Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 411121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is VB.Net/C#/XAML + VS2019 is better than VB6? Here's why.....

Re: Why is VB.Net/C#/XAML + VS2019 is better than VB6? Here's why.....

Here is a real example from one of my pet projects in VB.Net, RegisterMachineInstruction. That is the actual name of a class in the project. It's long but it very clearly communicates what the class represents. I would have no problems figuring out what that class is about when I read the code 15 years from now.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

If you want examples of how trying to be terse can actually be a royal pain, just look at the x86 AVX/SSE mnemonics. I swear to God, I've seen some instructions that literally looked like someone randomly smashed their keyboard to come up with the name. I mean look at this: VPERM2F128. Does that mess look like it means anything? Looks like someone's Gmail password. And there are far worse offenders. They might as well have given it a long descriptive name. I think everyone would be better off.

This is just my personal opinion though. Make of it what you will. Perhaps they had valid reasons I don't know about. It's not something I'm prepared to go to war over.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

As a fun little exercise I decided to read the description of the VPERM2F128 instruction to try and imagine what I would have named it. I would have named it something like, ShuffleVectorsWithConstSelector. It doesn't give you all the information but it at least gives a far better picture of what it does.

VecShuf128 would also be a shorter but more descriptive name.

Or VecShuf128CSel.

Or Vec128To256.
    Last edited by Niya; Sep 21st, 2021 at 09:14 PM.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    As a fun little exercise I decided to read the description of the VPERM2F128 instruction to try and imagine what I would have named it. I would have named it something like, ShuffleVectorsWithConstSelector.
    I think I would had named it: PermuteFloat

Quote Originally Posted by Eduardo- View Post
    I think I would had named it: PermuteFloat
    Ah, I see. The description I read didn't describe it like that. The one I read called it a vector shuffle.

I like PermuteFloat or even PermFlt if you want to be a littler more terse.

PowerPoster

Ah, I see. The description I read didn't describe it like that. The one I read called it a vector shuffle.

I like PermuteFloat or even PermFlt if you want to be a littler more terse.
    In that regard, I prefer clarity over shortness but with the exception of things that you use a lot.
    I mean, if you are going to repeat 100 times YourClearButVersobeFunctionName, perhaps ClearFN wold be acceptable.

So about the case of PermFlt I could also choose that name in case it is used often.

In that regard, I prefer clarity over shortness.
    This is exactly how I feel about naming things. I much prefer a longer name that tells me more.

So about the case of PermFlt I could also choose that name in case it is used often.
    Not only that, but consider that many people may have to read that in a disassembly window. Most disassemblers were made with traditional short mnemonics like mov, add, sub etc in mind.

PowerPoster

I think that variable and function names that are clear, and code blocks well structured result in code half "self documented".

I'm not saying I'm always very good in that regard, but that's my idea.
    (About documenting, sometimes I add comments the second time when I need to understand the code that I previously wrote.)

sometimes I add comments the second time when I need to understand the code that I previously wrote.
    I feel like.....you're reading my mind.

I can't tell you how many times I revisit a piece of code years later and found myself unable to tell at a glance how it works. I always end up adding comments so that it doesn't happen to me in the future.

Also, on this topic of comments. This is another reason I like really long descriptive names, it reduces the need to write too many comments. I really hate having to write paragraphs of comments for a piece of code because I'm afraid it's too cryptic for my future self to understand just by reading it.

This reminds of a time I practically wrote an entire document worth of comments when I first learned how transparency works because I was so afraid I would forget it in the future. It's in one of my old VB6 projects. I wonder if I can find it....

Ah I found it:-
    Code:
    '****************************************************************************
    '*************         +UNDERSTANDING TRANSPARENCY+      ********************
    '****************************************************************************
    'The three Bit blast operations below use a very simple technique.
    'Remember that after all is said and done, that colours are represented
    'as bits at the lowest level. For example...
    'RGB(0,0,0) means :- 00000000 00000000 00000000
    'A monochrome mask is made where all transparent pixels are represented
    'as white (RGB-255,255,255) and opaque as black (RGB-0,0,0)

'**********************************************************************
    '----------------1st Blt-----------------------------------------------
    'The source is XORed to the destination. The significance of this
    'is that two XORs of the same image results in no image...This is
    'the important thing for transparency. Its just a matter regulating
    'where no image is drawn, which is the transparent sections.

