Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is VB.Net/C#/XAML + VS2019 is better than VB6? Here's why.....

The Idiot

Re: Why is VB.Net/C#/XAML + VS2019 is better than VB6? Here's why.....

the importance is the end product:
    - how big is the "exe"?
    - can it run without setup?
    - back compatible xp,vista,7,8,10?
    - works in VM with the bare minimum installation

that for me is much more important than some intellisense (that I use veeeery seldom since I actually know 99% of the time what to write)
    that for me is much more important than some 1-line function (that I already have plenty sources that I can reuse that gives me functionality that only require me a couple minutes to dig up)

and, to make a "big" project, with the count of words like a novella, its about something else.
    just because .NET gives u "smart" functions, doesnt mean its better.
    you could do the same comparison with other languages, like C,C#,Java,Unity,Python and what would that say to u? nothing.
    even if .NET is easy would that make all people migrate to it?

Frenzied Member

@baka:

.NET exes are typically small.
    .NET exes can work without a setup.
    .NET exes can work on those OS's but unless you have a very good reason to use an unsupported obsolete OS you shouldn't worry about anything before Win 10.
    -I don't know about VMs and .NET exes.

Be careful to assume you know enough, this has caused me to ignore feedback which I perhaps should have heeded in retrospect. But yeah, I can see how intellisense can seem unnecessary in a lot of cases. Sometimes those features do get in the way rather than being helpful. Why would you need external sources if your development environment is modern enough to provide them for you?

As to your last statement, all I can say is .NET is better than vb6 in almost every regard and I believe C# and vb.net are almost identical in capability. I don't know enough about Unity, Java or Python to make a judgement regarding those. And I believe C is only important if you need to write low level software such as a driver or need to maintain old software written in C. Not all people would migrate to .NET, but given that it is more modern than C or vb6 it makes sense to use that instead unless you have good reason to do otherwise. I don't know whether Microsoft has any concrete plans to replace .NET although I have seen claims it is going to be obsolete.

The Idiot

well u need setup, u need to install the .net framework to be able to run .net exe's
    it happens I download a program from a site, that Im unable to run, since it require .net
    the same with some java programs.

I have 3 computers, none have .NET installed. the computers at my work, the same, they are "restricted" and only use the minimum to work and installation are restricted. so if u download something u cant use it if you are not asking the admin to allow you to install the .net framework.

I know plenty of people that has not .NET installed.

what an headache to give support to all people that download my tools/games if they can't make it run and that they are forced to install the .net framework!

ASM is fun, so long as you take pleasure in small successes. You don't want to write a huge program in ASM, but if you get that sense of satisfaction from a cleverly implemented algorithm to capitalize letters, then ASM is a real source of joy.

I never wrote in actual ASM, but I DID write in the Quattro Pro macro language. This was a VERY stripped down macro language for the Quattro Pro spreadsheet. The set of functions and commands were pretty much absent, but it did allow you to move data from place to place, and had conditional statements. You could also add, subtract, multiply, and divide. Since I was learning ASM at the time, I realized that the macro language had essentially the same set of instructions you found in RISC chips, so you could write in the Quattro Pro language as if you were writing ASM for a RISC chip with a nearly infinite number of registers...though no other memory. I wrote a really cutting edge statistical analysis package in that. The thing took six to eight hours to process one file (it was SUPER slow, since I rewrote it in VB and found it to be 40-60 times faster (not 40-60%)). The math was sufficiently complex that to test it, my boss and I would work through one example, together, using calculators, and we NEVER did it right the first time. In fact, we averaged more than two math errors for each example we worked through due to the huge number of steps.

That was a fun little program.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Frenzied Member

@baka:
    I thought the .NET framework was installed by default these days. Did you remove it from those computers? Also I have had experience of not being able to run vb6 stuff because of restrictions. Components would not register. The restrictions I get but the lack of a .NET framework on a computer I don't get.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Swinkels View Post
    @baka:
    I thought the .NET framework was installed by default these days. Did you remove it from those computers? Also I have had experience of not being able to run vb6 stuff because of restrictions. Components would not register. The restrictions I get but the lack of a .NET framework on a computer I don't get.
    This has been my experience too. It's so much more difficult to get VB6 programs running on modern Windows installs. I don't get any trouble with .Net applications.

