Page 42 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3239404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 1,641 to 1,680 of 1810

Thread: TwinBasic

PowerPoster

Re: TwinBasic

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    Yes this is very much true. This is EXACTLY why Rust exists. The borrow checker in Rust and all that comes with it is their way of removing undefined behavior from memory operations without a performance penalty. If I'm being perfectly honest, I this Rust's approach is far better suited to BASIC than raw C-like pointers. It's very much in line with BASIC's tendencies towards being a safe language.
    The issue here is that 99% of the use case for this is interacting with the Windows API-- i.e. the things you see wrapped in unsafe in Rust. I searched for examples of doing some simple things with shell interfaces like I typically do in Rust, unsafe unsafe unsafe unsafe....

PowerPoster

I found that JS, python, VBS, VBA, VB6, many languages are similar to scripts, which do not need to specify the ,type of variables.variant,So VB6's route was correct.
    But Microsoft completely abandoned him. VB. Net, mandatory declaration of variable types, very long syntax.
    It can be said that it deviates too much from VB6.
    Just like when we drive too close, the anti-collision system will automatically turn on.

If you accidentally doze off, he will also remind you. It also has an automatic driving system.

Without specifying the type of the variable, it runs a little slower, but the more powerful the CPU is, the more it makes up for.
    In fact, if Microsoft takes a little time. Adding multithreading to VBA or VB6 can take less than a week, or even a day.

As long as he doesn't value users. He doesn't want to spend an extra hour or a month.

PowerPoster yereverluvinuncleber's Avatar

[Total Rowlocks. Well meaning perhaps but nevertheless, rowlocks not in context. Bloody obvious statements too.]

I retract that, it did make some sense but I had to read it ten times before the meaning arrived.
    Last edited by yereverluvinuncleber; Jun 3rd, 2023 at 09:45 AM.
    https://github.com/yereverluvinunclebert

Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.

By the power invested in me, all the threads I start are battle free zones - no arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign.

Quote Originally Posted by fafalone View Post
    The issue here is that 99% of the use case for this is interacting with the Windows API-- i.e. the things you see wrapped in unsafe in Rust. I searched for examples of doing some simple things with shell interfaces like I typically do in Rust, unsafe unsafe unsafe unsafe....
    I see what you're saying but the truth is, you really cannot avoid this with the Windows API, no matter how safe the host language is but let's pretend for a minute we had real pointers in VB6/TwinBASIC. This is what I'm concerned about:-
    Code:
        'Imagine this is a pointer to a Long
        Dim p As Long*

'This is just a normal Long value
        Dim value As Long

'Assign an arbitary address to the pointer
        p = &HDEADBEEF

'Dereference the pointer. The result is undefined because
        'we just assigned a random address to p
        value = *p

Pointers would allow you to do stuff like that and while no one would ever do that deliberately, such things will happen accidentally. Now of course you could do the same thing like this:-
    Code:
    Public Declare Sub RtlMoveMemory Lib "kernel32" (ByVal Destination As Long, ByVal Source As Long, ByVal Length As Long)

Private Sub Form_Load()

'Imagine this is a pointer to a Long
        Dim p As Long

'This is just a normal Long value
        Dim value As Long

'Assign an arbitary address to the pointer
        p = &HDEADBEEF

'Dereference the pointer. The result is undefined because
        'we just assigned a random address to p
        RtlMoveMemory VarPtr(value), p, 4

End Sub

This difference here is that you have to deliberately circumvent the protections of the runtime and compiler to do it. In the first instance the language itself is unsafe because it's actually supported by the compiler.

But like I said, I personally have no problems with pointers being introduced into a BASIC variant but I do think that violates that silent contract of safety we have come to expect from any language derived from BASIC. BASIC compilers have traditionally never allowed undefined behavior through it's own primitives. It was only ever allowed on a kind of opt-in basis through functions like VarPtr or Peek/Poke in the QuickBasic era.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

PowerPoster

See I just can't draw a meaningful barrier between the language itself and an API whose use is ubiquitous. Who's making any serious program *without* calling CopyMemory at least once somewhere?

The ship sailed when VarPtr and AddressOf became language features. If you view VarPtr as opt-in, which I didn't think you would since it's language-intrinsic rather than an optional api needing to be declared, then so would the other hypothetical pointer keywords (I don't think * would be the way to go, since as you say it is BASIC).

