Thread: Is there anyway to build x64 exe by vb6’s compiler?

Lively Member

Lightbulb Is there anyway to build x64 exe by vb6’s compiler?

hi guys

VC6 can compile 64 bit program, but why can't VB6 compile 64 bit program?
    It is said that VB6 C2 compiler and VC have a lot of overlap
    Is it possible to modify vbaexe6. Lib to get 64 bit?

PowerPoster yereverluvinuncleber's Avatar

Re: Is there anyway to build x64 exe by vb6’s compiler?

No.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by vb56390 View Post
    hi guys

because msvbvm60.dll is 32 bit,exe can't without it,so only support 32bit.
    but you can use vfb(visual Freebasic ide),it's like vb7,support x64,DLL,CREATEthread,you can try

http://www.yfvb.com/soft-48.htm
    download free IDE:Https://yfvb.lanzous.com/b01hid90j
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by xiaoyao; Jan 23rd, 2021 at 10:31 PM.

PowerPoster

and one chinese developer, split vb6 project ,and change vb6 code to vc++, compiler by gcc or vc compiler.(it's name vb6++)
    you can download a appqq),add group 582102872
    VFB QQ GROUP:78458582 (VISUAL freebasic,vb7)

Quote Originally Posted by xiaoyao View Post
    because msvbvm60.dll is 32 bit,exe can't without it,so only support 32bit.
    but you can use vfb(visual Freebasic ide),it's like vb7,support x64,DLL,CREATEthread,you can try

http://www.yfvb.com/soft-48.htm
    It seems to me that this version is in English. Where can I get it? Your link is in chinese.

Until VisualFreeBasic has an English translated site, the program itself is fully compatible with the English language and the help is completed and available in same, then VisualFreeBasic will never be more than a novelty for the rest of the non-Chinese speaking world.

I appreciate that it was a Chinese product created by someone Chinese for the Chinese market but BASIC itself is more less in English, the programming community throughout the world speaks English as its default 'lingua franca', so until that is complete, VisualFreeBasic will remain a largely untouched tool outside China until these problems are addressed.

It has to be done as the first task to ensure VisualFreeBasic has a life outside China. I wouldn't touch it until someone takes international translation seriously and the first language has to be English. For the majority like me seeing any Chinese characters is akin to seeing Klingon, I for one don't want to code in anything that feels like Klingon. It is difficult enough learning a new BASIC dialect, an unfamiliar IDE and environment and then to come across Chinese in the IDE? It is just not ever going to take off.

It looks like an amazing tool with a partial translation but it is not going to be anyone's solution for 64bit BASIC compilation for a while yet.

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by yereverluvinuncleber View Post
    Until VisualFreeBasic has an English translated site, the program itself is fully compatible with the English language and the help is completed and available in same, then VisualFreeBasic will never be more than a novelty for the rest of the non-Chinese speaking world.

I appreciate that it was a Chinese product created by someone Chinese for the Chinese market but BASIC itself is more less in English, the programming community throughout the world speaks English as its default 'lingua franca', so until that is complete, VisualFreeBasic will remain a largely untouched tool outside China until these problems are addressed.

It has to be done as the first task to ensure VisualFreeBasic has a life outside China. I wouldn't touch it until someone takes international translation seriously and the first language has to be English. For the majority like me seeing any Chinese characters is akin to seeing Klingon, I for one don't want to code in anything that feels like Klingon. It is difficult enough learning a new BASIC dialect, an unfamiliar IDE and environment and then to come across Chinese in the IDE? It is just not ever going to take off.

It looks like an amazing tool with a partial translation but it is not going to be anyone's solution for 64bit BASIC compilation for a while yet.
    Just took it for another spin, ALLOT of improvement and refinement has happened in the last year. Most things are now translated in English. To see how far this has come in a short time tells me they will be a serious contender soon. The IDE is snappy, very similar to VB6 and has loads of potential. I think the biggest drawback is that it uses the freebasic compiler which does not appear to have MACOS support, although Linus does appear to be supported.