I'm going to take a shot in the dark here and say that baka is probably responsible for maintaining some old systems. Like XP, perhaps even older Windows 20xx Servers. I also believe that .Net applications targeting Framework versions higher that 4.0 need to have the Framework installed on Windows 7 machines. None of these problems exist on Windows 10.
    Last edited by Niya; Jan 30th, 2021 at 01:55 PM.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Also, I believe that .Net 3.5 is not enabled on fresh Windows 10 installs by default so if you're running an older .Net application, you would need to enable it.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    You don't want to write a huge program in ASM
    Did you know that the video game Prince of Persia was originally written in 100% assembly? I will go to my grave believing that this is the greatest feat ever accomplished by any programmer ever. I know that's probably not true but I like to pretend it is anyway. I have major respect for the dedication he had to creating it. The entire story of it's development is on YouTube. I recommend that every programmer look at it.

The entire source code is on GitHub now.

@niya - you can find the source code for the Apollo 11 Lunar landing on github as well. Kind of a single use software!

We developed whole database "formula" evaluating code in machine code back on those minicomputers - reverse polish notation compile into executable code that ran our database software. You'll think nothing of making a SQL view and having two fields be added together - imagine having to write the code to accomplish that!
    Last edited by szlamany; Jan 30th, 2021 at 04:24 PM.

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Frenzied Member

@niya:
    Yeah, it does sound like baka is responsible for older systems. I have seen it before, crummy outdated pc’s because new ones could not be afforded or at the very least not invested in.

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    Did you know that the video game Prince of Persia was originally written in 100% assembly? I will go to my grave believing that this is the greatest feat ever accomplished by any programmer ever. I know that's probably not true but I like to pretend it is anyway. I have major respect for the dedication he had to creating it. The entire story of it's development is on YouTube. I recommend that every programmer look at it.
    Yeah, that would be an AMAZING feat. When I was working in that Quattro Pro language, which didn't have any means to allow comments, I found that I could only be productive for about three hours in the morning. I could keep writing stuff in the afternoon, but I learned that the code I was writing by then had deteriorated to the point that there was no net progress. I was spending as much time fixing what I was writing as I was writing it. Once I realized that, I would work on the program in the morning, then go do other things in the afternoon. Writing a whole program in ASM....awesome.

@szlamany: I'd imagine you took considerable pride in that. It's really quite fun, as difficult as it is. Perhaps we are all just seeking that again?

@niya:
    Yeah, it does sound like baka is responsible for older systems. I have seen it before, crummy outdated pc’s because new ones could not be afforded or at the very least not invested in.
    I work in the US. Lots of people don't. I don't know where baka works, but I've always assumed that it was not the US. I would say that NOBODY should be still on XP, but that's really not for me to say. Everybody's circumstance is their own. In my case, I can assume that ALL my users are using Win10, not so much because of where I work, but the industry that I work in. That allows me to make decisions that others may not have the luxury of making.

Frenzied Member

It doesn't just depend on the country (The Netherlands in my case), it also depends on the organization involved. One place where I worked could afford to buy tons of new hardware some of which never even got used before being disposed of. The other place had old pc's that could just barely do the task required of them.

Quote Originally Posted by szlamany View Post
    @niya - you can find the source code for the Apollo 11 Lunar landing on github as well. Kind of a single use software!
    Really? I didn't know that. I love just reading other people's code on GitHub sometimes, especially when it's the code to historically significant programs, like DOS and Prince of Persia. I gonna look for that too.

We developed whole database "formula" evaluating code in machine code back on those minicomputers - reverse polish notation compile into executable code that ran our database software. You'll think nothing of making a SQL view and having two fields be added together - imagine having to write the code to accomplish that!
    Wasn't DBASE and LOTUS123 written entirely in assembly?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Yeah, that would be an AMAZING feat. When I was working in that Quattro Pro language, which didn't have any means to allow comments, I found that I could only be productive for about three hours in the morning. I could keep writing stuff in the afternoon, but I learned that the code I was writing by then had deteriorated to the point that there was no net progress. I was spending as much time fixing what I was writing as I was writing it. Once I realized that, I would work on the program in the morning, then go do other things in the afternoon. Writing a whole program in ASM....awesome.