See I just can't draw a meaningful barrier between the language itself and an API whose use is ubiquitous. Who's making any serious program *without* calling CopyMemory at least once somewhere?

The ship sailed when VarPtr and AddressOf became language features. If you view VarPtr as opt-in, which I didn't think you would since it's language-intrinsic rather than an optional api needing to be declared, then so would the other hypothetical pointer keywords (I don't think * would be the way to go, since as you say it is BASIC).
    I am seeing this as a bit of a Catch 22 scenario - currently VB6 requires the use of CopyMemory (and related APIS) and therefore pointers to do an awful lot of things, therefore making pointers accessible is the solution. However, if the language didn't require the use of CopyMemory etc. for so many things, would the need for pointers be so high on your list of needs?

PowerPoster

But how could that happen without relying on a massive framework and likely moving to a managed code model; i.e. becoming .NET?

See I just can't draw a meaningful barrier between the language itself and an API whose use is ubiquitous.
    Ok let's look at compilers at a more fundamental level. Lets think of all the things provided by the VB6 compiler except the ability to call functions. We have arrays, UDTs, variables of different types like String, Longs, Integers, For...Next loops, Do...While loops, On Error statements, Goto statements, GoSub/Return, Redim, Set statements, the Nothing keyword, operators like =, +, And, Or. Considering all of these compiler primitives, I challenge you to find any way to combine them such that they produce undefined behavior. If you divide by 0, you will get a division by 0 error every time. If you try to assign a String to a Long, you will get a type mismatch every time. If you try to write past the end of an array, you will get a subscript out of range error. There is no kind of mistake you can make that doesn't have a defined outcome. This is a very deliberate design and has been true of just about every variant of BASIC since the beginning of time. Introducing pointers at this level changes this.

Now, the reason I excluded the ability to call functions is not arbitrary. It is because no compiler on Earth can make guarantees about functions. Compilers can guarantee the behavior of their operators or arrays but they cannot guarantee that functions will behave. This is why they are the only way you can overcome the barriers put in place by the VB6 compiler to prevent undefined behavior.

Now if we did the same exercise with C, we can induce all kinds of undefined behaviors using just the basic compiler primitives. Eg:-
    Code:
    int i = 4 / 0
    Division by 0 is undefined in C. It could throw an error on one compiler and give you a garbage result on another. Even different versions of the same compiler may do different things. There's no guarantees about it. Here's another example:-
    Code:
        int array[5];

int* ptr = array;

for (int i = 1; i <= 100; i++)
            *(ptr++) = i;
    We allocated space for 5 ints but are writing 100 ints to the array. There is no guaranteed outcome here either. BASIC compilers on the other hand, have always guaranteed an error when you do this with it's arrays. BASIC has always been this kind of language at the most fundamental level. This is what I'm trying to get at. It's about the guarantees provided by the compiler at a fundamental level. You can do anything with functions and APIs but the very building blocks of the language itself has built-in ironclad guarantees.

[EDIT]

I almost forgot, AddressOf. This is also a provided by the compiler and while it does deal in pointers, you actually cannot produce undefined behavior with it fundamentally. You cannot combine it with any of the other language's fundamentals such that it will produced undefined behavior. You can only do that when you involve function calls like VarPtr or APIs.
    Last edited by Niya; Jun 2nd, 2023 at 04:16 AM.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

The issue in interfacing with say WIN32 APIs is that the underlying CRT (c run time) that provides the memory management doesn't provide necessary functions to enable run-time checking (eg is address valid, start address of allocated block, size of memory block etc). This has been an issue since the beginning of c and isn't likely to change any time soon.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

But how could that happen without relying on a massive framework and likely moving to a managed code model; i.e. becoming .NET?
    Just because .Net can do this and it has a large runtime framework doesn't mean that the large framework is required to do this...

The compiler could be aware of how to pass structures / classes to the various dll conventions (cdecl, stdcall, etc.) and it could take care of managing the actual call. You could have the ability to give the compiler hints, similar to attributes in dotnet, that could control memory layout and padding.

