Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 241 to 280 of 302

Thread: Why is VB.Net/C#/XAML + VS2019 is better than VB6? Here's why.....

  1. #241
    PowerPoster kfcSmitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,248

    Re: Why is VB.Net/C#/XAML + VS2019 is better than VB6? Here's why.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Schmidt View Post
    schmidts post in #236.. not gonna have the whole thing in here
    No interest in implementing this in WPF. If my winforms knowledge was limited, my WPF is even more limited.

    However, when you list things like

    There's still some cosmetics to do on that part though (to be comparable to the VB6-version), as e.g.:
    - ensuring proper antialiasing
    - ensuring a checkerboard-background
    - showing only the "supporting points" of the spline (not the additional ones on the tangent)
    - different coloring for the end-points
    Your code literally sets properties

    Code:
    Set Canvas.BGPattern = Cairo.CreateCheckerPattern
          Canvas.RenderControlPoints = True
    So you've literally written an entire library that handles these scenarios, shown that it works, and want to see comparable code in WPF?

    I mean, if this is your entire library why not just make a function "myLibraryIsBetter" and call it in 1 line to prove it cannot be done in 1 line with WPF?

    It seems to me, you've written an entire library, have code leveraging that library in your demo, and now want someone to create the entire library with all its nuances and tweaks, so show it can be done in .NET (or I suppose WPF specicially)?

    With your successful curve-drawing, you still experienced "some of the pain" of course,
    because a video would have shown, that:
    - the NuGet package-manager was not helping you much (so, "point made" I guess)
    - you were not able to "remain in your IDE-Code-Window"...
    - but had to switch back and forward with google-searches until finding a "support-class" for TextProjection
    - then hanging it in, testing the original examples tha came with it, before integrating it into your own code
    Ah I see. This is the kind of argument you want to make?

    - Definitely, package managers on Linux are useless and don't bring any value to the OS because there are times when you can't find what you need on the package manager and need to search for it.
    - Show someone coding this in VB6 without finding your RC6 library.
    - Can you quickly show me how, after installing VB6 from scratch, someone would get your RC6 library? They surely have it automatically available to them and do not need to look anything up.

    It seems you're trying to show that your library is handy and has some nice functionality. I can't speak to that since I don't use it, but if that's what you're going for, cool. Based on what I've seen in the VB6 forums, I don't think anyone would deny that your library is universally useful for VB6 programmers.
    Last edited by kfcSmitty; Feb 5th, 2021 at 08:53 AM.

  2. #242
    Hyperactive Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    314

    Re: Why is VB.Net/C#/XAML + VS2019 is better than VB6? Here's why.....

    Quote Originally Posted by kfcSmitty View Post
    I meant .NET knowledge, although one post with a few lines of code also does not portray any real knowledge.
    For a junior developer, Spread is a control. For an advanced developer, Spread is a technology. For a programming master, Spread is a programming idea. It seems difficult for you to understand this. In addition, I'm defending VB6, why should I show you .NET knowledge? I can very clearly point out that the syntactic sugar and examples cited by .NET supporters here cannot prove that .NET is more advantageous than VB6 in desktop software development. This is the .NET knowledge I showed.

    Quote Originally Posted by kfcSmitty View Post
    I would agree with the first part, however you do the same. You constantly say VB6 is better than .NET, so I guess you're calling yourself an amateur developer? I've made a point in this thread to very specifically state that everything is subjective.
    Can you find out the post I just said that VB6 is better than .NET (original words)? Do you think I'm as naive as Niya? My point of view is that .NET does not show obvious advantages in desktop development, and syntactic sugar does not significantly improve development efficiency. A skilled VB6 developer, combined with some excellent frameworks (such as RC6), excellent components, and good design patterns, he may create higher development efficiency than .NET.

    Quote Originally Posted by kfcSmitty View Post
    I use both SQLite and custom in-memory databases every day in my job. However, not in production. The only in-memory database we use in production is memcache. The others are for development and testing, since I work in an MS SQL world. Maybe you need to stop being so ignorant and read into someone making vague statements. Again, you don't know anyone, but make an ignorant statement based off one line.
    Your comments in post #117 and post #125 show that you don't know anything about the MemDB mode of SqliteDB, and you think VB6 does not have this feature. It is true that VB6 does not have this function, but third-party COM components (such as RC6) can have this feature. Using COM components is a major feature of VB6, so you can't foresee how powerful VB6 is, because you can't foresee what COM components will appear. Who is ignorant?

    Quote Originally Posted by kfcSmitty View Post
    Imagine that: someone posts code with no reference to how cairo drawing works at all, with a picture of an end result and says "recreate this in .NET" -- so someone recreates it in .NET. I recreated what I saw, in 45 minutes. If you want someone to get into the nitty gritty of cairo drawing, maybe the code to RC6 can be posted publicly and someone who is an expert in that field can weigh in.
    The problem is that you don't understand what Olaf is talking about?

    Quote Originally Posted by kfcSmitty View Post
    Graphic designer. The design was ugly. Again, you make sweeping, insulting statmements, without knowing anything about me, or even understanding what I was saying.
    Do you think I don't understand what you are talking about? You work in a university, and you are a web developer, and you hate all the basic language syntax (which shows that you are not an open person), I can basically judge that you do not have the development experience of large and complex "commercial development platform", is this wrong? What I want to express is that you havenít experienced the "really efficient development model/platform"

    Quote Originally Posted by kfcSmitty View Post
    You do not and I find it funny you feel this way. Literally every time I have seen someone contradict you or suggest an alternative, you have attempted to belittle them. Again, your discourse in chit chat and the coronavirus thread are more than enough to show everyone how you handle a dicussion with opposing ideas.
    You don't seem to understand that the debate on technical issues is completely different from the debate on social issues (including political issues). Technology has uniform standards, and information is open and transparent to everyone, and there is no false information (even if there is false information, people can easily distinguish it).

    There is no uniform standard for social issues (including political issues). Pride, prejudice, political conspiracy, and cultural differences make a lot of false information on the Internet. It is difficult for the public to distinguish between true and false information. I don't want to continue to participate in the debates on social issues because I don't have the time and interest to provide some truth to those who are arrogant and prejudiced. I think these people should pay for their arrogance and prejudice.
    Last edited by SearchingDataOnly; Feb 5th, 2021 at 11:53 AM.

  3. #243
    Hyperactive Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    314

    Re: Why is VB.Net/C#/XAML + VS2019 is better than VB6? Here's why.....

    Quote Originally Posted by kfcSmitty View Post
    No interest in implementing this in WPF. If my winforms knowledge was limited, my WPF is even more limited.

    However, when you list things like



    Your code literally sets properties

    Code:
    Set Canvas.BGPattern = Cairo.CreateCheckerPattern
          Canvas.RenderControlPoints = True
    So you've literally written an entire library that handles these scenarios, shown that it works, and want to see comparable code in WPF?

    I mean, if this is your entire library why not just make a function "myLibraryIsBetter" and call it in 1 line to prove it cannot be done in 1 line with WPF?

    It seems to me, you've written an entire library, have code leveraging that library in your demo, and now want someone to create the entire library with all its nuances and tweaks, so show it can be done in .NET (or I suppose WPF specicially)?



    Ah I see. This is the kind of argument you want to make?