'***********************************************************************
    '----------------2nd Blt------------------------------------------------
    'The monochrome mask is ANDed with the image that was XORed
    'previously. PAY ATTENTION !!!
    'The white pixels of the mono-mask is converted to the color DC's backcolor
    'its important that this be RGB(255,255,255) which is a true-color DC's
    'representation of white. The black pixels are converted to the color DC's
    'forecolor(text color) which should be RGB(0,0,0)...NOW, after
    'the conversion, its ANDed with the pixels of the destination DC.
    'This changes all the opaque pixels to black and does nothing to
    'the transparent pixels. How ? Consider the following:-
    '=====================================================
    '                         Red      Green    Blue
    'Destination Pixel    - 11100010 00001000 10001101 (A)
    'AND Mask White Pixel - 11111111 11111111 11111111 (B)
    '   {AND operation}     ---------------------------
    'Result                 11100010 00001000 10001101 (C)
    'Notice the (A) and (C) are the same. However:-
    '                         Red      Green    Blue
    'Destination Pixel    - 11100010 00001000 10001101 (D)
    'AND Mask Black Pixel - 00000000 00000000 00000000 (E)
    '   {AND operation}     ---------------------------
    'Result                 00000000 00000000 00000000 (F)
    'Notice that (F) is all black. This represents the opaque
    'portions of the image

'***********************************************************************
    '----------------3rd Blt------------------------------------------------
    'The original image is XORed with the destination again. Now remember
    'we said that two XORs is as no image ? Well, when the AND mask
    'was ANDed to the destination, please recall that where
    'that the transparent parts which fell under the
    'mask's white pixels were left unchanged from
    'the first XOR so obviously this second XOR will cancel the unchanged
    'portions of the first XOR. It becomes as if nothing were drawn there
    'in the first place.
    'On the other hand, also recall that the opaque parts which fell
    'under the mask's black pixels were changed to black themselves.
    'which means that this second XOR with the original image will not
    'cancel these pixels but copy them because color pixels XORed with black
    'pixels results in the same color pixels...THIS IS TRANSPARENCY !!
    '**********************************************************************
    ''=======================================================================
    'Illustrations Written by Niya -----------------------------------------
    '=======================================================================
    I remember fighting so hard to figure this out that when I finally solved it, I wanted to make sure I could never forget it. Ended up with that huge wall of text.

PowerPoster yereverluvinuncleber's Avatar

This reminds of a time I practically wrote an entire document worth of comments when I first learned how transparency works because I was so afraid I would forget it in the future.

I do that ALL the time, 30% coding 70% bugfixing. Some bugs are only discovered a long time later. It helps.
    https://github.com/yereverluvinunclebert

Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.

By the power invested in me, all the threads I start are battle free zones - no arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign.

In addition, you don't know who is going to be picking up your code in the future. If VB6 really does become an obsolete and an arcane language and the 'easier' languages take over, then someone in the future may need to unpick your code and may not have a clue unless you provide them with a full description of your complex code.

Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.

By the power invested in me, all the threads I start are battle free zones - no arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign.

Quote Originally Posted by yereverluvinuncleber View Post
    I do that ALL the time, 30% coding 70% bugfixing. Some bugs are only discovered a long time later. It helps.
    Yea. This is so true. It's fascinating how much time is actually spent debugging. Very little time is actually spent writing new code in comparison.

In addition, you don't know who is going to be picking up your code in the future. If VB6 really does become an obsolete and an arcane language and the 'easier' languages take over, then someone in the future may need to unpick your code and may not have a clue unless you provide them with a full description of your complex code.
    This is part of the reason I think it's good to not only have good commenting habits but proper descriptive names for your functions/classes etc. This goes such a long way towards helping strangers understand what you wrote.

Fanatic Member

'Netters agree with 'Sixers... Where this world is going? Maybe soon all they will become JavaScripters

I'm sure there are carpenters that fight tooth and nail over which brands of hammers are the best but they are all still carpenters before anything else.

I'm guessing that verbosity he is talking about comes from all the ThisNamespace.NestedNamespace.NestedNamespace.WhateverClass.Whatevermethod mess we see in both Java and .Net. However, this is more of less moot. I can't speak for Java but this in .Net, the Visual Studio IDE intellisense helps a lot with this so it greatly reduces the actual amount of typing you have to do and also, you can use imports to completely eliminate this need for these long ass fully qualified names. You can do both file scoped and project scoped imports of as many namespaces as you want. In fact, I use file scoped imports to eliminated this in my own code. The Visual Studio IDE even offers to perform these imports for me automatically.
    I could be wrong but I mean lines of code.

