Thread: Toggle between two images based on filename

Addicted Member

Toggle between two images based on filename

Hi ... I am trying to toggle an image in a single image box. I am loading an image file using 'open file dialogue'. Once that image is loaded, I want to be able to toggle to the filename that matches the end charatcers criteria. For example: Load "Image1_TOP", now I want to have a toggle to allow loading "Image1_BTM". The filenames will all have a match with either _TOP or _BTM on the end. This is what I am using, but I am sending myself in circles. I can get the opposite image to load, but I can't get back to the original loaded to get that toggle action. I'm sure there must be a simpler way to do this, but I figured I have to be starting with the longest route possible. Thanks for your help and time!

Code:
     Dim sInput As String = myShrtFileName
            Dim CCASide As String
            CCASide = sInput.Substring(sInput.Length - 3)

If CheckBox1.CheckState = CheckState.Checked And CCASide = "TOP" Then
                Dim str As String = myShrtFileName
                myShrtFileName = (str.Substring(0, str.Length - 3))
                Me.PictureBox1.Image = Nothing
                PictureBox1.Image = Image.FromFile(prgPath & "\CCA_Images\" & myShrtFileName & "BTM.bmp")
                CCASide = "BTM"
            ElseIf CheckBox1.CheckState = CheckState.Checked And CCASide = "BTM" Then
                Dim str As String = myShrtFileName
                myShrtFileName = (str.Substring(0, str.Length - 3))
                PictureBox1.Image = Image.FromFile(prgPath & "\CCA_Images\" & myShrtFileName & "TOP.bmp")
                CCASide = "TOP"
            End If

If CheckBox1.CheckState = CheckState.Unchecked Then
                PictureBox1.Image = Image.FromFile(prgPath & "\CCA_Images\" & myShrtFileName & "TOP.bmp")
            ElseIf CheckBox1.CheckState = CheckState.Unchecked Then
                PictureBox1.Image = Image.FromFile(prgPath & "\CCA_Images\" & myShrtFileName & "BTM.bmp")
            End If

Re: Toggle between two images based on filename

Here is how I would approach it:
    1. Get the filename from the open file dialog
    2. Store the value in a global variable without the _TOP or _BTM suffix
    3. Load the image by appending the suffix based on the checked state of your Checkbox

Here is an example:
    Code:
    Private partialFilename As String
    Private Sub Button1_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
        Using ofd = New OpenFileDialog()
            With ofd
                ' setup the properties
                .Filter = "Images (*.bmp)|*.bmp"
                .RestoreDirectory = True

' if the user picks an image
                If (.ShowDialog() = DialogResult.Ok) Then
                    Dim filename = IO.Path.GetFileNameWithoutExtension(.FileName)
                    Dim directory = IO.Path.GetDirectoryName(.FileName)

partialFilename = IO.Path.Combine(directory, filename)
                End If
            End With
        End Using
    End Sub

Private Sub CheckBox1_CheckedChanged(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) CheckBox1.CheckedChanged
        PictureBox1.Load(If(CheckBox1.Checked, $"{partialFilename}_TOP.bmp", $"{partialFilename}_BTM.bmp"))
    End Sub
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

Addicted Member

thanks dday9... not sure what I am doing wrong, but when I select the image, it will not load into the picturebox. I don't get any error, just nothing happens. Once I try to toggle, it throws an error: Cannot find "image1_TOP_TOP" So if it adds the "_TOP", how would I rename my files to be different? Another thing I just noticed... if I load a _BTM first, the error pops up: Cannot find "Image1_BTM_TOP"

Addicted Member

Based on the code you provided... how can I detect that I am going to load -TOP or -BTM? I just discovered that this causes me an issue where I am writing to a text file based on the file (-top or -btm). So somehow I need to differentiate them. Thanks

The file is loaded dynamically every time based on the ternary If in the CheckChanged event. If the CheckBox is checked then it loads {partialFilename}_TOP.bmp otherwise it loads {partialFilename}_BTM.bmp
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

I would not be loading the file every time unless you're confident that you'll only toggle a small number of times. Otherwise, you'll be creating a large number of Image objects from the same. In that case, I'd create both Image objects up front and assign them to variables or put them in an array, then get them from there each time. If you did stick to the suggested method, I'd make one small change to the code, from this:
    Code:
    PictureBox1.Load(If(CheckBox1.Checked, $"{partialFilename}_TOP.bmp", $"{partialFilename}_BTM.bmp"))
    to this:
    Code:
    PictureBox1.Load($"{partialFilename}_{If(CheckBox1.Checked, "TOP", "BTM")}.bmp")

Addicted Member

jmcilhinney... thank you for your time and help! I am certainly open to suggestions as I am totally open on how to approach this. For what you were explaining, do you have an example of how that would be done? For my project, the user will load either top or btm first based on what they have, they will then toggle back and forth a few times. Thanks again!

The point of an example is to demonstrate a principle and you then implement the principle in your own scenario. An "example" of what I described would be the whole thing, so it wouldn't be an example; it would be a solution. What you need to do is break it down and determine what the principles are, look for examples of those, then use what you learned to build a solution. I said:
    I'd create both Image objects up front and assign them to variables
    Are you really saying that you can't find examples of creating Image objects or assigning objects to variables? I would hope not. Once you've got the Image objects, all you need is some logic to switch between two objects. You already have an example of that. You just need to understand the principle and then adapt it to do what you need to do. You have access to all the examples you need. You need to understand them and then apply some logic to adapt the principles to your own scenario. If you try something and it doesn't work, then you have a question to ask here.

Addicted Member

Thanks for the push on that, I will start looking into this option and report back with any issues.