    - Definitely, package managers on Linux are useless and don't bring any value to the OS because there are times when you can't find what you need on the package manager and need to search for it.
    - Show someone coding this in VB6 without finding your RC6 library.
    - Can you quickly show me how, after installing VB6 from scratch, someone would get your RC6 library? They surely have it automatically available to them and do not need to look anything up.

    It seems you're trying to show that your library is handy and has some nice functionality. I can't speak to that since I don't use it, but if that's what you're going for, cool. Based on what I've seen in the VB6 forums, I don't think anyone would deny that your library is universally useful for VB6 programmers.
    As always, you canít understand what the other person is saying? Since you canít understand what others are saying, and you donít want to try other peopleís examples, and you hate all the basic-language syntax, why are you here to argue with others? You are wasting your own time as well as the time of others.

    Edit:

    Shaggy Hiker once moved my thread about VB6-2020 from the VB6 sub-forum to the Chit-Chat forum. I firmly request Shaggy Hiker to delete my thread, because the Chit-Chat forum always wastes too much time and energy of mine. I need to argue with people who have nothing to do with VB6. Actually, I just want to discuss some VB6 issues in vbForums, nothing more.
    Last edited by SearchingDataOnly; Feb 5th, 2021 at 11:59 AM.

  4. #244
    Frenzied Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    1,555

    Re: Why is VB.Net/C#/XAML + VS2019 is better than VB6? Here's why.....

    Quote Originally Posted by SearchingDataOnly View Post
    For a junior developer, Spread is a control. For an advanced developer, Spread is a technology. For a programming master, Spread is a programming idea.
    That makes it sound like a "programming master" doesn't need to actually create it, just have the idea to do so. Seems oddly fitting.

  5. #245
    Super Moderator Shaggy Hiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    36,143

    Re: Why is VB.Net/C#/XAML + VS2019 is better than VB6? Here's why.....

    Quote Originally Posted by SearchingDataOnly View Post
    To Shaggy Hiker and ChrisE:

    When Niya said others cheated and lied, no one said Niya was rude, but when I said that many VB6ers have more programming knowledge than Niya, you think I am rude.

    Let's stop arguing. We continue to wait for Niya's video.
    Niya is what he is. You cut down yourself and most other people with the exception of the few, like Olaf, that you extoll. I think I'm more annoyed that you put yourself down so often than what you say about others. If you don't believe what you are saying, you shouldn't be saying it. If you DO believe what you're saying....that's far worse.

    I trust that Niya said what he said specifically to get a reaction out of you. I don't think you are doing the same. I fear that you actually do believe what you say.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

  6. #246
    Super Moderator Shaggy Hiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    36,143

    Re: Why is VB.Net/C#/XAML + VS2019 is better than VB6? Here's why.....

    Quote Originally Posted by kfcSmitty View Post
    If you can show me where I am belitting someone for liking the VB style formatting, I will apoligise profusely.
    Darn, now I'm tempted to go scouring all your past threads. That sounds like some fine entertainment: A Canadian apologizing profusely. Still, you have a few too many threads to scour effectively...and I'm not really into scouring, anyways. I'd rather use power tools.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

  7. #247
    Super Moderator Shaggy Hiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    36,143

    Re: Why is VB.Net/C#/XAML + VS2019 is better than VB6? Here's why.....

    Quote Originally Posted by kfcSmitty View Post
    Based on what I've seen in the VB6 forums, I don't think anyone would deny that your library is universally useful for VB6 programmers.

    <Insert your snarky statement here>
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

  8. #248
    Hyperactive Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    314

    Re: Why is VB.Net/C#/XAML + VS2019 is better than VB6? Here's why.....

    Quote Originally Posted by OptionBase1 View Post
    That makes it sound like a "programming master" doesn't need to actually create it, just have the idea to do so. Seems oddly fitting.
    I don't know how to express what I mean, the word idea does not express what I mean correctly. To say that Spread is a design pattern does not seem to fully express what I mean.
    Last edited by SearchingDataOnly; Feb 5th, 2021 at 12:41 PM.

  9. #249
    Frenzied Member PlausiblyDamp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Newport, UK
    Posts
    1,401

    Re: Why is VB.Net/C#/XAML + VS2019 is better than VB6? Here's why.....

    Quote Originally Posted by SearchingDataOnly View Post
    Your comments in post #117 and post #125 show that you don't know anything about the MemDB mode of SqliteDB, and you think VB6 does not have this feature. It is true that VB6 does not have this function, but third-party COM components (such as RC6) can have this feature. Using COM components is a major feature of VB6, so you can't foresee how powerful VB6 is, because you can't foresee what COM components will appear. Who is ignorant?
    So .Net has the entirety of nuget.org as a major feature, so you can't forsee how powerful .Net is because you can't foresee what other nuget packages will appear. Who is ignorant?

  10. #250
    Super Moderator Shaggy Hiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    36,143

    Re: Why is VB.Net/C#/XAML + VS2019 is better than VB6? Here's why.....

    That's always an issue on a forum. The written word is only as good as the writer. When speaking, we include a whole lot based on inflection, pauses, body language, and so on. Communicating in the written word is always going to have two limitations. The first is simply the vocabulary of the writer and the reader. The writer has a limit to their vocabulary, since none of us use every word that we understand. The reader also has a limit, because they may not understand the word to mean the same thing that the writer meant it to mean. Lots of comedy sketches are based around this (see "who's on first") confusion.

    The second issue is that the written word leaves out all the other communication that goes along with the spoken word. That can be FAR greater than the words themselves.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

  11. #251
    Hyperactive Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    314

    Re: Why is VB.Net/C#/XAML + VS2019 is better than VB6? Here's why.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Niya is what he is. You cut down yourself and most other people with the exception of the few, like Olaf, that you extoll. I think I'm more annoyed that you put yourself down so often than what you say about others. If you don't believe what you are saying, you shouldn't be saying it. If you DO believe what you're saying....that's far worse.

    I trust that Niya said what he said specifically to get a reaction out of you. I don't think you are doing the same. I fear that you actually do believe what you say.
    Do you remember the weird and stupid thing I used to say "I have much more knowledge than you"? That's because I want to bring up another topic (that is, the Western media has allowed people to accept too much false information, so that a lot of people's knowledge is false and invalid), but such a topic is too time-consuming, so until the account of DreamManor was cancelled, and I did not post such a topic.

    I mention "programming knowledge" again and again here because I want to bring up another topic "how to identify professional programmers and amateur programmers". Because I think this is the source of endless controversy in the VB6 forum.

  12. #252
    Hyperactive Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    314

    Re: Why is VB.Net/C#/XAML + VS2019 is better than VB6? Here's why.....

    Quote Originally Posted by PlausiblyDamp View Post
    So .Net has the entirety of nuget.org as a major feature, so you can't forsee how powerful .Net is because you can't foresee what other nuget packages will appear. Who is ignorant?
    Therefore, I will not simply say that VB6 is better than .NET.

    Don't you know who initiated the comparison between .NET and VB6 here?

