Thread: Upgrade to Windows 10

Upgrade to Windows 10

Heartaches by the number, troubles by the score .. ?

I am on Windows 7 and wish to upgrade to Windows 10, if there are not serious issues.
    There are many threads on this and I wish to know from someone who has recently upgraded whether I should consider it seriously.

Microsoft does not allow me to install Windows 7 anymore.

Thanks
    PK

The Idiot

Re: Upgrade to Windows 10

benefits:
    - in windows 10 I noticed that crashes that would occur in windows 7 it will keep the IDE alive in windows 10 (so it seems better memory management or protection)
    - we dont need to hassle with the color schemes we have in windows 7. I start the IDE and end the IDE in the same color scheme in windows 10

I have multiple computers, one using windows 10 but the other windows 7.
    I would think that if possible to have both, to try the projects in both computers to see if theres any issues in one.
    but so far I can't see any issues in windows 10 for "me".

but I read in the thread that people have problems in windows 10, with some components, or some API that are not working as it supposed to do.
    but I also read about improvement in windows 10, that u can use new stuff that are unavailable in windows 7.

PowerPoster

Another issue might be that for many people Windows 10 was the first time they used a 64-bit flavor of Windows. Still others have been stuck on Windows XP with its heavy "make it work like Win9x" appcompat until they finally jumped to Windows 10 all at once.

For me the biggest annoyances have been small: mainly related to old WinHelp not working without trickery and the MSDN CHM Help being "deplatformed" by Windows 10 updates from time to time.

The later is more easily fixed, simply by restoring shortcuts and the hh.dat and *.chw files, which you'll want to manually back up to somewhere so you have them later. The hh.dat holds saved favorites, so you'll probably want to take a new backup fairly often.

Thanks you guys. That's good news. Can I just install a new version 10 over my old version 7 or should I get an upgrade package?
    Will all my dll's still be registered?

PK

PowerPoster

there are several threads about installing vb6 on win 10, pay to read some of them, as a bit pf trickery to the install correctly
    i do my best to test code works before i post it, but sometimes am unable to do so for some reason, and usually say so if this is the case.
    Note code snippets posted are just that and do not include error handling that is required in real world applications, but avoid On Error Resume Next

dim all variables as required as often i have done so elsewhere in my code but only posted the relevant part

come back and mark your original post as resolved if your problem is fixed
    pete

Fanatic Member

I still use VB5 and I let Microsoft do the upgrade from Win-7 and had no issues regarding VB5 and components. I personally like Win-7 better but Win-10 gets the job done except as dilettante points out no workaround so far for old programs that use WinHlp32. The old Appleman API CD stopped working for a bit but some change/upgrade to Win-10 got it going again. I did notice that recent upgrade to 20H2 changed the BCD file on my system. Used to have two choices (Boot from Win-10 or Boot from Win-7). Now says Boot from Win-10 or Rollback Windows). Haven't had time yet to delve into it.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by vb6forever View Post
    ... no workaround so far for old programs that use WinHlp32.
    Actually there are, just no approved solutions. It is working fine here.

There can always be problems ... even more, win10 is always updating, and bugs are appearing ... but I will say what I said on another forum ...

VB6 was born to run on win10

Quote Originally Posted by Episcopal View Post
    .. but I will say what I said on another forum ...

VB6 was born to run on win10
    Interesting. What extra can be done with VB6 in Windows 10?

PK

Nothing extra...
    It just works good on Win10 as it did on Win7

Lively Member

I was written vb6 code and compiled it under Win10, the exe file runs in Win7 and Win10 was works well at all.

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by Peekay View Post
    Heartaches by the number, troubles by the score .. ?

I am on Windows 7 and wish to upgrade to Windows 10, if there are not serious issues.
    There are many threads on this and I wish to know from someone who has recently upgraded whether I should consider it seriously.

Microsoft does not allow me to install Windows 7 anymore.

Thanks
    PK
    I think we need a truely VB7 which have all classic visual basic features and can be Unicode and x64-enabled , if microsoft won't allow us to install Windows 7 then we must request MS to open-source the vb6 in order to give vb6 an alive-way.

Then switch to VB.Net or C#

PowerPoster yereverluvinuncleber's Avatar

Working well on Win10 here on my only Win10 box.

I do prefer Win7 to Win10 but in fact I would prefer XP to Win7 if it were only more secure and had access to more than 3.25gb RAM.

Having 64bit memory address space is a very useful upgrade so Win 7 64 is my preferred platform and it is always worth obtaining a secondhand Win7 licence. One method is to purchase an old machine with Win 7 Pro, then fully upgrade the hardware to obtain a good modern box with a valid licence. Keep backing up that drive!

It is possible to obtain a Win7 distribution from Microsoft that you can write to a USB ready to install Win7 at a whim, you just need a licence - so get one by hook or crook.

Having said that installation is possible on Win10 so don't let small difficulties put you off.

The Idiot

its not true Arnoutdv, and Im sure Dilettante could give you examples of API you can use in windows 10 that are unavailable in windows 7.
    he posted a few times examples that are working on windows 10, graphical examples, I think, that you can not use in windows 7.
    the direct2d typelib that I use is made for windows 7, but I know that in windows 10 theres more features, such as better interpolation modes.
    also, Olaf showed a way to add internet explorer, and in windows 10 it uses a newer version, that allow html5 to work better, as I noticed that in windows 7 is not working as it should.

so, windows 10 offers more, you just need to understand the features and learn how to add them to your project.

Your argument has nothing to do with installing and developing your application on VB6.
    If you want to target on W7 or W95 you as a programmer have to make sure it works.
    Has nothing do with features from W10 not being available on those legacy systems.

The Idiot

the question was: What extra can be done with VB6 in Windows 10?
    your answer: Nothing extra...

but for me "What Extra" we can do with VB6 in Windows 10 is exactly that. new features, new API etc.
    the question was never "what about legacy" to make my project back compatible in windows 10, are there any issues, any API/components that will not work?

But the same goes, VB6 is still VB6.
    The functionality to use external DLLs is and has always been a part of VB6.
    New functionality comes from the available functions in the DLLs provided by OS, not from the VB6 language, not from the IDE nor from the compiler.

The Idiot

the OS is part of how we code in VB6,
    gdi/gdi+, wia, different directx versions etc. VB6 will benefit from what the OS gives u, and thats how I understood the question, what windows 10 offers that can be used in VB6.
    of course VB6 is still the same, but it will run in a different OS that offers new features but also makes some old stuff not work.
    I use both windows 7 and windows 10 and theres both pros and cons in both OS.
    and as I already posted, in windows 10 my project did not crash when I run it in IDE, but in windows 7 doing the exact same thing would crash.
    that for me is "extras".