Thread: I'm typing in a textbox linked to a database and it stops everything from working.

I'm typing in a textbox linked to a database and it stops everything from working.

So I am using a Data Set to insert items into my Microsoft Access Database, but whenever I type in the "CustomerID" Textbox, I am then prevented from doing anything, buttons won't work, Even the windows close form button gets disabled.

Code:
    Option Explicit On
    Option Strict Off

Public Class ManagePodBookings
        Private Sub ManagePodBookings_Load(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
            'Loads the Pod Booking Database
            RefreshData()
            Me.PodBookingsTableAdapter.Fill(Me.PodBookingsDataSet.PodBookings)
        End Sub

Private Sub btnBack_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles btnBack.Click
            'Shows the staff form
            Staff.Show()
            Me.Hide()
        End Sub

Private Sub btnMainMenu_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles btnMainMenu.Click
            'shows the main menu
            MainMenu.Show()
            Me.Hide()
        End Sub

Private Sub PodComboBox_SelectedIndexChanged(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles PodComboBox.SelectedIndexChanged
            'Making it so users cannot edit ComboBox values
            PodComboBox.DropDownStyle = ComboBoxStyle.DropDownList
        End Sub
        'Making it so users cannot edit ComboBox values

Private Sub RefreshData()

'Refreshing the table data
            Try
                Me.PodBookingsBindingSource.Filter = Nothing
                Me.PodBookingsTableAdapter.Fill(Me.PodBookingsDataSet.PodBookings)
            Catch ex As Exception
                MsgBox("There was an error refreshing the data.")
            End Try
        End Sub

Private Sub btnAdd_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles btnAdd.Click
            'Adds a New Record within the Data Table.
            Try
                With btnAdd
                    If .Text = "Add New Record" Then
                        PodBookingsBindingSource.AddNew()
                        PeopleNumericUpDown.Value = 0
                        ArrivalDateDateTimePicker.Value = Now.Date
                        DepartureDateDateTimePicker.Value = Now.Date
                        .Text = "Cancel New Record"
                    Else
                        RefreshData()
                        .Text = "Add New Record"
                    End If
                End With

Catch ex As Exception
                MsgBox("There was an error adding a new record." & ex.Message.ToString(),
                       MsgBoxStyle.OkOnly Or MsgBoxStyle.Information)
            End Try

End Sub

Private Sub Save_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles btnSave.Click
            'Handles the save button
            Try

Dim result As DialogResult
                result = MessageBox.Show("Do you want to save the selected record?",
                               "Glorious Getaways", MessageBoxButtons.YesNo, MessageBoxIcon.Question)

If (result = DialogResult.Yes) Then
                    Validate()
                    PodBookingsBindingSource.EndEdit()
                    TableAdapterManager.UpdateAll(Me.PodBookingsDataSet)

MessageBox.Show("The record has been saved successfully.",
                                "Glorious Getaways", MessageBoxButtons.OK, MessageBoxIcon.Information)

RefreshData()

btnAdd.Text = "Add New Record"

Else

Return
                End If

Catch ex As Exception
                MessageBox.Show("There was an error Saving the Data." & ex.Message.ToString(),
                                "Glorious Getaways", MessageBoxButtons.OK, MessageBoxIcon.Error)
            End Try
        End Sub

Private Sub Delete_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles btnDelete.Click
            'Deletes a record from the Data Table
            Try
                If MessageBox.Show("Do you want to permanently delete the selected record?",
                                   "Glorious Getaways", MessageBoxButtons.YesNo,
                                   MessageBoxIcon.Question, MessageBoxDefaultButton.Button1) =
                                   Windows.Forms.DialogResult.Yes Then
                    PodBookingsBindingSource.RemoveCurrent()

PodBookingsBindingSource.EndEdit()
                    PodBookingsTableAdapter.Update(PodBookingsDataSet.PodBookings)

RefreshData()

MessageBox.Show("The record has been deleted sucessfully.",
                                "Glorious Getaways", MessageBoxButtons.OK, MessageBoxIcon.Information)
                Else
                    Return ' Exit Sub
                End If
            Catch ex As Exception
                MessageBox.Show("There was an error deleting the Data." & ex.Message.ToString(),
            End Try
        End Sub

Private Sub SearchWarning()
            'Disabling search whilst adding new record.
            MsgBox("You are unable to Search whilst adding a new Record.",
                   MsgBoxStyle.OkOnly Or MsgBoxStyle.Exclamation,
                   "Glorious Getaways")
        End Sub

Private Sub SearchBox_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Search.Click, btnSearch.Click
            'Disabling search whilst adding new record.
            If btnAdd.Text = "Cancel New Record" Then
                SearchWarning()
                Exit Sub
            End If
        End Sub

Private Sub SearchButton_Click(search As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles btnSearch.Click
            If PodBookingsBindingSource.Count < 1 Then
                MsgBox("The search item was not found.", MsgBoxStyle.OkOnly Or MsgBoxStyle.Information,
                           "Glorious Getaways")