This reminds of a time I practically wrote an entire document worth of comments when I first learned how transparency works because I was so afraid I would forget it in the future.
    Do you find it opaque now? That would fill your daily recommended dose of irony.

I write comments in code, in fashions others have described, but a whole lot of my comments refer to an external document for more information. I'm a pretty fast and effective typist, so I do all my design notes in a structured document that leaves a trace of what I did, how I was thinking about it, and so forth.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Episcopal View Post
    It's hard to say for certain, since you are relating your understanding of a statement somebody else made where that other person didn't explain what they meant precisely. However, when people talk about verbosity in programming languages, they tend to be referring to how many characters it takes to accomplish some set task. Unfortunately, they don't ALWAYS mean that, so they could be meaning either what you thought (lines of code) OR what Niya suggested (number of characters)...or both.

If we are talking about lines of code, well that's easy. Mostly anything modern beats VB6 by a mile, this includes .Net of course. But I expect it would also include Java and Python.

In the end it comes down to libraries if we are talking about lines of code only. .Net comes with a massive library, and so does Java and Python as far as I understand. These libraries are constantly being updated and improved. VB6 is something like 20 years old. Do you know how much has changed in all that time? Olaf tries to keep VB6 up to the times with his vbRichClient library but he is only 1 man. There is only so much a single man can do. Modern frameworks have massive libraries that are being written and maintained by hundreds if not thousands of individuals. Having easy access to good libraries greatly helps reduce the amount of code you have to write for an application.

But even if we exclude all the new things that came along, VB6 still falls short in comparison because even with common everyday things like filtering lists requires a tonne of boilerplate in VB6. .Net has LINQ. Java has the Stream API, even JavaScript has many different LINQ-like implementations.

Language features can also play a part in how many lines of code it takes to do something. Take this in VB6 for example:-
    Code:
        Dim cars(0 To 3) As String

cars(0) = "Volvo"
        cars(1) = "BMW"
        cars(2) = "Ford"
        cars(3) = "Mazda"
    In Java, it looks like this:-
    Code:
    String[] cars = {"Volvo", "BMW", "Ford", "Mazda"};
    In VB.Net using type inference it looks like this:-
    Code:
    Dim cars = {"Volvo", "BMW", "Ford", "Mazda"}
    To answer your question more directly, I'd say Java is about even with .Net and just about any modern development environment and language that overlaps in the same domain with regards to the type of applications you can write. I might even go as far as saying that Java is the best of the 3 of we are only comparing with VB6, and .Net. .Net has only relatively recently started playing in the world outside of Windows but Java was out there for a very long time before that. Java is probably one of the safest bets you can make on a programming language.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Do you find it opaque now? That would fill your daily recommended dose of irony.
    lmao

I write comments in code, in fashions others have described, but a whole lot of my comments refer to an external document for more information. I'm a pretty fast and effective typist, so I do all my design notes in a structured document that leaves a trace of what I did, how I was thinking about it, and so forth.
    I wish I had the discipline to document my code with external documentation. But I exemplify what they say about programmers being terrible at documentation. Going beyond comments in the source code is just something I find grueling. I've never been able to bring myself to go that far.

If we are talking about lines of code, well that's easy. Mostly anything modern beats VB6 by a mile, this includes .Net of course. But I expect it would also include Java and Python.

In the end it comes down to libraries if we are talking about lines of code only. .Net comes with a massive library, and so does Java and Python as far as I understand. These libraries are constantly being updated and improved. VB6 is something like 20 years old. Do you know how much has changed in all that time? Olaf tries to keep VB6 up to the times with his vbRichClient library but he is only 1 man. There is only so much a single man can do. Modern frameworks have massive libraries that are being written and maintained by hundreds if not thousands of individuals. Having easy access to good libraries greatly helps reduce the amount of code you have to write for an application.

But even if we exclude all the new things that came along, VB6 still falls short in comparison because even with common everyday things like filtering lists requires a tonne of boilerplate in VB6. .Net has LINQ. Java has the Stream API, even JavaScript has many different LINQ-like implementations.