@szlamany: I'd imagine you took considerable pride in that. It's really quite fun, as difficult as it is. Perhaps we are all just seeking that again?
    I only learned how to write assembly code relatively recently. I always had a decent enough understanding of it but I learned to actually write it not that long ago. What was surprising to me was how difficult it is to make logical mistakes compared to high level code. I think it's because you basically control all the steps and each instruction does something very simple. And despite how tedious it might seem, it's actually a lot of fun. I wish I could get opportunities to actually utilize it in actual work. However, I don't think I will want to write an entire fully functional application with it. It would take too long for little benefit in 2020. But I think I could die happy if all I did everyday was write assembly language functions.

My dream programming job would be to write drivers, other low level utilities and even kernels using things like C and assembly, a very far cry from the kinds of applications I actually write. There is something very beautiful, dare I say, spiritual about talking to hardware directly.
    Last edited by Niya; Jan 31st, 2021 at 06:25 AM.

Frenzied Member

About that fun bit: I have noticed programming in a language that is tedious can be fun challenge, until you have to do it for a course or work. It can quickly begin to feel like a burden. Anyone else ever experienced that feeling?

About that fun bit: I have noticed programming in a language that is tedious can be fun challenge, until you have to do it for a course or work. It can quickly begin to feel like a burden. Anyone else ever experienced that feeling?
    When you have to do actual work and there's deadlines and paydays involved, I prefer being able to give the clients what they want as fast as possible. Turtle pace development is only fun when there's nothing on the line. All my fun is had in personal pet projects like this.

This was my primary motivation for abandoning VB6 for VB.Net. I loved programming in VB6 but I discovered I could get the same stuff done faster in VB.Net. As much as I love wading around in low level stuff and doing things the hard way, I also have an intense appreciation RAD as well.

PowerPoster yereverluvinuncleber's Avatar

Welcome to the NIYA SHOW! This recording is brought to you by the NIYA corporation and a big thankyou to our sponsors! Remember to use only NIYA recommended products in your daily life.

NIYA - The BIG name in both desktop and web programming, whatever your needs, NIYA gives it to you!

PowerPoster yereverluvinuncleber's Avatar

forgive me

Frenzied Member

@niya: RAD?

@niya: RAD?
    Rapid Application Development.

These are development tools that aim to make application development as fast as possible by giving you access to a lot of ready made abstractions so you don't have to spend time doing it yourself. VB6, WinForms and WPF for example takes a lot of the work out of actually having to create a Window in Windows. I don't know if you have ever seen how involved the CreateWindow family of APIs are but it's a lot of work if you have to create top level windows(Forms to the VB programmer) and child windows(controls to the VB programmer) directly. Visual Studio gives you a designer where you just drag and drop controls on to a Form and the internals take care of all the complicated CreateWindow stuff for you.

Intellisense in IDEs are also a hallmark of RAD tools. They cut down on the amount of key strokes needed to write actual code. Libraries like the .Net Framework provide a lot of ready-made abstractions to perform common tasks like file access, registry access, graphics etc. If you had to do any of this by directly engaging the Win32 with a limited IDE or something like NotePad, you would spend disgusting amounts of time doing the simplest things.

RAD? XAML markup is certainly verbose! I don't recall being very "rapid" at creating this stuff! Simple stuff - super easy. Complex - it gets a magnitude more complex with each step into the beast!

Here is XAML for a button style I created back a few years ago. XAML handles "state" nicely - all kinds of triggers for actions that happen in the UI. This is XAML for just the button being "ON", lol!

This is for making a fully responsive button - like you would see in Outlook as you hover and click around.

