Page 21 of 46 FirstFirst ... 111819202122232431 ... LastLast

Thread: TwinBasic

Re: TwinBasic

Well there you have it guys, from the main developer himself. Instead of biting my head off for my opinions, go over there and make big noise. Here is this link.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

The following makes interesting reading

https://codedocs.org/what-is/b-programming-language

extract

Circa 1969, Ken Thompson[2] and later Dennis Ritchie[3] developed B basing it mainly on the BCPL language Thompson used in the Multics project. B was essentially the BCPL system stripped of any component Thompson felt he could do without in order to make it fit within the memory capacity of the minicomputers of the time. The BCPL to B transition also included changes made to suit Thompson's preferences (mostly along the lines of reducing the number of non-whitespace characters in a typical program).[2] Much of the typical ALGOL-like syntax of BCPL was rather heavily changed in this process. The assignment operator := changed to = and the equality operator = was replaced by ==.
    Thompson added "two-address assignment operators" using x =+ y syntax to add y to x (in C the operator is written +=). This syntax came from Douglas McIlroy's implementation of TMG, in which B's compiler was first implemented (and it came to TMG from ALGOL 68's x +:= y syntax).[2][4] Thompson went further by inventing the increment and decrement operators (++ and --). Their prefix or postfix position determines whether the value is taken before or after alteration of the operand. This innovation was not in the earliest versions of B. According to Dennis Ritchie, people often assumed that they were created for the auto-increment and auto-decrement address modes of the DEC PDP-11, but this is historically impossible as the machine didn't exist when B was first developed.[2]

The Idiot

yeah, and since nowadays we don't have memory limits, we don't need to make compact programming.
    I can understand that, if u have 4k memory, u can't do that much before its all filled up, u need to program in a way that will take as little memory possible.

Quote Originally Posted by baka View Post
    yeah, and since nowadays we don't have memory limits, we don't need to make compact programming.
    I can understand that, if u have 4k memory, u can't do that much before its all filled up, u need to program in a way that will take as little memory possible.
    Compact language syntax and runtime memory usage aren't really related. Yes in early versions of c ++ and +1 mapped to different Cpu instructions but that hasn't been the case for decades. Any decent compiler would produce the same result regardless of language subtleties.

X += 1, x++, and x = x + 1 would all be treated the same in a decent compiler. The syntax is for the benefit of the programmer.

PowerPoster yereverluvinuncleber's Avatar

I am a VB6er, almost dyed-in-the-wool. I have programmed in javascript and I am quite used to the C-style operators there. When I am programming in .js I tend to use the proper methods or the old BASIC style and it does not worry me one jot as to whether some other programmer, versed in B or C-style syntax, thinks that my code is rubbish. I easily intertwine both styles and as long as they both work in .js (and they mostly do) then I have been content.

That should work the other way around for me too. I will continue to use the BASIC operators even if others are available. With regard to >> and RSHIT(sic) - both would suit me fine but I doubt if I'd ever have the opportunity to use either.
    https://github.com/yereverluvinunclebert

Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.

By the power invested in me, all the threads I start are battle free zones - no arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign.

The Idiot

PlausiblyDamp that was my point.
    that, its not important anymore, for decades,
    but the syntax is still here, that part didnt evolve when computers got more memory.

so my point is that using those abbreviations is not a "this is how you code", but "this is how they created the syntax in the first place to save space and you are still using it for compatibility"
    and thats also my argument why Basic "don't" need to implement such things, we can use LShift without worries.

I ask myself. Do I want Basic to Evolve? To be a language that is onpar with c++? hell yeah I want that. but I also want the language itself, the syntax to evolve and show we can do it our way.
    its not that "its not basic'ish" to use pointer or shift this and that, I want it to be "it is basic" to use pointers and shift that and the other, but we use our own words for it.