  13. #253
    Hyperactive Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    314

    Re: Why is VB.Net/C#/XAML + VS2019 is better than VB6? Here's why.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    That's always an issue on a forum. The written word is only as good as the writer. When speaking, we include a whole lot based on inflection, pauses, body language, and so on. Communicating in the written word is always going to have two limitations. The first is simply the vocabulary of the writer and the reader. The writer has a limit to their vocabulary, since none of us use every word that we understand. The reader also has a limit, because they may not understand the word to mean the same thing that the writer meant it to mean. Lots of comedy sketches are based around this (see "who's on first") confusion.

    The second issue is that the written word leaves out all the other communication that goes along with the spoken word. That can be FAR greater than the words themselves.
    Niya kept saying "He is spreading the truth". The word truth irritated me. However, I found that the meaning of "truth" in English is different from the meaning of "truth" in Chinese, but I cannot accurately express "truth in Chinese" with another English word.

    The English word Truth is translated into Chinese and has three meanings: "真理", "真相", and "道理", these three words have completely different meanings in Chinese.
    Last edited by SearchingDataOnly; Feb 5th, 2021 at 12:32 PM.

  14. #254
    PowerPoster kfcSmitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,248

    Re: Why is VB.Net/C#/XAML + VS2019 is better than VB6? Here's why.....

    @ Dreammanor all I can reply to your post is "lol"... I can't take you seriously anymore.. sorry

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Niya is what he is. You cut down yourself and most other people with the exception of the few, like Olaf, that you extoll. I think I'm more annoyed that you put yourself down so often than what you say about others. If you don't believe what you are saying, you shouldn't be saying it. If you DO believe what you're saying....that's far worse.

    I trust that Niya said what he said specifically to get a reaction out of you. I don't think you are doing the same. I fear that you actually do believe what you say.
    That is the reason I have to bow out of any responses to dreammannor... he is a very very angry and ... well I'll leave it at that. I've wasted far too much effort in this thread to try and reason with him, even to explain that people aren't bashing him when they say they don't like VB6, but, shown by the fact he keeps bolding the fact I don't like VB6 syntax, he takes everything very personally.

    I wish you all the best dreammanor and hopefully you learn to control your anger in the future... I shouldn't have been so blind to know your personality would carry across topics.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Darn, now I'm tempted to go scouring all your past threads. That sounds like some fine entertainment: A Canadian apologizing profusely. Still, you have a few too many threads to scour effectively...and I'm not really into scouring, anyways. I'd rather use power tools.
    If you think that'd be good, you should see when we bump into each other! It starts with both apoligising for bumping into each other, then they apologise for talking over each other, then they apologise for taking up their time! It goes on and on!


    Quote Originally Posted by PlausiblyDamp View Post
    So .Net has the entirety of nuget.org as a major feature, so you can't forsee how powerful .Net is because you can't foresee what other nuget packages will appear. Who is ignorant?
    That kinda is the crux of it... Maybe I was reading into what Schmidt said wrong, but when he said

    the NuGet package-manager was not helping you much (so, "point made" I guess)
    The "point made" I read as "see, nuget is not useful!"... But that seems like a silly statement that if you can't get absolutely everything you want from a tool, that it is useless or brings no value.

    The things Schmidt asks to be made also seem to be completely arbitrary and tied directly into what he likes. I see his comparisons like this:

    2 carpenters have tools for doing the job.

    Carpenter 1 has spent 15 years building houses for people. They're living happy in these houses, they're built solid, do what they need, have no issues with them.

    Carpenter 2 has spent 15 years doing fine detailing on furniture and hand-carving.

    They then meet and carpenter 2 starts telling carpenter 1 that their carpentry tools are inferior because they aren't able to do dovetailing as cleanly with them.

    Seems asinine to me.


    So for the 3rd (maybe 4th?) time in this thread: I'm not bashing VB6. I'm stating reasons I like C#. I hate VB syntax, that doesn't mean the syntax is inferior, only that I prefer the C style syntax.

    To bring others into this: I don't particularly like python's syntax either!

  15. #255
    Hyperactive Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    314

    Re: Why is VB.Net/C#/XAML + VS2019 is better than VB6? Here's why.....

    Hi kfcSmitty, I hope you can put me on the blacklist like wqweto, I'll thank you very much.

    In the COVID situation, no one can predict how long he can live. I just want to do something valuable as soon as possible. I don't want to waste more time. Thanks.

  16. #256
    Frenzied Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    1,555

    Re: Why is VB.Net/C#/XAML + VS2019 is better than VB6? Here's why.....

    Quote Originally Posted by SearchingDataOnly View Post
    Hi kfcSmitty, I hope you can put me on the blacklist like wqweto, I'll thank you very much.

    In the COVID situation, no one can predict how long he can live. I just want to do something valuable as soon as possible. I don't want to waste more time. Thanks.
    But, according to "Eastern Media", China hasn't had any cases of Covid in something like 8 months, so if that is true, then you have nothing to worry about. Perhaps "hemispherical media" are quite similar no matter how you slice the Earth.

  17. #257
    Super Moderator Shaggy Hiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    36,143

    Re: Why is VB.Net/C#/XAML + VS2019 is better than VB6? Here's why.....

    Quote Originally Posted by SearchingDataOnly View Post

    I mention "programming knowledge" again and again here because I want to bring up another topic "how to identify professional programmers and amateur programmers". Because I think this is the source of endless controversy in the VB6 forum.
    Yeah, I've seen some of that. I'd rather the topic not be brought up, personally. I'd rather the distinction not be made. In the US, you are a professional if you are paid for what you are doing, otherwise you are an amateur. That's a VERY misleading, and often disingenuous, distinction in the US....but we use it anyways. I've never known it to be used to help people. It's almost always used to hurt people. Therefore, I'd rather it be left out. Still, I'm well aware that people make that distinction anyways.

    For me, I'm a fish biologist who has been paid as a programmer for over a decade. The programs I wrote when I was paid as a fish biologist are still in use...because they fill a need and are easy to use. One of them, is actually pretty good. I wouldn't say the same for another one, but it was used for 20+ years (and may still be in use, but that's an area I don't want to venture into). Technically, I was an amateur while writing those, as I wasn't paid to write them. Another one was so highly regarded that it launched a massive boondoggle that has so far consumed more than 10 years and several million dollars. I was kicked to the curb on that project before it even began, and have watched it progress with considerable astonishment. It's being run like somebody (I can't say exactly who) has some blackmail on those in charge.

    Still, I was technically an amateur then, technically a professional now. In practice, it's all just a continuum. That which I am paid to write is nowhere near as technically advanced as what I write as a hobby. So, the distinction shouldn't matter, but people do bring it up.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

  18. #258
    PowerPoster ChrisE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Frankfurt
    Posts
    2,794

    Re: Why is VB.Net/C#/XAML + VS2019 is better than VB6? Here's why.....

    Quote Originally Posted by SearchingDataOnly View Post

    I mention "programming knowledge" again and again here because I want to bring up another topic "how to identify professional programmers and amateur programmers". Because I think this is the source of endless controversy in the VB6 forum.
    well a professional programmer(s) must have the skill to communicate, IMO you sometimes lose control. Take my advise or not but....
    think about what you want to say;write to somebody.... don't just let it all flow out without thinking.

    one just need's a single Button_Click or if you like Command1_Click to set you of with a frase like..... well that's not possible in VB6, in .Net that is easy..
    don't get me wrong, I like people that defend what the like, but you sometimes write things without thinking
    to hunt a species to extinction is not logical !
    since 2010 the number of Tigers are rising again in 2016 - 3900 were counted. with Baby Callas it's 3901, my wife and I had 2-3 months the privilege of raising a Baby Tiger.

  19. #259
    Frenzied Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,441

    Re: Why is VB.Net/C#/XAML + VS2019 is better than VB6? Here's why.....

    for me the most annoying people are those that always want to compete and tells that their language is better.
    but its all about experience and what you use it for.
    if I keep doing math programs, I will get better and better, if of course I always try to reach the best possible result with what Im doing.
    an "old" language can be both pros and cons, since the limitation force the programmer to come up with solution out of the box, that alone could push the programmer to get even better and surpass his own limitations.

    a language is only as good as the programmers capability to use its functionality.

    like a commodore 64, it made programmers reach its limits to do things they are amazing for such limited computer.
    and its SID-chip that could create music and sound in such a way that still today theres people taking aspiration from it.

    for me VB6 is like a commodore 64, it feels limitless . just for that part alone, VB6 has already won. no competition really. VB6 can do, still today a lot, and almost anything you show in .NET it can be reproduced in VB6.
    that should be celebrated, not looked down to.
    .NET will always be "the after". but VB6 will always be the IDE that marked basic as one the best visual/rad languages in programming languages.
    Im still using is, to celebrate it, but to remember it and to not forget about it. also, it still works, so its not that I dont have use for it.

  20. #260
    Software Carpenter dee-u's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Pinas
    Posts
    11,077

    Re: Why is VB.Net/C#/XAML + VS2019 is better than VB6? Here's why.....

    Quote Originally Posted by szlamany View Post
    Since 2011, my 4GL is 18,000+ lines of JavaScript code. I've got all my clients using this same 4GL - it's totally business agnostic and totally over the top in what it gives the business world programmer (I've got a mature report writer ported from VB6, running in IIS - Crystal sucks - I exploit the .Net PDFSharp library for report content delivery - I could go on and on).
    Do you obfuscate your javascript so the user cannot view/modify it? I've always been interested in your "framework" but haven't quite tried imitating it in practice, especially your reporting tool since it what keeps me from writing a full-pledged web app, the lack of a versatile reporting tool.
    Regards,

    ô

    As a gesture of gratitude please consider rating helpful posts. c",)

    Some stuffs: Mouse Hotkey | Compress file using SQL Server! | WPF - Rounded Combobox | WPF - Notify Icon and Balloon | NetVerser - a WPF chatting system

  21. #261
    Hyperactive Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    314

    Re: Why is VB.Net/C#/XAML + VS2019 is better than VB6? Here's why.....

    Quote Originally Posted by OptionBase1 View Post
    But, according to "Eastern Media", China hasn't had any cases of Covid in something like 8 months, so if that is true, then you have nothing to worry about. Perhaps "hemispherical media" are quite similar no matter how you slice the Earth.
    Indeed, I'm not worried about death or contracting COVID, but our work and life are still greatly affected. Maybe we have to start to adapt to life decoupled from the United States, which makes everything in the future full of uncertainty. It makes me full of anxiety and urgency.

  22. #262
    PowerPoster kfcSmitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,248

    Re: Why is VB.Net/C#/XAML + VS2019 is better than VB6? Here's why.....

    Quote Originally Posted by baka View Post
    for me the most annoying people are those that always want to compete and tells that their language is better.
    Funny enough I tried to turn the thread a little positive by focusing on things I like about my language, with no mention of comparison to another language, even specifically stating that it had nothing to do with the other language. What did the people who use the other language do? Try to tell me I'm stupid lol.

    It is funny that certain people in the thread state that those who like C style syntax are elitists with their { and }, but all I see are the VB6 users telling people they're not real programmers because they don't think they know their language of choice.

    Sounds like elitism to me!

  23. #263
    Fanatic Member Delaney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    622

    Re: Why is VB.Net/C#/XAML + VS2019 is better than VB6? Here's why.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Yeah, I've seen some of that. I'd rather the topic not be brought up, personally. I'd rather the distinction not be made. In the US, you are a professional if you are paid for what you are doing, otherwise you are an amateur. That's a VERY misleading, and often disingenuous, distinction in the US....but we use it anyways. I've never known it to be used to help people. It's almost always used to hurt people. Therefore, I'd rather it be left out. Still, I'm well aware that people make that distinction anyways.
    We have the same distinction in France but maybe with a small difference, you are a pro if you do it for a living not just if you get paid. I explain myself: I do some code at work for some project (like calculus application, sensor/actuator piloting,etc ) and I get paid for it but not only for that. I am still an amateur and not a professional as it is not my primary activity in my job. It is the same for my electronics colleague who creates its own cards and programs the embedded code.

    The other point I see is that people usually associated the title (pro/amateur) with the skill level which is most of the time OK but not always : I know some amateurs who are much more skilled than some professional.

    finally, there are a lot of fields/specialties in programming : database, web, game, etc... And I am almost sure you cannot master all but you can master one or two fields and that's depends of your former experience and of the application you have already made. So you can be at the same time a junior and a master.

    By the way, a true master is first a student, second a teacher...
    Last edited by Delaney; Feb 5th, 2021 at 06:23 PM.
    The best friend of any programmer is a search engine
    "Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better. Don't wish for less problems, wish for more skills. Don't wish for less challenges, wish for more wisdom" (J. Rohn)

  24. #264
    Hyperactive Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    314

    Re: Why is VB.Net/C#/XAML + VS2019 is better than VB6? Here's why.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Yeah, I've seen some of that. I'd rather the topic not be brought up, personally. I'd rather the distinction not be made. In the US, you are a professional if you are paid for what you are doing, otherwise you are an amateur. That's a VERY misleading, and often disingenuous, distinction in the US....but we use it anyways. I've never known it to be used to help people. It's almost always used to hurt people. Therefore, I'd rather it be left out. Still, I'm well aware that people make that distinction anyways.

    For me, I'm a fish biologist who has been paid as a programmer for over a decade. The programs I wrote when I was paid as a fish biologist are still in use...because they fill a need and are easy to use. One of them, is actually pretty good. I wouldn't say the same for another one, but it was used for 20+ years (and may still be in use, but that's an area I don't want to venture into). Technically, I was an amateur while writing those, as I wasn't paid to write them. Another one was so highly regarded that it launched a massive boondoggle that has so far consumed more than 10 years and several million dollars. I was kicked to the curb on that project before it even began, and have watched it progress with considerable astonishment. It's being run like somebody (I can't say exactly who) has some blackmail on those in charge.

    Still, I was technically an amateur then, technically a professional now. In practice, it's all just a continuum. That which I am paid to write is nowhere near as technically advanced as what I write as a hobby. So, the distinction shouldn't matter, but people do bring it up.
    If we simply divide programmers into professional programmers and amateur programmers, it will cause many misunderstandings. Maybe it should be divided like this: amateur programmers, scientist programmers, professional programmers, commercial software programmers, but such a division cannot solve the disputes in the VB6 forum.