Code:
    <Style x:Key="ButtonStyleOn">
        <Setter Property="Control.Template">
            <Setter.Value>
                <ControlTemplate TargetType="Button">
                    <Border Name="shortcutbutton"  
                BorderThickness="0 0 0 0"
                BorderBrush="#D0D1D7"
                Background="#DCEAF9">
                        <ContentPresenter Margin="2" 
                                HorizontalAlignment="Center"
                                VerticalAlignment="Center" 
                                RecognizesAccessKey="True"/>
                    </Border>
                    <ControlTemplate.Triggers>
                        <Trigger Property="IsMouseOver" Value="true">
                            <Setter TargetName="shortcutbutton" Property="Background" Value="#DCEAF9" />
                            <Setter TargetName="shortcutbutton" Property="BorderBrush" Value="#D0D1D7" />
                            <Setter TargetName="shortcutbutton" Property="Opacity" Value="1" />
                            <Setter TargetName="shortcutbutton" Property="BorderThickness" Value="1 1 0 0" />
                            <Setter TargetName="shortcutbutton" Property="Cursor" Value="Hand" />
                            <!--<Setter TargetName="Border" Property="Foreground" Value="#45619D\#2F477A" />-->
                        </Trigger>
                        <Trigger Property="IsPressed" Value="true">
                            <Setter TargetName="shortcutbutton" Property="BorderThickness" Value="1 1 0 0" />
                            <!--<Setter TargetName="Border" Property="Foreground" Value="Red" />-->
                        </Trigger>
                        <Trigger Property="IsEnabled" Value="false">
                            <Setter TargetName="shortcutbutton" Property="Background" Value="#F4F4F4" />
                            <Setter TargetName="shortcutbutton" Property="Cursor" Value="Wait" />
                        </Trigger>
                    </ControlTemplate.Triggers>
                </ControlTemplate>
            </Setter.Value>
        </Setter>
        <Setter Property="Control.Margin" Value="2"></Setter>
        <Setter Property="Control.Foreground" Value="#2F477A"></Setter>
        <Setter Property="Control.BorderBrush" Value="{x:Null}"></Setter>
        <EventSetter Event="Button.Click" Handler="Button_Click" />
    </Style>
    Last edited by szlamany; Jan 31st, 2021 at 08:59 AM.

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Frenzied Member

@niya:
    Yes, I have worked with the CreateWindow API. Sounds like unless you need low level control or want to learn how it works RAD is the most practical. Given how more modern generally seems to mean more RAD I am curious as to what .NET’s successor will look like. I can already imagine the endless debates about the virtues of old school .NET vs whatever we are expected to use then.

I had, long time ago in high school, a few hours of assembly courses and a few exercises to do. I never had fun with it. Tedious, burden, long time spend are the words that come to me with that low level language but that's true : you really control everything.
    The best friend of any programmer is a search engine
    "Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better. Don't wish for less problems, wish for more skills. Don't wish for less challenges, wish for more wisdom" (J. Rohn)
    “They did not know it was impossible so they did it” (Mark Twain)

Frenzied Member

@delaney: school, then it becomes a mandatory chore with a teacher judgeing the result.

RAD? XAML markup is certainly verbose! I don't recall being very "rapid" at creating this stuff! Simple stuff - super easy. Complex - it gets a magnitude more complex with each step into the beast!

Here is XAML for a button style I created back a few years ago. XAML handles "state" nicely - all kinds of triggers for actions that happen in the UI. This is XAML for just the button being "ON", lol!

This is for making a fully responsive button - like you would see in Outlook as you hover and click around.

Code:
    <Style x:Key="ButtonStyleOn">
        <Setter Property="Control.Template">
            <Setter.Value>
                <ControlTemplate TargetType="Button">
                    <Border Name="shortcutbutton"  
                BorderThickness="0 0 0 0"
                BorderBrush="#D0D1D7"
                Background="#DCEAF9">
                        <ContentPresenter Margin="2" 
                                HorizontalAlignment="Center"
                                VerticalAlignment="Center" 
                                RecognizesAccessKey="True"/>
                    </Border>
                    <ControlTemplate.Triggers>
                        <Trigger Property="IsMouseOver" Value="true">
                            <Setter TargetName="shortcutbutton" Property="Opacity" Value="1" />
                            <!--<Setter TargetName="Border" Property="Foreground" Value="#45619D\#2F477A" />-->
                        </Trigger>
                        <Trigger Property="IsPressed" Value="true">
                            <!--<Setter TargetName="Border" Property="Foreground" Value="Red" />-->
                        </Trigger>
                        <Trigger Property="IsEnabled" Value="false">
                            <Setter TargetName="shortcutbutton" Property="Background" Value="#F4F4F4" />
                            <Setter TargetName="shortcutbutton" Property="Cursor" Value="Wait" />
                        </Trigger>
                    </ControlTemplate.Triggers>
                </ControlTemplate>
            </Setter.Value>
        </Setter>
        <Setter Property="Control.Margin" Value="2"></Setter>
        <Setter Property="Control.Foreground" Value="#2F477A"></Setter>
        <Setter Property="Control.BorderBrush" Value="{x:Null}"></Setter>
        <EventSetter Event="Button.Click" Handler="Button_Click" />
    </Style>
    The thing is with XAML and really any idea that attempts to bring to life the RAD concept, is that you can only simplify something so much.

With XAML in particular, it simplifies the vast majority of common things you might want to do but when you go beyond that for the more finely tuned control, it's going to get complex. But here's the thing, even in the case of more complicated beasts like your button, it's still does a lot of the work for you. I've written a lot of controls and in my life, including a small suit of several controls in VB6 in another lifetime. I am telling you, the amount of work it takes is way beyond even the most involved XAML styles and templates.

After using XAML in WPF, I don't think I ever want to go back to writing controls and UI widgets the old fashion way ever again.

@niya:
    Yes, I have worked with the CreateWindow API. Sounds like unless you need low level control or want to learn how it works RAD is the most practical.
    I think everyone should learn this stuff. It's actually a lot of fun. However, when it comes to serious work that needs to be delivered in a timely manner and as bug free as possible, I think it's better to avoid all that grunt work if there's a tool that can abstract away all that so you can focus on what's really important.

Given how more modern generally seems to mean more RAD I am curious as to what .NET’s successor will look like. I can already imagine the endless debates about the virtues of old school .NET vs whatever we are expected to use then.
    Oh, it's definitely going to happen. This kind of thing was around as long as the IT industry itself. The same way VB6ers throw tantrums over .Net, I threw them over Windows when DOS was being phased out. If there were forums around in those times, I would have probably been on one making the exact same arguments VB6ers are making today. I thought Windows was big and bloated and that DOS was sleek, high performance and just perfect for all my needs. I've seen the same kind of contention between a assembly language programmers and C programmers. I remember one thread on a C forum where an assembly programmer who spent years developing a database engine and his own little tool chain, similar to what Olaf does in VB6, being frustrated that the replacement of DOS by Windows and the popularity of C was making his work obsolete. He fielded the exact same arguments that the VB6ers here field towards me when I say that .Net is better. He seemed very particular about Windows not allowing direct hardware access like DOS did. You can check out that disaster of a thread here.

When new tech replaces old, there are always a group of people rehashing the same old tired arguments. Whatever .Net's replacement will be would bring the same contention and we would see the same arguments. It's just a part of the IT industry.

Frenzied Member

@niya:
    I am for the most part all for progress, but it is a good thing there people who won't blindly follow every new trend I guess. I think whether or not a discussion turns into a disaster as you put it depends on people's attitudes and how much you're bothered by things getting a little heated.
    Last edited by Peter Swinkels; Feb 1st, 2021 at 08:27 AM. Reason: must learn to read before submitting

@niya:
    I am for the most part all for progress, but it is a good thing there people who won't blindly follow every new trend I guess.
    You don't have to blindly follow every new trend. You just have to use a bit of common sense. When considering adopting a new piece of tech, I ask myself one simple question, is everybody using this or is it noticeably popular? If the answer is no, then I remove it from consideration. If it's a tech I know I would like, I would keep an eye on it's development.

Xamarin is a good example. Now I don't use Xamarin because I have no immediate plans for developing anything in the mobile space but it will be my first choice when I go there. However, this would not have been the case when it was first released. When Xamarin was new, it wasn't even a blip on anyone's radar. Sure it ignited a lot of interest but people weren't taking it seriously. I downloaded it and gave it a try and soon realized why. The IDE was god awfully slow. It was very unusable. That is not the case today. MS bought Xamarin and integrated it with Visual Studio. It's far from what it was way back when. I would have never used Xamarin back then but I did keep an eye on it's development hoping for the day it did become viable and as far as I can tell it did.

I think whether or not a discussion turns into a disaster as you put on people's attitudes and how much you're bothered by things getting a little heated.
    The people who tend to get most heated are the ones that want to deny harsh realities. The harsh reality is, the movers and shakers of the IT world don't care how much we love the tools we use. We have to be willing to give up what we love and learn to love new things if we want to stay competitive. I mean look at that thread I linked in that C forum. That fella is fighting tooth and nail to force his archaic ADAM database system to work in the modern world when there is no need to. It's completely unneeded and 100% obsolete. We have VB6 developers expending enormous amounts of effort forcing VB6 to do things that can already be done by modern Windows development tools. These people are wasting a lot of valuable time and effort on lost causes and they tend to get very triggered when someone points it out.