RefreshData()
            End If

Try
            Catch ex As Exception
                MessageBox.Show("There was an error when Searching." & ex.Message.ToString(),
            End Try
        End Sub

Private Sub FillByToolStripButton_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs)
            Try
                Me.PodBookingsTableAdapter.FillBy(Me.PodBookingsDataSet.PodBookings)
            Catch ex As System.Exception
                System.Windows.Forms.MessageBox.Show(ex.Message)
            End Try
        End Sub
    End Class
    This is the code I have used, I'm currently working on a search button to search the database for specific strings inputted into a search text box.
    Last edited by THopwood; Jan 16th, 2021 at 02:19 PM.

PowerPoster

Re: I'm typing in a textbox linked to a database and it stops everything from working

Is the unasked question how to get your program to allow you to do those things?

If so, then code says it all. Please post yours, specifically any code related to the textbox linked to the database.

Re: I'm typing in a textbox linked to a database and it stops everything from working

It's whenever I type in a specific text box, there's no code for that text box. It's only linked to a column in Microsoft Access

PowerPoster

How much code is in the project? Is it a reasonable amount to post here, say, less than 100 lines? If so, then post all the code.

In what way is it linked? We need to see the code you're using for that...

Quote Originally Posted by THopwood View Post
    Title says it all
    No it doesn't and it certainly shouldn't. The post should say it all and you should be writing the post first, so including things like "the title says it all" shouldn't even be a consideration. Provide a FULL and CLEAR explanation of the problem in the post. That means an explanation of exactly what you're trying to achieve, exactly how you're trying to achieve it and exactly what happens when you try. Once you have said it all in your post, then you should write a title that is a summary of that.

I'm typing in a textbox linked to a database
    No you're not, unless you're using a Recordset, which you shouldn't be. You need to provide actual details of what you're actually doing and then we may be able to diagnose the actual problem. TextBoxes don't prevent you doing anything for no reason. Either your system is broken or something you are doing in your project is causing the problem. You should be able to describe EXACTLY what you have done so that we can do the same thing to see whether we get the same results. You should also have done some proper testing before posting, which means starting with a new project and making changes to it step by step to make it like your existing project until it breaks. When it breaks, you know the last change you made is the problem, so you can tell us what the problem is.

Yeah I apologise, I was up late working on it and I was being lazy. I've amended the original post now with the full source code of the form to hopefully give a better understanding.

Hyperactive Member

btw, in order to improve readability of your code, in text editor select all your code and press the # button.
    Please dont forget to add good reputation if my advices were useful for you.
    How? Under this post there is "RATE THIS POST" button. Click on it.

Thank you for that tip

Hyperactive Member

You re welcome. Please rate my post.
    Please dont forget to add good reputation if my advices were useful for you.
    How? Under this post there is "RATE THIS POST" button. Click on it.

There's various other stuff that could do with cleaning up but I see nothing that jumps out as being the cause of your specified issue. It's time for you to do some proper testing and debugging. I'd start by creating a TextChanged event handler for that TextBox and see whether it gets hit. If it does and there's still an issue, I'd delete the control and add a new one. If there's still an issue, I'd create a new project and build it up in stages until it is the same as your current project or the same issue occurs. If the former then it's an issue with that project specifically. If the latter then you know exactly what change caused the issue to manifest and, if nothing else, you can provide us with that information.

By the way, you should turn Option Strict On in the project properties and DO NOT turn it Off at the file level except in the rare circumstances that you need to use late binding. You should also turn it On in the VS options, so it is On by default for all future projects. Unless you need late binding, turning Option Strict Off is a lazy way to hide problems and avoid your responsibilities as a developer, i.e. to always know what data type you're using and why. Even when you do need late binding, it should still be On at the project level and turned Off in only the files that require it. Even then, partial classes should be used to keep the code in those files to an absolute minimum.

PowerPoster

I don't see any code that involves the CustomerID Textbox. Is this textbox on the body of the form or is it part of the ToolStrip? Does it lockup as soon as you type the first character in the Textbox. Does the Textbox keep focus.

Also you have no Handles clause here,
    Code:
    This doesn't make sense,
    Code:
            Try
            Catch ex As Exception
            End Try

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    I don't see any code that involves the CustomerID Textbox. Is this textbox on the body of the form or is it part of the ToolStrip? Does it lockup as soon as you type the first character in the Textbox. Does the Textbox keep focus.

Also you have no Handles clause here,
    Code:
    This doesn't make sense,
    Code:
            Try
            Catch ex As Exception
            End Try

I've fixed it now, the CustomerID textbox was set to an integer instead of a String like I wanted and the max value was -1 for some reason, I have changed that now. And the second piece of code just displays a messagebox whenever there has been an exception when searching. I still need to add the code for searching.