    In my opinion, programming knowledge can be divided into two types: proprietary programming knowledge and public(general) programming knowledge. Proprietary programming knowledge refers to the programming experience, algorithm logic, etc. accumulated by certain people in certain fields. Public(general) programming knowledge refers to public(general) programming knowledge that can be applied to all fields. There is no point in talking about proprietary programming knowledge in this public forum. What makes sense is only public(general) programming knowledge. Therefore, my vision is to define whether a person is a professional programmer or an amateur programmer according to public(general) programming knowledge.

    I once said that in the VB6 forum, the vast majority of people have programming knowledge less than 5% of Olaf. The programming knowledge mentioned here actually refers to public (general) programming knowledge.

    For example: Baka has long-term accumulation in game programming. Obviously his proprietary programming knowledge is very rich, but his public(general) programming knowledge is very small (less than 5% of Olaf). Similarly, Eduardo and Niya's public(general) programming knowledge is also less than 5% of Olaf, which also led to endless quarrels in the VB6 forum.

    I'm a commercial software developer. I've developed many large commercial softwares and wrote millions of codes, but my public(general) programming knowledge is only 20% of Olaf's, but I can fully understand what Olaf said. I know that his technical plan and direction are extremely correct, but I cannot persuade other people to support Olaf's plan like me.

    In my opinion, if a person's public(general) programming knowledge can reach 10% of Olaf, then he can be called a professional programmer, otherwise he can only be called an amateur programmer. In most cases, amateur programmers cannot understand the ideas of professional programmers. This is why VB6 forums are always arguing endlessly, and there is such a strange phenomenon: people with less programming knowledge laugh at more programming knowledge People, amateur programmers laugh at professional programmers.

    I've proposed the concepts of VB6-1996 and VB6-2020:

    (1) VB6-1998:
    The main technologies used by people who use VB6-1998 are: UserControl, Win-APIs, Subclass, DAO, ADO, Access, SQLServer. Some people use Html, XML, and VBScript in small amounts. These people mainly use VB6-1998 to develop and maintain some old Win-Apps.

    (2) VB6-2020 (it is 100% compatible with VB6-1998):
    In addition to using all the technologies of VB6-1998, the main technologies used by people who use VB6-2020 are: RC5/RC6, ActionScript, Hash-Table, Sqlite (including MemDB), Cairo, Html5, WebKit, WebView, JS -Libs, WebServer, Ngnix, VBFastCGI, JSON, XML, Serialization/Deserialization, Web-APIs, OpenUI5, SPA. These people mainly use VB6-2020 to develop modern Win-Apps and transform old Win-Apps.

    It can be seen from the above that the developers of VB6-2020 have much more public(general) programming knowledge than the developers of VB6-1996.

    The reason why I put forward the concept of professional programmers and amateur programmers is to let everyone in the VB6 forum clearly recognize their technical level (public/general programming knowledge level), and reach an agreement as soon as possible to promote the development of VB6. If no agreement can be reached, professional programmers and amateur programmers develop the new VB6 they want according to their respective directions and needs.
    Last edited by SearchingDataOnly; Feb 5th, 2021 at 05:15 PM.

  25. #265
    MS SQL Powerposter szlamany's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    18,012

    Re: Why is VB.Net/C#/XAML + VS2019 is better than VB6? Here's why.....

    Quote Originally Posted by dee-u View Post
    Do you obfuscate your javascript so the user cannot view/modify it? I've always been interested in your "framework" but haven't quite tried imitating it in practice, especially your reporting tool since it what keeps me from writing a full-pledged web app, the lack of a versatile reporting tool.
    I don't worry about obfuscating my JavaScript - the back end and how things are stored in the configuration tables in the database are a large part of this.

    I've been thinking about trying to monetize my report writer. Thinking of putting up a server where you send it a JSON array of "data rows" and some "report markup" and it returns a PDF to you.

    This PDF is made from the markup shown below. Would you use a service like this?

    Name:  rpt3.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  11.3 KB

    Code:
    [{"What": "Landscape"}
    ,{"What": "Font", "Setting": "Times New Roman"}
    ,{"What": "Fontsize", "Value": 12}
    ,{"What": "FontBold", "Setting": true}
    ,{"What": "Item wo/CR", "XPos": 6500, "Item": "Course Roster"}
    ,{"What": "Fontsize", "Value": 10}
    ,{"What": "Item wo/CR", "XPos": 100, "Item": "Term: "}
    ,{"What": "Column wo/CR", "XPos": -1, "Column": 0}
    ,{"What": "Item wo/CR", "XPos": 12500, "Item": ""}
    ,{"What": "Date"}
    ,{"What": "Skip to next line"}
    ,{"What": "Skip to next line"}
    ,{"What": "Item wo/CR", "XPos": 100, "Item": "Course: "}
    ,{"What": "Column wo/CR", "XPos": -1, "Column": 6}
    ,{"What": "Item wo/CR", "XPos": 11500, "Item": "Faculty: "}
    ,{"What": "Column wo/CR", "XPos": -1, "Column": 3}
    ,{"What": "Skip to next line"}
    ,{"What": "Item wo/CR", "XPos": 100, "Item": "Section: "}
    ,{"What": "Column wo/CR", "XPos": -1, "Column": 5}
    ,{"What": "Item wo/CR", "XPos": 11500, "Item": "Fac Id: "}
    ,{"What": "Column wo/CR", "XPos": -1, "Column": 4}
    ,{"What": "Skip to next line"}
    ,{"What": "Skip to next line"}
    ,{"What": "Item wo/CR", "XPos": 100, "Item": "Info:"}
    ,{"What": "Column wo/CR", "XPos": -1, "Column": 14}
    ,{"What": "Skip to next line"}
    ,{"What": "Skip to next line"}
    ,{"What": "Item wo/CR", "XPos": 100, "Item": "Last Name"}
    ,{"What": "Item wo/CR", "XPos": 2200, "Item": "First Name"}
    ,{"What": "Item wo/CR", "XPos": 3800, "Item": "Student Id"}
    ,{"What": "Item wo/CR", "XPos": 5000, "Item": "Mid-Term"}
    ,{"What": "Item wo/CR", "XPos": 6000, "Item": "Final"}
    ,{"What": "Item wo/CR", "XPos": 6700, "Item": "Advisor"}
    ,{"What": "Item wo/CR", "XPos": 10300, "Item": "Dual Credit"}
    ,{"What": "Item w/CR", "XPos": 11500, "Item": "High School"}
    ,{"What": "FontBold", "Setting": false}
    ,{"What": "Skip to next line"}
    ,{"What": "Header Control", "Size": 50}
    ,{"What": "Column wo/CR", "XPos": 100, "Column": 9}
    ,{"What": "Column wo/CR", "XPos": 2200, "Column": 8}
    ,{"What": "Column wo/CR", "XPos": 3900, "Column": 7}
    ,{"What": "Column wo/CR", "XPos": 5200, "Column": 12}
    ,{"What": "Column wo/CR", "XPos": 6000, "Column": 13}
    ,{"What": "Column wo/CR", "XPos": 6700, "Column": 15}
    ,{"What": "Column wo/CR", "XPos": 10850, "Column": 10}
    ,{"What": "Column w/CR", "XPos": 11500, "Column": 11}

    *** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

    Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

    Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

    MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

  26. #266
    Hyperactive Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    314

    Re: Why is VB.Net/C#/XAML + VS2019 is better than VB6? Here's why.....

