Thread: twinBASIC poll

Frenzied Member

twinBASIC poll

Wayne has set up a poll in Discord asking what we are most looking forward to in twinBASIC

https://discord.com/channels/twinBASIC poll

Options are:
    • MDI Forms
    • PropertyPages
    • fafalone's next show and tell
    • Mike's DevCon presentation
    • RADBasic
    • something else
    Last edited by VB6 Programming; Mar 22nd, 2024 at 03:32 AM.

PowerPoster yereverluvinuncleber's Avatar

Re: twinBASIC poll

Put the poll here too to allow local voting and discussion. There are many here that just don't want a discord account but might still want their voice heard - you know the type, the 'older' vb6ers that just want to code in vb6 without all that 'other stuff'... Those that can just about manage a forum login.
    https://github.com/yereverluvinunclebert

Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.

By the power invested in me, all the threads I start are battle free zones - no arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign.

PowerPoster

This was just to test the new polling feature, not a serious poll lol,

But yes, tell us, are you most excited about RADBasic, or my next project?

You're always welcome to make threads in this subforum to post questions, comments, feature requests, or even bug reports if you really don't want to use GitHub or Discord. Wayne reads posts regularly, so they'll get seen. Especially now that tB has its own subforum here... talking about tB is what we're here for!

I guessed that it was a little tongue-in-cheek but in truth I do not want to dip into Discord at the moment as I have enough to take on my precious time. I do tend to become sucked into something new and I really want to avoid that at all costs. I don't have enough years.

Re: RADBasic as a joke option - If it had appeared a few years ago I think we would all be praising it and perhaps it would be proceeding with greater speed than it is now with TwinBasic 64 as a competitor. I think we need to be a little more kind but at the same time realistic. Treating it as a joke seems a little unkind. Let's be just realistic and not openly and deliberately cruel.

re: TB or TwinBasic, I am generally referring to it as TB64 or TwinBasic 64, it seems to get the message over a little bit better when talking to those that don't know it at all. I know it generates 32 bits as well but that's not a selling point for the general population of devs. 64 seems to really mean something.

Polls - just a reminder to add the official polls here too.

Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.

By the power invested in me, all the threads I start are battle free zones - no arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign.

Quote Originally Posted by yereverluvinuncleber View Post
    Re: RADBasic as a joke option - If it had appeared a few years ago I think we would all be praising it and perhaps it would be proceeding with greater speed than it is now with TwinBasic 64 as a competitor. I think we need to be a little more kind but at the same time realistic. Treating it as a joke seems a little unkind. Let's be just realistic and not openly and deliberately cruel.
    Works of others must always be respected.
    IMO it's better to have 2 options to select than none.
    All the best for everyone.

PowerPoster

Well I've explained this before but will again... I don't feel Carles is approaching things honestly. His public posts are extremely misleading about the progress of RB, and you need to pay money to even find out actual details like the webpage is lying about all those controls being implemented already. After trying several other dead-simple COM objects, CreateObject failed on all of them-- I suspect it is hardcoded to work only with the ChatGPT example, and not a general implementation of CreateObject.

Right on the home page, in big letters at the center, "100% compatible with your Visual Basic 6 projects". Not 'will be', 'planned', 'goal'... The of "shipped" controls that are "available", green checkmark under "Reimplemented" when only a small handful have even barebones partial support... it's a pattern of misrepresentation with all actual detail flatly contradicting the implications and sometimes the explicit language behind a paywall.

Then it's 3 years in with very, very little progress being made overall. That's fine if it's your personal project you accept donations for, but it's not fine for a commercial product you're selling subscriptions for under misleading descriptions indicating it's actually useful for something. At its current pace it will be 8-10 years before it even gets to where tB was 2 years ago; and tB is also a 1-man show so it's a fair comparison. It still doesn't support many basic language features. It can't even handle complex And/Or statements. And it's not honest about any of this before asking for money.

Two options would indeed be better. Too bad RB isn't one. It's not a viable project and at this point is harmful both as a borderline scam and to people who look at it first and then expect twinBASIC to be in the same class because of all this language putting them together as two potential options. But they're not remotely close. tB is useful *now*, with extensive support for running complex VB code *and* dozens of new language features (RB has none of note), and you can discover that with the free community edition which has virtually no restrictions. It's the opposite of RBs opaqueness with all release notes public, bug reporting conducted openly, detailed info about what's not implemented yet.

Respect is earned, not an entitlement. RB has done much to lose it, so yes it's become a bit of a joke around here. I'd love to see Carles step up, fix these issues, and put enough time and effort to make RB a potential competitor, but right now it's not respectable.

I hear what you are saying re: RADBasic. I hope he makes more progress and proves to us all that he is a contender. He has a lot of catching up to do.

Faf. I always look forward to your next project.