Quote Originally Posted by 2kaud View Post
    The issue in interfacing with say WIN32 APIs is that the underlying CRT (c run time) that provides the memory management doesn't provide necessary functions to enable run-time checking (eg is address valid, start address of allocated block, size of memory block etc). This has been an issue since the beginning of c and isn't likely to change any time soon.
    It's actually a reflection of the time Windows was developed in. C is filled with a bunch of undefined behaviors by design. It wasn't a mistake. You see there are penalties for safety and I guess it was considered acceptable to not take that bargain in the 80s and 90s. You have to sacrifice power and performance for safety. This is one of the underlying reasons why BASIC for most of it's life was never taken seriously as a language because it gave up power and performance for safety.

I mean lets take arrays for example. What would it have taken to make them safe in C? Well you'd have to define what happens when you write outside of it. This means that you now have to keep track of where every array starts in memory and where it ends. Finally, the compiler has to insert checks using these values to determine every time the array is accessed if the access was out of bounds. What is this starting to sound like? Yes, it sounds exactly like how SAFEARRAYS work in COM which is what VB6 uses for it's native arrays. However, you pay a penalty, every array access now adds the penalty of bounds checking. If you did this same mental exercise for pointers, starting with the question, what would it take to make them safe, you'd end up with something resembling object references. Object references are actually one possible solution to the problem of unsafe pointers.

These abstractions are costly in performance and memory which is why the C compiler doesn't provide them. It keeps the language fast but places the burden of responsibility for safety on the programmer. You have to make sure to never access an out of bounds array and you also have to be willing to pay the price if a bug in your code leads to that.

Things have changed today. Abstractions like object references and safe arrays are now considered acceptable in "serious" languages probably due to the extreme performance characteristics of modern CPUs compared to their ancient ancestors. However, it's too late to change the monolithic juggernaut that is Windows to reflect this so we are stuck with having to deal with C's mess in the Windows API.

However, I don't think it's necessary to change the Windows API if you want to be able to create completely safe and well behaved programming languages targeting Windows. Python and .Net in particular prove this. You can write just about kind of program in these languages without ever having to touch the unsafe Windows API yourself. This too has a cost though, which is a massive layer of abstraction between you as the Python/.Net coder and the operating system.

To bring it back around to this topic of pointers in TwinBASIC. I've always viewed VB6 as sitting somewhere between C and something like .Net/Python. It provides enough abstractions to make it a relatively safe language while also maintaining near C-like performance and power. TwinBASIC starts at this mid point too because it begins as a VB6 clone. But the language will inevitably evolve and it has to go in one of two directions. It can either move closer to C or closer to .Net. Introducing first class pointers to TwinBASIC moves it a lot closer to C and while I don't really object to it, I worry about this direction. Debugging C code is an absolute nightmare because of how unsafe it is. Someone gives you some code that prematurely releases a pointer that is later dereferenced good luck trying to discover it. You're not going to get some nice neat error that tells you what is wrong. The application might just bomb out with no error or warning and it may not do that every single time. This makes forensics extremely difficult. I wonder if we are ready to bring more of this kind of thing to BASIC.

I guess I always imagined one day that the talents of the VB6 community like Olaf, Trick, Fafalone, Elroy etc would all make contributions to TwinBASIC that would become something of a standard library that covers just about everything a programmer would need so they can move away from doing unsafe stuff with CopyMemory, VarPtr and the Windows API. The result of this would be well behaved code bases that are easy to debug. This seems like a very natural direction for a descendant of BASIC.

TwinBASIC has a package manager does it not? You can have the benefits of a large framework without having to ship a large framework. Every programmer could import only the packages that they need.

and it tickles me somewhere deep in my soul.
    Since the topic of pointers in TwinBASIC came up, I've been trying to figure out where this itch about it really came from. I just remembered, it's about VarPtr. An impression was made on me long before VB6 came onto the scene. BASIC has always had wizards like the trick who could work black magic in the language. When us mortals needed to do something really exceptional in the early days of Visual Basic, we'd very to often end up with finding code written by one of these gods. A curious undocumented function came up quite a bit. It was called VarPtr. It wasn't like it is today. It was undocumented so you couldn't really find official documentation on it and you had to import it from the runtime itself using a declare statement.

Every time it came up it was always accompanied by warnings about how dangerous it was and how it should not never be used unless you absolutely know what you're doing. They made sure we understood why it was undocumented and made us very scared of it. Now in those days, I hadn't really learn about pointers or how ABIs and memory worked or any of that more advanced low-level stuff so you can imagine this left an impression on me.