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
    well a professional programmer(s) must have the skill to communicate, IMO you sometimes lose control. Take my advise or not but....
    think about what you want to say;write to somebody.... don't just let it all flow out without thinking.

    one just need's a single Button_Click or if you like Command1_Click to set you of with a frase like..... well that's not possible in VB6, in .Net that is easy..
    don't get me wrong, I like people that defend what the like, but you sometimes write things without thinking
    Arguments during the day have greatly affected my work. Arguments at night have greatly compressed my sleep time. This has created a vicious circle. My physical and mental conditions have become worse and worse, and I am very easy to get angry. Development work is basically at a standstill.

    The debate in the coronavirus thread last year became a nightmare of my life. When I destroyed the account of DreamManor, my work and life returned to normal. In the following months, my project was completed. Now, I am caught in this nightmare again, it is really terrible. Today, my sleep time was deprived again, completely deprived.
    Last edited by SearchingDataOnly; Feb 5th, 2021 at 05:14 PM.

  27. #267
    PowerPoster
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    5,472

    Re: Why is VB.Net/C#/XAML + VS2019 is better than VB6? Here's why.....

    Quote Originally Posted by kfcSmitty View Post
    No interest in implementing this in WPF.
    If my winforms knowledge was limited, my WPF is even more limited.
    Well - this thread was opened by Niya, to show how superior .NET+WPF is,
    compared to VB6.

    So he's comparing about about 500MB of supporting ClassLibraries with a basically "naked language".
    (which in itself is already "as wrong as can be" - but nobody of the .NET-afficionados here is pointing that out for him).

    Quote Originally Posted by kfcSmitty View Post
    However, when you list things like

    There's still some cosmetics to do on that part though (to be comparable to the VB6-version), as e.g.:
    - ensuring proper antialiasing
    - ensuring a checkerboard-background
    - showing only the "supporting points" of the spline (not the additional ones on the tangent)
    - different coloring for the end-points
    Your code literally sets properties

    Code:
    Set Canvas.BGPattern = Cairo.CreateCheckerPattern
          Canvas.RenderControlPoints = True
    So you've literally written an entire library that handles these scenarios, shown that it works, and want to see comparable code in WPF?
    Yes, the lib handles "these scenarios" (and a whole lot of non-GUI-topics too, when you check out the VB6-section) ...
    at least as good as .NET+WPF - where's the problem?

    Again, when comparing 500MB+ ClassLib-functionality of .NET+WPF with a "naked VB6",
    I think you should allow the introduction of at least one of the COM-libs (out of the huge COM-universe),
    to add some support (via a Project-Reference) on top of the "COM-glueing-language" the native compiler provides for us VB6'ers.

    In prior threads (over in the VB6-section, which Niya was "terrorizing" over the last two weeks),
    I've already brought a whole lot of arguments why clear distinctions between:
    - "pure language-features"
    - and "extended features + functionality provided by Class-Libs"
    should be made... pointing out there, that larger timesavings come primarily:
    from library- and not from language-features.

    With the VB6-example I've posted (which nobody want's to fully implement in .NET apparently),
    I just wanted to underline these points I've just made.

    There's probably a whole lot of .NETers who agree with that simple truth -
    (that good libs are more important than languages, when it comes to major time-savings) -
    but nobody of you seemd to be willing, to point that out to Niya.

    Quote Originally Posted by kfcSmitty View Post
    I mean, if this is your entire library why not just make a function "myLibraryIsBetter"...
    Why so aggressive all of a sudden?

    Quote Originally Posted by kfcSmitty View Post
    It seems to me, you've written an entire library ...
    and now want someone to create the entire library with all its nuances and tweaks,
    so show it can be done in .NET (or I suppose WPF specicially)?
    I've explained above what I wanted to show - and I think I was successful.

    Any Language-comparison (especially in terms of "productivity") is completely pointless from the get go,
    when those languages are able to access external libs (which most languages on this planet do).

    As for NuGet - it's useful to have "a central place you can go to, to extend your library- and tool-stack".

    Though in some earlier posting in this thread, it was listed as "one of the main-advantages over VB6" -
    which blows things entirely "out of proportion", because via simple googling (as you had to, to solve the Projection-problem) -
    you'll find "missing parts of functionality" equally well.

    For VB6ers, there's of course the "central repository" here in the CodeBank -
    and since a few months there's now also about 16000 former PSC-VB6-Projects available via FullTextSearch in a central GitHub-Repo
    (beside tons of other WebSites which offer COM-Classes either in AX-libs or in Code-form, as does the Win-OS itself).

    Quote Originally Posted by kfcSmitty View Post
    It seems you're trying to show that your library is handy...
    Well, not really - because... "it is known" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foqUPiwMiOM

    As said, nobody else was apparently trying to bring a counterpoint into Niyas thread -
    and therefore I did (hoping that my contributions are useful, in forming a "more well-rounded opinion about things")

    Olaf

  28. #268
    Super Moderator Shaggy Hiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    36,143

    Re: Why is VB.Net/C#/XAML + VS2019 is better than VB6? Here's why.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Schmidt View Post
    So he's comparing about about 500MB of supporting ClassLibraries with a basically "naked language".
    (which in itself is already "as wrong as can be" - but nobody of the .NET-afficionados here is pointing that out for him).

    Olaf
    Probably because we all know how silly that is. Are you talking about the framework? The thing that is built into the OS such that nobody includes it anymore? Are you suggesting that Win10 is bloated, or are you suggesting anybody doesn't know that? Also, does anybody care? Just took a look. You can get a terrabyte microSD card for about $25. My point is not the microSD card, it's that memory has become so absurdly cheap and plentiful that you can not only get it in a chip that you could lose in the cushions of the couch, but you might not even bother retrieving it. You're complaining about 500 MB when it has a price tag of around a dollar?

    Of course, the point of Core is to get away from the framework, so make your argument as quick as you can, because it's beginning to not just be absurd, but wrong, as well.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

  29. #269
    Super Moderator Shaggy Hiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    36,143

    Re: Why is VB.Net/C#/XAML + VS2019 is better than VB6? Here's why.....

    Quote Originally Posted by SearchingDataOnly View Post

    In my opinion, programming knowledge can be divided into two types: proprietary programming knowledge and public(general) programming knowledge. Proprietary programming knowledge refers to the programming experience, algorithm logic, etc. accumulated by certain people in certain fields. Public(general) programming knowledge refers to public(general) programming knowledge that can be applied to all fields. There is no point in talking about proprietary programming knowledge in this public forum. What makes sense is only public(general) programming knowledge. Therefore, my vision is to define whether a person is a professional programmer or an amateur programmer according to public(general) programming knowledge.
    That's a very good point. There are people who are particularly good at certain areas of programming. It's also why it's dangerous to generalize about programming knowledge on this forum. There are certain people I really want to talk to about certain questions, and those people tend to answer any thread in their area (boops boops and graphics come to mind). Do they not answer threads in other areas because they don't have knowledge in that area, or because they just aren't interested in the question? I certainly don't answer threads that don't interest me.

    I also don't much care what people say about me. If you care so much that this thread is affecting your health, you REALLY shouldn't be here. There is NOTHING on this forum that should have that much impact on you. There is NOTHING in discussing anything about programming that comes anywhere close to the importance of your health.

