Page 1 of 46 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: TwinBasic

The Idiot

TwinBasic

since theres no thread about this I think its time to make one.
    check https://www.twinbasic.com/
    and now (2021-01-19) theres 5 videos to watch and planned release February 2021

this could be it. but before we start the festivities lets wait for the release so we can play around first.

the reason to start this thread is to notify about news, this because the other 2 threads Vb6 , the Future, and what I have discovered and [RESOLVED] Develop a new/modern VB6-IDE that mention twinbasic are not updated.

comparing the VB6 IDE and TwinBasic, I prefer VB6 as Im used to it. so hopefully it can be customized a bit, colors, font etc.
    sure I will get used to it eventually. the importance is the language and how easy is to find in the code, organize it etc.
    Last edited by baka; Mar 18th, 2021 at 10:45 AM.

Re: TwinBasic

Come on me ... TwinBasic

PowerPoster yereverluvinuncleber's Avatar

Should this also be the TwinBasic and RADBasic thread? I know there is a RADBASIC thread https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....light=radbasic but the two new projects need to be kept in the communities' consciousness at the same time and with equal attention. Both projects have potential and are deserving.

https://www.radbasic.dev/blog/2019/0...ject_about.php

Re: TwinBasic & RADBasic

@WaynePhillipsEA,

With just a week left for January to end when is TwinBasic planning to release its creation in February. Any date guess?
    --
    From,
    Indic Software

Revolutionary Visual Programming IDE.

They'll be late, we are ALL late.

The Idiot

new page and new video!

It's still in the oven baking ...

The RADBasic dev is working hard to get something ready for testing. I'm not sure whether it will be released for general testing or just to a select group of testers but something is emerging from the pipeline shortly. Just an update to keep the thread warm.

I may be wrong, but apparently the twinbasic goes further ...

Lively Member

waiting with anticipation.
    I hope its as good as its reporting, I wonder which one will be first/better, TwinBasic or RADBasic. they both sound like my dream coming true
    Last edited by Semke; Feb 18th, 2021 at 06:37 AM. Reason: typo

The Idiot

just 4 more days and after that they failed the release date.
    understandable that it can take more time, thats the life of a dev. but I hope its nothing serious that halted the development

Addicted Member

Hello everyone. Just wanted to pop in and give you an update on twinBASIC developments.

Our home-schooling requirements during the UK national lockdown has affected our work output more significantly than anticipated. We are working night and day to get as much done as possible, and things are progressing well, but despite our best efforts our work output is only a third of where it would normally be.

The good news is that our kids go back to school on 8th March, and normal operations will then resume. The first twinBASIC release will now be rescheduled for March. Please accept our apologies. I promise it will be worth the wait!

The Idiot

np, good to know its "life" that is slowing things down, as its usually that, circumstances.
    the importance is that the motivation is there and the coding is going smoothly without giving too much headaches.
    one month extra is nothing with such big project. keep it up!
    and hopefully we will win against this virus so we can resume normality, if theres even possible to get back to what it was.

Quote Originally Posted by WaynePhillipsEA View Post
    Just wanted to pop in and give you an update on twinBASIC developments.
    Thanks for that, the update appreciated.

Damn, the twinbasic wasn't even released and I'm already a fan of it ...

Just spotted this, I'm a long-time contributer to the Rubberduck extension - Wayne has contributed some of the most complex, ingenious code to the project, deep inside the internals of VB. I'm quite sure this is real, and I'm really looking forward to seeing it.

The Idiot

Im thinking a bit here.
    twinbasic offer 32/64 bit but right now without any gui.
    I see from time to time people asking a way to deal with 64bit, but still using their own 32bit application, like a communicator between the 32bit application, the meddler with the 64bit dll/packages.

do you think twinbasic could be that now on its early stage since theres no gui right now, it could at least act as a meddler?
    example:
    we create an app in twinbasic 64bit, that will communicate with the 64 bit DLLs.
    and we create a server functionality that our 32bit application can communicate with.

what say?

PowerPoster

This thread should be in the VB6 and earlier forum. Nobody see it here (I found it with a Google search).

Eduardo ... If you put it there, it will be moved

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Episcopal View Post
    Eduardo ... If you put it there, it will be moved
    But that would be wrong. This subject is totally of interest of the VB6 community, and only for the VB6 community.

I, as I think most users, only go to the VB6 and earlier forum, I don't navigate for all the many forums and subforums here (that I even don't remember they exists).

Quote Originally Posted by Eduardo- View Post
    I, as I think most users, only go to the VB6 and earlier forum, I don't navigate for all the many forums and subforums here (that I even don't remember they exists).
    I also only browse vb6 and earlier.

Then create a thread there, add a brief summary and link it here for information purposes, the thread is in the correct place here.

We have an idea of what TwinBasic might be but it isn't yet VB6 but one day it might handle VB6 projects whatever they may be - but I understand it will be a BASIC dialect with VB6 compatibility and 64bit. I may be wrong.

We have an idea that RADBasic is striving to be completely VB6 compatible but at the moment that is an aspiration so for the moment RADBasic isn't VB6 but aims to be in the same space VB6 is now (but supported and 64bit).

Until those aspirations are proven and one of those projects becomes both the spiritual and practical successor to VB6 then the thread belongs here I think.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Episcopal View Post
    I also only browse vb6 and earlier.
    My guess is that this thread was posted originally in VB6 & earlier forum and then moved by the moderators, but not sure.

BTW: I don't think that it is a good idea to have so many subforums when most ones are never used or visited (and most members don't even know they exist).

Perhaps when VB had millions of developers that could made sense, but now that we are a few, we are all in one place.