I don't think this pattern is likely to change though. There will always be those who refuse to evolve. And to be honest, I think in about 50 years programmers themselves will be obsolete so it won't matter. There are AI tools currently in development that are already writing entire programs in seconds after giving them a brief explanation of what kind of program you want. We are all going to be dinosaurs by the time our great grandchildren are adults. They are going to wonder how we could have spent months creating something that takes them only a few minutes. It won't matter to them whether we used VB6, VB.Net, C or assembly. It would be all the same to them, old tech that from their perspective is good for nothing but sucking incomprehensible amounts of time from our lives. Just as it is amazing to me that the developer of Prince of Persia wrote the entire thing in assembly, it would be amazing to them that we actually had the write most software manually. People arguing about C vs assembly or VB6 vs VB.Net is going to seem very ridiculous to them.

Frenzied Member

Those are good points. Now what would cause people to refuse to evolve? Fear of letting go of the familiar?

I think it depends of the age of the person and if it is a professional or not.

I had a colleague who had to swap from Pro engineer CAD to CATIA CAD. It was very difficult to her because she had to do that 5 years before retirement. So after more than 20 years on PRO E, software she masters completely, she has to learn a new software and she know that she will never be as good with it than she was with pro E. It can be very difficult feeling to bear. And so, of course, the new software has all the inconvenient possible and even imaginary ones.

I think it may be the same for VB6 for the old professionals and in more general ways for every one that master something and has to change to learn some other thing they will never master so well.

I am an amateur (and not so young anymore ), VB.net is more than enough for what I do and need and I don't yet master it so I still have a lot to learn and do with it. I use also a bit of C/C++ because I use some arduino for some projects (perso or pro).

So I don't see any real reason to change (beside the desire to learn a new language), though C# tempts me a bit. Python also at some point but it was kind of "fashion temptation".
    Last edited by Delaney; Feb 1st, 2021 at 04:16 PM.
    The best friend of any programmer is a search engine
    "Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better. Don't wish for less problems, wish for more skills. Don't wish for less challenges, wish for more wisdom" (J. Rohn)
    “They did not know it was impossible so they did it” (Mark Twain)

I know this is chit chat, of which there is no point, but geez - this post was interesting in it's discussion of the benefits of .Net and XAML over VB6. Basically about "libraries" and "mark up languages".

People stuck in an old paradigm has been so over talked! I've been coding since 1980 professionally - in the same market place - and since 1986 been self employed or in simple partnerships. I've still got some of those initial clients from 1986 in my portfolio. I was on Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) machines prior to 1999 - some of you don't even know what that was! Second largest computer company next to IBM for a few decades. Imagine having your "hardware" go away! You complain about moving to .Net - lol!

I'm gonna try and bring this thread back on topic - if that's even possible in chit chat...

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Frenzied Member

I have noticed that when it's personal people, especially older people are more stuck in the past and resistant to change. Yes, having to learn something new and being confronted with how hard it is can be a factor. I have been through it myself and I am not even that old (41). Really changing habbits that have gotten ingrained over the years is hard. It might be especially painful when you're proud of your skills. I used to be fairly decent with Q(uick) Basic and classic Visual Basic. The same with writing HTML by hand in a text editor and uploading it via FTP. I knew I was pretty decent at it and kind of proud about it. That made being confronted with a modern web-interface I didn't understand in the slightest during a course I had to do even harder. Long story short, my question, how does being proud factor into this according to you?

I was on Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) machines prior to 1999 - some of you don't even know what that was! Second largest computer company next to IBM for a few decades. Imagine having your "hardware" go away! You complain about moving to .Net - lol!
    My father was an engineer for DEC for several years. They offered an early retirement package in the early 90s. By then, he could see what was coming, and since the package was generous, he jumped at it. The whole company sank only a couple years later when it was bought by Compaq. He made out very nicely with that purchase, as he still held a bunch of DEC stock, which was exchanged for Compaq for stock plus cash....then Compaq was bought by HP. Not sure what happened that time. He may have dumped the Compaq stock before then.

I'm going to treat this more as a "What do I like about C#" vs "C# VS VB" or anything... these are just some things I like about C#.

null conditional operator (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/arc...ved-csharp-6-0)

Code:
    var somevar = object?.property;
    instead of

Code:
    string somevar = null;
    if(object != null)
      somevar = object.property;

Implicit variable typing (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dot...ocal-variables)

Code:
    var someDict = new Dictionary<string, string>();
    instead of

Code:
    Dictionary<string, string> someDict = new Dictionary<string, string>();
    async/await (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dot...oncepts/async/)

Figure the example in the link is easier than me typing the code out.