You don't ever want to be like c++. BY all means have the same high level functionality as c++ but don't evolve the way c evolved to c++, to get not be trapped by being afraid to move on from syntax that is a hindrance, even if it means breaking changes. If you'd like to see a path along which you might evolve VBA you could take some hints from the Nim programming language which has kindly done away with all those annoying 'end xxxx' as well as refraining from using the dreaded '{ code block} ' as well as allowing the very neat syntax sugar of allowing function( a,b,c) to be written as a.function(b,c) (and other variants)

PowerPoster

In case any one is interested in migrating an existing VB6 project to tB, I've posted my experiences here: https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....=1#post5550066. Hopefully it will help other tB newbies avoid some of the little bumps in the road I hit, but overall it was a surprisingly pleasant migration.

Quote Originally Posted by jpbro View Post
    In case any one is interested in migrating an existing VB6 project to tB, I've posted my experiences here: https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....=1#post5550066. Hopefully it will help other tB newbies avoid some of the little bumps in the road I hit, but overall it was a surprisingly pleasant migration.
    Wayne did a very good job with TwinBASIC. It is as true a successor to VB6 as I've ever seen! Most non-UI VB6 code just works in TwinBASIC with little to no changes. Even entire libraries like Olaf's RichClient works.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Quote Originally Posted by mansellan View Post
    @Shaggy Hiker,

You've mentioned a few times that this thread is getting lenghty. Would you mind if I start reposting twinBASIC language proposals in this forum as new threads, prefixed with [twinBASIC]? I feel like there's some great discussion to be had here that's just not getting captured on the repo
    That would be GREAT! There is no good reason why there is just ONE thread on TwinBasic. Having more threads, especially with that prefix, would show the interest that exists in the project. If there are enough threads like that, it might become it's own sub-forum.

It is probably possible to have that prefix added to the set of prefixes. There are prefixes that can be used for Visual Studio, and there's the [RESOLVED] prefix, so it's a feature. That's not something that I can do, though, you'd have to ask Steve Jones.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

I culled this thread, and perhaps a bit too excessively. I realize that people have strong opinions about this. I realize that people have strong opinions about other members of the forum. I have strong opinions, as well. However, this is a good thread. It will stay a good thread as long as people argue about the language and not about one another.

The Idiot

well I will follow the mods decision...

anyway in Bit Manipulation #396 https://github.com/WaynePhillipsEA/t...iscussions/396

theres some discussion about c-operators. and specifically Left/Right Shift (for now)

- some enjoy the c-operators
    - some think we should have a basic-variation
    - some think if we add a basic-variation it will pollute

well, I don't think that way, but I posted that I was even willingly accept a compromise, if they don't want to have specific functions for basic,
    the suggestion was a "container", example:

cOperator.LeftShift A,2
    cOperator.RightShift A,2
    cOperator.LeftShiftAssign A,2

that can be used instead of all the c-operators.
    and that can be filled with all kinds of operation and math stuff.
    at least its not that much "polluted", instead just 1 container that has multiple choices.

even so, I would still like
    LShift A,2
    and maybe even
    LShift A,2, True (for assignment) or A = LShift(A,2)
    Last edited by baka; Dec 28th, 2021 at 01:56 PM.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    Wayne did a very good job with TwinBASIC. It is as true a successor to VB6 as I've ever seen! Most non-UI VB6 code just works in TwinBASIC with little to no changes. Even entire libraries like Olaf's RichClient works.
    Yes he has done a great job, I'm very impressed so far. Certainly the most promising thing I've seen with regard to a future for existing VB6 code.

LShift A,2
    This is assembly language syntax. The SHL and SHR assembly instructions use this exact syntax. In other words, we are just replacing C syntax with assembly syntax. This is not BASIC.