The Idiot

yeah, I posted this in vb6&earlier but was moved.
    I feel the same, this thread will be invisible for most VB6 users since they will not look outside the VB6 threads.

when twinbasic is out and we can play with it, maybe it can be integrated with VB6 if the code is working in both or theres a communication between the two (as I posted about earlier)

RADBasic latest update.

The Idiot

hopefully we can try both this year. looking forward to try and compare the two projects.
    rad basic looks simpler, and not in a bad way. I dont care how it looks, just that it works and do what I need.

Quote Originally Posted by mansellan View Post
    Just spotted this, I'm a long-time contributer to the Rubberduck extension - Wayne has contributed some of the most complex, ingenious code to the project, deep inside the internals of VB. I'm quite sure this is real, and I'm really looking forward to seeing it.
    https://github.com/rubberduck-vba/Ru...aynePhillipsEA

cheers,
    </wqw>

p.s. And now I can get notified of new posts in this thread.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by wqweto View Post
    p.s. And now I can get notified of new posts in this thread.
    I believe that we can subscribe to treads also from the "Thread Tools" menu that is on top (although I never tried it).

Sinecure devotee

Quote Originally Posted by Eduardo- View Post
    I believe that we can subscribe to treads also from the "Thread Tools" menu that is on top (although I never tried it).
    Unless you've disabled it, the default option is to automatically be subscribed to any thread you've posted in, which is what I think wqweto was referring to in his p.s.
    He didn't ask "how" to get notified, he stated "now" he can get notified, since he has posted in the thread.
    "Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he is supposed to be doing at that moment" Robert Benchley, 1930

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by passel View Post
    Unless you've disabled it, the default option is to automatically be subscribed to any thread you've posted in, which is what I think wqweto was referring to in his p.s.
    He didn't ask "how" to get notified, he stated "now" he can get notified, since he has posted in the thread.
    I understood his post as an action with the purpose of being notified of the thread.

PowerPoster

It's too bad that it's not VB6 and it's not allowed to be displayed in the VB6 section. This so-called other channel even has less than ten posts. The equivalent of life imprisonment. Any new IDE like VB6, I don't think should be treated so unfairly. Just as there are very few Indians who are classified as colored.

There's a RADBasic thread in the VB6 forum https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....w-radbasic-dev
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

The Idiot

this thread should now only be about TwinBasic!

I'm not really sure what is being demonstrated here #25. It looks like a simple project browser at this point after all this time, without any significant capabilities...not a single one demonstrated. Is it being debugged or just shelled.... This project is fake

The Idiot

that is radbasic.
    please go here: https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....w-radbasic-dev

(before it was moved here we used this thread, but now since we have radbasic on its own thread, we keep this one twinbasic only)

I'll re-post that RADBasic video there then instead. @Ttn, I don't think it is a fake, I think it just shows what he's done up to this point - and no more. I think he is trying to bash out a user-testable version of what he has built so far. A proof of concept using ANTLR to convert and LLVMClang to compile. Most likely he will release it soon for users to test. I am more positive than most with regard to the various efforts being made here and there to take VB6 forward. I think he has a path and he is pursuing it with positivity. That is 50% of the battle, just having a direction and pursuing it without being deflected by any negativity - you know what I mean as you have experienced it yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by baka View Post
    that is radbasic.
    (before it was moved here we used this thread, but now since we have radbasic on its own thread, we keep this one twinbasic only)
    We certainly had a RadBasic thread (before this one) but it was quite an incendiary thread and more about community disapproval, disbelief and negativity as to the technical approach of such a tool. As such it died a little death... but it has been re-opened now and so I will post about RADBasic there instead. Let's try to stay positive in this thread and the other and try to help the developers in any way we can, regardless of our own opinion.

Fanatic Member

I see TwinBasic are now saying "The first preview version of twinBASIC will be released to the public on 7th April 2021"

This first version of twinBASIC will not offer any GUI (form) elements.
    Once we have finalized and fixed up any bugs in the first release of twinBASIC, we will be focusing on three key areas over the coming weeks and months:
    • Forms / GUI support, including full backwards compatibility with existing VB6 forms.
    • Native compilation.
    • Cross-platform compilation.
    https://twinbasic.com/

The Idiot

one thing that I would like to understand is the cross-platform compilation.
    VB6 is "a lot" of API calls, the graphics, is GDI, so to make it compatible all that need a substitute.
    will twinbasic offer a substitute for windows as well? to make the graphic more robust and faster than gdi?

I mean, if I use direct2d to create some graphics in VB6, how will that be possible to use on ios/mac/linux/? when they don't have it?
    if I use GDI api calls, its the same, that need to be converted on ios/mac/linux/?.

if I use the internal VB6 graphics, its too slow and limited. this need to be addressed so it can be added early.

as I can see we have 32/64 bit mode we can switch between.
    I would like a "cross" mode, that is made for the cross-platform purpose. in that mode, u can not add anything that is not "supported", so u can only add things that actually works in all platforms. so kind of "limited-mode".
    and of course, if the community can create a "plugin", similar to RC6/cairo. that can be used for the cross-mode.
    Last edited by baka; Mar 26th, 2021 at 11:27 AM.

Addicted Member

@baka, when it comes to cross-platform, the feature set will indeed have to be much more limited. Certainly no GDI/direct2d/etc, as you'd be better off running under WINE for such things.

Our plans on the GUI side of things will offer much greater flexibility than what VB6 offers though There are already plans for a 'legacy' mode in twinBASIC to allow restricting the feature set for pure VB6 compatibility, and so there will naturally be an extension of that when it comes to cross-compilation to restrict the feature set up-front.

Page 1 of 46 123411 ... LastLast