Language features can also play a part in how many lines of code it takes to do something. Take this in VB6 for example:-
    Code:
        Dim cars(0 To 3) As String

cars(0) = "Volvo"
        cars(1) = "BMW"
        cars(2) = "Ford"
        cars(3) = "Mazda"
    In Java, it looks like this:-
    Code:
    String[] cars = {"Volvo", "BMW", "Ford", "Mazda"};
    In VB.Net using type inference it looks like this:-
    Code:
    Dim cars = {"Volvo", "BMW", "Ford", "Mazda"}
    To answer your question more directly, I'd say Java is about even with .Net and just about any modern development environment and language that overlaps in the same domain with regards to the type of applications you can write. I might even go as far as saying that Java is the best of the 3 of we are only comparing with VB6, and .Net. .Net has only relatively recently started playing in the world outside of Windows but Java was out there for a very long time before that. Java is probably one of the safest bets you can make on a programming language.
    If you know that NET is superior to VB6 and if this is unquestionable (I believe it is, even if I don't know it) why make long debates? Wouldn't that be nonsense? Who cares?

I think that whoever should discuss this is its owner and maintainer, Microsoft. They gave their lives and they will also reap it one day.

Who cares?
    Enough people for this thread to go 14 pages long.

PowerPoster

If you know that NET is superior to VB6 and if this is unquestionable
    (I believe it is, ...
    Nah, I *know* it isn't.

We had enough "shootouts" with the .NETers here already, to establish that.

VB6 plus a tiny little framework of 3MB has beaten the pants off equivalent .NET solutions, in any serious code-comparison.

Olaf

Quote Originally Posted by Schmidt View Post
    VB6 plus a tiny little framework of 3MB
    That's still too big to fit on a 1.44 Floppy!

Quote Originally Posted by Schmidt View Post
    has beaten the pants off equivalent .NET solutions, in any serious code-comparison.
    I guess that's why people are building websites like StackOverflow using VB6......
    Last edited by Niya; Sep 23rd, 2021 at 03:37 AM.

I guess that's why people are building websites like StackOverflow using VB6......
    How many servers SO uses? 6?

Cut that in half if it was written in VB6 :-))

cheers,
    </wqw>

Quote Originally Posted by wqweto View Post
    How many servers SO uses? 6?

Cut that in half if it was written in VB6 :-))

cheers,
    </wqw>
    And double the time it takes to write it

Quote Originally Posted by peterst View Post
    'Netters agree with 'Sixers... Where this world is going? Maybe soon all they will become JavaScripters
    Well, I am a partial .NuTter already but inside still a thorough 'sixer, through and through, it just won't wash out and as a result I feel clumsy, awkward and slow in .Nut. I am already a javascripter through and through too, for me it is just BASIC with braces.

I am used to writing polyfills and I've always done that. You will find some functions in my .js that mimic BASIC commands. When I am programming in .NuT I copy over my VB6 polyfilling functions that make the language easier for me to just type and 'code'. At the VMS command line (DIGITAL!) I had numerous unix commands implemented in DCL and I swing both ways in this one respect.
    Last edited by yereverluvinuncleber; Sep 23rd, 2021 at 05:05 AM.

I wish I had the discipline to document my code with external documentation. But I exemplify what they say about programmers being terrible at documentation. Going beyond comments in the source code is just something I find grueling. I've never been able to bring myself to go that far.
    I'm not saying it's GOOD, I'm saying it is voluminous. Well, I guess that IS a word, I wasn't sure.

What it ends up being is a mix of documentation and a record of how a design evolved over time.

I'm not saying it's GOOD, I'm saying it is voluminous. Well, I guess that IS a word, I wasn't sure.

What it ends up being is a mix of documentation and a record of how a design evolved over time.
    Yea, I can see how that can be messy. I would love to know how Microsoft always manages to create so much code while maintaining very ordered and detailed documentation. I seriously doubt that the actual coders are the ones writing those docs so I find it amazing that they are able to relay such accurate information to ones who are writing on how their stuff works. That is just so amazing.

Also:-

This this warms me inside. There is just so much in the world of .Net. I just love seeing people make/find/show new stuff that makes programming more productive. You 'sixers don't know what you're missing.

I wonder if vbRichClient has something like that to make validation a little less tedious to write....hmmmmm

Also note the intellisense. You hardly have to type anything. Code practically writes itself.