I am very encouraged that we now have four potential vb6 successors in the works (radBasic, twinBasic, VisualFreeBasic, and vbRichClient)

Quote Originally Posted by axisdj View Post
    I am very encouraged that we now have four potential vb6 successors in the works (radBasic, twinBasic, VisualFreeBasic, and vbRichClient)
    If Eduardo's proposal happens, we may have a fifth option.

Edit: What I wanted is open source ...

Quote Originally Posted by Episcopal View Post
    If Eduardo's proposal happens, we may have a fifth option.
    In five to ten years...

PowerPoster

download link,https://yfvb.lanzous.com/b01hid90j
    you can search github,visualfreebadic,old version

PowerPoster

delphi support mac pc。I think it's great to be able to do a good job of supporting the version of windows.

vfb ,visual freebasic ,it'S free.
    This great inventor, the author, spent more than five years to develop it, has been painstaking。

If you have so many foreigners, you can sponsor a few bitcoins.
    It is estimated that it will become a great work that is very useful in a year or two.

Now the price of pork in China is very expensive, and it costs Ten dollars per kilogram.
    The difficulty of survival also has a strong ability to develop IDE, it is really too difficult.

PowerPoster

is anyone who does not speak /read chinese testing the fvb?
    i do my best to test code works before i post it, but sometimes am unable to do so for some reason, and usually say so if this is the case.
    Note code snippets posted are just that and do not include error handling that is required in real world applications, but avoid On Error Resume Next

dim all variables as required as often i have done so elsewhere in my code but only posted the relevant part

come back and mark your original post as resolved if your problem is fixed
    pete

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by westconn1 View Post
    is anyone who does not speak /read chinese testing the fvb?
    IMO there's no need to test it (when it comes to replacing VB6) because:
    - it does not support Classes (nor does it support Class-raised Events)
    - it does not support Debugging
    - the IDE is "Windows only" (using the CommonControls via comctl32.dll in its Form-Designer)
    - and therefore the GUI-related Binaries it produces, are "Windows only" by definition
    .. (although the FreeBasic-compiler itself is platform-independent)

An IMO better alternative for english speakers (although coming with the same "Windows only" restrictions) -
    is Paul Squires WinFBE (which in turn is based on Jose Rocas WinFBX): https://www.freebasic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25215

HTH

Olaf

Quote Originally Posted by Schmidt View Post
    An IMO better alternative for english speakers (although coming with the same "Windows only" restrictions) -
    is Paul Squires WinFBE (which in turn is based on Jose Rocas WinFBX): https://www.freebasic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25215
    Wow, naked ladies in the screenshots! Must be good :-))

cheers,
    </wqw>

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by wqweto View Post
    Wow, naked ladies in the screenshots! Must be good :-))
    Ohh ... seems stuff like that indeed leaves an impression...
    (will have to consider that in my next RC6-Demos, I guess)

Olaf

It works that method of promoting your project. This image magnification widget that I built a few years ago now had many thousands of downloads purely because of the image within.

Quote Originally Posted by yereverluvinuncleber View Post
    It works that method of promoting your project. This image magnification widget that I built a few years ago now had many thousands of downloads purely because of the image within.
    Everyone downloaded in an attempt to nudge the magnifying glass. . . closer to the eyes :-))

cheers,
    </wqw>

Hyperactive Member

I will say that I am willing to pay up to $5K or maybe even more for a cross platform vb6 replacement, even if it would require some modification and re-writing (10-30%)

That investment will make its value up very quickly, from being able to be sold on other platforms (macOS) and future code security/value.

How do others feel?
    Last edited by axisdj; Jan 24th, 2021 at 01:12 PM.

Addicted Member

You can use a 32-bit COM DLL from a 64-bit application via a DLLSurrogate.

Using a 32-bit In-Process COM Server DLL from 64-bit TCC

Probably not the solution you are looking for, but just passing it on, as it works quite well for me.

Joe

PowerPoster

lot,getobject,it'S very slowy

Quote Originally Posted by vb56390 View Post
    hi guys

64 bit compilation is generally overrated. Unless you're dealing with arrays over 2 GB consistently in your application or trying to use 64 bit DLLS, you really don't benefit from 64 bit compilation. The Windows WoW64 subsystem does a great job of executing 32 bit applications on 64 bit versions of Windows quite decently.

Is there is specific reason you'd like to have 64 bit compilation?
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Addicted Member

visual free basic is still a far less familiar thing than vb6

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    64 bit compilation is generally overrated. Unless you're dealing with arrays over 2 GB consistently in your application or trying to use 64 bit DLLS, you really don't benefit from 64 bit compilation. The Windows WoW64 subsystem does a great job of executing 32 bit applications on 64 bit versions of Windows quite decently.

Is there is specific reason you'd like to have 64 bit compilation?
    I was develop some VBA-ADDINS and to do secondary-develop for AutoCAD or Office etc. These platforms are didn't support x86 now, but I still to fix the old projects for times, so if there is any way to compile vb6 project to x64, my works can become more easy. I think there are so many peapole doing works like me. So I surgessts to develop a true VB7 is the good choice.

Addicted Member

App build by VB6 , maximum available memory = 1.45G ~ 1.6G
    Last edited by quickbbbb; Jan 26th, 2021 at 04:29 AM.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by axisdj View Post
    I will say that I am willing to pay up to $5K or maybe even more for a cross platform vb6 replacement, even if it would require some modification and re-writing (10-30%)

That investment will make its value up very quickly, from being able to be sold on other platforms (macOS) and future code security/value.

How do others feel?
    $50000

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by quickbbbb View Post
    App build by VB6 , maximum available memory = 1.45G ~ 1.6G
    Not true. LargeAddressAware linking gets you safely to about 3.5 gig on a 64 bit box but you need to code properly for it.

I use it all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by vbwins View Post
    Not true. LargeAddressAware linking gets you safely to about 3.5 gig on a 64 bit box but you need to code properly for it.

I use it all the time.
    What could you possibly be writing that needs so much memory lol
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Addicted Member

I use it all the time.
    My App will be crash when memory in 1.4~ 1.6G

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by quickbbbb View Post
    My App will be crash when memory in 1.4~ 1.6G
    Add the following to the bottom of your projects VBP file

[VBCompiler]
    LinkSwitches=/LARGEADDRESSAWARE /OPT:NOWIN98

This will give you about 3.5 gig on a 64 bit OS. But you need to code for it.

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    What could you possibly be writing that needs so much memory lol
    A gentleman never tells !

A gentleman never tells !

Addicted Member

Add the following to the bottom of your projects VBP file

[VBCompiler]
    LinkSwitches=/LARGEADDRESSAWARE /OPT:NOWIN98

This will give you about 3.5 gig on a 64 bit OS. But you need to code for it.

my god

my test as the following

after add LinkSwitches=/LARGEADDRESSAWARE /OPT:NOWIN98

(1) one Array max size can form 1.4G change to 1.999 G
    (2) one APP max size can form 1.4G change to 3.4 G

thank you

You might want to prevent pointer arithmetics crossing the 2GB boundary by carefully reserving a memory chunk right at the boundary with this API call:

Code:
    Option Explicit

Private Declare Function VirtualAlloc Lib "kernel32" (ByVal lpAddress As Long, ByVal dwSize As Long, ByVal flAllocationType As Long, ByVal flProtect As Long) As Long

Private Sub Form_Initialize()
        Const MEM_COMMIT    As Long = &H1000
        Const MEM_RESERVE   As Long = &H2000
        Const PAGE_READWRITE As Long = 4
        '--- allocate 64KB at the 2GB boundary
        Call VirtualAlloc(&H7FFF0000, &H10000, MEM_COMMIT Or MEM_RESERVE, PAGE_READWRITE)
    End Sub
    This fixes VBA.PropertyBag from failing on large objects/arrays but you can test it yourself.

Large-address aware flag is not set by default for a reason -- not all components are tested with it. For instance 32-bit MS Office was tested LAA only in 2016.

cheers,
    </wqw>