    Back when I was in school, I got working on a game with some friends (on an early Apple II, of all things). It was engaging, but my grades dropped. I walked away and didn't look back, as did the others. It just wasn't worth it, as interesting as it was.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

  30. #270
    Super Moderator Shaggy Hiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    36,143

    Re: Why is VB.Net/C#/XAML + VS2019 is better than VB6? Here's why.....

    Quote Originally Posted by szlamany View Post
    I've been thinking about trying to monetize my report writer. Thinking of putting up a server where you send it a JSON array of "data rows" and some "report markup" and it returns a PDF to you.
    I do see a use for something like this, but I wouldn't be ready to take advantage of it for at least another year.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

  31. #271
    PowerPoster
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    5,472

    Re: Why is VB.Net/C#/XAML + VS2019 is better than VB6? Here's why.....

    Quote Originally Posted by SearchingDataOnly View Post
    Now, I am caught in this nightmare again, it is really terrible.
    Since you mentioned, that staying away from such "heated discussions" was helpful to you earlier,
    the solution to avoid further sleep-deprivation on your end, seems obvious to me...

    And just for the record - I personally feel extremely uncomfortable, when you bring your "percentage-comparisons".
    Besides, putting somebody on a podestal (in a public forum) is not really helpful,
    neither for the person on the podestal, nor for your argumentation.

    Definitely not in "western culture".
    It might be a bit different in "eastern-" or "asian culture", where:
    "deference to subjectively perceived superiority" seems to be more willingly accepted...
    (for the sake of a better functioning society or "social group", the individual recognizes and tolerates "hierarchic structures" with less "fussing about it",... IMO).

    But as said - it's an absolute "no-go" in western culture, where the ideal most are striving for is:
    "the individual with a free spirit".

    In german-language - we have the nice old word "Freigeist" for that.
    with the implication, that no "Freigeist" is better or worse than any other "Freigeist"...
    "The Individual Rules!" ... (it's ingrained in our "western heads" to take that idealistic, personal stance, which borders on "anarchy")...

    So, to keep society functioning, a stance like that requires adherence to a few written and unwritten rules ...
    as e.g. "tolerance" (including the tolerance for "somebody not getting something" or having a "completely different opinion") -
    Hard to do of course (I fail often enough) - but who said Life was easy...

    Don't get me wrong - I'm not trying to imply that "western culture" is better than "eastern culture" - far from it.

    But I think, that knowing better about "the western mindset" could have helped you to keep your calm -
    especially in the discussion which caused you, to finally abandon your first user-account here.

    Please let me know, in case I was entirely "off-grid" with my above assumptions about "the eastern mindset".

    Olaf
    Last edited by Schmidt; Feb 5th, 2021 at 10:22 PM.

  32. #272
    PowerPoster
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    5,472

    Re: Why is VB.Net/C#/XAML + VS2019 is better than VB6? Here's why.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Are you talking about the framework?
    In case you mean that ~500MB-download which rolls in as a .NET-package any other month via Windows-Update, yes...
    (just as a comparison, there's entire Linux-OS-Desktop-Images, which are 10 times smaller).

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Are you suggesting that Win10 is bloated, or are you suggesting anybody doesn't know that?
    I guess I do... especially because most people know that (and then use it anyways).

    If I can do the same things with a library that is ~3MB zipped
    (compared to a library-stack which is roughly two orders of magnitude larger),
    then - as a technician - I smell "sloppy work" - and obviously choose the lib-package with the lesser foot-print.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Also, does anybody care?
    Obviously not ... kind of sad, isn't it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Of course, the point of Core is to get away from the framework, ...
    Hmm, did you ever ask yourself, why?
    (... they tried to refactor it, making it smaller ... did they not read your arguments, that this is completely unnecessary)?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    ...so make your argument as quick as you can, because it's beginning to not just be absurd, but wrong, as well.
    Nah, have already taken a look at the newest .NET-core 5 - and they have (admittedly) "cleaned up" quite a bit.

    But the SDK (without any IDE) is still about 180MB compressed (for Win-x64).

    The new .NET5-Desktop-Runtime is smaller, but still about 53MB compressed (for Win-x64).
    So, still about factor 20 larger than the binaries the VB6 native compiler has produced (in a COM-wrapper with comparable functionality).

    I guess what I'm trying to bring across is not "the larger size itself"
    (you are right, that current hardware supports that "bigger is better" paradigm without choking too much) -

    What I meant to bring to attention instead (from a technical view-point) is the "easily avoidable size" (without loosing anything).
    COM-libs are without a doubt the better technical vehicle, to encapsulate larger Class-functionality.

    MS knows that - and is producing these Libs for mission-critical functionality using VC++ (WebView2, DirectX, Direct2D, DirectWrite, MS-Office).
    And besides VC++ there's of course this "other tool", which is capable to produce native COM-libs with ease
    (still in 32Bit and Win-only, but that will change in the next years).


    Olaf

  33. #273
    Super Moderator Shaggy Hiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    36,143

    Re: Why is VB.Net/C#/XAML + VS2019 is better than VB6? Here's why.....

    Well, that seems reasonable.

    You remember, as I do, when the size of code was utterly essential. I kept caring about it far longer than it made sense to do so, but eventually I realized it just didn't matter. I would prefer that what MS is doing with code were more modularized. A thread about that came out in .NET some six months, or so, back, regarding the IDE. I doubt there is anybody in the world who uses EVERY feature in VS. The options are now...MANY MANY pages. To some extent, I see the point: You can customize the experience in darn near every possible way. There were default features in VS2010 that are now options (and not default options) in VS2019. Due to the VAST number of options, it's easy to not find the one you care about. That's a form of bloat, too. Humans say they want more options, but in fact, more options tend to stress them out. The thread in the forum largely came to the conclusion that a whole lot more of the IDE should be opt in rather than on by default. The same could be said of the framework.

    On the other hand, who knows where the future goes.

    Also, that was an excellent reply to DreamManor. You made some good points. I hope he will take your words kindly. I certainly don't want anybody to be feeling any distress about being here.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

  34. #274
    PowerPoster
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Modesto, Ca.
    Posts
    4,682

    Re: Why is VB.Net/C#/XAML + VS2019 is better than VB6? Here's why.....

    Yeah, for some strange reason I also miss having to work with 1mb of ram. It seem like took more talent but that's probably just rose colored glasses. But I also miss my hair but no one really cares about either situation. lol

    SH, your right, it doesn't matter if Win 10 or programs are bloated. They run just fine and if you need more memory, it's a cheap fix. Maybe it diminishes the programming skill set required but if the program does the job the client wants in a timely enough manner, then what can you really criticize.

  35. #275
    PowerPoster ChrisE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Frankfurt
    Posts
    2,794

    Re: Why is VB.Net/C#/XAML + VS2019 is better than VB6? Here's why.....

    Quote Originally Posted by SearchingDataOnly View Post
    Arguments during the day have greatly affected my work. Arguments at night have greatly compressed my sleep time. This has created a vicious circle. My physical and mental conditions have become worse and worse, and I am very easy to get angry. Development work is basically at a standstill.