VarPtr was never meant to be a part of Visual Basic. My guess is that it became more and more popular over the years until MS just gave in and put it in the language when VB6 came around. Microsoft always intended for Visual Basic to be a safe language. I guess this is why it's weird to me for TwinBASIC to have first class pointers because I learned back then that this was never a direction Microsoft wanted to go with the language. Since that time I have always understood why BASIC is the way it is, I just forgot where it started.

PowerPoster

You were scared of it, statements about it being undocumented and dangerous have always been like waving a red flag at a bull for me... Im charging full speed right at it and will use it even when it's not necessary.

But if you really want to dig into history, I learned something interesting: ZX-BASIC (Sinclair et al) supported inline asm natively

ASM
    END ASM

So not *entirely* unprecedented in BASIC.

The ability of advanced users to do fancy things that everyone can then drop in and use is of the big reasons for the enduring popularity of VB6. But it's not just the gods like The trick using pointers, even beginners use them with APIs.

But it's not just the gods like The trick using pointers, even beginners use them with APIs.
    That's true now but back in the day, I remember Visual Basic being a glorified version of VBA. I'm talking in the days of VB2, and maybe VB3. It was mostly used for data-centric CRUD applications. Things like Pascal and C were still being used for "serious" programming. For example, I don't think many people would have dared to attempt creating something like PhotoDemon in Visual Basic back then. Today, that would shock no one. Non-enterprise data-centric CRUD applications do not require that much. Forms, TextBoxes, Lablels, ListBoxes etc, along with a COM based database API like DAO and some simple built-in file I/O functionality would have been enough for most needs. There were people writing exotic programs back then but it wasn't the norm like it is today.

You were scared of it, statements about it being undocumented and dangerous have always been like waving a red flag at a bull for me..
    I wasn't ready for that back in those days. I simply didn't yet have enough foundational knowledge to understand or appreciate these things yet.
    Last edited by Niya; Jun 4th, 2023 at 12:37 AM.

But if you really want to dig into history, I learned something interesting: ZX-BASIC (Sinclair et al) supported inline asm natively

ASM
    END ASM

So not *entirely* unprecedented in BASIC.
    Well this I didn't know. My path was BASICA, GW-BASIC, QuickBasic, VB2 to VB6 then onto VB.Net later. Never encountered ZX-BASIC as far as I know.

Lively Member

to talk about the first basic, here is mine which allowed me to make my first programs, the keyboard was intended for the Basic, it was a feat in 1983

Name:  Image1.jpg
Views: 747
Size:  45.8 KB

PowerPoster

Neat, didn't know Sega made a PC like that.

Lively Member

Neat, didn't know Sega made a PC like that.
    2 years before MSX same hardware Z80 microprocessor at 3.58 MHz;

Frenzied Member

Re: TwinBASIC programming

twinBASIC status update:

twinBASIC Update: June 4, 2023

Highlights include a search option to match whole words only, some handy ways to generate GUIDs, and a clever way to deploy and register custom ActiveX controls.

https://nolongerset.com/twinbasic-update-june-4-2023/

PowerPoster

Code:
    Sub Test1()
      Dim Arr1() As Variant
        Arr1 = Array(1, 2)
       ' Call DoSub(Array(1, 2)) 'Array() Compilation error: Type mismatch: missing array or user-defined type
        Call DoSub(Arr1)
    End Sub
    Sub DoSub(Arr1() As Variant)
    '
    End Sub
    can we use like this in twinbasic?
    Code:
    Call DoSub(array(1.5,2.3))
    Call DoSub(array$("a","b"))
    Call DoSub(array&(11,22))

PowerPoster

No, but you can't in VB6 either.

No
    Wow. That's surpising. Yall need to get on that quick. Almost every language supports this kind of thing now:-

VB.Net
    Code:
        Public Sub Test1()
            DoSub({1, 2})
        End Sub

Public Sub DoSub(ByVal values As Integer())

End Sub
    Python
    Code:
    def test1():
        do_sub([1, 2])

def do_sub(values):
        pass
    JavaScript
    Code:
    function test1() {
        doSub([1, 2]);
    }

function doSub(values) {
        // Your code here
    }
    And so on.......

