
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

Are they epicureans? Epirus epicureans would be so very fitting.

@Funky: There were some studies done back then that were totally bizarre. They weren't just hard on the frogs, they were hard on themselves: https://royalsociety.org/blog/2014/0...ific-injuries/
    I guess I'm in their club...last winter it was around 11 degrees out. I went out in a T shirt to see how long I could take it. After a minute or so, I don't remember exactly, It started getting very painful. I went inside and thought I'd be warm right away. I was surprised when I started shaking uncontrollably. Don't try that at home

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

There were some studies done back then that were totally bizarre.
    My tongue was partly (only partly, mind) in my cheek but it's also worth reading up on Pavlov's experiments. We tend to think he just rang a bell and fed some dogs. What he actually did is actually pretty horrendous.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

I found that link because I was looking for a different link. I had heard some report of a few members of the Royal Society sitting around chatting in a room while a teapot boiled. I read about that in the context of how much heat the human body can take, so the suggestion was that the teapot didn't have any heat source causing it to boil, aside from the temperature of the room. In that link, there is a mention of somebody going into a room at 212 degrees F, which might have been the same story told in a different fashion.

From The boiling frog tale is not a myth:
    TLDR; if you trust my judgment then you can just read/accept the title and move on.
    Best marketing ever.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

I found that link because I was looking for a different link. I had heard some report of a few members of the Royal Society sitting around chatting in a room while a teapot boiled. I read about that in the context of how much heat the human body can take, so the suggestion was that the teapot didn't have any heat source causing it to boil, aside from the temperature of the room. In that link, there is a mention of somebody going into a room at 212 degrees F, which might have been the same story told in a different fashion.
    I looked for it but couldn't find it. It was a cartoon by Gary Larson and it was three or four scientists standing around a boiling pot of water with googles and clipboards. The caption was "works every time".

"A watched pot never boils"...