    The debate in the coronavirus thread last year became a nightmare of my life. When I destroyed the account of DreamManor, my work and life returned to normal. In the following months, my project was completed. Now, I am caught in this nightmare again, it is really terrible. Today, my sleep time was deprived again, completely deprived.
    well that's why I thought I would write to you.

    no programming language is worth putting your health at risk, so stand back a bit, take a walk (I allways cut the Lawn), think and then do
    or do not
    to hunt a species to extinction is not logical !
    since 2010 the number of Tigers are rising again in 2016 - 3900 were counted. with Baby Callas it's 3901, my wife and I had 2-3 months the privilege of raising a Baby Tiger.

  36. #276
    PowerPoster ChrisE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Frankfurt
    Posts
    2,794

    Re: Why is VB.Net/C#/XAML + VS2019 is better than VB6? Here's why.....

    Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    Yeah, for some strange reason I also miss having to work with 1mb of ram. It seem like took more talent but that's probably just rose colored glasses. But I also miss my hair but no one really cares about either situation. lol

    SH, your right, it doesn't matter if Win 10 or programs are bloated. They run just fine and if you need more memory, it's a cheap fix. Maybe it diminishes the programming skill set required but if the program does the job the client wants in a timely enough manner, then what can you really criticize.

    Bill Gates : LX 2.1 TD . "640 k ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates, 1981
    https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Talk:Bill_Gates


    remember the times of 640K
    to hunt a species to extinction is not logical !
    since 2010 the number of Tigers are rising again in 2016 - 3900 were counted. with Baby Callas it's 3901, my wife and I had 2-3 months the privilege of raising a Baby Tiger.

  37. #277
    Hyperactive Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    314

    Re: Why is VB.Net/C#/XAML + VS2019 is better than VB6? Here's why.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Schmidt View Post
    Since you mentioned, that staying away from such "heated discussions" was helpful to you earlier,
    the solution to avoid further sleep-deprivation on your end, seems obvious to me...

    And just for the record - I personally feel extremely uncomfortable, when you bring your "percentage-comparisons".
    Besides, putting somebody on a podestal (in a public forum) is not really helpful,
    neither for the person on the podestal, nor for your argumentation.

    Definitely not in "western culture".
    It might be a bit different in "eastern-" or "asian culture", where:
    "deference to subjectively perceived superiority" seems to be more willingly accepted...
    (for the sake of a better functioning society or "social group", the individual recognizes and tolerates "hierarchic structures" with less "fussing about it",... IMO).

    But as said - it's an absolute "no-go" in western culture, where the ideal most are striving for is:
    "the individual with a free spirit".

    In german-language - we have the nice old word "Freigeist" for that.
    with the implication, that no "Freigeist" is better or worse than any other "Freigeist"...
    "The Individual Rules!" ... (it's ingrained in our "western heads" to take that idealistic, personal stance, which borders on "anarchy")...

    So, to keep society functioning, a stance like that requires adherence to a few written and unwritten rules ...
    as e.g. "tolerance" (including the tolerance for "somebody not getting something" or having a "completely different opinion") -
    Hard to do of course (I fail often enough) - but who said Life was easy...

    Don't get me wrong - I'm not trying to imply that "western culture" is better than "eastern culture" - far from it.

    But I think, that knowing better about "the western mindset" could have helped you to keep your calm -
    especially in the discussion which caused you, to finally abandon your first user-account here.

    Please let me know, in case I was entirely "off-grid" with my above assumptions about "the eastern mindset".

    Olaf
    I knew very well that percentage-comparisons would make you feel extremely uncomfortable. So this percentage-comparisons had existed in my mind for several years, and I had not said it, but in the end it was sent out. I apologize to you for the percentage-comparisons this time, hope this is the last time making you feel uncomfortable.

    In fact, my words, deeds and ways of doing things are different from the vast majority of Chinese people. I cannot represent the Chinese at all, let alone the Eastern culture. The connotation/core of Eastern culture (or Confucian culture) is moderation and tolerance. Obviously, these two points are completely invisible from me. This is because the Chinese who were born in the 60s and 70s (including me) did not identify with Chinese culture when they were young (of course, thanks to effective work from the United States), but when they became parents and got older, they started to recognize and accept Eastern culture.

    Eastern culture has been constantly accepting and absorbing other cultures (especially Western culture), so now "respecting and pursuiting free spirit" is also present in Eastern culture. The main difference between Eastern culture and Western culture in the "free spirit" lies in the "definition of the boundary of freedom". This definition, like my definition of the boundary between "professional programmers" and "amateur programmers" in this thread, will cause a lot of controversy.

    In addition, while Eastern culture promotes the "free spirit", it also involves the selection and filtering, rejection and retention of traditional culture.

    The pursuit of freedom is the common goal of all mankind. In this ultimate goal, Easterners and Westerners are exactly the same, but Easterners have more historical and traditional cultural burdens, so the pace will be slower than Westerners , but will eventually reach the same destination.

    A good sleep will calm me, and running and climbing will make me self-think and reflect.

    Thank you, Olaf, and thank you everyone here.
    Last edited by SearchingDataOnly; Feb 6th, 2021 at 07:52 PM.

  38. #278
    Hyperactive Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    314

    Re: Why is VB.Net/C#/XAML + VS2019 is better than VB6? Here's why.....

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
    well that's why I thought I would write to you.

    no programming language is worth putting your health at risk, so stand back a bit, take a walk (I allways cut the Lawn), think and then do
    or do not
    Thank you, ChrisE.

  39. #279
    MS SQL Powerposter szlamany's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    18,012

    Re: Why is VB.Net/C#/XAML + VS2019 is better than VB6? Here's why.....

    Quote Originally Posted by kfcSmitty View Post
    RAD indeed! You know what's not RAD? That interface! You guys need a designer!
    Quote Originally Posted by kfcSmitty View Post
    Graphic designer. The design was ugly. Again, you make sweeping, insulting statmements, without knowing anything about me, or even understanding what I was saying.
    Insulting statements? Did you think I was going to ignore these two statements?

    First a simple question. Do you talk to colleagues like this? When you are face to face?

    Second question. What would you do in a VB6 app designed for data entry by a clerk to give it some fancy skin?

    Why not offer some constructive criticism?

    *** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

    Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

    Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

    MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

  40. #280
    Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Manchester uk
    Posts
    2,648

    Re: Why is VB.Net/C#/XAML + VS2019 is better than VB6? Here's why.....

    Quote Originally Posted by szlamany View Post
    Insulting statements? Did you think I was going to ignore these two statements?

    First a simple question. Do you talk to colleagues like this? When you are face to face?

    Second question. What would you do in a VB6 app designed for data entry by a clerk to give it some fancy skin?

    Why not offer some constructive criticism?

    Hmm yes that wasn't really necessary KFCSmitty, you can critique without being insulting.

    Szlamany - I really like your javascript approach however it is true that your interface does look a little dated, with the yellow backgrounds and some of your alignment decisions, I see you say you use jquery to do the styles as well, but jquery must be spitting out CSS on the client-side. I would expect you will have some control over it and could use your current approach to restyle to give a more modern look.

    Maybe it doesn't matter as much to your user base, the question with doing this work on commercial projects is your time invested worth it which only you can answer really.
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you



Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Click Here to Expand Forum to Full Width