A = LShift(A,2)
    This implies a function call. A bit shift operation at the machine code level is a single instruction but a function call is made up of several instructions. In fact let me show what it will look like at the machine code level. Assuming the standard calling convention and all data types and parameters are 32 bit integers, you will get this at the call site:-
    Code:
    push dword 2 ;; Push the value 2 onto the stack
    push dword [ebp - 16] ;; Push A onto the stack
    call [LShift] ;; Call the left shift function
    This would be the LShift function:-
    Code:
    push ebp
    mov ebp, esp

mov eax, [ebp + 8] ;; Copy first parameter into EAX register
    mov ecx, [ebp + 12] ;; Copy the second parameter into the ECX register
    shl eax, CL ;; Perform the left shift on EAX

mov esp, ebp
    pop ebp
    ret 8 ;; Clear the stack and return. Return value is in EAX
    The above may not be 100% accurate but it's going to look something like that. That's 11 instructions for something that can be performed in 1 instruction.

Now you may be tempted to suggest that LShift be implemented as an intrinsic function however, this would also undermine the argument of keeping it BASIC. Intrinsic functions are a C thing. There are no true intrinsic functions in VB6 that I am aware of. Introducing intrinsic functions into TwinBASIC would make it more like C.

cOperator.LeftShift A,2
    cOperator.RightShift A,2
    cOperator.LeftShiftAssign A,2
    This is even worse because not only are we involving function call overhead, as shown above but a whole lot of extra stuff for handling method calls on objects(VTABLES, this pointers and whatnot). We could easily be looking at 20+ instructions just to perform a simple bit shift here.
    Last edited by Niya; Dec 28th, 2021 at 02:46 PM.

However, let me throw you a bone. If you insist on not having >> or <<.....just replace those symbols with something wordy like what we have with NOT, AND, OR and MOD. That is the only way that makes sense and it is consistent with what is expected of BASIC.

The Idiot

not really. u are not thinking carefully here.
    a "compiler" can translate it into anything.

its not that what you code will be exactly that in native code.

so, if I write:

MakeShiftLeftTheBasicWay A, 2, False

the compiler can "translate that" to

A << 2

and go from there.
    Last edited by Shaggy Hiker; Dec 28th, 2021 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Should have chopped it earlier.

You're probably right that a compiler can do the right thing. Still, I think what Wayne suggested with the ability to toggle the feature on and off would make most people happiest. That would go against the wishes of those who feel it will pollute, but you can't have it all ways, and this way would be as many ways as possible.

After all, there are things in Basic that have been dragging on, and need to keep dragging on, despite most everybody realizing they aren't a good idea. Some of those ought to goto, but they won't.

MakeShiftLeftTheBasicWay A, 2, False
    the compiler can "translate that" to
    A << 2
    These two things are not the same. One is a function call syntax and the other is a binary operator. How would that clumsy syntax work when you have to do something like this:-
    Code:
            Dim r, g, b As Byte
            Dim intColor As Integer

r = 45
            g = 100
            b = 27

intColor = b Or (CInt(g) << 8) Or (CInt(r) << 16) Or (&HFFI << 24)

Simple, effective and straight to the point.

Didn't Shaggy already warn us about veering off the actual discussion to throw insults? Let's be civil here. I have opinions, just like you do. We are just having a discussion about a programming language. This is nothing personal.
    Last edited by Shaggy Hiker; Dec 28th, 2021 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Removed a quote of a removed post.

I think I'll pay a little visit to GitHub later. Give you something to really be vexed about.

Take the high road. Wayne has his hands full as it is. I can't imagine that he isn't dismayed by some of the arguing going on here.

This is why I feel no previous attempt at a replacement to VB6 ever went anywhere: The people who want it, want it VERY badly, but they all want something slightly different...and are willing to fight to the point of destruction for what they want. Eventually, the person(s) working on the alternative got fed up with intransigent demands and decided to go do something less vexing.