VB6 is better than this? Yea right. Let's get real here.
    Last edited by Niya; Sep 23rd, 2021 at 10:48 AM.

Personally, I hate intellisense. I just write code and tab it in when necessary. Intellisense always tends to get in the way and the first thing I do is to turn it off. I learn from trying to do things not by having a machine do it for me. Bloated IDEs are the last thing I want and the majority of what most other people want admittedly. I want my tools to be compact and quick to load.

I always write the documentation slightly before or just slightly after I have implemented some functionality. A periodic return to the documentation keeps it up to date. I follow a standard regarding layout, content, titles and images. The documentation often serves as a design document at times when I will flesh out my intentions just prior to coding. This isn't always the case.

Regardless, my documentation will be complete for all my projects well before I have finished bug-fixing and often before tuning and/or re-implementation of critical components.

Yea, I can see how that can be messy. I would love to know how Microsoft always manages to create so much code while maintaining very ordered and detailed documentation. I seriously doubt that the actual coders are the ones writing those docs so I find it amazing that they are able to relay such accurate information to ones who are writing on how their stuff works. That is just so amazing.
    It's not ALWAYS so good, or even complete. I was just looking at some stuff the other day that was really deficient. Also, there's a name for it, which I totally forget, but this is a start:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/vis...s?view=vs-2019

I've long known about that as a means of adding documentation, but I didn't realize that this is what MS uses to create all the MSDN documentation. That's why so much of it has the same structure.

Personally, I hate intellisense.
    Probably because of your background. I remember thinking that intellisense was worthless when I was working in VB6. For that reason, I was also turning it off when I started in .NET, because it had been such crap in the past. Eventually, I realized that it had been greatly improved, and could be used to write code faster, though you do have to train your hands a bit. Intellisense was also always broken in C#, and working in VB, but beginning with either 2013 or 2015, MS fixed this discrepancy...unfortunately, they did do by breaking intellisense in VB, and so it remains to this day: Broken in both.

It's still advantageous, but not all that it could be.

The inferior intellisense in the very first thing I notice every time I go back to the VB6 IDE. You know it's funny, I never used to feel that way before I used a post-VB6 Visual Studio IDE. I was fine with it but I after I got accustomed to the modern IDE, boy does it feel painful as hell writing code in the VB6 IDE. I feel like I'm programming in slow motion lol.

Also, one of the most annoying things they got rid of from is that pesky thing where VB6 always validates a line and throw up a message box whenever you move the cursor off a line and it has a syntax error. This thing drives me absolutely crazy. Modern versions of Visual Studio don't annoy you like this. They just update post updates to a nice little window that lists all the syntax errors you have in your program. You're free to fix them whenever you want without being nagged. This tiny thing by itself makes such a huge difference. I often jump around to check things while writing code so I may not always write a syntactically correct line of code in a one go and having the VB6 IDE annoy me every time for it is just a no-no in my book. This used to annoy me even before our modern IDEs existed.

PowerPoster

Intellisense was also always broken in C#, and working in VB, but beginning with either 2013 or 2015, MS fixed this discrepancy...unfortunately, they did do by breaking intellisense in VB, and so it remains to this day: Broken in both.
    Name:  roflol.png
Views: 280
Size:  21.7 KB

That's really funny

PowerPoster

Also, one of the most annoying things they got rid of from is that pesky thing where VB6 always validates a line and throw up a message box whenever you move the cursor off a line and it has a syntax error. This thing drives me absolutely crazy. Modern versions of Visual Studio don't annoy you like this. They just update post updates to a nice little window that lists all the syntax errors you have in your program. You're free to fix them whenever you want without being nagged. This tiny thing by itself makes such a huge difference. I often jump around to check things while writing code so I may not always write a syntactically correct line of code in a one go and having the VB6 IDE annoy me every time for it is just a no-no in my book. This used to annoy me even before our modern IDEs existed.

Easy to fix: menu Tools, Options, Editor tab, first item is "Auto Syntax Check", uncheck it.

It should have been the default I guess.

Enough people for this thread to go 14 pages long.
    oh! yes... appreciated.

Name:  roflol.png
Views: 280
Size:  21.7 KB

That's really funny
    In an annoying sort of way, it really is.

Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 411121314151617 ... LastLast