LINQ (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dot...concepts/linq/)

Many examples, but something as simple as below saves a ton of time writing code

Code:
    var nissanCars = carList.Where(b => b.Brand == "Nissan");
    vs

Code:
    var nissanCars = new List<MatchData>();
    foreach(var car in carList) {
      if(car.Brand == "Nissan")
        matchingData.Add(car);
    }
    or even

Code:
    if(carList.Any(car => car.Brand == "Nissan") {
    // we have a nissan in stock!
    }
    vs

Code:
    bool hasANissan = false;
    foreach(var car in cars) {
      if(car.Brand == "Nissan") {
        hasANissan = true;
        break;
      }
    }

if(hasANissan) {
    // we have a nissan in stock!
    }
    Anonymous Types (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dot...nonymous-types)

Very handy, especially when returning JSON via an API. Sometimes you don't want to use JsonIgnore on a property, so it is very handy to be able to do

Code:
    return Response.AsJson(someLargeArray.Select(b => new  {
     Id = b.Id,
     Name = b.Name
    });

using statement (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dot...sing-statement)

The fact that I don't need to worry about cleaning up connections if an unexpected error occurs

Nuget
    I don't need to go to the far reaches of the internet to find a library that will save me hours of writing. Quick search on nuget and you usually find a library to handle the job

Now a days I also like that it is cross-platform. I can use something like Avalonia and write apps for Mac, Linux, and Windows all at once. As well as I can easily write web applications and mobile applications all using the same language.

There is also the choice between performance and speed. I can write code quickly and not worry about pre-optimizations, but if I find something I need to optimize, I can either import a C/C++ library, or start using more optimized features of C# like pointers, ref structs, stackalloc, etc.

One feature I like is loading assemblies into the application domain. I use this a lot to make our web applications modular. For example, we have a tool for handling SSO and we have to make connections to different systems, many of which have their own implementations of SSO for their system.

I have an interface set up, and all I do is build a DLL based on this interface and drop it into a folder in the webapp. Without having to bring down the webapp or anything, it automatically loads it up and I can create a new endpoint for another service. I have it so I can specify settings for the interface implementation and they automatically get rendered out to a form, letting me dynamically set settings on each new SSO implementation. We use this in several places for hot swapping functionality in our running web apps.

I do find it funny when someone says syntactic sugar or package managers can't be seen as an advantage of one language over another... My clients care a lot more about how fast the product is launched and how solid it is, vs how fast it is (within reason..but there are precious few times I've ran into people complaining about speed)... however C# can be sped up with a some modifications to your program as well if I need it, and I don't lose the syntactic sugar or package manager.

I should also say I do mostly web-dev and I rarely write a desktop app unless I am making some quick batch job... but those are a few of the things I like about writing in C#.
    Last edited by kfcSmitty; Feb 1st, 2021 at 07:14 PM.

This is good stuff. Keep it coming.

The next time I get involved in another VB6 vs VB.Net disaster, I'll simply link this thread and people can see all the reasons from the biggest to the tiniest reasons we love VB.Net, C#, XAML and whatever else came with modern Visual Studio editions.

I know this is chit chat, of which there is no point, but geez
    I'm gonna try and bring this thread back on topic - if that's even possible in chit chat...
    Take it in whatever direction you want. It's in chit chat for a reason. I only made to it be 50% serious and 50% whatever else. Have fun, talk about your experiences, whatever. It's fine

While I do take the subject matter seriously I want whatever discussion happens to be more or less informal. Hopefully that attitude towards the subject will prevent all the disastrous warfare that precipitate topics like this. Think of it like debating serious political topics in an informal setting like a bar or card game over a round of beers.

The Idiot

if u think
    or
    var matchingData = someLargeList.Where(b => b.someProperty == "something");

if u think thats good why not just

/# somvar ="%"////
    or
    /# matchindData = someLargeList.¤""&//We =="something"#_

one reason I like basic is because it look good and its easy to understand.
    if I didnt care I would go to c/c++ right now. that langauge is exactly that, unreadable.
    it doenst matter if I need to write 2 extra lines. why is that? laziness?