I have an opinion on the operators, as well. I haven't shared it because it's not something I care about. Of the options suggested, I feel that LeftShift (or ShiftLeft) and << are the best alternatives (along with the right shift versions), but I don't care (my preference is one of those two alternatives). Every language has some anachronisms. C has case sensitivity, basic has Set and goto, and so on. We live with the quirks until they become endearing features. But I still don't care. If Wayne were to put it to a vote, I wouldn't vote because I don't care enough to attempt to influence the outcome by even that little bit. Let those who do care vote.

However, despite the passion people feel for the direction of a programming language, we need to be able to lose a fight graciously. If you can't do that, you end up in a debilitating, existential, battle over every little thing. Not only is that not good for either party, it's not good for TwinBasic in general.

PowerPoster yereverluvinuncleber's Avatar

We'll take what TB and RB have to offer us. It is not a democracy but we are living in good times for VB6 and we should not forget it.
    https://github.com/yereverluvinunclebert

Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.

By the power invested in me, all the threads I start are battle free zones - no arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    However, despite the passion people feel for the direction of a programming language, we need to be able to lose a fight graciously. If you can't do that, you end up in a debilitating, existential, battle over every little thing. Not only is that not good for either party, it's not good for TwinBasic in general.
    I'm in that position. I said my opinion, that I acknowledge it is as biased as the opinion from any other person is, I made all the argumentation, and that's it.

I admit (to myself and here) that I could be wrong.
    My point is that I don't want Basic to become jargon as I see in other languages.

About the << >> operators, those are rarely used anyway. These kind of operations are not needed frequently.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by yereverluvinuncleber View Post
    We'll take what TB and RB have to offer us. It is not a democracy
    Also true, so why to take it too hard if you can't decide anything.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by WaynePhillipsEA View Post
    I've always said that backwards compatibility is the number 1 priority with twinBASIC. You simply have no idea the lengths that we have gone to, and continue to go to, to try to achieve 100% backwards compatibility, every single day... for every single decision we consider in detail the backwards compatibility aspect.
    Thank you Wayne, I'm very glad that this is the case.
    I want to be able to open my existing code in a living, evolving, language.
    Whatever syntactical decisions are made there, I'm sure I can live with.

Quote Originally Posted by Eduardo- View Post
    My point is that I don't want Basic to become jargon as I see in other languages.

About the << >> operators, those are rarely used anyway. These kind of operations are not needed frequently.
    I have that very complaint with the C family of syntaxes, and have made the point several times on this forum. My objection isn't so much readability as typability. Being a touch typist, getting to those symbol keys is pretty awkward. Interestingly, >> and << are an exception to this, since they happen to be above a pair of very accessible keys. I'd never really noticed that before, though. I really should like [] and {}, as they aren't so badly placed (the pinkie is a remarkably good typing finger), but I've never really liked them. I should prefer them to () and yet I don't. Funny thing, that.

I suppose it just goes to show that habits can be formed. My fingers know where the letters are, and where () are, but I have never formed a habit around most of the symbols on the number keys.

You make a good point about bit shift operators being very rarely used. I really LIKE to use them, when I can, but it sure is a rare event. I've always appreciated how very fast the left and right shift operations are on the x86 architecture. It doesn't matter anymore, but it was mighty nice back in the early 90s. I had a quick approximation of the Pythagorean Theorem that used those. It wasn't totally accurate, but it was far faster than a couple multiplications, let alone a square root operation.

Quote Originally Posted by vbrad View Post
    Thank you Wayne, I'm very glad that this is the case.
    I want to be able to open my existing code in a living, evolving, language.
    Whatever syntactical decisions are made there, I'm sure I can live with.
    Same here!

Just curious and for a bit of teasing

These two things are not the same. One is a function call syntax and the other is a binary operator. How would that clumsy syntax work when you have to do something like this:-
    Code:
    Code:
    Dim r, g, b As Byte
            Dim intColor As Integer

r = 45
            g = 100
            b = 27

Simple, effective and straight to the point.
    By my reckoning that means intColor is b. But preferably I'd want a compilation error for trying to Or a Byte and an Integer (which in VBA is 16 bits if I'm not mistaken, Long is 32 and long long is 64)

The Idiot

he didnt dim it correctly

Dim r, g, b as Byte is actually Dim r as variant, g as variant, b as byte
    and why do you make it byte, when u need it as integer and the result needs to be integer:

I would code it as:

Code:
    Dim r%, g%, b%, intColor%

r = 45: g = 100: b = 27
    intColor = b or (g << 8) or (r << 16) or (255% << 24)

Pay closer attention. That is VB.Net code, not VB6.

VB6 doesn't have bit shift operators. Integers are 32 bits and Dim statements only require you to specify the type once for all variables declared in VB.Net.
    Last edited by Niya; Dec 29th, 2021 at 08:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by freeflow View Post
    But preferably I'd want a compilation error for trying to Or a Byte and an Integer
    That is a bit over zealous. A Byte aligns bitwise to the least significant byte of an Integer so it's a valid operation. But if you're paranoid, you can CInt it too to be explicit. The compiler does it implicitly without CInt.

I'm paranoid. I don't think I'd do either of those. I believe I'd use Color.FromARGB().

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    I'm paranoid. I don't think I'd do either of those. I believe I'd use Color.FromARGB().
    That does something different. Color.FromARGB converts an Integer to a Color structure. The code I posted is an example of how that Integer may be created in the first place. This is the full test code:-
    Code:
            Dim r, g, b As Byte
            Dim intColor As Integer

r = 45
            g = 100
            b = 27

Dim cl As Color = Color.FromArgb(intColor)

Debug.WriteLine($"Color structure A = {cl.A.ToString} R = {cl.R.ToString} G = {cl.G.ToString} B = {cl.B.ToString}")
    Output:-
    Code:
    Color structure A = 255 R = 45 G = 100 B = 27
    I would code it as:
    Code:
    Dim r%, g%, b%, intColor%
    You typically treat RGBA colour fields as 8 bit unsigned integers.
    Last edited by Niya; Dec 29th, 2021 at 01:28 PM.

The Idiot
    Last edited by baka; Dec 29th, 2021 at 03:39 PM.

Notice that there is no vote to remove << and >> which is common-sense.

Of course I voted "NOT BOTHERED either way" as I don't mind weird BASIC operators/functions for which there is no equivalent operator in C/C++.

It's Wayne's chore now to implement NPV and PPmt functions down to the last dot and minus.

But who knows, in the next iteration of C++ language they might decide to use ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ operator for NPV equivalent :-))

cheers,
    </wqw>

Quote Originally Posted by wqweto View Post
    Of course I voted "NOT BOTHERED either way" as I don't mind weird BASIC operators/functions for which there is no equivalent operator in C/C++.
    I voted in opposition to adding them. It's just unnecessary noise in my view. I'd also add that having multiple operators that do the exact same thing in a programming language is just madness. No other language does this.

Addicted Member

Thanks everyone. I do find this debate fascinating, and appreciate all those that have voted.

It's Wayne's chore now to implement NPV and PPmt functions down to the last dot and minus.
    All the financial functions are already implemented. Feel free to test them though in case we missed any edge cases!

Quote Originally Posted by WaynePhillipsEA View Post
    All the financial functions are already implemented. Feel free to test them though in case we missed any edge cases!
    +1 and LOL

Now that's sheer determination on getting 100% compatibility :-))

cheers,
    </wqw>

Frenzied Member

But who knows, in the next iteration of C++ language they might decide to use ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ operator for NPV equivalent :-))
    I'll vote for a ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ operator anyday

Isn't that just a RegEx string?

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    I voted in opposition to adding them. It's just unnecessary noise in my view. I'd also add that having multiple operators that do the exact same thing in a programming language is just madness. No other language does this.
    Really? You sure about that? Count me the number of ways you can concatenate strings in VB.NET ....

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Page 21 of 46 FirstFirst ... 111819202122232431 ... LastLast