It's one of those things where I'd say it's a "must have" in a programming language. I personally use that a lot and it's extremely convenient. You get a lot a value out of this feature no matter what language.

Shouldn’t the parameter of the sub not be without parentheses?
    Code:
    Sub DoSub(Arr1 As Variant)
    '
    End Sub

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoutdv View Post
    Shouldn’t the parameter of the sub not be without parentheses?
    Code:
    Sub DoSub(Arr1 As Variant)
    '
    End Sub
    The Array function returns an array of Variants, not a Variant containing an array.

Frenzied Member

Re: twinBasic roadmap

twinBASIC have released an updated 12 month roadmap for twinBASIC...

https://github.com/twinbasic/twinbasic/issues/335

Highlights as follows...

2023-Q2/Q3 (JUN-SEP)
    • Complete UserControl / ActiveX support
    • Finish all remaining basic controls
    • Complete the missing App object methods
    • Add Printer/Printers support
    • Add the missing features to the new IDE, e.g. rename-refactoring and Test Explorer

2023-Q4 (OCT-DEC)
    • Support optimized builds, using the LLVM backend compiler (only available to paid subscribers)
    • v1 RC builds at the end of this period

VERSION 1 RELEASE
    • Tentative Release Date: 3rd January 2024

2024-Q1 (JAN-MAR)
    • Start Analysis Extension API
    • Support full inheritance
    • Add vbWatchdog support
    • Add multi-threading syntax support
    • Start cross-platform support for x86/x64 Linux/Mac (only available to paid Ultimate Edition subscribers)

2024-Q2 (APR-JUN)
    • Support Edit & Continue
    • Start cross-platform support for ARM Linux/Mac/Android (only available to paid Ultimate Edition subscribers)
    • Start of reimplementation of all remaining VB6 shipped controls, such as Winsock, MAPI, Adodc, DataGrid, MSCOMM, etc
    • Support ActiveX controls on tB forms with unmatched bitness, using a proxy-process (e.g. 64-bit app using a 32-bit ActiveX control)
    Last edited by VB6 Programming; Jun 8th, 2023 at 10:24 AM.

PowerPoster

i hope twinbasic is compatible with vb6, but a lot of new features have been added, after all, vb6 is too old, and many necessary functions have not been implemented

Re: twinBasic roadmap

Quote Originally Posted by VB6 Programming View Post
    twinBASIC have released an updated 12 month roadmap for twinBASIC...

https://github.com/twinbasic/twinbasic/issues/335

Highlights as follows...

2023-Q2/Q3 (JUN-SEP)
    • Complete UserControl / ActiveX support
    • Finish all remaining basic controls
    • Complete the missing App object methods
    • Add Printer/Printers support
    • Add the missing features to the new IDE, e.g. rename-refactoring and Test Explorer

2023-Q4 (OCT-DEC)
    • Support optimized builds, using the LLVM backend compiler (only available to paid subscribers)
    • v1 RC builds at the end of this period

VERSION 1 RELEASE
    • Tentative Release Date: 3rd January 2024

2024-Q1 (JAN-MAR)
    • Start Analysis Extension API
    • Support full inheritance
    • Add vbWatchdog support
    • Add multi-threading syntax support
    • Start cross-platform support for x86/x64 Linux/Mac (only available to paid Ultimate Edition subscribers)

2024-Q2 (APR-JUN)
    • Support Edit & Continue
    • Start cross-platform support for ARM Linux/Mac/Android (only available to paid Ultimate Edition subscribers)
    • Start of reimplementation of all remaining VB6 shipped controls, such as Winsock, MAPI, Adodc, DataGrid, MSCOMM, etc
    • Support ActiveX controls on tB forms with unmatched bitness, using a proxy-process (e.g. 64-bit app using a 32-bit ActiveX control)
    Errr...I don't see any support for first class functions anywhere there in that plan. Do I have to come over on Discord and make some noise

Frenzied Member

twinBASIC status update:

twinBASIC Update: June 11, 2023

Highlights include a new target release date for version 1, an accompanying roadmap update, and support for Control Arrays.

https://nolongerset.com/twinbasic-update-june-11-2023/

PowerPoster yereverluvinuncleber's Avatar

Being excited about control arrays feels a little nerdy but nevertheless I feel the tingle.
    https://github.com/yereverluvinunclebert

Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.

By the power invested in me, all the threads I start are battle free zones - no arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign.

PowerPoster

can we make twinbasic ide addin(not for vb6 ide addin)

Code:
    Public FormDisplayed          As Boolean
    Public VBInstance             As VBIDE.VBE
    Dim mcbMenuCommandBar         As Office.CommandBarControl
    Dim mfrmAddIn                 As New frmAddIn
    Public WithEvents MenuHandler As CommandBarEvents          '命令栏事件句柄

Sub Hide()

On Error Resume Next

FormDisplayed = False
        mfrmAddIn.Hide

End Sub

Sub Show()

On Error Resume Next

If mfrmAddIn Is Nothing Then
            Set mfrmAddIn = New frmAddIn
        End If

Set mfrmAddIn.VBInstance = VBInstance
        Set mfrmAddIn.Connect = Me
        FormDisplayed = True
        mfrmAddIn.Show

End Sub

Frenzied Member

twinBASIC status update:

twinBASIC Update: June 18, 2023

Highlights include bug fixes related to timer events, argument/property handling, and IntelliSense, plus a screenshot of a simple browser written in twinBASIC.

https://nolongerset.com/twinbasic-update-june-18-2023/

However, you pay a penalty, every array access now adds the penalty of bounds checking.
    Excuse my ignorance, but does this happen every time the program looks at the array? In advanced options, if you choose to activate the "Remove array bounds checks" it means that it would be faster, but less secure, is that it?

PowerPoster

https://www.vbforums.com/showthread.php?890181-TwinBasic

Hope to keep a few mature old versions of IDE exe and source code, like VB3.0,VB5.0,VB6.0, VBA
    Some people prefer that the entire IDE takes up less hard disk space.
    When more like VB6, the installation package may change from the earliest 50M to 200M, and finally become 500M.
    We like VB6, but we don't like VB.NET.
    We only need VB6 to add a few features, such as 64-bit support, CDECL support, and creating multithreading. Add a nice IDE interface.
    If you do not save the VB5 source code, want to have less hard disk space, but also want to improve a little is impossible.

PowerPoster

Re: twinBASIC programming - Beta releases

-What does your post have to do with tB beta releases?

-VB6 supports CDecl with The trick's patch

-VB6 is never getting updated again unless the source leaks, and it hasn't. Unfortunately not even the msvbvm source leaked with all the other leaks.

-tB is only 11MB; WebView2 is heavier but it's an independent package.

Frenzied Member

twinBASIC status update:

twinBASIC Update: June 25, 2023

Highlights include experimental data-binding support, a new Q&A channel in the twinBASIC Discord server, and coming 64-bit support for Kr00l's VBFlexGrid control.

https://nolongerset.com/twinbasic-update-june-25-2023/

I know that TwinBasic is under development, but is there any dedicated place where we could raise bugs ?Thank you.
    "VB code is practically pseudocode" - Tanner Helland
    "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all" - Matt Groening
    "If you wait until you are ready, it is almost certainly too late" - Seth Godin
    "Believe nothing you hear, and only one half that you see" - Edgar Allan Poe

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Duta View Post
    I know that TwinBasic is under development, but is there any dedicated place where we could raise bugs ?Thank you.
    Try its github repo, I would use issues there.

The ides is once out of development (i.e. 100% done) all issues will be closed and repo removed but frankly no software is 100% ever done so the chance repo's issues section remaining available is pretty high.

cheers,
    </wqw>

PowerPoster

I can't see the repo being closed unless tB is shut down via legal action or buyout for purpose of killing it... there's always going to be bugs just like every other large scale project, and there's plans for tB long after 1.0, just like all the other languages continue to be updated. According to the roadmap Wayne posted, the long sought-after cross platform work and built in multithreading syntax aren't even getting started until next year after the 1.0 release. (You can multithread now via API; CreateThread can be called without any of the hacks required for that in VB)

You can also report bugs on the twinBASIC Discord #bugs channel, which is just as active as GitHub, or in this thread if neither of those options are acceptable.

Frenzied Member

twinBASIC status update:

twinBASIC Update: July 2, 2023

Highlights include support for vbaObjAddRef, improvements to the Problems pane, and twinBASIC moving up the BASIC-like language rankings.

twinBASIC Update: July 2, 2023 (nolongerset.com)

Page 42 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3239404142434445 ... LastLast