Quote Originally Posted by baka View Post
    if u think
    or
    var matchingData = someLargeList.Where(b => b.someProperty == "something");

if u think thats good why not just

/# somvar ="%"////
    or
    /# matchindData = someLargeList.¤""&//We =="something"#_

one reason I like basic is because it look good and its easy to understand.
    if I didnt care I would go to c/c++ right now. that langauge is exactly that, unreadable.
    it doenst matter if I need to write 2 extra lines. why is that? laziness?
    If you washed your clothes by hand for 1 year and suddenly you got a washing machine. Will you ever want to go back to washing by hand after using the machine for a year?

That's how most of us feel about this stuff. What we had before was just fine but once you try some of this new stuff, you just don't want to go back. That's how I got into VB.Net. When I tried it for the first time, I had no idea that I was going to leave VB6. After using it for a while, I just couldn't go back. These new features were just too good. I learned that there is a big difference between reading about something and actually using it. You don't really get it until you give it an honest chance.

I don't expect you to get it and that's fine. Let each man judge for himself what is good for him. We will just provide the facts.

laziness?
    Ehhhh. That doesn't hold up. I don't think you can accuse people willing to rewrite/port an entire application from one language to another of being lazy. I have done it and I'm sure quite a few others have done it as well. This year I have plans for a rewrite of a massive VB6 application into a .Net language, and not for the first time I might add.

The Idiot

I mean laziness when u want everything in 1 line instead of 2 or 3 even if it will mean it will look more like c++

but I agree with you that you get used to it. and when u do, u feel its right. and it could even feel this is it.
    but when u start to compare VB6 that you feel is inferior u also need to hear what we think about that.

for me, those examples are not something that I feel are good enough for me to leave VB6.
    contrary, I feel. oh my god. what garbage is that? I rather learn another language instead, theres plenty out there.

Im doing games and community tools, my "demands" and not that high, I dont need all kind of features, but selective ones.
    I dont care about a "everything-language" when I just need 5% of it.
    what could .NET offer? Im doing my own GUI, all graphical. animated. I dont use button, listboxes, commandbutton etc. so all those "RAD" component are useless. everything is coding. what can .NET do that I can not do in VB6?
    I work in Direct2D right now. maybe Directx9/11 next game I do and I will still not care about component.
    the importance is array, math, and graphical method. is there any differences between .NET and VB6 in that? I dont think theres much.

Quote Originally Posted by baka View Post
    I mean laziness when u want everything in 1 line instead of 2 or 3 even if it will mean it will look more like c++

but I agree with you that you get used to it. and when u do, u feel its right. and it could even feel this is it.
    but when u start to compare VB6 that you feel is inferior u also need to hear what we think about that.

for me, those examples are not something that I feel are good enough for me to leave VB6.
    contrary, I feel. oh my god. what garbage is that? I rather learn another language instead, theres plenty out there.

Im doing games and community tools, my "demands" and not that high, I dont need all kind of features, but selective ones.
    I dont care about a "everything-language" when I just need 5% of it.
    what could .NET offer? Im doing my own GUI, all graphical. animated. I dont use button, listboxes, commandbutton etc. so all those "RAD" component are useless. everything is coding. what can .NET do that I can not do in VB6?
    I work in Direct2D right now. maybe Directx9/11 next game I do and I will still not care about component.
    the importance is array, math, and graphical method. is there any differences between .NET and VB6 in that? I dont think theres much.
    I've updated my example to make it a little more obvious what the code does. Reading it out right now it is pretty simple and I find your convoluted example rather... interesting. Reading it from left to right it is saying

set nissanCars to carList where Brand is Nissan. I'm not sure how that is confusing at all, other than you not liking the syntax, which is fine, as that is your personal preference. I find VB syntax just as distasteful and useless.

However it is pretty ignorant to say it is lazy to want code that is quicker to write. Writing less code to do the same thing = faster development, not laziness. Would you consider someone who has written a batch job to handle data input lazy as well because they didn't want to manually type the data into the database?

As I mentioned, my post is not about whether you find them handy or not, it is whether I find them handy. Nothing I am posting is compared to any other language. The code I wrote to compare to is pseudocode.

I also want to emphasize, my post is not meant to entice anyone to leave their language of choice. It is meant to point out things I like about my language of choice.

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast