Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FYI: Adios

FYI: Adios

I'm leaving the VB community probably for a very long time. Want to thank everyone that has ever provided help and contributed in any way. Made me a better VB coder in so many ways.

This may be moved by the moderators. But most people I talk with and may be interested in this farewell, live & breathe in this forum section...

My 20-year job went away (contract position phased out) & I needed to find another which is why I haven't been around for past couple months. Job searching became my primary focus. I found another job (high paying) as a senior software engineer not far from where I'm living now -- no relocation . Any way, classic VB is off the table for me for the foreseeable future as I learn several other languages. The job is basically part of a software shop, adapting to various languages and technologies as required per incoming tasks.

Currently, I'm focusing now on python, java, postgresql, restapi, and more. My learning curve is high so I won't have the time to participate here for quite some time, if at all.

Been a pleasure and informative. Wish you all the best.

Keith (aka LaVolpe)
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

Addicted Member

Re: FYI: Adios

Best of luck! You're a big loss to this forum, I find myself reading your posts often.

VB isn't my primary focus any more either, but I'm still around some. I now work a lot with Java, Oracle, React, Redux, and way more JAvascript that I'd prefer, but, eh, I'm loving the work I'm doing, which is a good thing.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Glad you found a new job, but you don't have to leave ;-)
    All the best Keith!

The Idiot

good luck!
    I hope u will visit us from time to time, not to contribute but to just hang around and tell if your VB6 knowledge helped u in any way when you coded or learned something new.
    you will always be part of vbforums.com, no matter you are here or not, you have helper thousands and Im sure your sources will keep helping people long into the future.
    U will be missed!

PowerPoster

So long, and good luck!

I'll monitor this thread for a few days to answer any questions.

The reason why I won't be around is simply that I won't be devoting any time at all to VB. Honestly, no point in just monitoring this site if I'm not contributing. If I'm contributing, then I'm using what valuable time I have to get up to speed on the new stuff I have to learn for my new job -- don't want to get fired in a month or two because I'm not meeting expectations. I have so much to learn from scratch.

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

The Idiot

of course. I would do the same. take all the time u need. be comfortable with your new job and learn everything u need to learn- thats the priority-
    when things calmed down and u feel you have some time to visit the forum to see whats going on, dont be shy, just show up and say Hi.

Fanatic Member

Quote Originally Posted by baka View Post
    of course. I would do the same. take all the time u need. be comfortable with your new job and learn everything u need to learn- thats the priority-
    when things calmed down and u feel you have some time to visit the forum to see whats going on, dont be shy, just show up and say Hi.
    yep, the same, but my path was VB6 -> PHP (with SQL), descriptives like HTML/CSS , coding JS , Angular and its TypeScript... uff!. Familiarize with libraries, Observable objects, asynchronous handling of replies, ufff.

JSON production as result from APIs I made in PHP.

Most important, OTHERs APIs usage from others companies, like payment services (that is the final goal).

Responsive HTML so it can be handled with a smartphone, that is a pain in the ass if you want to write HTML, and not using pre-mold html like AMP, etc.,

I can't trust about continue doing win32 apps or windows platform anymore. Microsoft is moving the rug under our feets quicly!.

I recommend if it is not a video games, move out from Windows programming QUICK, make your "confort zone" just in the "clouds".
    Last edited by flyguille; Jan 27th, 2021 at 02:18 PM.

PowerPoster

Do what you have to do, it is perfectly understandable.

Quote Originally Posted by LaVolpe View Post
    Keith (aka LaVolpe)
    It means that the legend is called Keith.

Great success to you my friend ... and may God grant you great victories and give you long days of life. Those are my wishes to you.

Thank you for taking the time to help us.

Every coder I know uses Java one way or another. For some it is writing, for others drinking, and for the rest...an intravenous drip.

Best of luck, you've been a great contributor.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Hyperactive Member

You will forever be one of the best, we can say that one more nail for VB6 🙁
    leandroascierto.com Visual Basic 6 projects

When I read your Title to this thread...I said (out loud, "Oh No!"). My wife heard and wondered why I was so upset! :-)

I gotta tell ya...you are one of the more level-headed contributors (there ARE quite a few) who have helped me tremendously. I will never be a really decent programmer in this (or any other) language, but you have contributed more than you know to what I have been able to 'cobble together' these past few years.

My sincere thanks and best wishes as you go to make a lot of money!!!

With Respect,

Samuel Oscar Brown
    Sam I am (as well as Confused at times).

PowerPoster

LaVolpe, I thought you were already chasing girls in South America.

We'll miss you.

I won't say adios but hasta luego. When you are well established in your job at some point perhaps you'll come back from time to time.

Addicted Member

Best of luck to you Keith. Thank you SO much for all of your help & code contributions over the years. Many including myself have been helped tremendously by them.

I have no doubt that you'll do well in your new job. Stay safe, take care and thanks again.

- Darrell

Hyperactive Member

You will be missed a lot, you have helped us and contributed a lot.
    much luck in everything

greetings Keith

Frenzied Member

Best of luck in your new career, Keith. You'll be missed around here...
    If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there...

My VB6 love-children: Vee-Hive and Vee-Launcher

PowerPoster

My job has nothing to do with VB6, everything I do here is just for fun in my free time outside of work

But I understand some people have what's called a "life" that limits their time outside of work, so very best of luck to you Keith, thanks for all the help and contributions to both me personally and the whole community, will miss you.

Quote Originally Posted by fafalone View Post
    But I understand some people have what's called a "life" that limits their time outside of work,
    Whoa. What's that now? Have I been missing something? What's this "life" of which you speak?
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Your knowledge of GDI/GDI+ and general image processing in Windows was always truly impressive to me. Best of luck to you.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Fanatic Member

Ho.
    What a news.

I wish you the best for your future.

Frenzied Member

I registered a vbForums account 7 or 8 years ago, but it was not until 5 years ago that I first came to vbForums. Before that, I could only search for some VB6 materials through Google, CodeProject and PlanetSource. My main purpose of coming to vbForums was to learn more about vbRichClient, because I knew its author was active in this forum. But I did not expect that I would see LaVolpe here, he was one of the very impressive members I had met in PlanetSource.

Congratulations to LaVolpe for finding a better job. Indeed, from a senior VB developer suddenly to a completely unfamiliar field does face a high learning curve, what I want to say is, if you encounter some technologies problems (such as python, java, postgresql, restapi), I believe there is someone here who can help you, I guess you know who that person is.

Best wishes.

dm (DreamManor)
    Last edited by SearchingDataOnly; Jan 28th, 2021 at 01:53 AM.

Hyperactive Member

Many of your examples have served as good lessons for me.
    I wish you success in your new work and all the best!

I feel you, Keith.
    Not the same as it was with me (since i still do a lot of VBA at work), but if there is one constant in the universe, it's change.
    For me it was branching out to other operating systems (mainly Linux), and yes, i'm aware, that i should go to a doctor to get my head checked out to find out what's wrong with me:
    I've started to understand C-Code......
    Last edited by Zvoni; Tomorrow at 31:69 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One System to rule them all, One Code to find them,
    One IDE to bring them all, and to the Framework bind them,
    in the Land of Redmond, where the Windows lie
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    People call me crazy because i'm jumping out of perfectly fine airplanes.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Code is like a joke: If you have to explain it, it's bad

Fanatic Member

The VB world would be less without you. Many thanks and good fortune.

Fanatic Member

Thanks you for all your help/assistance over the years. Hope the new job turns out to be all you wish for.

Fanatic Member

I too would like to wish you all the best!!

You have helped me on a number of occasions over the years, and it was/is much appreciated!

Hope to see you back one day also

Good evening LAVOLPE

Thank you very much for your help, your lines of code, your advice and your analyzes on VbForums and elsewhere. Your work has accompanied mine for many years. It was a real pleasure.

I wish you the best for the future. Your new employers are surely not fully aware of the nugget that you represent!

I regret you already! See you soon...., I hope...

François

Keith, Live Long and Prosper.

You've been one of the true anchors and calming forces within these forums, and a VB6 programming talent bested by none.

All the best in your new adventures,
    Elroy Sullivan, PhD
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

Addicted Member

Best of luck to you, Keith. Your commitment and dedication will serve you well in your new position.

You’ve helped me tremendously with VB6, many times, over many years. I’m so thankful for that. Hope you stay in touch.
    /Jimboat

Addicted Member

I Wish you the best.

Addicted Member

Well, you'll be missed! Thanks for your help solving particular problems, and general sharing of knowledge. Good luck in the new job!

PowerPoster

Good luck!!!!

Hyperactive Member

Keith - you've been one of the most helpful contributors on here to me over the years. Thank you so much! Your leaving will be a big loss to this forum but I understand why you have to step away.

I'm in a very similar place... been focusing almost exclusively on VB6 for the last 20+ years. Writing my own software and selling it on the Internet as shareware/trialware. It was a great run but now with the way the industry is moving and the way the economy is moving, the income isn't enough to support me any more. I'm looking for a job also.

I'm curious how you found a job as a senior software engineer when you acknowledge not knowing any of those new languages/technologies. Every job I'm looking at wants years of on the job experience with all of those. No one seems too impressed with my years of VB6 experience and running my own semi-successful software business. I'm feeling very much like a dinosaur. I'm doing my best to get up to speed with the new higher level languages but self-study is not the same as on the job experience.

Addicted Member

Ad maiora semper

Good luck to you on your ventures!

I'm not so active anymore either, but it's always great to stop by - see what's going on, sometimes a post is just sitting there and you can add to it. I've moved into the full JavaScript / AJAX-to-backend-IIS-using-JSON and still find I can ask a question here and trust the answers I'm getting. This place serves more than VB - HTML, CSS, JavaScript - or just general stuff, for starters...

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by szlamany View Post
    This place serves more than VB - HTML, CSS, JavaScript - or just general stuff, for starters...
    I was thinking this same thing. My immediate future does involve a lot of Windows programming in VB.Net but I do want to move away from that into either more mobile focused development or web development. When this day comes I will still be here. I think there are more than a few things I can contribute given my nearly 20 years of Windows development experience, even if it's just explaining something as simple as a message loop.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

All the best to you, LaVolpe!

Thanks for all your kind help. We'll be missing.
    Malware analyst, VirusNet developer, HiJackThis+ author || my CodeBank works

Quote Originally Posted by AAraya View Post
    I'm curious how you found a job as a senior software engineer when you acknowledge not knowing any of those new languages/technologies. Every job I'm looking at wants years of on the job experience with all of those. No one seems too impressed with my years of VB6 experience and running my own semi-successful software business. I'm feeling very much like a dinosaur. I'm doing my best to get up to speed with the new higher level languages but self-study is not the same as on the job experience.
    I was in the same boat - a dinosaur But worse for me is my age -- nearly 60. In my case, I worked for a company that did contracts for the government. So I had active clearances and there are special resources (job sites) for people with clearances. That was my only true advantage because I wasn't fluent in any other language. However, I was familiar with a few other languages.

Recommend building a resume and describe the languages/tools you are familiar with, i.e., Visual Basic (specify if also .Net), XML, HTML, SQL, JSON, Python, MS Office, etc. There are many examples of "programmer" resumes out there. It is important to fudge a bit on the resume (but not outright lying) so that people will look at it. Once you have a resume, post it on job sites used by recruiters; google if needed. Recruiters will contact you. I gave myself 2 months to wait on recruiters contacting me. Then the plan was to go out and actively apply for specific positions. While waiting on recruiters, I was still looking for specific jobs, but not focusing on that. Messing with recruiters gives you a bit of practice "interviewing" since you've been out of that for awhile. Several different recruiters contacted me each week. I turned down more offers than I remember (not qualified, location, salary). During the 1.5 months I was 'looking', only a few resulted in actual interviews. That is directly attributed to our dinosaur-status I believe. Tons of jobs out there, but not in classic VB unless you want piece-meal, self-contract type work and even those aren't that plentiful.

I was 90% truthful to the recruiters and 100% truthful during any employer interviews.

In my case, the recruiter for the position I was hired made contact with me about one month in. At first, I turned down the job because I felt I wasn't qualified for what the job listed as "required" skills. I then got calls from the company and had a few interviews. I explained I was not familiar with many of the languages they 'required' and they would need to convince me that I was a fit for the job. They did that. They explained they were really wanting someone that was a leader, can adapt, can learn quickly, etc. It ended up the required skills weren't really required for the position after all -- that isn't too uncommon. I also emphasized that I would need ramp-up time for any new languages, but promised I'd be effective (not fluent) in a matter of a few weeks. Need to convince them that the ramp-up time is a small investment on their part.

The salary was a huge plus, about a 20% increase from what I was currently making. That was offered first so I didn't even try to haggle; plan on keeping job for 5-10 years at most, then retire. I was also willing to relocate if needed and that can be attractive when recruiters talk to you. Relocation isn't always an option for many people. But I spent 20 years in the military and packing up & moving is something I was comfortable with. Was considering jobs in Texas, Maryland & South Carolina.

And just FYI. The entire process was 100% virtual. Interviews were via phone and video. It is vitally important you make a good impression, don't give them any reason to doubt your sincerity. The only time I actually met my employers in person was when I went to their office to sign the paperwork -- COVID changed things a bit. Much of the paperwork was done in advance via electronic signatures.

Many of the high paying jobs were focusing on "big data" via java and/or python; just more FYI. Regarding "self-study"... Agreed, not the same as experience. But there are sites that offer computer-based training (CBT) courses, i.e., Udemy which I was using. Most are not free, but consider it a small investment. Many of those CBTs help walk you through the new stuff. IMO, they are vastly superior in getting your feet wet since they are typically well structured and touch on so many aspects of the language. You won't become a guru using CBTs but you'll get a better feel much faster than going at it without any help. For example, a postgresql CBT took 60+ hours to finish and a python CBT about that long too, while a MacOS CBT took about 2 hours. Typically, those sites offer 1000s of CBTs and many having dozens within any specific topic.

Dedicating ourselves to one major language is an obstacle. But another obstacle is self-imposed: thinking we are dinosaurs. We have experience, we adapt, and old dogs can learn new tricks.
    Last edited by LaVolpe; Feb 3rd, 2021 at 10:59 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast